Drow Academy (D&D 3.5) - Please read for Q&A

Started by sleepingferret, March 26, 2014, 06:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anon315

My character plans to be a toadie. Who needs a toadie?

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Anon315 on March 29, 2014, 07:52:07 PM
My character plans to be a toadie. Who needs a toadie?

I do! I do! My character is a manipulative little wench and could use someone to do the heavy lifting.

Countdown0

My character can summon toadies as needed :P
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

RubySlippers

Can a Master player have that as a second character?

sleepingferret

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 29, 2014, 08:15:17 PM
Can a Master player have that as a second character?

They can, please send me your interest in which role you want to take.  And we can discuss the details.

Anon315

Quote from: Foxy Oni on March 29, 2014, 07:59:11 PM
I do! I do! My character is a manipulative little wench and could use someone to do the heavy lifting.

As long as the heavy lifting is proverbial.... what with the being a weakling.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Anon315 on March 29, 2014, 10:37:19 PM
As long as the heavy lifting is proverbial.... what with the being a weakling.

Proverbial works for me!

Countdown0

Hey ferret, I have a question.

In regards to the starting items that we will be given, like the more martial types being given drowcraft weapons and such, since my character is a Wizard, do I get to make requests as to what kind of items I would get? Obviously, nothing ridiculous, like a Ring of Three Wishes or a Staff of Power, but you know, some kind of caster appropriate items.

Also, I'm assume that such requests, should we get to make them, ought to be PM'd to you or ghostwheel?

Or will you just give items that you feel are appropriate?

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Foxy DeVille

Hmmm... we need more girls keen to join this party. Otherwise my character is gonna be spending a lot of time filing her nails in Arach-Tinilith.

Countdown0

Quote from: Foxy Oni on March 29, 2014, 11:20:08 PM
Hmmm... we need more girls keen to join this party. Otherwise my character is gonna be spending a lot of time filing her nails in Arach-Tinilith.

You'd rather her have more people planning on stabbing her in the back?

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

sleepingferret

Quote from: Countdown0 on March 29, 2014, 10:56:35 PM
Hey ferret, I have a question.

In regards to the starting items that we will be given, like the more martial types being given drowcraft weapons and such, since my character is a Wizard, do I get to make requests as to what kind of items I would get? Obviously, nothing ridiculous, like a Ring of Three Wishes or a Staff of Power, but you know, some kind of caster appropriate items.

Also, I'm assume that such requests, should we get to make them, ought to be PM'd to you or ghostwheel?

Or will you just give items that you feel are appropriate?

Any discussion of character concepts, starting arms and armor...or magical "toys" for spellcasters needs to be PM'd to me.

sleepingferret

As I have been giving out items I have been getting requests for mithral armor.  Mithral, is a shiny or at the very least a silvery metal...drow live in a near light-less, world things where things like mithral would reflect very badly off the slightest glow off what little natural light there is.  Which is why while heavier (well no heavier than ordinary steel, but certainly stronger), they tend to favor the darker colored adamantine.  It is a trade off, even for the more stealth favoring drow.

Right now, I have been giving people +1 drowcraft adamantine armor.  While heavier, you do realize the full cost and actual combat value of just this one item is?  Drowcraft armors give a +2 deflection bonus to their Armor Class.  So for all intents and purposes you are getting +1 armor and a +2 ring of protection rolled into one.  Adamantine, gives a small damage reduction bonus for armor and for light armor users it is only 1 point, medium armor 2 points, and heavy armor 3 points; but that is still damage subtracted from incoming physical hits.

Low Strength score you say?  You live in a world where weaknesses are frowned upon and anyone that would be wearing armor had better have the Strength to do so, is my answer.  Wizards are about the only ones that wouldn't be "lifting" weights or who would spend so much time with their noses buried in their spellbooks that their Strength scores would suck, so if you gave them armor to wear they'd probably drop to their knees from the weight.

And look at the standard armor weight charts, don't even think about ANY special materials.  Leather armors, which can't be made of any special materials anyways... weigh 15-20 lbs (20 for studded), so for D&D purposes those aren't exactly a "cakewalk" either in terms of weight for people looking for a way to "save" on encumbrance.

SO, since I have what seems like a million requests to answer for this and that.... I'm going to answer at least just this one, right up front and cover it all in public... BUT, if I have already given you your DM Granted Stuff list, you MUST report back to me if you intend on changing.

I did put in my custom rules section that there can be "blackened" mithral, and this will be the ONLY mithral that will be available in the city, as far as finished items.  I put listings for ammunition and weapons, but unless you really need to save weight on your weapons...I seriously doubt anyone is going to need a mithral weapon as mithral doesn't bypass any special damage reductions or anything like that.

Anyways, OK.  For anyone wanting mithral armor... here's the deal.  And listen carefully, as I'm not going to play "ring around the rosy" about this.

You have a choice, as I've said I have been giving out +1 drowcraft adamantine armors, so you can either:

• A) Take the +1 drowcraft adamantine armor
  • B) Take "blackened" mithral armor

So essentially it comes down to, do you want the extra protection or do you want to loose the weight?  Actual acceptable starting armor type choices are still up to my decision, although for anyone I have given a DM Granted Stuff list to and you are merely wanting to just switch to "blackened" mithral of the same type, you may do so.

For anyone wanting leather armor (or studded leather), please still see me for discussion about such.

Blinkin

Ummm, sorry for being dense, +2 deflection for drow crafted? Does that mean that all attacks, or just ranged attacks are effected?

I'm not complaining, I just associate deflection with missile weapons and want to make sure that 3.5 didn't sneak something by me while I was scratching my head.

No problem with the Adamantine stuff, it works just ducky for me. :)

If I had a question, does Drow crafted have any other effects on weapons aside from the enchantment bonus?

One final question, and I think that I'm done with the questions... I know, I know, I ask lots of questions...Is blackened Mithral lacquered, or treated with a substance that dulls it's reflective values. I was curious because, technically, armors have been lacquered in a variety of ways and colors for centuries. Not painted, but, but enamaled is better of a term I guess. I know that strikes can damage the finish, and therefore the shine show through, but that may also be an option for the chrome effect.

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

sleepingferret

Quote from: Blinkin on March 31, 2014, 11:40:40 AM
Ummm, sorry for being dense, +2 deflection for drow crafted? Does that mean that all attacks, or just ranged attacks are effected?

I'm not complaining, I just associate deflection with missile weapons and want to make sure that 3.5 didn't sneak something by me while I was scratching my head.

No problem with the Adamantine stuff, it works just ducky for me. :)

If I had a question, does Drow crafted have any other effects on weapons aside from the enchantment bonus?

One final question, and I think that I'm done with the questions... I know, I know, I ask lots of questions...Is blackened Mithral lacquered, or treated with a substance that dulls it's reflective values. I was curious because, technically, armors have been lacquered in a variety of ways and colors for centuries. Not painted, but, but enamaled is better of a term I guess. I know that strikes can damage the finish, and therefore the shine show through, but that may also be an option for the chrome effect.

Well first, drowcraft armor... deflection bonuses in D&D are just a type of Armor Class bonus.  They count against attacks that are made that someone would have to roll against your Armor Class, both ranged and melee.

Drowcraft weapons provide a +2 luck bonus to attack and damage, aside from the enchantment bonus of the weapon itself.  So the +1 drowcraft weapons I have been giving people, by math are giving a total of +3 to attack and damage.  However, for purposes of bypassing damage reduction and such, they are only +1 weapons.

Blackened mithral has been "colored" during forging using oxidizing or oil-quenching processes; or sometimes with the aid of magics. 

sleepingferret

Ok first, your character's religion must be role-played...I will post a "rule" about this as a reminder and something "official", but I wanted to make an announcement for now.  It doesn't have to be a primary focus, but it has to be clear enough so that it is a characteristic of your character.

Remember your character lives in a female clergy of Lolth controlled world, and the Spider Queen does not tolerate competition.  If you do so happen to worship another deity, you'll have to pay "lip service" to Lolth or just be extremely good in hiding your true faith.

Second, YOU are NOT surface elves!  YOU have never been to the surface!  So where in the Abyss or the Nine Hells would you obtain a short bow or long bow?  For one, think realistically about your characters' surroundings and the size of a bow.  Sure within the city cavern itself, the weapon could be "effectively" be used.  But outside the city, there are several tunnels and caverns it would be probably useless due to the size of the weapon.  So tactically, crossbows are going to be more effective ranged weapons for underground.  While they aren't exactly your "fast" loading or multiple shot weapons, if you need a long range weapon, that's the weapon of choice.

RubySlippers

My Master character loves Lolth, the rogue hates her guts like her patron god but well pays lip service to her.

sleepingferret

Wait... you kiss spiders.... *raises eyebrows* I have to see this, this is going to be interesting, goes to find popcorn.

Countdown0

Quote from: sleepingferret on March 31, 2014, 06:36:04 PM
Wait... you kiss spiders.... *raises eyebrows* I have to see this, this is going to be interesting, goes to find popcorn.

Careful, you're male. If she finds your presence insulting, she might sacrifice you. Here, have some binoculars *hands binoculars*

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

RubySlippers

My rogue is low borne and the Master more likely would summon something, unpleasant, to deal with the offender.

Countdown0

Fair enough. But if she's female, being low born isn't that much of a constraint when it comes to bossing males around.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

RubySlippers

Actually she feels both genders are equal, one reason her Patron deity is not on good terms with Lolth. In public she clearly will feel superior to most of the fighter students being female and look down on them of course.

Countdown0

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

sleepingferret

Just a quick "sales" pitch.... still two Master slots available, if anyone is interested.  Current players or new parties welcome, so tell your friends!

Details will be given to interested parties, no game statistic details or such will be posted openly.  The role however, is your character being an instructor at one of the schools at the Academy, teaching a class or classes in a various skill or skills and you will be interacting with the other players in that manner.

If you are interested, please send me a PM.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Countdown0 on March 31, 2014, 07:16:56 PM
Huh... interesting. Who's her deity?

Vhaeraun, not that he is nice but does operate on the surface where she wants to go and she was taught to respect men as equals and well is happy to work with other races to some degree like humans. But she is again in public just another superior female to the worthless males.

Countdown0

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 31, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
Vhaeraun, not that he is nice but does operate on the surface where she wants to go and she was taught to respect men as equals and well is happy to work with other races to some degree like humans. But she is again in public just another superior female to the worthless males.

Delightful :P

So the female superiority complex is a ruse? Its actually going to be interesting to see how it works.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's