What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I really only tried to find if they had anything newer than 1983.

That place has actually gotten worse than when its namesake died. I wonder how he would feel knowing that his site is now stumping for Trump.

Lustful Bride

So apparently some Turks are blaming the US for the failed coup.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/turks-can-agree-on-one-thing-us-was-behind-failed-coup/ar-BBv9UOt?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I love how it seems like every conspiracy theory always has the US as the big bad behind everything.

Beguile's Mistress

It all feeds into the gossip mongering that everyone seems to enjoy.  Like a starving dog with a bone, they just can't let go of the nasty tidbits and move back to look at the big picture.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 03, 2016, 08:14:52 AM
I love how it seems like every conspiracy theory always has the US as the big bad behind everything.
Well, if you want to paint yourself as the victim of a conspiracy it hardly works if you claim to be the victim of someone who is a weakling, does it? If, say, ... Iceland were the world's strongest power we'd see the same garbage thrown around with Iceland blamed instead. Makes no sense to blame conspiracies on someone who wouldn't have the abilities to pull it off, and the USA does have the means to pull a whole lot off if they want to. Makes them a logical target for scapegoating.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Beguile's Mistress

Scapegoating and conspiracy theories are just like all the other flailing people do because they and their ilk love to hear themselves talk.  After a certain point the rest of us shake our heads and tune them out.

Mithlomwen

What the actual f***?! 

Florida man arrested after picking up and throwing one of Bush Garden's flamingos to the ground.

Sadly the poor bird had to be euthanized due to her injuries. 

I just don't understand people sometimes.  :'(
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

Quote from: Mithlomwen on August 03, 2016, 01:55:56 PM
What the actual f***?! 

Florida man arrested after picking up and throwing one of Bush Garden's flamingos to the ground.

I initially read that link as 'a garden flamingo belonging to Bush', and thought 'Well that's a really odd political statement.'

But no - just some douchebag animal abuser.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

Too funny, I too pictured something like this:
(Don't laugh, these were popular at one time)

Oniya

Yeah, that was what I was picturing too.  Turns out the lowlife also has a record for 'assault of an individual 65 years or older.'

Not overly surprised.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 03, 2016, 11:46:26 AM
Scapegoating and conspiracy theories are just like all the other flailing people do because they and their ilk love to hear themselves talk.  After a certain point the rest of us shake our heads and tune them out.
I think it's a bit more complicated than people just wanting to hear themselves talk.  Often that may be the second step, where like-minded people mutually reinforce their opinion. It gives people a feeling of power, of knowledge, of superiority to believe they alone are in posession of the real truth.

But before that is a first step, that of initially starting to believe in a conspiracy theory or bogus "science". We live in a complicated world (probably always have, but awareness of it has increased with advances in communication and information flows). That world we live in often has no easy answers. Things are complicated. And sometimes bad things happen to good people for no real reason at all. Making sense of all this takes time and effort - and sometimes it is not really possible at all. That leads to insecurity; how can we feel safe if we don't know why bad things happen? But we want to feel secure and therefore we look for answers and explanations. Conspiracy theories provide those answers and explanations. Conspiracy theories add sense to a world that may often seem to lack it.

This is not to say that I agree with any conspiracy theories - in fact some might be outright dangerous because they don't just explain events of the past but also inform future decisions that are then made on the wrong basis. But I do have some sympathy for people who latch on to conspiracy theories. It's holding on to them too strongly, almost religiously, I have a bit of a problem with.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on August 04, 2016, 01:32:32 AM
I think it's a bit more complicated than people just wanting to hear themselves talk.  Often that may be the second step, where like-minded people mutually reinforce their opinion. It gives people a feeling of power, of knowledge, of superiority to believe they alone are in posession of the real truth.

But before that is a first step, that of initially starting to believe in a conspiracy theory or bogus "science". We live in a complicated world (probably always have, but awareness of it has increased with advances in communication and information flows). That world we live in often has no easy answers. Things are complicated. And sometimes bad things happen to good people for no real reason at all. Making sense of all this takes time and effort - and sometimes it is not really possible at all. That leads to insecurity; how can we feel safe if we don't know why bad things happen? But we want to feel secure and therefore we look for answers and explanations. Conspiracy theories provide those answers and explanations. Conspiracy theories add sense to a world that may often seem to lack it.

This is not to say that I agree with any conspiracy theories - in fact some might be outright dangerous because they don't just explain events of the past but also inform future decisions that are then made on the wrong basis. But I do have some sympathy for people who latch on to conspiracy theories. It's holding on to them too strongly, almost religiously, I have a bit of a problem with.
Instantly reminded of this.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

gaggedLouise

Yeah, when a big and painful disaster happens people want matching villains, some explanation with a secret scheme that brought those things about or made the damage much more serious. And the media tend to want those matching causes too. saying AIDS is a complicated disease working around some aspects of the protective systems of our bodies, and that it was transferred from apes to humans in a complicated chain of events decades before 1980 just isn't going to cut it with some people - the virus having been deliberately engineered in some lab and then spread out or leaked by the military sounds waaaay catchier (or the other ideas implying that it was a punishment from above on gay people, and so on).  :-X

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Renegade Vile

What the actual f***?! 

Absolutely disgusting. Unless it's a rabid animal that you have to defend yourself against, I have no idea why you would ever senselessly harm an animel. Especially a damn flamingo. I'd have put that bail a lot higher and made sure he was put away for a long while. Someone so volatile and sadistic is going to turn his anger on human beings before too long; fatally-so.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

AmberStarfire

I was just reading this one. A stabbing in London (it doesn't look to be a terrorist attack, despite the url):

http://www.news.com.au/world/london-stabbing-knife-terror-attack-in-russell-square/news-story/f8dc85086494d913cf33faeb6489d9b0

Beguile's Mistress

They seem to think the attacker is unstable.  It's possible that all the recent events could have influenced his behavior.  The increased security presence had him tasered and apprehended quickly.

Oniya

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 04, 2016, 09:37:16 AM
Absolutely disgusting. Unless it's a rabid animal that you have to defend yourself against, I have no idea why you would ever senselessly harm an animel. Especially a damn flamingo. I'd have put that bail a lot higher and made sure he was put away for a long while. Someone so volatile and sadistic is going to turn his anger on human beings before too long; fatally-so.

It wasn't fatal, but he already had done so.  Part of his rap sheet includes 'aggravated assault on a person over 65 years old'.  His last stint was for shooting two chained dogs belonging to a neighbor.

Beguile's Mistress

Having been through it myself I don't believe in physical violence but in his case it would be nice to see him drop kicked into next week after multiple bruises were created on his person.

Ariel

What the actual f***?! 

What a piece of shit. >:( poor birdie..
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 04, 2016, 11:42:13 AM
Having been through it myself I don't believe in physical violence but in his case it would be nice to see him drop kicked into next week after multiple bruises were created on his person.

Violence is rarely the solution to anything, but I'll be honest here and say a good beating is sometimes what some people need to at least realize they did something reprehensible that makes other people despise them. If they still don't care, fine, at least they went through a modicum of the pain they put someone else through. After all, violence is sometimes the only thing that some people understand *shrugs*.

RedRose

"Burkini" private event banned in France. I think it's a reaction to all the problems we've been having, because it's a private event (burkinis are banned in public pools) so it shouldn't be a problem. The comments are really full of hatred.
In the mean time, many public events are cancelled because of "security concerns", and attacks on both Catholics and Muslims are going on...
https://www.rt.com/news/354654-france-burqini-party-ban/
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Renegade Vile

Quote from: RedRose on August 05, 2016, 06:27:09 AM
"Burkini" private event banned in France. I think it's a reaction to all the problems we've been having, because it's a private event (burkinis are banned in public pools) so it shouldn't be a problem. The comments are really full of hatred.
In the mean time, many public events are cancelled because of "security concerns", and attacks on both Catholics and Muslims are going on...
https://www.rt.com/news/354654-france-burqini-party-ban/

Ouch. Comment section on fire there. Not surprising, comment sections on most public platforms tend to be cesspools, no matter what side of any argument you're on.

Warlock

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 03, 2016, 08:14:52 AMI love how it seems like every conspiracy theory always has the US as the big bad behind everything.

The United States do have a history of covertly overthrowing or supporting regime changes. So its not the worst assumption one can make. My personal pet theory is that the lizards in control of the illuminati is actually part of Barack Obama's plot to create a worldwide caliphate, the proof is everywhere! xD

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 05, 2016, 06:59:20 AM
Ouch. Comment section on fire there. Not surprising, comment sections on most public platforms tend to be cesspools, no matter what side of any argument you're on.

Comment sections are always like that. They show the worst of Humanity all of the time because the good people are wisely too afraid to dive into those pits of madness.

@ Warlock. I like to think that al this illuminati stuff is just lies perpetrated by the aliens to get us to work against the governments and make them weaker when they invade. And people are happily being fooled by the aliens. *Get Neuralizer and wipes all your memories.*

Lustful Bride

The sins of the father follow the son.

Son of UBl's Bomb Maker ended up with IS for a time.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/he%e2%80%99s-the-son-of-osama-bin-laden%e2%80%99s-bombmaker-then-isis-wanted-him-as-one-of-its-own/ar-BBvhUCF?ocid=spartanntp

It is a parents duty to leave behind a better world for their children, not a worse one.

Lustful Bride

Isis calls American Muslim soldiers "Apostates" I call them Heroes and Patriots like i would any other soldier. :-)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/islamic-state-calls-slain-muslim-american-soldier-an-apostate/ar-BBv4rtK

But it just sounds more like their jealous of real heroes.