News:

Main Menu

World of Darkness MMO

Started by HairyHeretic, September 29, 2010, 04:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6279922.html?tag=recent_news%3Btitle%3B5

Not sure if it would really be my thing, but I'm sure it would certainly appeal to some of the folks here.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Callie Del Noire

It's good that they are using the oWoD I think BUT I'm withholding opinion till I hear more.

Star Safyre

I'm certainly excited they went with oWoD rather than the new stuff.  I think White Wolf is starting to realize what a mistake they made getting rid of all their old material, though I know it was necessary to close out the plotlines.  Even their official larp (the Camarilla) is in the process of bringing back oWoD, already with Masquerade in official play and Werewolf: the Apocalypse on its way back.  Honestly, I liked the new system for its system, but the fluff was *seriously* lacking.  Fluff was why I played WW games in the first place, so I'm glad for the change in direction.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Josietta

That does indeed sound awesome!  I'd definitely give it a beta test! Though some of the points given to the devs I don't necessarily agree with.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Brandon

I'm less then Enthusiastic about it. While I will agree with everyone that I liked VTM more then VTR I find myself quite upset that it seems to be all old world because I absolutely love Forsaken and think Apocolypse was terrible. On that note, I wonder if there isnt some nostalgia blindness happening with the stories

Thats neither here nor there though. What I see here is just a trailer that may or may not have anything to do with the actual game. Until I see gameplay the WoD MMO just doesnt exist IMO. Beyond that though, looking at the comments Im a little annoyed that werewolves are seemingly being left out at launch and are being forced to be opponents of the Camarilla. Thats one of the things I really liked about the new setting there were reasons to kill each other and reasons to befriend each other but overall the groups just avoided each other. Forcing conflict between them seems stupid for what the WoD game could be.

Even beyond that, it could be so much more being able to play Wraith (my favorite WOD game by far), Changeling, or mummy. However I cant help but think its going to be "heres your 2 sides, go try to kill eachother" with nothing else added
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

HairyHeretic

My only WoD experience has been playtesting or playing Con scenarios, and none of those were particularly serious, so I'm not exactly well placed to judge this one. I think the ideas they have are good, but yes, a lot a is going to depend on how they're implemented. Then again, we can say that about most MMOs.

With the possible exception of this one

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-09/21/michael-jackson-mmo

which is just a baaaaaaaaaaaaad idea however you look at it :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Oniya

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 30, 2010, 01:30:55 PM
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-09/21/michael-jackson-mmo

which is just a baaaaaaaaaaaaad idea however you look at it :)

From the article:
QuoteYou'll be able to "engage in collaborative in-game activities with people worldwide", too -- which begs the inevitable question of how the game will protect minors. There's a million tabloid headlines just waiting to be written.

Yes.  Yes, there are.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blitzy

Oh... yes. I've been waiting since 2006 to hear news on WTF was up with this MMO. They've been chatting about it, talking about it, and pushing around ideas for that long... since the merger.

God... Now I have to wait til after 2012?! What if the world ends in 2012? Damn. -_-
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Callie Del Noire

I liked the OWoD better.. the thing that got me about VtR was in an early game a security guard/mall cop was able to one shot dead a vampire (think this was a play test game or initial release), of course the old Werewolf game had it's bugs in combat too. (Rank 0 Ahroun killing Rank 5 Radadash by accident.. he spent a point of Rage and completely killed him by accident.. it was supposed to be a token trading of blows)

Of course I tweaked my Vamp and Mage games quite a bit in play. It was a LOT of politics and fueding in both. Mage Players had to deal with my write up of John Constantine... (or as they called him 'The Prick' or 'John the Bastard') and the Vamp players were stuck firmly between the Camarilla elders and the upstarts in town. 

Josietta

Quote from: Brandon on September 30, 2010, 12:43:35 PM
I'm less then Enthusiastic about it. While I will agree with everyone that I liked VTM more then VTR I find myself quite upset that it seems to be all old world because I absolutely love Forsaken and think Apocolypse was terrible. On that note, I wonder if there isnt some nostalgia blindness happening with the stories

Thats neither here nor there though. What I see here is just a trailer that may or may not have anything to do with the actual game. Until I see gameplay the WoD MMO just doesnt exist IMO. Beyond that though, looking at the comments Im a little annoyed that werewolves are seemingly being left out at launch and are being forced to be opponents of the Camarilla. Thats one of the things I really liked about the new setting there were reasons to kill each other and reasons to befriend each other but overall the groups just avoided each other. Forcing conflict between them seems stupid for what the WoD game could be.

Even beyond that, it could be so much more being able to play Wraith (my favorite WOD game by far), Changeling, or mummy. However I cant help but think its going to be "heres your 2 sides, go try to kill eachother" with nothing else added

From what I read in the articles, they are not discounting werewolf at all. (Though in a totally biased way I LOVE Apocalypse and could without Forsaken)
The werewolf options may be added in as content later after the game takes off. It's no different than other MMO's where they have to start out with a beginning and build on it. Its a bit much to ask for multiple creature factions all at once.

Also it was noted in the "dev talk" that players were asking to play both Camarilla and Sabbat vampires as well as mortals who would encounter the embrace. Therefore its not really set in stone that its JUST the Camarilla they are talking about here.

Though if -you- think you could build a better MMO with EVERY WoD creature known in the system without it costing you two arms and a leg, while thinking of liabilities -- IE if it doesn't actually make the launch, then by all means... lets see what you have to offer. Until then, I'd not downplay what could possibly be a fantastic game with all those elements in the end - through patches or add ons.  Its hard to put together an MMO with even half of what V:tM has to offer. I commend them for even trying this.

It was the same way with the SR MMO that was supposed to be launched. Its exciting to see happening, and sad to see it end if it doesn't launch. But the upside is people are thinking about it, and not just discarding it as a possibility.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Nice to know its still in the works but not too terribly informative.  BUT I figure this is the level WOW was three or so years before release

Moraline

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 06, 2013, 10:47:39 PM
* Chris Brady waves his hands like a necromancer:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/6/4306386/world-of-darkness-launch-is-still-years-away-coverage-being-kept-to-a

Some of you might be interested in this.
I've been super excited for this for many years now. I'm depressed that it's still years away though.

It's probably for the best because it's a good idea to wait until sparkly vampires are a distant memory.

With that said... They are taking too long. Someone else is going to release a knock-off version in the next couple years and beat them to the punch. That'll ruin their player base.