News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Microsoft Office 2007

Started by Cyra, October 20, 2010, 07:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyra

Hi everyone :-*
I'm not sure that this is the place for me to be asking this, but I'll do it anyhow, so here it goes.
I bought a new laptop in July that obviously had Office '07 pre-installed.  Somehow (and I'm still not sure how), my son deleted the entire thing >:(  I downloaded the Office '10 trial version but that's only good till the 26th of this month and time is running out.  I've talked to people at Microsoft and have gotten nowhere quick with them regarding reinstalling '07.
All of my college papers have to be APA formatted with '07 since the school doesn't have '10 yet. Is there a site that I can go to to get '07?
HELP!!!

Zeitgeist

The laptop you bought with Office '07 doesn't have an accompanying CD with it, with Office '07 on it? If the retailer is selling them I have to believe they would provide media with it also?

Cyra

Since it was pre-installed, there was no disc with it.  If it did, then I would be able to re-install with the code.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Cyra on October 20, 2010, 08:25:36 AM
Since it was pre-installed, there was no disc with it.  If it did, then I would be able to re-install with the code.

If it was pre-installed by the retailer, then they should either provide media or re-install it for you. If on the other hand you bought it from an individual then you may be out of luck. Typically when you buy a new laptop/computer and you purchase Office 2007 with it, it comes pre-installed. You've paid for it, you should be given the media also. I understand you don't have it in your possession right now, but it should be given to you.

Cyra

It was purchased at our local Wal-Mart and was pre-installed by the retailer.
If I have to have them re-install Office, will I end up being without my laptop or do you know if that's something they can do right there in the store?

Oniya

That might depend on how busy they are.  An installation of Office shouldn't take more than a couple hours, but they wouldn't even have to watch it while it does it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cyra

Thanks Oniya and Zamdrist.  I've been to the store and get the run around from them...guess I'll just have to let my natural assertiveness come through.

Hunter

You can also try OpenOffice and see if that works.   It's free and darn near identical.  (www.openoffice.org)

Cyra

Thanks. I'll check it out and see what the layout is like.

Trieste

Have you tried a system restore, Cyra? I don't recall whether it'll restore deleted files or not, but it's worth a shot.

Also, remember to check the garbage can ... obvious but can be missed in a panic. OpenOffice is okay, but it kinda sucks if you're used to MS Word/Excel/etc.

Cyra

Quote from: Trieste on October 20, 2010, 10:06:43 AM
Have you tried a system restore, Cyra? I don't recall whether it'll restore deleted files or not, but it's worth a shot.
Also, remember to check the garbage can ... obvious but can be missed in a panic. OpenOffice is okay, but it kinda sucks if you're used to MS Word/Excel/etc.

One of my good friends is a computer tech. and I called him when this happened-he said system restore also; so I tried it and it made my system worse than what it was! I ended up taking it in to him to get de-bugged and he said that there was nothing that he could do either-Office Word '07 is no where to be found.

Trieste

Blech. You might try to see if you can get 2007 cheap from Microsoft's Ultimate Steal site, since you're a student, but I think they might be offering only the 2010 version.

HockeyGod

If you're still in school, you might be able to get it through them. I purchased 2007 for $7.00 from my school.

And OpenOffice...not so hot with PowerPoint either.

Cyra

Quote from: alxnjsh on October 20, 2010, 10:31:23 AM
And OpenOffice...not so hot with PowerPoint either.

Not worried about P.P. since I still have that...it's Word that's M.I.A. 
Will be on campus tomorrow, will talk to them about obtaining a bootleg legal copy.

Scott

I've got a 2003 version running around here somewhere you're welcome to.

Cyra

Hi Scott and thanks for the offer.  I have '03 as well as '05 & a downloaded trial version of '10.  Unfortunately, it's only Word in '07 that I need.  Seems to be difficult to obtain.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Cyra on October 20, 2010, 08:32:24 AM
It was purchased at our local Wal-Mart and was pre-installed by the retailer.
If I have to have them re-install Office, will I end up being without my laptop or do you know if that's something they can do right there in the store?

Since it was purchased from a retailer, Wal-Mart would have to be an authorized reseller. Meaning, not only would Office 2007 (Including Word) be pre-installed there has to be media with it. You purchased it, you're entitled to an actual CD copy of the software you purchased, pre-installed or otherwise.

Presuming you've gone through all the CDs you were given along with the laptop, and none of them are Office 2007, then I would go back to Wal-Mart and say WTF?

Sometimes software is sold online and unless you request the media, and for a small cost, you can get the media. But I don't believe that is the case with Office 2007. Either you, or Wal-Mart has the CD or can get it for you.

Cyra

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on October 20, 2010, 08:58:25 PM
Presuming you've gone through all the CDs you were given along with the laptop, and none of them are Office 2007, then I would go back to Wal-Mart and say WTF?
Difficult to go through the CD's I got with my laptop when I didn't get any...hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the store I go.