Heroes of the Ancient World

Started by VandalSavage, December 02, 2008, 05:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

Yay.  Sienna likes my ideas.  ::just dies!::

:D

Hey, Ae; maybe your character could also be a minor ritualist, too.  Like, she was an ancient oracle who succumbed to the power she was vested upon.  I know it would be retconning mythology, but maybe the snakes of Apollo once licked Athenae's ears to give her the powers of premonition and danger sense, with a bit of precognition and postcognition!  And Athena cursed/bestowed upon you as a Gorgon, and now you work as an AGENT for one of the Gods.

::has entered rambling zone!::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Aestas

You know, i looked medusa up on Wiki to gather extraneous information on gorgons. XD such as the name of her sisters and whatnot. 

One of the stories of Medusa's origins *other than being born to titans* is that she was a handmaiden of athena who was raped by a sea god, and athena cursed her as punishment.

XD also, i think at this point you are making things way more complicated than they strictly need to be. XD  Precognition and post cognition might be a bit of overkill?

VandalSavage

Quote from: Aestas on December 04, 2008, 02:47:08 PM
XD also, i think at this point you are making things way more complicated than they strictly need to be.

It is a very charming trait though, I find. 

I am rather taken by the amount of creativity that I have seen here over such a narrow span of time.  It's exhilarating.

Here is a point of simplification, though, on a certain level:  Having received my fourth application, and being happy with the solid three that I have so far, I am closing applications.

We now have Aestas, Kol and Vella as definite regulars, a few guest stars confirmed, and a fourth application rapidly wending its way toward total approval.

Welcome, all.  I will be creating an In-Character Roleplaying Thread tomorrow and will present you with your first list of targets to talk over, both in character and out.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

PhantomPistoleer

Hmph.  Making characters in this setting is difficult, especially when they have God like powers.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 05, 2008, 12:19:52 AM
Hmph.  Making characters in this setting is difficult, especially when they have God like powers.

What makes you opine so, my good Pistoleer?

PhantomPistoleer

I was trying to create a gestalt character named "Seven Against Thebes," with Diomedes being the main identity; but Diomedes is this really powerful guy.  You could easily plop 50 power points in his attributes alone.

It's not impossible to create him, but it will be hard!  :o
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 05, 2008, 12:58:12 AM
I was trying to create a gestalt character named "Seven Against Thebes," with Diomedes being the main identity; but Diomedes is this really powerful guy.  You could easily plop 50 power points in his attributes alone.

It's not impossible to create him, but it will be hard!  :o

Diomedes was always my favorite hero in the Iliad.  He was fierce, but cunning.  A schemer, but not shy from a fight.  And, eventually, was deified.

It was also terrific that he stabbed Ares and made him cry like a wuss.

PhantomPistoleer

I wouldn't call him a schemer, Vandal!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 05, 2008, 01:07:46 AM
I wouldn't call him a schemer, Vandal!

Well, he was in on the whole "Let's stab the Thracians in their sleep" gambit with Odysseus.  And the theft of the Palladium.

Pretty crafty guy, I'd say. 

Oh, and remember the time he talked the one Trojan warrior out of giving him the Trojan's superior armor, by claiming their family ties?  That was rich.

PhantomPistoleer

Perhaps it would be better to say that Diomedes was an opportunist.

He killed the Thracians and stole Rhesus' horses after a spy told him that the Thracians were the weakest.  He also stole Aeneas' horses.  He stole the Pallas.  He took that guy's golden armor, too.  And he stole the bow of Philotectes to make him come to Troy...

::taps his chin::

Hmm. :/

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

And his old man ate brains during a battle.

It's a heck of a family.

PhantomPistoleer

Yeah, Tideus always struck me as something of a psychopath.

When I was in seventh grade, I couldn't really understand the epigoni, you know?  By the sounds of it, it sounded like there was an element of time travel to it.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 05, 2008, 01:28:04 AM
Yeah, Tideus always struck me as something of a psychopath.

When I was in seventh grade, I couldn't really understand the epigoni, you know?  By the sounds of it, it sounded like there was an element of time travel to it.

Another fun seventh grade fact - my first D&D character was Tydeus.  I drew a crude picture of him that kind of looks like something Seth would draw in an attempt to insult Greek heroes.  I know I ate brains, but I cannot recall whose they were.

Then I read The Silmarillion, and then it was nothing but psychopathic elven knights for the next two years.

PhantomPistoleer

I was first exposed to D&D when I was in sixth grade.

I thought it was retarded so I passed.  I tried it again in my freshman year of college and it was awesome!

Well, so long, Vandal!  I am going to sleep.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

wrathflame

Hey everyone! I will join this game as a guest. I've read the already posted descriptions, and I am honoured to have the opportunity of playing with such passionate writers, I only hope I can keep up and may this be a wonderful game for us all! This is my character, if anyone wants something to be added, corrected, modified, please tell me.

Galla Valeria

Race: human

Description:  Galla stands at 5 feet 5. She is not the tallest woman imaginable, far from it, considering she’s trained alongside Amazons. She has a curvaceous figure, full breasts and hips that demand attention, strong, capable legs and a slim waist. She has large blue eyes, blue as the sky and ocean combined, a hue that stands out and is perfectly visible and attractive. Her long, raven hair falls down her back. While with the Amazons, she braided it as they did, but she prefers it loose. She has a soft tan, and her features are a combination of delicate and strong, as is her personality.

Attire: Normally, she wears a tunic, wrapped around her waist with a belt, on which she hangs her sword and dagger. The tunic ends above her knees. She wears sandals and over her tunic she wears a long cloak. In war, she used light leather armor. 

Abilities: She does not possess any mystical skills, she is purely a physical warrior. She is extremely deadly with a sword (she uses a Roman short sword), and with a dagger. As an Amazon, she has received ample bow training, but she has never excelled in it, since she is impatient and high-strung, therefore, loves to interact in hand-to-hand combat. She is an extremely talented dancer, and she will use this skill to befriend one of her handlers in her time as a slave.

History:

Galla Valeria was born in one of Rome’s most prestigious families. But, due to some issues in this large dynasty, her side of the family was disgraced and therefore, shunned, very little contact being maintained between the two sides. Hers was an unlucky fate, since she was born and lived in one of Rome’s poorest areas. However, her childhood was not an unhappy one. Her father quickly discovered a stable and healthy income source and became a well-respected tradesman. Galla was the oldest of four children, and she spent her childhood helping her mother raise her smaller siblings, helping around the house and living like any normal Roman child. But Galla was not truly happy, not really. She knew she had to stay away from soldiers, since most would not say no to the chance of using her for their own amusement. She was becoming more and more beautiful as the years passed, and her father was already searching for a suitable husband for her. But this was not what Galla wanted. She desired to be around soldiers, as one of them. She loved what the Roman army stood for and her dreams took her to battlefields in the far-away corners of the empire, fighting alongside the men she so respected. At the age of 16, Galla made the decision that would change her life: she would become a soldier, no matter what.

She did her best to disguise herself. She cut her hair until it was merely a shade on her head, she hid her tell-tale body parts and did as much research as she could. She had limited skills with weapons, but was an energetic and eager learner. However, though her appearance may have fooled the careless recruiters, her lack of skills and overall feminine frailty were not ignored. She was not allowed in the army. Feeling dejected, betrayed, unable to understand the reasons for the harsh refusal, Galla left Rome, swearing to never return to the cruel, unfair city, a city that proved unfair to a woman.

For an immense amount of time, Galla wanders aimlessly in the wild, with very little money and with just the clothes she had on. Sometimes she stole what she needed to survive, but most of the times, she fled out of the way of possible dangers. She used knives and heavy sticks as weapons against wild animals, and more than once escaped death out of sheer luck. Somehow, finally, she managed to reach the shores, the southern shores of the Roman Empire. As the waves lapped against her body, she collapsed and knew she would die soon, hoped she would die soon. Just as she fainted, succumbing to fatigue and weakness, ships were preparing to leave. Pirate ships. Amazon ships. A woman, a strong, beautiful woman with ebony skin and a certain power over many others like her, saw the child and, not knowing her identity, took her aboard.

When Galla woke up, she was surprised to find numerous dark-skinned women, some wild-looking, all of them clad in leather armors, with exotic weapons, staring down at her. In a none-too-friendly manor. She thought she would die, and she probably would have been killed, had she been a man. But Myrine, the queen of the Gorgon Amazons would not kill a girl who so resembled herself merely a few years in the past, before her innocence was taken away by war. She accepted Galla in her crew, and took her under her wing, so to speak. Thus began a great friendship, a mentor-pupil relationship. Galla learned that her identity as a woman was priceless, and that she could be strong and respected, even more so, without trying to fit in with the men. Myrine taught her the ways of the warriors, she helped her develop her battle techniques and even shared in war strategy. But most of all, Myrine understood Galla’s wild nature, her restless, energetic, flaming soul, and taught her self-control. She made Galla understand that the purpose of war was not that of gaining pleasure. No, there was no pleasure in the bloodshed of others, no matter how guilty they were. Myrine was honourable, and thus, Galla was immersed in her teachings and shared in her honour. Together, they fought side by side and learned much about eachother. She shows her how to use everything about her, the physical and the mental, to her utter advantage. And she shows her the way of the Amazon.

Galla joins Myrine in her journey to Themiscyra, where they join in the battles against the mercenaries and bandits sent by Rome. Galla is amazed at the wonders she witnesses there, but she is also devastated by the plunders, death and unfairness. She is crushed by betrayal and torture, and she realizes that war is not partly horrid, it is truly the worst kind of horror, and no matter the outcome, there is no true winner. Unfortunately, Galla and the Amazons fighting at her side do not have the satisfaction of at least sharing in a pseudo-victory. They are throttled by the allies of Rome, but mostly by slavers and mercenaries, and by opposing groups of Amazons. Myrine and Galla get separated, and Galla is crushed when she believes her mentor dead.

Galla is badly wounded and taken by the Scarlet Harvest, a group of hunters and slavers. When she comes to her senses, she risks being raped and killed by the unscrupulous, savage men known as the Hunters, the ones who collect the slaves initially. Galla fights with all her strength, and, luckily for her, she is observed by a woman, an opposing Amazon of a different nature – a more sadistic nature -, Lia. She likes the girl’s spirit and she protects her from abuse and keeps her virginity intact. At first, Galla despises Lia and her blood-thirsty ways, but when she sees that staying with Lia is better than living in a cage, she calms down, and does what her mistress asks of her, which is usually to dance and perform certain acrobatics. Galla dances a combination several tribal dances, they are all a great performance, filled with sensuality, animalistic passion and released sexuality. Galla refines her dancing skills with the help of another slave, one very close to Lia, named Darby. Galla finds a friend in her, and for a short time, she feels not so estranged. However, Lia had no intention of allowing a slave, no matter how talented, to fraternize with someone who might know certain secrets regarding her or the Reaver (the head of the slavers), so she has Galla taken away to her cages again. She is not harmed, but she is left to rot in the cages while the slave traders ride slowly to Rome.

In Rome, Galla is brought to the slave market. She had not been fed and is weak, wild and very angry. She still keeps in mind Myrine’s teaching, but she despises Rome, the treacherous pigs who fought for them, the horrid slavers and hunters and she vows only revenge and destruction upon anyone who dares touch her. She awaits in a cage, almost naked, exposed to the public, seething with anger and untamed fury. She is now 18.

As for her past relationships: Galla and Myrine were very close. So close, in fact, that Myrine became attracted to her. Once, they were training, mock fighting. Myrine was trying to help Galla  improve her bow techniques, but was failing because Galla refused to focus. Frustrated with her student, Myrine became rather aggressive and tried to convince Galla of the necessity of learning how to use this very efficient weapon, the representative weapon of the Amazons. They started fighting and Galla managed to defeat Myrine in close combat and instantly, the battle was taken to the ground. As they struggled to gain control and supremacy, Myrine dared to kiss her rebellious ward. It was a strange, new, awkward experience for Galla, who had never been with a man, not to mention, a woman. But a few stolen kisses and tender touches was all that happened between them. Galla was not in the least bit bisexual, and she could not fathom to be with a woman. Myrine understood and stepped back, refusing to confuse her. Galla has never fallen in love, but she has always believed in love. A strange, enigmatic creature, a man of great power and charm, a leader, though a secretive, phantomatic one, was the one called Azuriel. He led one of the enemy groups in the wars for Themiscyra. Galla has never met him, and he has never met her, but they have heard stories of the other. However, in war one does not attempt to meet fascinating people, one fights enemies, and Galla did just that. She did not hear anything of Azuriel during her time as a slave. Last but not least, there is a certain association, albeit not a direct one, with the one called Caius Valerius Argentum. When Galla was a child and nothing more, a peculiar figure appeared in the house of her wealthy family. She had never seen it, since she did not live with them, but stories of great deeds, epic victories and kind acts, the author of which was this “Silver Man” reached her ears. Also, rumours that her cousins benefited of this man as their mentor. In a way, one could say that he was one of the reasons why Galla desired to become a warrior herself. She never thought she would meet him…
Wrath is the sin that embraces me and gives me wings of fire...

PhantomPistoleer

(This is sort of a work in progress!)

Bringing Down the Gates: Seven Against Thebes (10 PL/150pp)

The Lord of the Battlecry, possessor of the bust of Pallas and chosen of grey-eyed Athena, a man of war and a man of peace, a man of action and a man of council, behold thy fate: to live forgotten, but alive; to be immortal, but without glory; for all the men who fought beside you, the Sons of Atrius, Ajax, son of Telamon, and the son of Oilius, too; even Hermes-descended Odysseus, grandson of the King of Thieves, with his cunning eye and reddish brown hair, who twice tried to poison you, who twice fled from combat; cowards and misers, fools and defiers, all remembered better than you.

Attributes
STR: 16 (+3)  DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 16 (+3) WIS: 16 (+3)  INT: 16 (+3) CHA: 16 (+3)

Skills
Acrobatics 6
Bluff 6
Climb 6
Intimidate 6
Knowledge (Geography) 6
Knowledge (The Gods) 6
Knowledge (Tactics) 6
Notice 6
Ride 6
Sense Motive 6
Survival 6
Stealth 6

Feats
Fighting Style:
Accurate Attack
Critical Strike (Spear) (19-20)
Improved Defense
Interpose
Set-Up
Takedown Attack
Teamwork 2

Equipment 2
Fearless
Leadership
Master Plan
Inspire 2

Powers:

Diomedian Excellence:
Enhanced Strength 4 [5pp]
Alternate: Super Strength 2
Enhanced Dexterity 4 [4pp]
Enhanced Constitution 4 [4pp]
Diomedian Battlecry:  Sonic Control 10 (Flaw: Tiring) [20pp]
Linked: Emotion Control 10 (Flaw: Only One Emotion (Fear)

Athena’s Grace:
Super Senses 1: Awareness (See Divine)
Device 4 (Flaw: Easy to Lose, Flaw: Never Against Immortals) [8pp]

Olympian Divinity:
Immunity
Super Senses 8:  Precognition, Postcognition
Alternate Power: Regeneration 8 (Resurrection 8)

Attributes 36 + Skills 18 + Feats 15 +

Fiery helmet/shield

See Gods

The Horses of Aeneas and Rhesus

Golden Armor

Diomedes
Alcmaeon      Madness of the Posessor
Amphilochus   Insight into the Heavens (
Euryalus      Boxing Spirit (Feats)
Promachus      Runner’s Sprint (Speed)
Sthenelus      Protean Blood (Shapeshifting)
Thersander   Cunning Bribe

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

Quote from: wrathflame on December 05, 2008, 10:20:36 AM

Galla Valeria

Marvelous, wrathflame.  There is much in that background that I look forward to nurturing into critical conflicts within the game, a couple of which will sprout fast enough to entangle the opening scene itself.

Welcome to Galla Valeria, and woe to Rome.

VandalSavage

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 05, 2008, 10:23:20 AM
(This is sort of a work in progress!)

Bringing Down the Gates: Seven Against Thebes (10 PL/150pp)

It is also sort of great.

First of all, I love 'Seven Against Thebes'.  It is a nifty play, if not the best read, and a personal favorite.

Second, your ambition and adoration for complexity is compelling.  I am eager to watch this develop.

Lastly, great to see you making a character.

Between wrathflame's narrative contribution and the intriguing system sheet, my morning is made.

I am about done with the Enemies of Rome profiles, and will post them this afternoon.

PhantomPistoleer

I always thought that the Seven Against Thebes was somewhat plotless.  But then again, I always thought that the kids that defeated Thebes (I always think of them as kids) were unborn and thus had to travel into the past to do it.  ::laughs::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

VandalSavage

~ Origins ~

The BEHEMOTH IN BRONZE

Formative Fiasco of the Heroes Antica

Who sent the Behemoth in Bronze to descend on Ostia?  Where did it come from?  What was the

origin of its awesome mechanisms, its dazzling science that pulled the power of Helios from the

sky to smite the land?

Those questions are yet to be answered, if even they have answers.  But what is known is that on

the Ides of September, 65 BC, the port of Ostia saw darkness fall at midday - when the shadow of

a colossal man, two-hundred feet in height and craft of bronze metalwork, fell on its naked

thoroughfares and suddenly fragile homes.

Against such a menace, no Roman soldier could stand.  Even the bravest could only herd the

fleeing mobs as the Behemoth rose from the harbor, stalking onto the land to trample and to burn.

Thousands raced from its plodding step as it crushed the warehouses and apartments of the dock,

whole ecologies of sealife sluicing from where its emergence from the Mediterranean - "Rome's

Lake" once, but not that day - had trapped them.  Sheathed in algae, its titanic form smashed

building upon building with all the absent care befitting a god.  And most terrible, lenses in

its palms flashed to send burning light all around.

No Roman soldier, nor the lowliest urchin or loftiest politician could stand against that menace.

But those who would become known to secret circles of concerned Senators as "The Heroes" could

not do otherwise.  They had to stand.  Their powers demanded no less of a responsibility from

them.

One by one, they removed themselves from the fleeing crowds, and one by one, they came to stop

the colossus.  The Man of Silver, on his wings of pure light.  Sthenae, with her deadly agilities

and secret ways.  Sybl, who could see and shape the future with powers arcane.  Dionysios, the

Son of Mysteries.  And Seven Against Thebes, the Living Saga. 

One by one, they were cast down.

But together they banded, and together they stood.  They plotted together, hot with the temper of

battle and the touch of dread Phoebus, and they rallied.  Together, they sundered the unstoppable

rampage of the Behemoth in Bronze, and sent him retreating into the sea.

Since then, to combat the possible return of the Behemoth and to crush menaces like him before

they threaten the good people of the free west, The Heroes have stay togethered.  Secreted away

in the tunnels beneath a seaside Ostian tavern and supported by the former Consul, Catulus, The

Heroes now hunt down the menaces to the Republic that its people cannot face or should not know

of.

Their destiny is sacred and clear.  Their enemies have been numbered.  And they strive with one

mission in mind:

To be the menace to the menaces of this world - the brightest flame in the shining light of The

Republic.

Transgirlenstein

Just posting my character, I have his stats as well which I can just send to Vandal.

Dionysios

A strange satyr, slightly talle rand more muscular then the average of his race.  In his ears he wears gold rings, a grape vine is tattooed along his side.  At his side he clutches an axe, a power artifact that he uses in his battles.  The question though is where did he come from and where does he disapear too when he is not adventuring and fighting alongside the Heroes Antica?

While he has never answered the second one, he has answered the first.  Once he was a normal satyr of his kind, he was one of the lucky few who was choosen to travel with Dionysus to the far off lands of India.  At that time he was unnamed, he had no other purpose except that of his kind..chasing nymphs and scaring lost travellers in the woods.  But he had a purpose the moment he decided to follow this younger god. 

When they were in India, Dionysus's group was attacked by an unknown enemy.  During the battle Dionysus was knocked to the ground but before he could be struck, an axe was imbedded in the back of the would be god-slayer.  From that day on Dionysus shared not only his personal wine but also his bed with this satyr giving him the name Dionysios (meaning 'beloved of Dionysus').  He was also gifted with his axe, an artifact that allows him some small control over emotions and also to strike too. 

It is known that the satyr lives somewhere in the city but what is unknown is why no one can seem to find where he lives.  He has kept quiet on this part so far though perhaps one of his team mates might find out.

STR: 20 (+5)   DEX: 15 (+2)  CON: 20 (+5)  INT: 10  WIS: 10  CHA: 20 (+5)
TOUGHNESS: +12  FORT: +12  REF: +8  WILL: +5
ATTACK: +8/+10 with Axe  DEFENSE: +7

SKILLS
ACROBATICS: +12
HANDLE ANIMAL: +7
INTIMIDATE: +20
NOTICE: +5
PERFORM (DANCE): +15
PERFORM (PANPIPES): +10
PROFESSION (WINEMAKER): +5
STEALTH: +7
SURVIVAL: +15

FEATS
ALL-OUT ATTACK
DIE HARD
DISTRACT (INTIMIDATE)
ENDURANCE
EVASION
FEARLESS
FEARSOME PRESENCE: 5
IMP. CRITICAL (AXE)
IMP. OVERRUN
RAGE (10 ROUNDS OF RAGING, MAX. RAGING BONUS)
TAKEDOWN ATTACK
TRACK

POWERS
CONCEALMENT: 2
-LIMITED: FOREST, NORMAL VISION. INNATE ABILITY
DEVICE: 3
-VULVA AXE: EMOTION CONTROL 4, STRIKE (ACCURATE, MIGHTY) 5
LEAPING: 5
MORPH: 5
-CAN ONLY MORPH INTO ONE SPECIFIC WOMAN.
SPEED: 1
SUPER-MOVEMENT: 2
-INNATE ABILITY, SURE-FOOTED, TRACKLESS
SUPER SENSES: 1
-DIRECTION SENSE
SUPER STRENGTH: 2

Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

VandalSavage

Heroes - your enemies will be found here:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=25303.0

Discuss them freely in that thread, out of character or, if you wish to set a scene, in character.

I will be adding more to the list throughout the day.

Character Sheet reviews for Aestas and Trippingsatyr are also forthcoming.

VandalSavage

Heroes:

All your enemies are posted.

And now your tavern, The Cellar of Mysteries - the place for Freeform play and plotting your hunts of the Enemies of Rome, in character - is open.

In the first scene, slavers deposit a new girl - she is played by wrathflame. 

The Heroes were assumed to have been hiding during the time when the "civilians," the slavers, were present.

As for the mystery of Myrine's presence, you have no prior knowledge of it.

The Cellar of Mysteries has many tunnels under it; it is an old fortress.  You can decide the lay out, and it is assumed that you all have several rooms below.

It has been operational for about a month now, but if you so desire, you could have arrived any time during that period, or have yet to show up.

All that is definite in terms of where characters are, is that wrathflame's character has been deposited by slave handlers at the bar.

If there are any questions about posting, backstory or such, by all means, use our OOC thread.

It can be found here.