Eberron Bepop (3.5 edition DnD)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, September 10, 2013, 05:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockepick

Dragonfire Inspiration is optional though, if we need that BAB and we're not near Vandros.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, dragonfire inspiration is optional.

Rhaegar14

Lockepick, you should take the Song of the Heart feat (Eberron Campaign Setting, +1 to Inspire Courage), buy a Badge of Valor (MIC, +1 to Inspire Courage 3/day) and know the Inspirational Boost spell (SpC, 2nd-level, swift action, +1 to next Inspire Courage). A 7th-level Bard can do much better than +2 if he knows what stuff to bring.

It should also be noted that a bonus to attack rolls does not equal BAB for the purpose of iterative attacks.

Also, kckolbe, what item did you get to increase your BAB? Short of items with a few, very specific spells, I can't think of anything that would do that, and Wizard 5/Warblade 1/Knight Phantom 2 is at that blowful +5 line too.
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

kckolbe

A lesser crystal of mastery gives you a medium BAB with the item it is attached to.  At level 8, that is a BAB of +6.  It costs 9000 just for the lesser crystal, though, so my weapon is currently nonmagic.

Admittedly, I'm a bit annoyed.  If you recall, I initially had a fun and decently strong character (spellwarp sniper) that I was looking forward to playing, but I switched to the artificer so no one would get kicked out of the game.  At the time, my character was already finished, bio and everything.  I then worked up a really fun and interesting artificer/duskblade, but that got kicked out since the infusions didn't work with channel (side note: Infusions don't work with anything.  I'd almost rather the class just didn't have them, or better yet, that they could qualify as divine or arcane or anything.  As far as all other classes and feats are concerned they just don't exist).  So then, after (apparently) determining that we seemed to have more ranged than melee, I worked up an acceptable mechanic that could also be our trap disabler (since our original one switched chars) as well as do forgery, which can be handy.  He wasn't as inspired, but he was different and provided some good stuff to the party.

Now I find out everyone is melee, even the cleric and psionic, and I feel compelled to redo my character again.  But given the restrictions on the character I'm just not looking forward to it, and am seriously considering just dropping. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

kckolbe: You can generate any char you feel is fun and want to play it. It is not a 'must' to fill a spot as pilot nor mechanic in the game. I make then selections of the chars once all are done with chargen stuff and then start the game.

Also your not forced to change to melee or ranged with any of your concept; lack of 'ranged DPS' is not going to be a game breaker. I as GM can adapt encounters according party setup but I definitely plan sometimes create situations where party wishes they have ranged combat support.

If you went artificer as full, then take note that your own char could be a melee guy but he can have homonculust which specializes on ranged combat (or work as in-combat healer with pouring down healing potions on people or throw alchemist fire around). You are 8th level guys and in Eberron your baddest badasses around; most NPC's you encounter you can just plainly steamroll in combat.

Muse

Quote from: kckolbe on September 14, 2013, 12:25:53 PM
Wait, Muse, your char is a melee type as well?  I wish you'd said something earlier.  I listed you as a full psionic caster and you didn't correct me.

Sorry, I crashed out pretty hard last night and have been busy most of today. 

I'm sure a min-maxer wouldn't call Arslan melee specked, but he's got medium base attack, physical buffs, an enchanted deep crystal dagger to go with his crossbow, and bracers that make his claws magical when he shifts.  Arslan does pretty well in most situations. 

In fact, his only real ranged damage is energy missiles, and that's  just short range.  (So I'm not exactly throwing psionic fireballs at the ground while we sail overhead.) 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kckolbe

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 14, 2013, 03:43:09 PM
kckolbe: You can generate any char you feel is fun and want to play it. It is not a 'must' to fill a spot as pilot nor mechanic in the game. I make then selections of the chars once all are done with chargen stuff and then start the game.

Thanks for the reminder.  I think I am going to be a little selfish then and go back to Sniper.  I'll still be able to take care of traps.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Rhaegar14

Besides kolbe, you gotta remember, "prefers melee" and "useless at range" are very different things. All Luna's character has to do is carry a sling and all of her Battle Cleric buffs will work for ranged attacks. Demvarien will fling attack spells if he has to fight at range, and Muse's Psion has his crossbow and energy missiles. With a built-in fly speed, it will be a rare situation in which Kunoichi's ghost cannot close to melee (though that might be borderline suicidal if the rest of us can't), and lockepick's Bard will buff as just as effectively for ranged attacks as melee.
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on September 14, 2013, 04:17:04 PMWith a built-in fly speed, it will be a rare situation in which Kunoichi's ghost cannot close to melee (though that might be borderline suicidal if the rest of us can't)

Actually, ironically enough, it's staying at range that is the more dangerous combat option for me. :P Thanks to my armor and the incorporeal subtype, my AC is going to be extremely difficult to get past, even when caught flat footed or taking touch attacks.  My hit points and saves, on the other hand, are decidedly lower, meaning that one unlucky miss chance roll with a fireball could leave me in serious danger of dying.

I'm probably going to be getting into the middle of the enemy formations a lot as a result, which should be interesting.

Rhaegar14

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 14, 2013, 05:03:06 PM
Actually, ironically enough, it's staying at range that is the more dangerous combat option for me. :P Thanks to my armor and the incorporeal subtype, my AC is going to be extremely difficult to get past, even when caught flat footed or taking touch attacks.  My hit points and saves, on the other hand, are decidedly lower, meaning that one unlucky miss chance roll with a fireball could leave me in serious danger of dying.

I'm probably going to be getting into the middle of the enemy formations a lot as a result, which should be interesting.

Yeah, but if you're in the middle of their formation, then you can get hit by MY fireballs. XD

EDIT: Zaer, I'm working on my character sheet right now. Would you mind if I gave my character a Travel Cloak? It's an item out of Magic of Faerun, but it really has nothing to do with the Forgotten Realms setting; it's rainproof and creates food and water.

EDIT #2: Character sheet (assuming Travel Cloak is approved) is tentatively finished except for spell selection, a few more items after I've spent what I want to spend on extra spells, and maneuvers known. I'll have to finish those later, unfortunately. Those of you interested in the work in progress can look here. Does anyone know of a cost-efficient item that provides a bonus to all Knowledge checks? I've dipped into a bunch of them for Knowledge Devotion and I'd like to consistently be able to get above a 15, and especially a 20.

Kunoichi

The Collector of Stories skill trick from Complete Scoundrel should be worth looking into, I think.

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, I double the notion of 2 SP sacrificed for Collector of Stories for +5 bonus to ID monsters (and where knowledge devotion roll is done anyways). Anyways travel cloak is okay item.

kckolbe

I took Knowledge Devotion as well.  I tend to avoid it unless playing a high int or skill type char, though.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=654002 (Just finishing up minor equipment)

"Life started off simple enough.  Working class, no question there, but comfortable enough.  Family mainly consisted of magewrights and merchants.  My father was a trap smith.  He sold them to merchants, mainly, or merc companies, sometimes just gave them away for discounts down the road.  My mother was a magewright, talented enough.  I was the youngest of three, and apparently the one to get all of my mother's magical talent and then some.  My brother and sister ended up with simple lives, my brother becoming a merchant and my sister, the oldest of the three of us, working in textiles.  Technically, they both did their time in the war, just like everyone had to, but my brother ended up a quartermaster and my sister never even saw military.  They just had her at work producing uniforms and minor magic robes, cloaks and things.  I wasn't as lucky there, or maybe I was the lucky one, but I'll get into that in a bit."

"No one was too surprised when I got selected by The Twelve to learn the arcane arts under them.  It was a nice deal.  I would learn the basic cantrips from apprentice mages, some low tier spells if I picked up fast enough (which I knew I would), spend my two years in the army out of the way as a magewright, then return to The Twelve as an apprentice to more senior members, where I would be introduced to stronger magic.  It wasn't the most exciting life, but I accepted.  Anyone in my situation would have."

"It didn't last long at all, less than a year.  Turns out the kind of pranks and challenges I was used to with my siblings didn't go over so well with my new instructors.  These apprentices spent so long on the bottom of the food chain that they think having someone under them makes them important.  One of them took offense and challenged me, but didn't explicitly state the terms. I accepted and named my own.  I knew he was more advanced than I was.  After all, he was an instructor.  He could cast back to back fireballs where I could only manage a single acid arrow.  Fortunately, he was foolish."

"I hit him with the acid arrow he taught me to cast as he was walking down a corridor.  He hadn't seen me hiding, and even as I cast it I crouched back behind the doorway.  I let the acid continue to burn while he searched, readying my next spell as he blustered in search of me.  A lesser orb caught him next, just as he was casting a spell on himself, and the spell failed.  From there the battle was mine.  He only hit me with one spell, and it was a good one, but it wasn't enough, and it didn't do nearly as much as the three spells that struck him.  Some other students, having heard the noise, had flocked to the area by the time it was over.  Thanks to them, I had witnesses that he never actually yielded, even though he was too dazed to do anything when my last spell hit him.  He died before anyone could get a potion on him."

"Fortunately, there were witnesses to both his challenge and the lack of yield, so I wasn't charged with anything.  Unfortunately, he was a member of one of the Houses, so that ended my apprenticeship to The Twelve.  I was still under contract, though, so I was sent to the Warmage College of Karrnath.  For the first year, it was horrible.  Constant drills, repetition, opponent studies...horribly taxing stuff.  Plus they made me 'unlearn' a lot of techniques.  Believe me when I say that it was almost a year and a half before I successfully cast a spell I hadn't already known.  By then, though, I loved it.  The first year may have been nothing but rote memorization and classrooms, but the second year was tactics and magic.  Any wizard would have hated his time there.  In two years of constant study, I stayed in the same tier of spellcasting as when I arrived, but I learned so much.  In that second year we were encouraged to fight and wield our new spells, and marvel at how much power even our cantrips had.  Mine, especially, proved powerful."

"Unfortunately, my apprenticeship ended after that second year, and it was time to serve my two years.  Initially I'd been slated as a magewright, but my transfer to the Warmage College had changed that.  I was assigned to a Warmage unit, and since I wasn't advanced enough to cast fireballs or lightning bolts, I was placed on the front.  Now, the front line for Warmages isn't the same as the front line for infantry, since there's a line of infantry in front of us, but there's plenty of folks that make it through, not to mention attacks from opposing mages and archers.  I only had to do two battles before I got promoted and moved back to line defense.  There my job was different.

Instead of just hurling all the spells I could at opposing forces, my job was to crouch just behind the 'fireballers' and protect them from anyone that had broken through or flanked around...we were very easy to flank."

"After...several months...maybe more, things changed for the worse.  Remember what I said about infantry being our guards?  That went away.  Apparently trained infantry were too valuable to sit and guard us, so they took our infantry away and started putting zombies as our front line.  It wasn't a complete failure.  Enemies were less interested in charging a line of zombies, but flank attempts got a lot more successful.  I had a small squad of folks
under me by then, as well as a nice variety of attack spells (still no fireballs), but I'll be damned if every one of them wasn't used up protecting our own flanks while the zombies just stood there waiting for a head on charge.  Hell, sometimes we had to charge the enemy just to keep from getting routed from behind.  Still, it was enough to almost wipe us out.  Everyone thinks those undead kept Karrnath in the war, but moving them to guard us may be what kept us from winning.  They pretty much lost all magic support by doing it."

"I didn't put up with that for long...maybe three battles.  I had a bit of rank by then, on account of all the warmages above me getting wiped out by routes.  I made it clear that undead infantry was not good enough for warmage units, that we were too valuable for that.  He denied the request.  I was reasonable, so I suggested that instead we disband as a unit and get merged into existing infantry divisions, live ones.  That he denied, as well, said we weren't worthy of marching with them.  That got a kick out of his assistant, some upjumped warrior.  When I caught them both off guard with a quick fireburst, he died first.  The commander went down with just one more spell.  I thought about how it had taken me three spells to kill an apprentice mage once.  Now I'd taken out two officers with just two spells."

"The commander had lived long enough to activate the traps around the office, but my father had taught me all about them as a child.  It didn't take long to disable them and escape."

"Of course, I was spotted leaving, no helping that.  The war wasn't finished, but I was, at least in Karrnath."

"I knew that there was no heading back to Karrnath.  The apprentice mage had too many friends, and too many people saw me leaving the office of a now dead commander.  Instead I headed to Breland, specifically Sharn.  Large cities were easy to disappear into, and a high crime rate meant nothing but opportunity.  I worked as a guard, a merchant, and at times a thief.  Eventually I latched onto Morgrave University, and received a letter of marque as well as a light sponsorship to go exploring grave sites, many of which were overrun with undead, which I was happy to destroy.  I was always happy to head down there with some untested cleric, watching him desperately try to turn a wave of zombies as I methodically picked them off one by one.  I became known Larsen Grave, and I had a great reputation.  Eventually, jobs got scarce.  I'd made the mistake of never signing with any kind of guild or party, and once again I was wanted dead by important people, but this time I hadn't even wronged anyone.  Oh well, I was tired of working solo anyways."

(How I ended up with the crew)

"Now I am a crew member on the Blaze, and I do a little of everything.  My main responsibility seems to be crafting traps for both sale and defense, or getting rid of other folks' traps when they are in our way.  Occasionally I forge documents of passage or registration, simple stuff that could have been authorized by a number of people.  I serve as a strong arm when needed, though I'm far from the only one capable of handling himself."

Intro Thread

Kunoichi

kckolbe, might I recommend a Cloak of Resistance to help boost your saves? ^^; Trust me, you really don't want to neglect those.

kckolbe

I can get that in amulet form, right?  Also, my fort save is better than it looks, as I can substitute a concentration check for a fort save once a day.

Intro Thread

Kunoichi

No, but you can get it as a vest, which will take up your Torso slot for equipment.

kckolbe

Thanks.  My character is complete.  By the way, lockepick, I got up to a +21 on Disable Device with this guy, so if you want to give up the skill feel free.

Intro Thread

Rhaegar14

Thing that occurred to me last night. I can't find an official ruling on this. Zaer, from what level can I assume my character has had a Headband of Intellect? The extra Intelligence means extra skill points.

kckolbe

Quote from: Rhaegar14 on September 15, 2013, 03:00:05 PM
Thing that occurred to me last night. I can't find an official ruling on this. Zaer, from what level can I assume my character has had a Headband of Intellect? The extra Intelligence means extra skill points.

Only Pathfinder grants extra skill points, I think. 

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

I remember in the 3.5 edition errata somewhere indicated same thing; headband if worn 24/7 gives skill points. Anyways the point where you get SP is treated same as if you had got it since beginning. As I by my own ruling retro-actively reward skill points when someone increases their intelligence modifier (example Bob the fighter had Int 12 when he started but he raised it to 13 to qualify combat expertise in 4th level and then 8th level raised it to 14 and so he gains 10 skill points; 7 from every level after first and 4 from first level).

kckolbe

Oh wow, glad they fixed that.  In that case, looks like I have some more skill points to spend.  Any requests?

Intro Thread

kckolbe

So, I know I don't have any levels in artificer, but out of curiosity, is there a Craft skill relevant to being a ship's mechanic?  I have 21 skill points left.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Woodcrafting would be one suitable skill for repairs as airship is made from wood. Also some bits of metalwork also is there.

kckolbe

I put some points in knowledge: architecture and engineering and craft: shipbuilding.  Skill-wise, he's as much a mechanic as needed.  He's missing infusions for magical repairs, though.

Intro Thread