Looking for a DM for an Antiquity game [UN], [NC-E looks likely] [D&D 3.5]

Started by Blaze, January 21, 2009, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

I'm a fan of games set during the Antiquity. It's got it all - gods, monsters, orgies, orgies with gods and monsters, magic, heroes, tragic heroes, maidens and a whole lot of other fun stuff 8)! Especially ancient Greece... :P

Thing is, I want to play it, not to GM it! We're looking for a GM, again, since the American Patriot is banned for an unknown period! Like-minded players are also welcome, of course.
So, if you are a player, sign for the game in this topic. If you are a GM, write here and suggest a plot or setting to hook potential players. Most people are at least halfway trough their characters for D&D3.5, and there are a few ready.

Of course, I'd suggest that you look at my Ons and Offs first, to see if we are likely to play well together -but you know that already, don't you ;)?

Here is an example for a plot. Of course, any GM is welcome to edit it or invent another. As long as the setting is in the Antiquity and it's a system game, I'd be glad to play it.

Hera is angry at Delphi (now, this girl's got anger management, if I've ever seen one - i swear by Herakles!). She finds out that Zeus is cheating on her (what, again?) - with a priestess living there. In her wrath, she sends a plague to the whole aria - a beast unlike any that has ever been seen in Greece.
A prophet from the local temple sees that only the twins, born form the breath of the goddess Hestia will be able to rid the land of the trrible beast.
The characters are the group of would-be heroes, tasked to find the twins and persuade them to help. Of course, their way will be a long and perilous one, with a great many incidents (courtesy of Hera(tm), now with free shipping offers!). And then the twins are not that eager to risk their lives, having their own problems (they are not classical heroes either)...

In order to have s little bit of structure and coordination, I've made a list of everyone that has shown interest in the game, and the ideas that they have for a personal character.

Sonja - the princess role if no one has taken it, probably roll it as a Cleric
Lavender - I'd be the high priestess in training thing
Scriptophile - female warrior-type, maybe a temple servant to Athena.
Pyro – hasn't decided
Devilstrike - a 'basher' type
schnookums - hasn't decided
Muse - Female Warrior.   *Raises hand, sort of"  Huntress of Artmeis here.
RubySlippers - I will go for a human, hailing from Lesvos after being at Sapphos Academy, a bard likely wouldn't exist so go for a rogue that focuses on performing and fighting. As a rogue with the dropping of the backstab skills for fighter bonus ranks. She will be Spartan or perhaps Minoan, both had strong roles for women the latter might be more fitting.
Akiko - female of royal blood, half-gods, but my thought/idea was to go with an Aasimar, or half celestial servant
bluejay - hasn't decided
Blaze - daughter of a nymph

And here is something that may be useful to everyone.
Aphrodite
Goddess of love, lust, beauty, wife of Hephaestus. Ares is her lover. Eros is her son. Known as the most beautiful of the Greek goddesses. Her symbols are the scepter, myrtle, and dove.
Apollo
God of music, prophecies, poetry, and archery. Also said to be the god of light and truth. Is associated with the sun. Also referred to as the most beautiful of the gods. He is Artemis's twin brother, and son of Zeus. His symbols are the bow, lyre, and laurel.
Ares
God of war, murder and bloodshed. Brother to Athena, and is the son of Zeus. Has an affair with Aphrodite. His symbols are vultures, dogs, boars, and a spear.
Artemis
Goddess of the hunt and wild things, and the moon. Protector of the dewy young. She became associated with the moon. Apollo is her twin brother.Artemis is a virgin goddess. Her symbols are the bow, dogs, and deer.
Athena
Goddess of wisdom, warfare, handicrafts and reason. Sister of Ares, and is the daughter of Zeus. Sprung from Zeus's head in full body armor. She is the wisest of the gods. Her symbols are the aegis, owl, and olive tree.
Demeter
Goddess of fertility, grain and harvest. Demeter is a daughter of Cronus and Rhea and sister of Zeus. Her symbols are the scepter, torch, and corn.
Dionysus
God of wine, parties/festivals, madness and merriment. He represents not only the intoxicating power of wine, but also its social and beneficial influences. His symbols are the grape vine, ivy, and thyrsus.
Hades
God of the underworld. Brother of Poseidon, Zeus and Hera, and consort to Persephone. His symbols are the bident, the Helm of Darkness, and the three-headed dog, Cerberus.
Hephaestus
God of fire and the forge (god of fire and smiths) with very weak legs. He was thrown off Mount Olympus as a baby by his mother and in some stories his father. He makes armor for the gods and other heroes like Achilles. Son of Hera and Zeus is his father in some accounts. Married to Aphrodite, but she does not love him because he is deformed and, as a result, is cheating on him with Ares. He had a daughter named Pandora. His symbols are an axe, a hammer and a flame.
Hera
Goddess of marriage, women, and childbirth. Zeus' wife and sister. Appears with peacock feathers often. Her symbols are the scepter, diadem, and peacock.
Hermes
God of flight, thieves, commerce, and travelers. Messenger of the gods. He showed the way for the dead souls to Hades's realm. He shows up in more myths than any other god or goddess. Likes to trick people and is very inventive. Hermes invented the lyre using a turtle shell and sinew. His symbols are the caduceus and winged boots.
Hestia
Goddess of the hearth and home, the focal point of every household. Daughter of Rhea and Cronus. Gave up her seat as one of the Twelve Olympians to tend to the sacred flame on Mount Olympus for Dionysus. Her symbol is the hearth.
Poseidon
God of the sea. He created horses from sea foam. God of earthquakes as well. Also called 'Earth Shaker' and 'Storm Bringer'. His symbols are horses, sea foam, dolphins, and a trident.
Zeus
The king of the gods, the ruler of Mount Olympus and the god of the sky and thunder. His symbols are the thunderbolt, eagle, bull, and oak.

A list of mythological Greek creatures

Remember when it rained.
I felt the ground and looked up high
And called your name.
Ohhhhhh Remember when it rained.
In the darkness I remain.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Hi there,

How far back into antiquity would you like to go? There is so many wonderful eras to play with. i've been thinking of dusting off my fantasy RP stuff and trying my hand at playing a Griffon Rider instead of a Mage for a change.
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

Blaze

Well if I must say a specific time that would be IV-III BC. But in general because the setting will be with fantasy elements time is not a big issue.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Kewl. :)

if you'd like there are several places we could RP in... let me see if i can find all the notes for a fantasy game and see what we can do! :)
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Blaze

I know the perfect please... for me! Delphi. But we can always use the classic Crete.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Delphi would be perfect! Ancient Greece was an amazing time and place. the mythologies where something else as well. Of course Norse Mythology has been one of my favorites as well. Norse Elves are a passion of mine. the tall, thin, blue skinned elves are one of my favorite mythological races to RP when i get a chance! might have to play one that is travelling to Greece to carry a message from the Norse Gods to the Greek Gods!

Blaze

Greet, we have a setting. Now we just need a couple more players - I want to play with a group.
And unless you are willing to GM the game, we need a GM, too ;)!
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Blaze

A system would be nice. It maces the game more structured and more fair in my еyes. What systems have you played?
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Sonja

Count me in as interested, though I have only a passing familiarity with GURPS.

Blaze

I hope you join the game. I don't know if we will be playing by GURPS, but it's not such a hard system, and I know from experience that it can be learned quickly.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Thufir Hawat

I might be interested in joining this game, although I don't want to GM it ;).
Ah well, let's see if you get a GM first. I'll decide later ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

The American Patriot

I don't know how to use the GURPS system unfortunately... I normally use the d20 system to model a great deal of many game settings. if you don't know how to make a character using the system i can walk that through easily. Just add me to your internet messengers and send me a request saying that you're 'Blaze's Hellicenic RP'

Lavender

I'm interested, but I also don't know GURPs.  The only system I know that might be compatible is 3.5.  But if I had help and patient co-writers, I could possibly try a new system.
I'm feeling a little bit better!  I might not post with the frequency I used to for awhile, but at least I'm not as bad as I was.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Turn me on/Turn me off and find a list of the games I'm lucky enough to write in as well.

Literary Longings

"Goin' on a year now, and I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" --Kaylee

"Tell me I'm pretty, Wash." "Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion." "Cause I'm pretty?" "Cause you're pretty." --Kaylee & Wash

Scriptophile

I would be very interested in something like this. <3 I've never played in an RPG with a dice system before though, and it looks like that is where this is headed, so if the GM is willing to put up with a total newbie... I'm in.

The American Patriot

of course i can handle newbies... all of us have had to start somewhere!

Blaze

Scriptophile, I know what it's like to go from freeform to a system. It's not as hard as some people say, and my friends have had the same experience!
Besides, there's always a first time, right (just like in... whatever, let's keep it PG-13)?

Quote from: Lavender on January 31, 2009, 03:09:58 PM
I'm interested, but I also don't know GURPs.  The only system I know that might be compatible is 3.5.  But if I had help and patient co-writers, I could possibly try a new system.
3.5 works for me. No need for you to learn a new system.
So, now that we all agree that it's going to be D&D 3.5 (we do agree on that, right?), who is up to the challenge of DMing it?
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

i have no problem DMing, but if there's someone else who would like to run, i'd gladly step aside.

Lavender

Seeing as how Nathaniel Hale is one of my all-time favorite patriots, I think that The American Patriot should do it if he's willing.  :p
I'm feeling a little bit better!  I might not post with the frequency I used to for awhile, but at least I'm not as bad as I was.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Turn me on/Turn me off and find a list of the games I'm lucky enough to write in as well.

Literary Longings

"Goin' on a year now, and I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" --Kaylee

"Tell me I'm pretty, Wash." "Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion." "Cause I'm pretty?" "Cause you're pretty." --Kaylee & Wash

Scriptophile

Blaze

Quote from: The American Patriot on January 31, 2009, 03:21:11 PM
i have no problem DMing, but if there's someone else who would like to run, i'd gladly step aside.
Of course I don't want you to step aside, AP! So, now comes the big question: what do you think of the plot I offered in the first post?

That questions goes to all of you, actually.

Quote from: Lavender on January 31, 2009, 03:31:14 PM
Seeing as how Nathaniel Hale is one of my all-time favorite patriots, I think that The American Patriot should do it if he's willing.  :p
Ok, and I'd like to play with you! Yay!

Quote from: Scriptophile on January 31, 2009, 03:32:12 PM
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to this then~
Great! Now, everybody's happy! Or so I hope...
I believe the AP would gladly help you with the system. As will I!
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Pyro

Hmm, well, I was poked to reply here, so i figure I will.

I'm no stranger to 3.5, so I'm okay with that. Just gotta know what everyone is planning...

Blaze

Quote from: Pyro on January 31, 2009, 04:10:42 PM
Just gotta know what everyone is planning...
Good question. I offered a plot, but there are still no comments on it, including from the DM.
Either way, you are welcome to join!

Also, AP - what level do we start and what classes are available?
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

let's start out at 4th level... with all of the standard classes (and if you can show me a class you'd like to try, we can see about it)...

Lavender

As we're kinda going with a homebrew(ish) world, are any/all races up for grabs or which ones are not might be a better question.  Stat generation?  Wealth?

Literary Longings