Deviations: The Outbreak (Superhero Semi-freeform) (Recruiting OPEN - 1/24/13)

Started by Adonis, November 02, 2013, 02:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

Alright, I'm just going to jump in and figure my way out. So... Let's see what kind of character comes out of me tonight...

Riel
Full Legal Name: Gabriel Jean Cote, but goes by Riel (pronounced like the word 'Rile')
Ethnicity: Canadian... of the pale sort...
Sex: Male
Relationship Status: Single, experimental, open...
Profession: College Student

Description
Hair: Dyed black, unknown original color
Eyes: Violet, for some reason, since the Deviation his eye color mutated (If this isn't acceptable, I'll change it)
Skin: Very pale
Weight: 57.6kg or 127lb.
Height: 1.62m or 5'4"

Information

Personality: Riel has always been a bit shy, awkward, 'nerdy'. Having been home-schooled for most of his life, he was more interested in books than people. After leaving home (and country), he sought to change his behaviors, but found himself mostly stuck in his dorm reading. Since the Deviation, though, Riel's behaviors have begun to change.

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, Writing, Computers, Close-Up Magic

Background: Gabriel grew up in a quiet Christian home in Canada. His father, Joseph, stayed home to take care of him, and after a few years in primary school, he decided to home school Gabriel (mostly due to a desire to continue teaching). Despite all the stereotypes, Joseph never 'coddled' his son, never forced his beliefs on him or kept him away from other kids. Gabriel did the latter just fine on his own, and he appreciated the freedoms given to him by his father.

As he grew, he became fascinated with fantasy and science fiction, as well as mythology. He imagined, like many teens, being a grand hero or a roguish rebel, something more than just a boy in a house in a nice neighborhood. However, the most he could muster was the pursuit of illusions, the 'magic' of the real world. He wasn't a skilled magician, but he became quite dexterous as he performed card tricks and learned to hide little knick-knacks on his person.

Upon turning 18, Gabriel asked his father to let him go to America, to study at a small university in a new place, a new adventure. His father agreed, so long as he could arrange for the student visa and enough money to get by. Gabriel managed both, with his parents supplementing him enough income to live decently (as in, eating more than cup noodles) from month-to-month. Once he settled in, Gabriel decided to go by 'Riel', since he didn't like the nickname 'Gabe', and told himself he would take this chance to become more outgoing.

Still, as time passed, that never really happened. He stayed in his dorm, mostly reading, and got good grades. He occasionally tried to go out to meet people or even attend a party, but always ended up just scurrying back to the dorm.

Gabriel recently had to catch up on his immunizations (a few slipped by back when he first emigrated) and decided to get a flu shot while he was getting poked anyway. A while later he began to notice something strange. <Again, this next part can be changed> He realized his glasses were making his vision fuzzy, and he could see fine when he took them off. Then, one night while he was in bed reading, as his reading light went out, a little glowing orb appeared. For the next week, Gabriel sat in his room, conjuring those little balls of light. It wasn't much, but he felt different, he felt like he had something new inside him.

That was the night Riel committed to changing. Still shy, still awkward, he forced himself to talk to people, to dress more casually, to open up. For once, it was working...

Symptoms: Light Manipulation - Level 1 - Conjure up to 4 balls of light, up to 10 feet away
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Adonis

He looks just fine to me :)

Go ahead and move him over to the approved character thread, and introduce yourself in the OOC thread(s) :)
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

ManyMindsManyVoices

My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Angel Fire

Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Vampricprincessty

Character:

Name: Xu, Yo Xi
Nickname: Yo Yo
Ethnicity: Taiwanese American
Sex: Female
Relationship Status: Single
Previous (Or current) Profession: Former cop, Social worker

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Creamy
Weight: 125 lbs.
Height: 5' 7"
Other:
Information:

Personality: Yo Xi has always been a strong and independent individual but also calm and collected when needed. She can be blunt sometimes and is learning to control it. She often has trouble showing her true feelings as she keeps a tight leash on them. Under the strong outside, she can be rather sweet and loving.

Background: [Three good paragraphs] Yo Xi was born in the America's not long after her family had moved here from Taiwan. Her family made sure she kept up with the traditions of their native home and still allowed her to live an american life. So her childhood was mostly uneventful and normal. She worked hard to get the grades that her family wanted her to get. The girl was sharp of mind and made her go far in high school but the girl wanted more than tradition. She wanted to be like the cops she watched on TV. That would change her normal life.

Her parents did not value their daughter wanting to risk her life to be a police officer but once she entered college, she left tradition behind. She partied hard throughout college but made sure not to lose sight of her goal. Before she knew it, she was in the police academy. It was months of hard physical training before she made it into the force. However, good things never last, do they? For years, she had avoid that damned shot during her yearly doctor visits but when the flu outbreak was getting worse, she forced into getting one. A couple days after her doctor visit, she was really really sick. She cursed herself for letting herself get suckered into getting that shot. For a entire week, she felt like she was dying! Never had she felt so useless and ill in her life but thank god when that week was over.

Life pretty much went on as normal for her. She was more than happy with her career path and thought nothing could change it. She has been cut, stabbed and shot a few times now but even then, she continued to protect and serve. It wasn't until a very disturbing domestic call made her question every thing she knew. The children they had to collect that night were so badly injured and the mother was dead. The bastard that did it was laughing as his own children were sent away to hospitals. If only they had known sooner.... Maybe it was more out there that she could do because those children and others like them needed it. So while she was still working, she decided to look into other work.

Social work became her next choice after taking the required classes online. She saw the good she could do for the families that needed it and she could inform her old colleagues before something like that tragic event happened again.

Symptoms: Water Manipulation: SL - 1 - The ability to gather moisture from the air, and other sources is now present. Up to a gallon may be manipulated.

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, Swimming and Working out

OOC Ons and Offs: Check out my on and offs on my siggy.

RampantDesires

Yay character proposal :)

However I have just a few things before giving you the thumbs up.  The biggest of which is that symptoms have just begun manifesting in people.

QuoteQ4: How much does the general public know about what is going on?
A: The general public knows almost nothing at this point (roughly 2-3 weeks from the first immunization).

Most people become fairly violently ill after their shot, some for as long as a week of feeling like death warmed over, and then a few days later start noticing their first symptom (everything is variable, even in game some characters are manifesting new and more powerful symptoms faster than others) so there is some wiggle room as to when she started noticing her ability but not a whole lot.

People, even in government and law enforcement don't yet know what's going on.  There have only been a few public displays of symptoms, but there's been no official announcement (though this will certainly become a factor very soon since the longer things have to mutate the more powerful and wide spread this is going to become).  Manifestations of symptoms are actually fairly rare despite everyone in the group having some, and its entirely possible that many don't even realize there is something different about them (I have a character with a SL4 who is utterly oblivious, at least about her own ability).

So  yeah, probably enough rambling about that.  On to the options!

1) Edit backstory to have some other traumatic event cause her to switch jobs, move, and restart school.  Being shot or some other physical thing, losing a close friend, witnessing something done maybe even by another cop that causes her to question her path in life and look for placed to do good elsewhere.  Whatever floats your boat really those are just random off the top of my head suggestions please don't feel like you need to pick one!

2) Pull back the time line a bit.  Her symptom is just manifesting, she's still a cop but she sees or hears something (I can totally give you a shadowy 'abduction' from the police headquarters or some such) that makes her realize that something is going on and perhaps she's not safe.  She's put in her resignation and is in the process of moving and reorganizing her life?  November is kind of mid semester so I'm not sure how soon you could work the back to school thing in, but I know there was talk of possibly having a few time skips eventually just to cover more ground time wise.

3) Anything else you can come up with :) She's your character so however you'd like to change her please feel free as long as it fits in that general time line.

Also if you could put Water Manipulation before the SL description on your symptom that would be awesome.  Thank you so much I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Vampricprincessty

Ah thank you for the help RampantDesires! Can you check it for me now?

Kokaine

Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Vampricprincessty

Emmykins

Batman4560

RampantDesires

Welcome aboard Vampricprincessty :) Please feel free to move her to the active characters thread and hop on into the ooc places to introduce yourself!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

kckolbe

I'm guessing a lot of people are looking forward to meeting her.  ~grins~
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

kckolbe

Character:
Name: Thomas (Tom) Drake
Ethnicity: White
Relationship Status: Single
Previous (Or current) Profession: Bartender at Juliana's restaurant, retired Air Force

Appearance:
Other Images

Hair: Brown
Skin: Light
Weight: 160
Height: 5'9"
Other: Don't act like you aren't seduced.

Information:

Personality: It would be unfair to call Tom lazy, but it wouldn't be entirely unfounded.  He spent (almost) twenty years as an officer in the Air Force, which was long enough to decide that he was tired of feeling rushed all the time and not having any time to himself.  He's a laid back man and wants a laid back life.  He's always been informal with a preference for employing low-key humor when unsure how else to react, making him affable enough to work with people for a living.

Background: Tom's life has been pretty boring, and that's almost exactly how he has preferred it.  When he graduated high school with fairly mediocre grades and only a few notes on extra-curricular activities (okay, just theater), there was not much in the way of prospects.  Fortunately, his parent, who cared far more about his education than he did, found a fairly minor, sparsely-applied for scholarship, which he applied for and won.  Encouraged, he applied for a larger, university-sponsored scholarship, and blew away the essay.  Between the two, tuition was covered, and his parents picked up the cost for books and a little extra for expenses.  Five years later, he had a degree in communications, one of the ten most common degrees in the work force, though that wasn't why he picked it.  Effective communications was the reason he'd been able to afford college, after all, which meant he clearly had a talent for it.  Having a talent for it meant it would be easy.  Easy was exactly what he wanted from college. 

The downside of picking one of the ten most common degrees in the nation was that the job market was not exactly excited about getting to interview him.  Starting salaries were a lot lower than he was willing to work for without a guaranteed pay raise.  He ended up joining the Air Force since the pay wasn't much lower, and there were frequent pay raises.  By his 23rd birthday, he was a second lieutenant in the intelligence field. 

The job was not ideal, but it was close enough.  Constant briefings got somewhat old, even if he did generally do well at them, and he occasionally had to spend time in some real shit holes.  He stayed in, however, as it was a pretty easy life, all things considered, and he did manage to get promoted on par with folks actually trying.  He almost made it a full twenty years, but early retirement opportunities came around, and he just wasn't able to resist the urge to work less.  After just over 18 years, he was a civilian again.

Having already hosted a few small gatherings, he knew quite a few drink recipes, and decided to take a short bartending class to get a bit more polish, then applied and was accepted as a bartender at Caleo, a rather nice restaurant.

Symptoms: Avian Manipulation: SL - 1 - The Devi is allowed to call to and communicate with local aviary wildlife of the common variety (pigeons, robins, etc)

Hobbies and Interests: He's still learning some of the extra tricks bartenders occasionally employ to keep people entertained or spark innocuous conversation.  He's recently learned about his new talent, and is working on a way to make use of it without giving away his secret.  He enjoys flirting, particularly with women too young for him.

OOC Ons and Offs: Same as player, linked in sig
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Moon Hound Hati

Character:

Name: Liam Avery
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Relationship Status: Widower
Previous (Or current) Profession: Retired mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter / Soon to be karate school owner and instructor

Appearance:

Hair: Dark
Skin: Fair
Weight: 214 lbs.
Height: 6'1"
Other: Lots of tattoos of various sorts

Information:

Personality: Liam is a straightforward and honest man. He appreciates hard work and those who work hard to achieve their goals and dreams. Beneath that thick, tattooed skin of his beats the heart of a kind and caring man who won't hesitate those in need. Despite what tragedies might have befallen him in the past, he keeps pushing foreward, working towards tomorrow, rather than lamenting the past.

Background: Born and raised in Glenside, Liam Avery became interested in Martial Arts when he was young; and at the age of 4, he trained at the Red Dragon Karate School. He won several tournaments up until he graduated from high school. Aiming to become a professional MMA fighter, rather than attending college or university, he studied several martial arts styles in the years that followed. Liam collected the most practical applications, modified them with his own philosophies and created his own blend of American Karate.

Experiencing a good amount of victories and successes, Liam thought himself to heading for a bright future. At age twenty-four, he married Mira, whom he had met in the MMA scene. Not a year later they were blessed with the birth of their first and only child, a little girl they named Iris. He was so proud that he even added her portrait to his growing collection of tattoos two years later.

All good things have to come to an end though. Just a few days after Liam's thirtieth birthday his wife was killed by gunshot on her way home from a quick trip to local shop on the corner, near their house. According to the police, who had apprehended the perpetrator a few days later with the help of witness descriptions, it had been some kid down on his luck and addicted to crack, driven to desperation and looking to make some quick cash to feed his addiction.

Heartbroken and horrified, Liam retired from mixed martial arts fighting to take care of his young daughter. Now, three years later, he plans to use some of the money he had earned and saved up during his career to open up a karate school for youngsters. He had thought long and hard about the passing of his wife and decided to try and help preventing such things from happening again the best way he could: martial arts. By opening a school, he could help keep kids off the streets and teach them some important life lessons and philosophies. He hoped that would help them keep away from things like drugs and crime.

Shortly after hiring a contractor to start building his school, Liam fell ill for a period of time. After he recovered, he noted, when sparring in a local gym, that his reaction time had somehow improved. He had kept up his training even after retiring from MMA, but never had he experienced his reflexes being so keen. It was not only inside the ring though, when his body was feeling the adrenaline rush. With everything he did, from attempting to catch a cup his daughter knocked off the diner table by accident to dodging some jackass package delivery guy on a bike; he was so much faster to respond then before. It puzzled him deeply.

Symptoms:

Reflexes

SL - 1 - Reflex time is decreased for base stimulus.

Hobbies and Interests:

Martial arts has been his passion since a young age. If he's not spending time with his beloved daughter, Iris, he's sparring down at the gym. Once his karate school opens he'll be spending a lot time teaching kids all about the sport and its philosophies.

OOC Ons and Offs: IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

RampantDesires

I look forward to seeing Tom when you finish him kc :)

I'm going to go ahead and give Liam the thumbs up go ahead and move him over!

kckolbe

Intro Thread

RampantDesires

Please edit Avian Manipulation into your symptom description when you move him over :)