grdell's Weight Loss Blog - Week 11

Started by grdell, May 30, 2011, 08:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdell

Okay, here's the situation.

I'm somewhat overweight. Not actually obese, but I could definitely lose some pounds. I have been this way pretty much my whole life.

Recently, my doctor told me my blood pressure was somewhat high and he was concerned. I told him I didn't want to be on high blood pressure medication, and that I could take care of it myself by losing the excess weight and getting in shape. He wanted me to lose 80 pounds.

When I need to, I can do just about anything. I went to the gym 6 days a week, seriously cut back on how much I was eating, watched my sodium intake.

I lost 30 pounds. A good start. People were telling me they could see the difference and they were impressed.

Then I had the week from hell. I was hospitalized three times - in one week! I came down with a vicious flu.

Then I got laid off.

Needless to say, all of my efforts were at first halted, and then reversed.

And then, as is the case with these things, before I had the chance to really get back on track, the doctor wanted to see me again. And of course, having seen it so many times before, he does not believe that I had actually done anything and that I'm just a typical lazy slob American. So he puts me on the high blood pressure medicine. "Just temporarily," he says. "Until you can get it down yourself." But I can see in his face that he doesn't believe that I'm really going to do anything.

I need to prove him wrong. I need to lose the weight, get in shape, and get my BP down myself. Damn his little pills.

I can do this.

But a support network never hurt anyone, and has helped plenty of people. So I plan on logging everything here. I will post my progress as a personal responsibility. It will help me to know that if I have to tell the community about all my successes and failures, that the successes will be more and the failures less.

So today, day 1. I got up early and headed to the gym.

They were closed.

I totally forgot that it was a holiday.

But, undeterred, I went for a 5 mile walk along the East Coast Greenway. (Thanks, Tschel23, for kicking my butt out the door!)

So I can't tell you today what my current weight is or exactly how many calories I burned, but I still feel that I'm off to a good start.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Tschel23

'Oh, just to be in the warm glow of all this testosterone.' Farscape: Aeryn Sun Episode: Family Ties

Ryven

I am interested to see your progress.  I just began a diet I had done about a year ago again a few days ago, and I will be working out today as well.  I lost like 25 pounds when I did this last year.  My weight is fine, but I'm hoping to change the composition from fat to muscle.  It's been very hard though.

Izu

I will be following your progress as well *nods* I'm going to try lose the last bits of weight (or get the proportions I want no matter the weight. Muscles > fat) this coming summer. Started my diet today. Gonna work out tomorrow (today I'm doing some catching up with my studies). Feel free to PM/IM me if you wanna talk about those things ^^

Good luck!

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Aiden

Good luck to ya man.

What else are you doing to help your progress, I would suggest calorie counting, I found it helps me keep motivated not to snack or indulge in something when you see on paper how quickly those damn numbers add up.

Oniya

Always willing to be a cheerleader in these things :-)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HockeyGod

I'm here to cheer you on too, grdell. I seem to have gotten a little soft so I got out the check book and purchased a personal trainer. He's a bit of a Nazi, but I guess that's helpful!

We'll all do it together!!!

Anjasa

I'll add my support here :)

I was on antidepressents for a while back around 2004-2005. I gained a lot of weight.

I was a 5'3" girl and I was 205lbs in 2006.

In 2008 I decided I needed to do something about it. I cut out pop, chocolate bars, fast food, EVERYTHING for about 6 months. I treated myself a couple of times over that period, but I was super strict. I started exercising and by 2009 I had dropped to 120-125, which is where I currently fluctuate.

You can do it :) Just remember - you're allowed to make mistakes, but just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you should use it as an excuse to let everything go to hell. For instance having one piece of cake doesn't mean you screwed up so bad you might as well have another two slices!

That's what helped me get through slip ups, anyways (and we all make them!)

grdell

I allow myself "cheat days". For me, it's every Saturday after 4:00 p.m. All bets are off on Saturday nights. I found that that really helps me stay on course the other six and a half days.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

grdell

Went to the gym today. I'm only starting back out, so today was a cardio concentration. I burned 235 calories - ten minutes warmup on a stationary bike, 15 minutes of carido on an elliptical machine, ten minutes cooldown back on the bike. I could have gone longer on the elliptical, but I didn't want to overdo it since it's been a while. Not bad for a start, I think.

So that I can track my progress most objectively, I got on the scale and measured my stomach (measured right at the navel). Here are the numbers:

As of 31 May, 2011:
Weight: 230 pounds.
Stomach measurement: 48 inches.

I was horrified to find I had a 48 inch stomach. One more piece of motivation, I think.

I plan on concentrating primarily on cardio for the first two weeks to get my strength there back, but tomorrow I signed up for a demonstration session of some new all-around resistance equipment they have. I know the importance of alternating between cardio and full-body resistance, especially in eliminating visceral fat (which is what I have in higher concentration than subdermal fat).

My diet was successful yesterday - no lapses. I know it's early yet, but I trust my self-control. I am eating regularly at three-hour intervals, focusing on small, low-calorie, low-sodium, high-protein meals. I am also working more fresh vegetables into my diet. I eliminated the vast majority of processed foods from my regular diet a long time ago, and I almost never eat fast food anymore. I drink only water and fruit juices.

My one weakness is chocolate. But I control that, too. Dark chocolate is my favorite, anyway, and the darker it is, the better it is for you. My 3:00 snack is a one ounce mixture of raw almonds and 60% dark chocolate, for a total of 145 calories, 0 sodium and 5 protein. I find that it helps me tremendously knowing that I still have at least that one small indulgence every day - and that that one small indulgence is also pretty darn good for me.

I have also found, in just one day, that keeping this blog and posting it here for all to see is another tremendously effective motivator. I had one hell of a bad day yesterday, and I came damn close to giving up for at least one more day and binging - but knowing that I had started this and posted it kept me on track.

I'd like to thank everybody that has stated that they'll help me; and everybody else, too, who's even just looked and not said anything. Knowing that all of you are watching me is really going to make the difference this time.

I can do it.

Tschel23

You CAN do it, and I'll be there to push you along if you need it. Go you!
'Oh, just to be in the warm glow of all this testosterone.' Farscape: Aeryn Sun Episode: Family Ties

Izu

Don't forget to drink lots of water! At least 8 glasses per day. Water helps your metabolism and skin *nods*

grdell

Quote from: Izu on May 31, 2011, 10:48:52 AM
Don't forget to drink lots of water! At least 8 glasses per day. Water helps your metabolism and skin *nods*

That's never been a problem. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I drink too much water, but I do drink a lot more than the 8 glasses a day figure. Especially after my second - yes, SECOND - batch of kidney stones. The doctor told me that since my body is obviously predisposed to making them, I have to fight that tendency as best I can, which means never getting even close to dehydrated. So yeah, lots of water for me. I take a 20 oz. water bottle to the gym with me, and it's invariably empty by the time I leave. I like to think that I drink more water before 8:00 AM than most people do all day!

Izu

*grins and thumbs up* I'm the same. I used to get tons of kidney problems when I was a teen, but around the age of 19-20 when I started trying to work on my weight I learned to drink water and now I prefer water to sodas and alcohol even. :3

grdell

Had a spinach salad for lunch yesterday with hard-boiled egg whites for protein. I did so well, in fact, that I discovered that my diet could tolerate a little grated cheese on my dinner pasta! It's the little things that matter...  :-)

I tried a new brand of Greek yogurt this morning. The trainer at the gym recommended that I eat Greek yogurt for the higher protein concentration, and mentioned the popular brand Chobani. But I'd tried Chobani previously and didn't care for it. Serendipitously enough, Cook's Illustrated magazine had run an article comparing different brands of Greek yogurt just last month, so I decided to try their highest recommended brand. I loved it! It's an actual Greek import called Olympus. I'm lucky enough that my local markets carried it. They don't carry a wide range of flavors, but I'm trying them all.

My demo this morning of the Gravity machines was cut short, so I have another free demo session on Friday. I made up the difference by doing more cardio. From what I felt this morning, though, they seem to be VERY effective. In the short time that I had on one, we did two different quad exercises, and they produced very different feelings in my legs, showing me that they were in fact working different parts of the muscle.  And the best part is that every exercise, no matter the target muscle group, also works core. I'm very much looking forward to a full session and then regular use.

Tschel23

Sounds like a great day so far! Go grdell!

Oniya

One thing about yogurt is that you can always buy the plain stuff and run it through the blender with your choice of flavorings.  Add some cucumber and garlic, and you've got a simple tzatziki, which is wonderful a a veggie dip or sandwich binder
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ryven

You don't even have to use a blender if you don't want to.  A small spoon of the jam of your choice changes plain yogurt into a fruit yogurt.  I've done it with blackberry and it turned out pretty awesome.

grdell

Right... forgot about that. I'll keep it in mind next time I go to the store. I'll pick up some plain and mix in some raspberry - my favorite!

Oniya

Only reason I mentioned the blender is because jams etc. have added sugar, and with summer here, the fresh stuff that's better diet-wise is going to be in season.

Oh - another thing you can do with the Greek yogurt is make cheese out of it.  It substitutes easily for higher-calorie cream cheese.  Mix in favorite spices for whatever taste you're looking for.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/yogurt-cheese-recipe/index.html

Captain Maltese

Losing a lot of weight is a lot of hard work. Don't forget that as you lose fat through excercising you will also build muscle, which is healthy to no end but also adds to your weight - and a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. Also remember that even though you will do the daily grind, the weight loss will not fall along a straight line. The body fights the weight loss and tries hard to stabilize it... given a chance, say if you stop the weightloss plan for a while, it immediately starts rebuilding what was lost. But many many people succeed at losing weight every year. The determined ones.

Here's a little bit of fun, though. Although the weightloss isn't steady, you will find that your width will diminish steadily. Put aside one of your biggest pants and put it on once in a while. Having to hold up with both hands something that once was tight as a second skin, is very encouraging. Good luck grdell.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

grdell

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 01, 2011, 03:54:28 PM
Losing a lot of weight is a lot of hard work. Don't forget that as you lose fat through excercising you will also build muscle, which is healthy to no end but also adds to your weight - and a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. Also remember that even though you will do the daily grind, the weight loss will not fall along a straight line. The body fights the weight loss and tries hard to stabilize it... given a chance, say if you stop the weightloss plan for a while, it immediately starts rebuilding what was lost. But many many people succeed at losing weight every year. The determined ones.

Here's a little bit of fun, though. Although the weightloss isn't steady, you will find that your width will diminish steadily. Put aside one of your biggest pants and put it on once in a while. Having to hold up with both hands something that once was tight as a second skin, is very encouraging. Good luck grdell.

I know. I've never been a big fan - because of my body type - of tracking fitness by weight. But everyone else is obsessed with it, so that's why I included weight along with stomach measurement. I know it won't come off easily or steadily or even consistently, but it WILL come off. I AM determined. And this blog is helping, too.

Thanks, Captain. I won't let you down, sir! *salutes*  ;)

Oniya

It might help to track some other fitness indices as well - like what weights you're using, or the time you can comfortably spend on the elliptical.  Seeing one thing improving can make up for another thing plateau-ing.

Captain Maltese

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

grdell

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 01, 2011, 04:11:59 PM
What is your BMI?

Don't talk to me about the gaddamn BMI. I hate the fucking BMI. Too many doctors in this country regard the BMI as some kind of scripture. I have done research on it, and it is actually pretty controversial. I have to find a new doctor anyway, because mine BELIEVES in the fucking BMI. He wants me at 150 pounds, and if I were 150 pounds, I would be dangersouly unhealthy thin. I would look terrible; malnourished. I have a very wide frame, heavy with muscle.

My BMI is 37.1. Dangrously obese. Yeah, right. Not even close. My trainer agrees, even if my idiot doctor doesn't. Yes, I know I'm overweight. Yes, I know my stomach measurement is dangerously large and I have to bring it down. But I can guarntee you that even when I get down to a more reasonable stomach measurement, I still won't be anywhere near the BMI's "ideal" range.

Sorry to rant and curse, but this is a real sore point for me. I'm below average height while simultaneously being above average in terms of shoulder width. This is genetic - it's just my bone structure. I can't help that - no matter what the AMA believes. They can talk all they want about "maintaining a healthy weight", but I want them to come to a goddamn consensus as to what that REALLY means (which they have NOT done) before they shove their stupid fucking pointless BMI down my throat. The BMI does not really apply to people with my build. THE MAN WHO POPULARIZED THE BMI ADMITTED AS MUCH.

The worst part is that I actually got into an argument with a doctor on this topic. I disgreed with him. You know what he said? He didn't form any coherent arguments of his own, and disregarded all of the points that I brought up. And you know why? Because he was a doctor and I wasn't. That was it. In his mind, he was automatically right and I was automatically wrong just because he paid for med school. Fucking closed-minded asshole.

Sorry again, but I really hate the fucking BMI.

Captain Maltese

Well, I don't say the BMI is a perfect tool. It tends to give an indication but as you say, any less than standard bodyframe is going to fit less than perfectly to the tables. Anyone with more than the average amount of muscle mass can throw that table in the bin. For the record: My own BMI, at the worst, was 38. Today it is 28.

Autumn52

I just wanted to say that I have a lot of respect for what you are doing grdell. Not only are you helping yourself with this thread but you are helping a lot of other people who deal with the same issues. I want to wish you good luck not that I think you need it. Your determination is a real inspiration. *Hugs*

I agree with what you said about BMI as well. There are to many body shapes and gentics that play into our body mass. I think each person has a body weight and size that they feel comfortable with, they feel good/healthy. I have a friend who according to these professionals/doctors is overweight but she is the healthiest person I have ever seen. She enjoys life, she is beautiful outside and inside and she is the most energetic happy person I know. She is comfortable with her weight and when the doctor told her she needed to lose 20 pounds she told him no way. He ask her why and she said that she was happy, comfortable and healthy and she did not see any need to conform to what society or doctors said was better when her body told her what made her happy. I was so proud of her. I am happy that you told that stupid doctor what you thought about the BMI shit. If more people would stand up like that maybe the health industry would take it more seriously.

Thanks again for sharing your journey with us.

*Huge Giant Hugs*
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

grdell

Sorry again for going off like that, I know you didn't mean anything by it. It's just a really sore point for me. 150 pounds is totally unrealistic.

Captain Maltese

Quote from: grdell on June 01, 2011, 04:58:11 PM
Sorry again for going off like that, I know you didn't mean anything by it. It's just a really sore point for me. 150 pounds is totally unrealistic.

*hugs* It is okay. Also, don't bother about setting a lower end goal. Consider every ounce lost that stays lost, a victory.

Izu

The BMI is totally overrated. You should find yourself a specialist who have one of those special measuring equipments - you step on it, hold onto some handless and in a minute it gives you your weight, the % of fat in your body, % of muscles, water, pulse, etc. This way you can just go for fixing the %of muscles - the higher the better, and the % of fat - the less the better. I know a guy who looks like ten times thinner than me, but he is all muscles and actually weighs tons a lot more, so his BMI is into the overweight-almost obese region. *rolls eyes* And mine? My BMI is in the perfect golden middle for my height, but I still look fluffy and somewhat fattish - last summer I went to a resort for healthy life - climbing mountains, working out, eating good food, and they had that machine there and our fitness instructor/mountain leader showed me that my muscles were much less than they should be and I still have fat I need to burn in order to get a nicely toned body instead of the fluffness I have now.

Tschel23

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 01, 2011, 03:54:28 PM

I agree, this is a great way to check your progress. Because you see yourself daily you don't necessarily see the ways your body has changed. This is a great way to see firsthand how well you are doing.

Tschel23

I happen to know grdell personally and live nearby. He's my bff, I love him dearly. I can't even picture him at 150 lbs. He would truly look emaciated. he is broad of shoulder and has that naturally stocky, dense muscle. I am a massage therapist, I see all sorts of body types. I know a few people with his body type and even with a healthy lifestyle they have a stocky appearance. This is perfectly natural.

Xandi, your friend did the right thing. Doctors don't always know what is best for us. They see us once, maybe twice a year or so. They don't get the opportunity to get to know us personally. We each need to find what works for us. The BMI is bogus, it fits a very small spectrum of "standard". Human beings vary so significantly by individual there is no way this would work for every one.

You go, grdell, and I'll be with you every step of the way to root you on!

grdell

Burned 280 calories at the gym today. I'll only post these numbers when I reliably know them, which means only on cardio days, where the machine tells me how much I did. On resistance days, I have no idea.

Yesterday, again, the diet went off without a hitch, although I do admit that it's starting to get harder. But my resolve is unshaken. For lunch I had a light salad and a boneless, skinless chicken breast braised with onion, garlic and pepper. Tasty and satisfying! And in spite of that, I still had room enough in the diet to have cheese on my pasta again.

I know I'm only on day four at this point, so it's very, VERY early on, but so far things are going well and I remain optimistic. You have no idea how much this blog is helping me stay on track! Knowing that I have to post my progress daily keeps me on the right track.

Quote from: Xandi on June 01, 2011, 04:57:41 PM
I just wanted to say that I have a lot of respect for what you are doing grdell. Not only are you helping yourself with this thread but you are helping a lot of other people who deal with the same issues. I want to wish you good luck not that I think you need it. Your determination is a real inspiration. *Hugs*

Thank you. Everybody's support means so much to me. I just know that this is what's going to make the difference this time.

By "this time" I mean that I've been trying to take weight off and keep it off pretty much my whole life. It's occasionally been mildly successful but never long-term. A constant uphill battle. But now I need to for health reasons, and that's just one more reason to make sure that this time is the time that it really happens for good.

And hearing things like this just makes me so excited and proud. Thank you. All of you. Really.

Quote from: Tschel23 on June 02, 2011, 05:07:04 AM
I happen to know grdell personally and live nearby. He's my bff, I love him dearly.

I love you too!  ;D  And I know you'll be there to kick my butt when I need it, and that means so much to me. I can never thank you enough.

Captain Maltese

I went on the weight every morning for a year and a half. Every Monday morning I wrote it up in an excel sheet that gave me a nice graph to look at. It is motivating to see the progress even if it is slow and sometimes climbs a little back up.

Don't forget to start those meals with at least one big glass of water. It fills the stomach and makes you feel full quicker, so the hunger goes away faster.

Chicken isn't the only lean meat out there. Pork, minus the fat rinds, is also an alternative. Proteine is generally important because your excercising makes the muscles grow, and the body needs proteine for that. So don't go all green.

grdell

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 02, 2011, 08:06:43 AM
Chicken isn't the only lean meat out there. Pork, minus the fat rinds, is also an alternative. Proteine is generally important because your excercising makes the muscles grow, and the body needs proteine for that. So don't go all green.

Oh, I know. I'm getting protein from various sources. I could never go full vegetarian anyway - I like meat too much. But protein is one of the things that I'm keeping a scrupulous eye on.

Captain Maltese

There's a lot of good food out there with a low glucemic index, too. Like beans and peas. Makes the salad that much chewier for one thing, and can be eaten in place of the starch-rich food. A plate of pork, carrots and beans with tomato sauce is pretty yummy and keeps your stomach busy all day.

Ryven

Quote from: Oniya on June 01, 2011, 12:46:22 PM
Only reason I mentioned the blender is because jams etc. have added sugar, and with summer here, the fresh stuff that's better diet-wise is going to be in season.

Not all jams have added sugar nowadays.  If you look for the jams that are catered toward diabetic populations, they usually have lower sugar or no added suger somewhere on the label.  I just thought jam would be easier since using a blender adds an extra step, dirties an extra piece of equipment, and you end up with seeds if you're using raspberries.

crystaltears

I'm in a similar boat, grdell, so far as trying to lose weight for a long time... What's come down to finally making me put forth a concentrated effort is actually just the fact that I miss all the activities I did when I was younger. Grew up as quite a tomboy, you see, and now most of the things I once did for fun would leave me winded.

My BMI is somewhere between 38.0 and 40.7 (I don't actually own a scale so I can't really know for sure).

Something I find helpful this time around is the reasoning being simply that I miss what I had and the fact that I'm looking forward to doing so many fun things. I figure.. I can't go on a serious diet unless I plan to eat that way the rest of my life. I can't go on an extreme exercise routine unless I plan to maintain it the rest of my life... Because just dipping into either will mean losing weight until I stop, and then it will start coming back.. So this time around I'm working up endurance and aiming to do things I like to do.

I also think this blog is awesome, because I can read along with your efforts and successes and empathize with the steps you're taking to lead a healthier life.

I wish you all the success in the world, and will be following your efforts. :-)
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

grdell

Had my full-on demo of the Gravity machine today. Holy cow, what a workout! The trainer really pushed me to my limits and beyond, and I am seriously looking forward to doing this workout regularly starting next week. Two days a week, with two days in between. I'm thinking I'd prefer Tuesday/Friday, and I'll just do cardio Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. I have always taken Sundays off - that's my absolute rest day. But this way, my muscles will have time to recover between workouts. He even showed me the stretches they do at the end - right there on the machine. Awesome.

Yesterday I made a big batch of sauce with ground turkey, crushed tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, olive oil and Italian seasonings. Very low sodium and a decent amount of protein per serving (200 calories, 62 sodium, 13 protein). I had some over 3 ounces of whole grain macaroni and it was a very fulfilling and flavorful meal. I froze half the sauce - after portioning it out into containers - because I won't be able to eat it all while it's still good.

Not everything was perfect yesterday, though, since Thursday is my day when I do tutoring and attend knitting circle. So I was out of the house for most of the afternoon and evening, which meant eating out. But I did okay in having only one slice of cheese pizza at a restaurant that I know makes everything from scratch with quality ingredients. I don't know the nutrition facts, obviously, but I don't think it was any kind of deal-breaker, so I'm not worrying about it at all.

So here I am in day 5 and everything is so far, so good!

Tschel23

I don't imagine that one slice of pizza put you too far off track. besides, if it is from where I think it is from kudos to you for being able to restrain yourself to just one slice!

grdell

Good news and bad news.

First, the good news. I was good with my diet yesterday. Better, in fact, than I would have thought possible. You see, I was to attend a party where I had promised I would make and bring my cheesecake. I did make the cheesecake and I did bring it, and - here's the important part - I DIDN'T HAVE ANY. It worked out well because everyone else ate it all up and left none for me, but I could have taken a slice - and a big one! - for myself and no one would have objected. So it seems my self control is doing just fine.

Or so I thought.

On to the bad news. Well, I usually go to bed between 10:00 and 11:00. I didn't even get home from the party until 12:15. So I went to bed late and still wired which meant I didn't actually get to sleep until much later. When the alarm clock went off this morning, I just couldn't drag myself out of bed, so I didn't go to the gym today. But I still think overall that things are okay. One of the things that I was told many times last time I was losing weight was that I have to be able to forgive myself for being human. I can't stick to an absolute schedule and do everything perfectly correctly ALL the time. So, I'm going to slip every so once in a while - AND THAT'S ALL RIGHT. It's not a derailment, it's just a hiccup, and things can go on as normal afterward. I can't beat myself up over these things. All I can do is minimize them.

It's all about mindset. And I am determined that I am not going to count this as a failure. Not even a temporary setback. Just a tiny stumble that I can continue on from and not think about again.

And I will.

Sylk

I went on a 4 week hiatus due to the fact that I couldn't cram cooking for 180 people on two different back to back weekends, working out, school, work and 3 kids all into a day.  Now that I am back on track, it's like starting over. But this too shall pass. I love to exercise. My trainer said to go 3-5 times a week and I was going 5-6.  I hope to get back to that soon.  With my work schedule, it's sometimes difficult.  With the summer months and everyone scrambling to take shifts for people so they can go on vacation, it's even worse. however, I will prevail.

Last week I noticed that my scrub pants of a certain style were sliding down a lot.  Today I have noticed that I'm going to have to buy new underwear.... those are slipping too.  While my scale doesn't reflect any weight loss, my clothing reflects several inches missing.  I'll take that.

My reward after it's all said and done?  A Hot Motorcycle and some leathers to ride it with!

Sylk
Never underestimate the power of a single look.
    My Role Plays:  Keeping the Duchess from Harm  Rebel of Her Heart     On Flightless Wings   Hunter or Hunted My Blog  Sylken Threads

Oniya

Have I linked you to the 15-minute office workout yet?  It's designed as a light workout for people who 'don't have time' or 'don't want to get sweaty' and might be good for days when you can't make it to the gym but still want to get a little exercise in.

Izu

Oni gave it to me back when I was first starting here on E. It's quite good, easy and it actually works. People can't even imagine how little things help a lot too.

grdell

You may have noticed there was no "Day 7" post. That's because Sundays don't count. I still maintain my diet (I actually wasn't all that hungry yesterday), but I don't go to the gym, I don't worry about anything, I just chill and relax.

So, on to week 2. First, the stats:

Current weight: 224 pounds (6 pounds lost)
Current stomach measurement: 47 inches (1 inch lost around my midsection)

Calories burned at the gym today: 370. I'm back up to thirty minutes on the elliptical machine. Now I just have to slowly increase the intensity.

I officially signed up for the Gravity machine training today - it's expensive, but I'm paying for five weeks. If it's as good as the trainer says it is (and I believe it is - it kicked my ass when I tried it Friday), I should know by then. If it works I'll pay for five more weeks, and if not, I'll stop and do something else.

A word about my pace:
I know some of you are going to say "Six pounds in one week?! That's not healthy! You can't keep that up! You'll gain it all back!" I know some of you are going to point out that the last time I lost a lot of weight, it was just as quickly as this and that it all came back. I would like to point out that I blame my doctor for that. If I can avoid any more interference from him, I'll be fine. And I intend to. Jerk. That's my doctor I'm calling a jerk, not you.  :-)

As for the naysayers that say that once you "go off the diet" you gain it all back when you lose it too fast... Well, that's just it. I don't consider this a diet. I don't think of this as something I've only got to do for six months and then I return to doing what the hell ever I want. I consider this a lifestyle change. This diet isn't temporary. It isn't something that I'm ever going to come off of. It's a shift in the fundamental way I think about eating. Right now I am in a loss phase, so I am restricting my calorie intake more than normal. But the high blood pressure thing isn't going to clear up and blow away. I have to be vigilant about my sodium intake for the rest of my life and I know that. It's no different from a diabetic having to monitor their sugar for the rest of their life. Once I attain my goal, will I start eating more again? Of course. I'll have to. If I don't, I'll keep losing and get underweight, and I don't want that any more than I want to remain overweight. But I'm never going to return to my old habits. I have to remain forever vigilant, and I know that. What makes me think I have the self-control to do that? Because I know that all of the strictest restrictions I'm under RIGHT NOW are only temporary. I'll be able to have occasional treats and nights out and so forth later. That keeps me going NOW. What will keep me going later is the knowledge of what I had to go through to get there. I'll not let all my hard work be undone by carelessness.

I believe I can do this. I hope you do, too. Because in all honesty, you - all of you here on E - are helping me along more than you can realize. I hold myself accountable to all of you and that gives me the control I need. I thank you all.

crystaltears

Quote from: grdell on June 06, 2011, 10:50:38 AM
I believe I can do this. I hope you do, too. Because in all honesty, you - all of you here on E - are helping me along more than you can realize. I hold myself accountable to all of you and that gives me the control I need. I thank you all.

I believe you can do it, grdell. I'm with you all the way. :-)
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

Izu

Muahaha. I beat you. I burnt 470 calories on cardio and god knows how many on weights. :3

But congrats for the loss! And I won't tell you how bad it is, because... BS. *rolls eyes* The more weight you have to get rid of the faster it will come off. Been there done that. I need to lose like 15ish more pounds to be perfectly happy with my weight, but they come off ten times slower than the first 50+ pounds I lost.

And I'm sure you know it, but I want to remind you - don't be surprised if at some point at time you just freeze and stop losing weight. Your body needs to get used to the new weight, so plateaus are to be expected. Some last for a week, some for a month, but don't give up. No retreat, no surrender!

And btw - this blog totally keeps me motivated to keep on going with my diet and fitness. *hugs* 

grdell

Quote from: Izu on June 06, 2011, 01:26:27 PM
Muahaha. I beat you. I burnt 470 calories on cardio and god knows how many on weights. :3

Yes, but I haven't been to the gym in a while. I don't want to kill myself. Cardio strength is a gradual process, too. Don't you worry, though, I'll get myself up to that eventually, too!

Captain Maltese

I agree with Izu. Your blog is an inspiration. Hmmm, perhaps I should consider those weights of mine again... and all the rest of the training gear I have at home but never touch.

Izu

I haven't gone to the gym in a month and before that I went only three times after a 9month break >.> Though I did ride bike 10ish times since the weather got better in April.

Though if I have to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing at the gym x'D It's a small one and the 'fitness instructor' is no fitness instructor, just the owner who makes sure you've paid. -sighs-  If I had a car I could go to the capital for real classes like that gravity machine thing you mentioned, but I'm in our other apartment while studying for the state exam, so no time... and I can't go to our apartment in the capital because I can't study there - mother and brother are there >.>

-sighs- but some workout is still a workout, right? x'D

*pokes Cap*

Oniya

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 06, 2011, 03:44:30 PM
I agree with Izu. Your blog is an inspiration. Hmmm, perhaps I should consider those weights of mine again... and all the rest of the training gear I have at home but never touch.

I imagine whatever it is you do with that chainsaw constitutes at least some workout...

Captain Maltese

*pokes Izu back, smiling*

*nods to Oniya* it does result in sore muscles and a river of sweat, certainly. Carrying 50 pound logs to where the tractor can pick them up also burns some calories I am sure. If I had been doing that kind of stuff every day I am sure it would have resulted in some hard beef.

Remiel

Hey, grdell.  I just wanted to chime in and say that I've been following this blog, as well--and give total props to you for doing it.  Like you, I'm trying to lose weight as well.  When I quit my job, three weeks ago, I was blimping out at 265; my goal is to get down to about 225.  I lost the first ten pounds pretty quickly (in about a week), but already seem to have plateau'd.   :-\  Granted, I haven't been sticking to my diet, but I have been making a conscious effort to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my regular meals, and I have all but eliminated sodas and sweetened drinks in favor of water, so in that regard I am proud of myself.

One thing I'd like to get your opinion on--I was always taught that eating anything late at night was a big no-no (because that's when your body is in "low gear", metabolically-speaking) but when I spoke with a trainer, he said that was nonsense.  He said that when you feel hungry, that is when you should eat (small, sensible meals, obviously).

Anyway,  keep up the good work!

Izu

Your trainer is both right and wrong in my opinion. It really depends on your organism, because if you are a night owl it's normal to eat during the night, not during the day when you are asleep or not so active. If your body is used to this pattern then it would have turned around its processes. Think of it as moving to the other side of the world - 12 hour difference, you'll need time to get used to it, but eventually what has once been day time for you it's night time now and vice versa. Still, I personally believe that if you get some sleep mid-night to mid-morning you shouldn't eat past a given hour. Just train your body to keep a stable metabolism cycles.

There is this theory that the metabolism has its cycles, which normally are:
• 4.00 am to 12.00 pm - cycle of cleaning organism
• 12.00 pm to  8.00pm - feeding cycle 
• 8.00pm to 4.00am - cycle of digesting
I even remember back at school when we studied about the enzymes in our body that they are active till 8pm and that's why it's not good to eat past this hour, because then your metabolism is slowing down and starting to work on digesting what has already been put in it during the day, and eating more will just jam the traffic.

But of course if you go to sleep at 5am, wake up at 4pm (for example) you can't expect your body to have a metabolism cycles 'by the book'.

My two cents - set yourself a given hour for end of eating - it should be 4 to 6 hours before going to bed. If you get hungry after this hour, try drinking two glasses of water. 90% of the time the feeling of hunger is actually thirst, 5% is just mental hunger (there's a saying here that the hunger is in the eyes - if you see something you start thinking you are hungry and wanting it), 5% it means you didn't have a proper dinner, and if it's the last either eat something low caloric - an apple?, or lie your hunger with water and teas, and on the next day eat a little extra on dinner. I personally found that if I eat 200grams of chicken and a salad on dinner at 6pm I get hungry by midnight, but just mere 50g. extra on the meat and I am set until at least 3-4am by when if I'm still awake, I can feel how my organism has already digested the food and is preparing itself to be fed on breakfast.

Btw - there's also this theory that it's not good to eat fruits after a solid meal (like meat and salad), because then the fruit gets to decay in your stomach while waiting for the rest of the food to pass and thus loses it's pluses - vitamins and so on. I've heard, and I personally follow this rule, that you should wait 2-3 hours after a meal to have a fruit. So in a way according to some resources the best meal plan is:
8am - solid breakfast
10am - if hungry, a single fruit (never mix fruits - there was some good reason, but I've forgotten it, I think it was once again something to do with how the body digests them)
12pm-1pm  lunch
3-4pm - single fruit if hungry
6-8pm dinner, should be a bit lighter than the lunch

Of course once again - it all really depends on the person's organism. If it works for some, it doesn't mean it will work for you, or if it doesn't work for you it doesn't mean it won't work for others.

Mh... I think that's all... I hope I make some sort of sense ^^; I've read so many books and articles and I've done so many diets that I've kinda combined information from all those sources to make my own theory... But it works for me. Heh. Hope I've been of some help...

grdell

Okay... okay... Wow. That Gravity machine totally kicked my ass today, and we didn't even do a full set because he didn't want to overdo it with me. I got in lower body, chest, upper back, shoulders and arms, though. And core is constantly worked on this thing, so that's pretty much everything except for lower back, which he said we'd target next time. We'll work on the transitions next and that means moving smoothly from one exercise into the next one. I'm really looking forward to compressing everything we did (and adding in more!) in thirty minutes. Should be fun!

Again, diet went off without a hitch yesterday in spite of the fact that doughnuts were supplied at rehearsal. I didn't eat one! It was easy, though, since they're not really the kind that I like anyway.

@Remiel: You wanted my opinion, you get it. My opinion, in a nutshell, is this:

It's really hard to separate any fact from popular myth when everyone that we trust to have the facts contradicts each other at every turn. So what I usually do is research, listen to what everyone has to say, and then do the thing that seems to make the most sense to me. Currently, for my weight loss regimen, I have a set schedule for eating that ends at 6:00 (that's 18:00 for Europeans and military folk). No matter how hungry I get, I DO NOT eat ANYTHING after 6:00. But, when I'm on maintenance, if I get hungry after 6:00, I eat something low-calorie, low-carb. Certain vegetables fit that niche perfectly. Like a salad (without a high-cal dressing) or some green beans. Carrots are higher in calories than you might think. My reasoning for this? I hear tell, and it makes sense to me, that carbs that are not immediately burned as fuel are stored as fat. So unless you plan on working out immediately after eating just before bed, you should stay away from carbs.

That's just my two cents.

grdell

I didn't do as much cardio today as usual, since the machines that I regularly use were already in use, so I tried something else. It was a lot harder than it looked and I couldn't do it for very long as it made my heart rate shoot way up into dangerous levels, so I got off it pretty quick. But a short burst of intense activity is better than nothing at all, which almost happened. When my alarm clock went off this morning, I got up but almost didn't go to the gym at all.

You see, last night, out of nowhere a wave of intense depression hit me. Once more, I felt emotionally drained and unwilling to do anything. And, once more, the fact that I'm keeping this blog is what got me up and moving. I couldn't post that I hadn't gone. All of this means too much to me - to my health and overall well-being. And I would feel like I was letting everyone down. Thank you again, everybody, for reading. YOU keep me going.

So, overall, how are things going? In spite of last night (Fuck you, depression! Fuck you and everybody that looks like you!), I still feel very good that things are going well. I was a bit high on calories yesterday, but still under my limit - and considering that I had that Gravity machine kick my ass, I don't think that's altogether a bad thing.

It's supposed to be really hot today - and set records tomorrow! - and while I would normally be very upset about that, I have found that high temperatures are an appetite suppressant for me. So maybe there's a silver lining to this cloud, after all!  :-)

Izu

grdell

Daily status update: Good cardio work at the gym today. Diet was fine yesterday.  :-)

Because if I don't say something, I don't feel like I'm keeping it up right.

A word about my goals:

A few people have asked me the question "So what is your goal weight?" I don't have a goal weight, but I do have a goal. For me, it's not about the pounds, since that's not really an accurate measure of fitness. Muscle weighs a good deal more than fat, after all. No, my goal is simple: a flat stomach. That's it, really. I figure that with all the cardio work and the full-body resistance training for toning, that once I achieve that goal I'll look pretty damn good.

Medically, of course, my ultimate goal is better health, mostly focusing on lower blood pressure. And that will happen. But there's no harm in getting all sexified while doing it...  ;)

Sylk

Wish I had your dedication.  You are to be commended.  *hugs*

Sylk
Never underestimate the power of a single look.
    My Role Plays:  Keeping the Duchess from Harm  Rebel of Her Heart     On Flightless Wings   Hunter or Hunted My Blog  Sylken Threads

grdell

I must confess that I went a little crazy yesterday. Thursdays are when I go out to knitting circle and to do tutoring. Also, it was supposed to reach a record high temperature in my area and I don't have air conditioning in my apartment. So I decided to head down to the yarn shop early and sit in the AC rather than sweat in my own place, which means I didn't eat lunch at home. Which means I went to the really awesome Italian restaurant next to the yarn store for lunch. And, yes, I had too much. What I did, though, was have nothing but a light salad for dinner. While that doesn't exactly make up completely for the indulgence at lunch, I like to think that it lessens the blow a little by shifting my high-density meal to the middle of the day rather than later in it. I've been doing pretty good otherwise, so I'm not going to think of this as a setback of any kind. We all go a little crazy from time to time.

I had my second session on the Gravity machine today, the trainer introduced a few new exercises, and I got my ass royally kicked again. Worked the upper body a little harder today, but he says that I have perfect form, so I'm not worried at all about getting hurt from it. It was the stretching afterward, though, that showed where my real problem lay. As we age, our body stiffens and loses some flexibility, and because of my build I've always had tight hamstrings. Turns out I'm also losing flexibility all through my hip area as well. So next week we're going to do some exercises to help with that, and he showed me some great stretches to do at home to help out loosening that area up. The trainer is ten years older than me (and of course in fantastic shape) and he said he went through the same thing with the hips tightening up so he's been there himself. Seeing how flexible he is now definitely gives me a goal to be able to match him.

I do admit that only having one more day of the gym this week (I take Sundays off) is an uplifting thought. I look forward to a break of even one day. But I also look forward to going back on Monday and seeing my progress. It's really very exciting seeing that everything that I'm putting myself through is having a real and immediate effect.

Thank you for the kind words Sylk and Izu and everyone else who contributes. All of you are my support structure, whether you say anything or not, and I can't thank you enough.

Autumn52

*Leaves a warm encouraging hug for you*

Your right on lunch isn't going to kill your diet and by having a light supper instead of skipping the meal you really helped your metabolism out. You are doing great and I am so inspired by you. Thank you again for sharing your progress and journey with us.

Hugs
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

grdell

It's a little late today, but only because I was out with a friend until just now, and having fun with friends is never a bad thing.

Everything's on track. Diet was very good yesterday. Cardio at the gym this morning.

Yesterday's session with the trainer ended with him telling me to be very body conscious this morning so that I would know what was sore from being worked and what was painful and what felt good. Turns out this morning it was my lats that hurt the most (and even cramped a little in the shower!), so we'll pay those special attention next time. My abs are objecting to the core work I'm doing, but they'll just have to suck it up because core work isn't going to stop just because they whine. They'll have to get used to it because I intend to have good abs by the time I'm done. Yes, I do. I promise pictures, in fact.  :D

Concerning pictures, I hadn't mentioned it yet, but I did take some "before" pictures so that there will be a basis of comparison for the "after" pictures. No, I won't show them yet - you'll have to wait until I have the "after" pictures. Then you'll be able to see the difference and marvel along with me. It will be good times!

grdell

Another weekend gone by, another Monday come around and results to be posted!

Current weight: 222 pounds (2 pounds lost last week, 8 pounds total so far)
Current stomach measurement: 46 1/2 inches (1/2 inch lost last week, 1 1/2 inches so far)

Progress has slowed somewhat, but that doesn't really surprise me. I was trying some different things with the diet that weren't as drastic reductions as I had in the first week. Healthy weight loss progress is only really supposed to be 1 - 2 pounds per week anyway.

I behaved myself during my cheat time Saturday night. I went over to a friend's house who was doing some grilling. Usually I'll have two pieces of chicken and 2 or 3 servings of his delicious grilled potatoes. This time I only had one piece of chicken and one serving of potatoes. So even during my cheat time, I'm doing better. I'll not lie, though, and tell you I did splurge on chocolate during that time, but I've got to have chocolate as it is my only vice!

This morning for my cardio workout, I increased the resistance on the machine in order to burn more calories in the same time and work myself a little harder. Success! 385 calories burned in 30 minutes, and I sweat like a fiend. Yes, I am drinking plenty of water, and I'm going to play a little loose with my sodium allowance today as well to replenish that.

And wouldn't you know it? Whole Foods had the Greek yogurt that I like on sale today after I stocked up at a different store just yesterday. I bought three more anyway. Now I don't need to buy yogurt for a week.

And speaking of yesterday, it was an interesting day all around. I went to the store because there were a few things that I needed to get, and I stood there and made a conscious decision to relax the diet a little. I told myself it would be okay. I could extend the cheat time one more day, seeing as how I was so good on Saturday night. But as I looked at the nutrition labels on things, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So I ended up buying the least evil, which turned out to be a good thing after all - my calorie intake yesterday was the lowest all week! Go figure. I make a conscious decision to indulge, and still end up doing great in spite of myself.

So that's the report for last week, the weekend, and today. Tomorrow I have another session on the Gravity machine, and look forward to getting sore all over again... ;)

Izu

*applauds* Bravo. :)  I (and I'm sure tons of other people here) are very proud of you. *nods*

Liquid Nitrogen

I'll admit, I've only just found your weight loss blog (or more appropriately titled, Fitness blog :) ) and I have to admit, this is a really fantastic idea to stay on course. I'll admit, I, too, am on the path to fitness (or regaining it, as being a full time student is taking a lot out of me) but here's something I've found really helps me:

European/Mediterranean style eating. They eat their heaviest meal in the middle of the day with a filling breakfast (oatmeal, some fruit...?), a mid-morning snack if need be, their biggest meal of the day at lunch (plenty of time to digest!), and if necessary, a mid-afternoon snack (a few veggies, a piece of fruit, some of that dark chocolate you like so much?) then one more meal at the end of the day, about 4 hours before bed.

I've experimented a lot with times to eat and how much to eat and when. I read your rant on BMI, and believe me, however long ago that was, I am fully behind you. BMI of 27 isn't terrible, but it's within the overweight limit, certainly. But my waist, thankfully, is nowhere near a danger zone. No, instead, it's all around my hips and thighs. Yay, being a woman? 5'4, 160 pounds, well, that's... certainly not thin. Solid, perhaps a little fuller, but with even weight distribution it's noticeable only when naked.

But back to the point - diet is truly up to the individual. I've experimented with the 'right diet and exercise' and I can't do 3 meals a day. Shoot, I can't even handle 4. I need about 5-6 otherwise I'm starving when it comes to meals and so much for portion control. (*raises hand* I am a foodaholic... for healthy foods). However, I did some research and tried eating 5-6 times a day - smaller meals, except for lunch. My caloric intake for the day stayed right where it needed to be to lose weight (I'm down to 147 from 154 (which took about 6 weeks) after only 3 weeks of doing this), I allow myself a small indulgence (a York peppermint patty - not only is it dark chocolate, but peppermint is an appetite suppressant!) if I get a hankering for something sweet, and I exercise every day.

Whether I go to the gym or not is another story, but I make sure I get exercise every day - for those days that the gym is closed, or it's raining too hard to walk there, or whatever the case may be, I do power yoga - movement, not static. Plus, as a fun class, I'm taking martial arts. Now THAT is a workout for your body!

But despite doing all of those things, until I switched my diet to the one I wrote above, I wasn't really losing any shape or weight. I switched to eating my heavy meal midday, and suddenly I'm losing 2-3 pounds every week. I've lost 1 1/2 inches in my waist, 2 inches in my thighs and my arms have toned up.

So maybe if you find your weight stagnating, try switching up your major meal time and see where it goes! I'll keep up with your blog here though, and hopefully this will help keep me motivated. You're doing a great thing for yourself, and doing it well!

Tschel23

I was away from this blog for a while, but I wanted to chime in. I'm still here and still behind you 100% on your journey, grdell. You are doing awesome!

grdell

I. Am. Wiped.

Every time my trainer gets me on that Gravity machine he shows me new things, and they just keep getting progressively harder. Today, he had me doing a hip abductor exercise that I could only do three reps of before I almost fell off the machine. It was easily the single hardest exercise I have ever done. Ever.

But it feels good, you know? I'm fatigued, but it's a good fatigue. I'm getting stronger and doing something for myself and my body that has ultimately good long-term results. As much as that machine wipes me out every time I get on it, I still find myself looking forward to it. It's almost masochistic...  ;)

I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself daily - you're supposed to pay more attention to longer term trends which is why I usually only weigh myself on Mondays. But today I had the urge to get on the scale. 220 pounds. That doesn't mean that I believe that I lost an additional two pounds just since yesterday or that I'm going to adjust my figures to say that I lost four pounds last week instead of only two. It just reinforces to me that daily fluctuations are too unpredictable to reliably track, and so I will resist the temptation to check daily. But in spite of all that, it still makes me feel good!  ;D

HockeyGod

Lilias

Looks like the endorphins are kicking in. You'll be a gym junkie before you know it! ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

grdell

And it's working!

Today I actually felt - physically - some real results! I did the same cardio workout on the elliptical machine that I did on Monday - the same settings for the same amount of time. But I was able to do it just a little bit harder, burning more calories, and it wasn't as hard and I didn't feel quite so much like I was going to have a stroke at any second (kidding). But I do mean that it seemed a little easier to do what was essentially harder work. So what that ultimately means is that I'm getting my cardio strength back!  ;D

This actually pleases me more than the trackable figures of pounds and inches lost. It's also more important for my overall long-term health.

They say that positive feedback is the best motivator. I'm inclined to agree!

I also stretched the living hell out of my legs when I was done for the day and am discovering a certain level of flexibility returning as well. I'll keep you up to date on that, too. I'm actually surprisingly flexible for my frame (I'm very compact), but still have a long way to go before I can do such things as touch my toes.

Autumn52

Congratulations on your success so far grdell. You continue to be
an inspiration. Flexibility is key to feeling great again. Your cardio
sounds like you are doing great as well. Super great congratulations
on keeping at it. Yay you.

Tschel23

Sounds like great progress! Keep it up!

grdell

No gym today.

Last night, I started developing a sore throat. I told myself that I would wait and see how I felt this morning before making any decisions. Well, this morning is no better, plus I'm having some head congestion and coughing. Looks like a cold or something. I figured it would be best to just stay home, rest, and drink lots of water.

I'll still follow the diet today, so it's not a total wash. But I also realize that exacerbating an illness by exertion is not going to help anything.

I really hope I feel better by tomorrow, though.

Autumn52

Hugs and I hope you feel better soon.

*Brings you some warm tea with lemon and honey.*

Captain Maltese

The one good thing about being a bit ill is that your apetite sinks. Drinks lots of water and hang in there. *hugs*

Nadir

*hugs Gredell* Hope it gets better, hun.

grdell

Felt good enough today to go to the gym and get the hell beat out of me on the Gravity machine again. And this time...

I have, for the first time, felt a mind / body disconnect. The trainer has been telling me all along that part of the philosophy of this machine is to work the muscle to absolute fatigue - work it until it refuses to give any more. This has finally happened. He did something around the back of the machine that shortened the cable and increased the resistance. Then he had me doing some arm/shoulder stuff. By the third variation, I was having great difficulty even holding my arms up much less moving them. He wanted me to do something, I started doing it, and then my arms just stopped. It was an odd sensation. I imagine it must be a tiny glimmer of what it's like to be paralyzed - to tell your muscles to do something only to have them absolutely refuse to do it. The only thing they would do - and they even did this with a great deal of protest - was to relax. I let them collapse to my side while I sat there and panted. Then I drank a huge amount of water and did some stretching. Damn, it feels good to stretch after working out!

I have one more day of cardio, then my official cheat time, then Sunday off before it's a whole new week. I feel great so far, it's actually apparent to some that I'm losing weight, and I remain fully optimistic. It's true that seeing results is the greatest motivator!

Tschel23

True mind-body connection is a unique experience. That muscle fatigue is an odd sensation, but now that you've felt it, you know what it is. You are most likely going to experience a bit more soreness because of the amount of muscle tea-rdown that happens in order to replace it with newer, better, stronger muscle tissue.

grdell

Well, good news and bad news.

First, the statistics:

Weight: 219 pounds (Total of 11 pounds lost so far)
Waist: 46 inches (Total of 2 inches lost so far)

The bad news is that my cheat time went far too long and I indulged far too much. Thursday I had a big lunch and didn't cut back on dinner to compensate. I played a little loose on Friday. Saturday I had WAY too much during my cheat time and felt bloated for it.

Which leads me to Sunday and the good news. Yesterday I came so close to indulging again. I felt like binging and I almost gave in. Well, in truth, I did give in, but not with what I was initially planning on. I kept staring at the menu for the Chinese place just down the block from me, trying to justify the indulgence with the walk down there. Ultimately, I did indulge - but not with Chinese food. No. I ate a whole head of iceberg lettuce. Now, as some people are fond of stating, iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value. Usually, I like to point out that water has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever yet is still the most important thing our body needs. And iceberg lettuce is little more than water and fiber. Fiber! Hey, guess what? That's something else very important our body needs! Wow. Who'd of thunk it? Anyway, I figured that while binging was bad, binging on lettuce was a hell of a lot better than chicken and broccoli with fried rice. I still felt bad afterward - both physically and emotionally - but I also realized that I would have felt a lot worse on both fronts had I given in to my original craving.

So, all told, I sabotaged myself a little these past four days, and have a minuscule improvement to show for it. Do I look on this as a failure? No. I look on it as a motivator. It shows me what happens when I let my guard down and make excuses and justifications to myself. It makes me want to try harder. It makes me even more determined.

This morning in my cardio routine, I met one of my goals - 400 calories in 30 minutes. Now it's time to ramp the intensity up some more and set a new goal.

Today is a fresh new day and the start of a whole new week. Attitude is everything, and mine remains positive.

Tschel23

Attitude isn't everything, but it is definitely a big piece of the pie chart. Yours has been fantastic. Cheating happens, I know I was a bit of a help with that this weekend with that devilish chocolate cake. But it was your cheat day. You are still loosing, and if cheating yesterday was a head of iceberg, I think you'll be okay, sweets. Love you!

Anjasa

I find the best thing that keeps me from bingeing is to focus on how crappy I feel after eating something bad for me - physically and mentally. It helps keep me 'in line'.

grdell

Wow. That machine just keeps kicking my ass around the block and back again. Although significant progress is being quickly made and that makes me very satisfied. I'm ready to knock the level up to five for the lower body stuff already, since I was on level four today and able to do more than I was supposed to be able to do. I am also noticing a significant increase in range of motion thanks to extensive stretching, especially around the hips. I've always had very tight hamstrings because of my build, but my mobility through that area has increased tremendously in just three weeks.

I was true to my word and really clamped down hard on the diet yesterday with no extraneous eating at all. I kept myself well within my calorie limit and plan on doing the same today.

Results the best motivator? Absolutely. I am really starting to feel it now, more so than just see it. And it's a great feeling...

Tschel23

Mobility is great. Results are awesome! Yay!

Captain Maltese

Got a picture pf this wondermachine?

grdell

grdell

Well, I know one thing for sure: the two elliptical machines of the type that I use are not calibrated the same. I usually use the one on the left, but on Monday, when I reported such significant progress in that area, someone was already on it, so I had to use the one on the right. When I tried to duplicate Monday's feat this morning back on Ole' Lefty, I couldn't do it. Don't get me wrong - I'm still seeing progress, just not that sudden jump I believed I had experienced. It just turns out that that machine is a good deal easier. It's the one on the left from now on so that I can more accurately track my progress.

My abs are sore as all hell from yesterday's workout on the Gravity machine, which is a good sign that I worked them and worked them hard. Every time it's something different, it seems. But then, every time I get on there, the trainer concentrates on a different area, so that makes sense. He's trying to prevent my body from getting used to it, since keeping it always new keeps the workouts at their most effective.

The diet got a little weird yesterday, but I'm not worried. I was out and about for a lot of the day, so it was my timing that got messed up. I usually try to eat every two to three hours, but yesterday that wasn't an option for over five hours, and I ended up having a little more than I should have when I got back home. I stayed under my calorie quota, though, so it's not bad. I'm just being totally honest because otherwise what's the point of keeping this blog? I have to be honest - to you and to myself - or this will never work.

grdell

I belive I am beginning to notice the inevitable: that my weight decrease is slowing down while my waist decrease is not due to build up of muscle mass. I have to wonder what my final weight will be when I reach my goal of a flat stomach, and how disappointed my idiot doctor will be when it's still an "unacceptably high" BMI. I'll tell him to shut the hell up and find another doctor if he says that.

The reason I say this is because I got on the scale again this morning, out of morbid curiosity, and have noticed no significant decrease in weight, even though I continue to cinch my belt tighter. I wouldn't be at all surprised if my BMI remains high even after I reach my goal simply because I'm built like someone 6 - 8 inches taller than me. I'm just vertically compressed.

So yeah, diet went well enough yesterday, and cardio this morning was normal. The routine is becoming exactly that - routine - and therefore starting to get boring. I can see that if I want to keep my enthusiasm high, I'm going to have to start trying some new things pretty soon.

Izu

I'm like you - my weight has stopped going down despite my body shrinking. I'm the same weight as last year this time, but my jeans are two sizes smaller than last year's and are already getting big on me. That's why I pretty much no longer weigh myself but just take my measurments - knee, thigh, hips, waist, chest, biceps, neck. Try the same. :)

Why don't you spice up the workouts with some classes - tae bo?

Oniya

*seconds what Izu said*  Martial arts are supposedly excellent for improving/maintaining flexibility, which you mentioned as a goal a while back.

grdell

Another day on the Gravity machine, another day sore as hell. Last time, we concentrated on core and abs and the next day my abs were sore enough to prove it. Today we focused on shoulders. I told him that it didn't matter how much my shoulders would hurt tomorrow as they hurt enough now. But, as I have said before, you can't argue with results, and results are definitely happening. My strength and flexibility have increased significantly. It even occured to me the other day that I had walked up the stairs and hadn't even noticed that I wasn't winded by it. Progress! Progress is good!  ;D

On the diet front, well... Yesterday was Thursday which is my knitting circle day, and that takes place next door to a really awesome Italian restaurant. When I went in to order something light for dinner, they were making gnocchi, which I had never had before. I caved and ordered some - but! - I did not finish the whole plate. And it had nothing to do with not liking it. I loved it. Everything there is really good. But the shift in my attitude away from always having to finish everything put in front of me is a huge advancement. I also didn't have any of the apricot coffee cake that one of the other knitters brought. My self control, while not perfect, is at least not weak.

grdell

Well...

Things are, as they say, less than perfect. But they could certainly be a lot worse. Yesterday I attended a party. I was weak. But I certainly didn't eat as much as I could have, so I was also strong. Today I did not go to the gym - but I went for a three mile walk. Compromise. It's all about compromise.

I can't post weight because I don't know it yet, but I did lose an additional half inch off my waist bringing it down to 45 1/2 inches.

Tomorrow I have the Gravity machine again, so I can't miss the gym then. That will get me back on track. I'm already good for the diet today so far, so that's back on track, too. I figure I have to be completely honest, and that includes posting my "less-than-success"es just as much as my triumphs, or this whole thing isn't going to work. But what I've been saying all along still holds true - keeping this going is keeping me going. Knowing that I have to be completely honest with all of you is helping me tremendously. I know that I wouldn't have made it even this far if I wasn't doing this and had everybody's support. Again, I thank you all!

GothicFires

One more inch and your waist will match my hips! But I'm on board with you now. I need to knock about about 50 pounds off my frame. I took my weight and measurements today.

Don't be too hard on yourself for 'failures' the last time I lost weight I lost 40 pounds with little to no exercise by managing my calorie intake and never felt deprived. I ate what I wanted but with in the limits that I had set. Then I let stress determine that it didn't matter and gained it back. You don't fail by 'cheating' you fail when you stop being aware of what comes in your body and how you manage your calorie burn.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

grdell

And again the Gravity machine kicks my ass. And to make matters worse, I went out and did laundry afterward, so I am totally spent.

Brief today because I am still overemotional. (See here.) Due to that, I also cheated on my diet yesterday, but today my appetite is all but nonexistent. Go figure.

It all evens out in the end.

grdell

Yes, I missed a couple of days there. For those of you keeping up with my A/A page, you'll know why. Suffice it to say, I was in no mood...

But I'm back. My mood is better and I went and got my ass kicked by the machine again. I feel like pronouncing it the way they did in "The Princess Bride" - The MACHINE. ;)

Today, it was all about slow, controlled motions which are much harder than short bursts. I know that he did that since I've got four days to heal before my next session on Tuesday. And I know I'm going to need them...

Anyway, the truth of the matter is simple. In the past, I would have breaks like this one, and I had always let it kill all of my forward momentum. I'd return to my old habits, slowly but surely, and undo all my hard work yet again. Then I would get some sort of motivator again and start the cycle all over. This time is different, and it's not got anything to do with the doctor. Not even my health or fitness or appearance or self-confidence. It's about following through. I've started this blog to let you all know how I'm doing, and I'm not about to give up now and say to everybody "Hey! Look! I gave up!"

That's not gonna happen.

Is it the right motive? Who cares. It'll see me through for the first time in my life. In this case I think, at least somewhat, that the ends will ultimately justify the means. You do what you need to do to get the job done, right?

Oniya

Doing something just so you can say you did it (or didn't quit) is a perfectly fine motivation.  It's worked for Everest-climbers for years.  ;D

Izu

Everyone has the right of downs. Emotional, physical, dietary. What's important is that you get up once you've fallen, don't beat up yourself over the mistakes and the downs, and just move forward. Like you did. I'm proud of you, Grdell. Just remember that you can still reach your goal even if you make steps back every now and then as long as after those steps back you continue walking forward. ;]

grdell

You know, what with all the crazy stuff going on last week, I fully expected it to be a wash and to have not lost much of anything, but it turns out that in spite of myself, I made progress! Another half inch lost, bringing me down to 45 inches. That's a total of three inches in five weeks.

I did go for a six mile walk yesterday*... and paid for it. The rest of the day I could hardly move my legs. I did a lot of laying on the couch and sitting at the computer when I wasn't doing some stretches. This morning, however, I'm feeling much better. I guess just leaving them alone for eight hours was enough for my legs to forgive me.

And speaking of stretches... Yes, I know how tremendously important it is to keep up with stretching, and just to illustrate the point to me, my trainer was doing some leg stretches that I didn't think I'd EVER be able to do when I first started that I can now do myself, almost as well as he does. I'll never be able to do them exactly the same way that he does, as my body shape is different from his, but I can still make the goal, and that's what matters. Especially considering that I couldn't even get close to it as little as four weeks ago. He considers me something of a freak, anyway, as I am unusually limber for someone of my body type (I'm extraordinarily compact). I'm able to lay the bottom of my foot flat against my stomach, which you wouldn't think would be possible from looking at me. He saw me doing it one day and just stood there and stared for a moment before saying "You're strange." You know, I never get tired of hearing that...  ;)

Anyway, I'm taking it easy today. Maybe I'll go for a short walk later today, if I feel up to it (don't worry, I won't push myself). But I do have my next appointment for the Gravity machine tomorrow, so I want to be ready!

* - My view from the East Coast Greenway:

Tschel23

A gorgeous pic, grdell! Makes me want to go on an adventure!

Oniya

Quote from: grdell on July 04, 2011, 07:51:06 AM
I'm able to lay the bottom of my foot flat against my stomach, which you wouldn't think would be possible from looking at me. He saw me doing it one day and just stood there and stared for a moment before saying "You're strange." You know, I never get tired of hearing that...  ;)

Wow - I can barely get my heel to the front of my pelvic bone, never mind trying to turn the sole any further towards my body.

grdell

Okay, that's it. I'm not using the scale anymore for quite a while.

I posted yesterday that I had lost yet another half inch. But when I got on the scale today I discovered that I had put weight back on. I'm back up to 222. I know muscle weighs more than fat, and it's really the waist thing that's far more important right now, but damn. Not to mention that my psycho-stupid doctor is only looking at weight because he's a moron.

All that aside, I had a good session on the Gravity machine today, really worked the hell out of me, just like always. So screw the weight thing. I'm making progress. I know it, I feel it.

Tschel23

You are making progress, grdell! I am sure you can tell by the fit of your clothes as well as your overall fitness. There comes a time when the scale does not show your progress. It happens. Don't let it get you down, scales are evil! Take a break from the scale for a while, your progress may be to the point where it will show more in endurance, flexibility and clothing fit than it will on the scale.

Oniya

If you're one of those people that needs a number to track progress, I remember Izu talking about tracking your waist measurement (and/or around your arms and legs).

grdell

Well, it looks like all the work on the Gravity machine and the long walks are having an effect on my endurance, after all. I got on the elliptical today after not having been on it for almost a week (I know I was bad, but last week was hard), and was able to go at a higher intensity for longer. I worked up a sweat, sure, but my heart rate didn't get too high.

I did more stretching after my workout today than usual - just because I had new music on my MP3 player and I wanted to hear it all. Hey - whatever works, right? ;)

After my shower, I was eyeballing the scale. I know what I said yesterday, but I had a morbid curiosity and stepped on it anyway. 220. Weight fluctuates too much, too rapidly, and for far too many reasons to use it as any kind of reliable gauge of progress in my opinion.

And this blog continues to help. I didn't want to go to the gym at all today, but I really didn't want to go for a walk in this heat and I couldn't just say that I hadn't done anything. So I thought about my choices and realized that if I want to stay true to myself and to all of you, there really isn't any choice. So I went.

And I'm glad I did.

Ashleebabe

Muscles weighs more than fat, keep that in mind!

I am in the same ship you are but I am having doctors help. I am sorry your Doc was not too cool about the BMI thing.

I think, just a suggestion, that if you are working muscles, protein shakes help a lot. It curves cravings and give you an extra dose of protein.

KEEP UP THE KICKASS WORK!!!!

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Oniya

I've actually had protein drinks recommended to me as well, although my problem is the opposite of most people's.

Captain Maltese

Protein powder etc is good, but the best is protein-rich food. Like tuna. On the other hand you can mix protein powder into most food, it tastes very little.

Izu

Protein drinks and bars are good, but one should be very careful when they take them in and how they take them in, because they can lead to building muscles and slimming down if take correctly, or they can just be an extra meal or two and lead to adding weight. So if anyone goes this way they should make sure to ask a professional how to take them.

grdell

Sorry it's a bit late today, but I've been out all day.

Today I tried to push myself even harder than I did yesterday and set a new record on the elliptical machine. Not a good idea. As I said, yesterday my heart rate never got too high. Today it did. I had to slow down my pace a little because, after all, I don't want a heart attack while trying to gain cardio strength. That would just be too ironic. I ended up setting a new personal best anyway, though, so all's well that ends well. And of course, I still have the Gravity machine tomorrow.

GothicFires

Quote from: grdell on July 06, 2011, 11:06:39 AM
After my shower, I was eyeballing the scale. I know what I said yesterday, but I had a morbid curiosity and stepped on it anyway. 220. Weight fluctuates too much, too rapidly, and for far too many reasons to use it as any kind of reliable gauge of progress in my opinion.

only weigh your self in the mornings after you pee and poop  ??? and if you don't have a scale that does decimal points then you may not see a change from day to day.

Good job on keeping up with things! My sister is in town for a wedding, that combined with the holiday I will probably gain again this week  :P
looking for new games

grdell

A few new moves on the Gravity machine today, and I've got the soreness to prove it - including a few new crunch moves. I swear, if I don't end up with abs I could crack a walnut with, I don't know what I'll do... ;)

I also spoke with the owner on the way out of the club today. I don't go to a big national chain gym. I prefer the personal attention I get where I go, which has just the one location and I know the owner on a first-name basis. First, I wanted to ask him about shoes, but then we got to talking about my cardio routine, and he showed me how to do interval training the right way so that I can kick the machine's ass before too long. I can't wait to put that into effect next week!  ;D

grdell

Sorry about yesterday, but I was in pain... Long story. The good news is the oppressive heat is putting a damper on my appetite, so I'm holding on to my diet... well, to be honest, mostly. But at least it was fat-free frozen yogurt instead of ice cream and therefore vastly fewer calories, so that's not all bad...  ;)

Today we did "surfers" on the Gravity machine, and while I didn't fall off - which I was told can happen - it did wear me the hell out. My trainer told me that I have made incredile progress so far - much better than he anticipated for me by this point - but I reminded him that it's easier to get back muscle that you once had than it is to build it up in the first place, and none of this is new to me.

Now I just need to get rid of the visceral fat and I'd be all set. Speaking of which, I didn't have any wasit inch loss this week, but I'm not surprised, really, given the circumstances of late. But I'm not giving up hope. I have got to keep at it or I'm not going to see any long-term improvement, and that's what matters.

Oniya

Another good sub for ice cream/frozen yogurt is frozen bananas. (assuming you like bananas).  Slice, freeze and then run through a blender.

GothicFires

I freeze white grapes, sliced strawberries, blue berries and black berries too. They are very yummy during the summer time and i'm much of a fruit person.
looking for new games

grdell

The slippery slope. Here I went two days with nothing in terms of working out, but I justify it to myself by saying "yeah, but at least I was still (somewhat) on the diet." I knew this was going to happen. This is how it always starts. A little laziness that I justify and ignore.

NO MORE!

I went to the gym this morning because I had the appointment with the trainer for the Gravity machine. Would I have gone if not for that? Probably not. This has got to stop. I lost nothing this past week - no inches, no pounds.

But I can't think of it as a setback - I need to think of it as an object lesson in just how easily even something so planned and recorded can go awry. I promised that I'd give daily updates, but I haven't even been doing that regularly. Again, I justify it away. "Well, I didn't got to the gym today - but I'll go tomorrow, then I'll post. I'll apologize and that will make it all better."

NO IT DOESN'T.

You know, I even went and saw a therapist at one point because of this. I didn't understand why I wasn't doing the things that I KNEW were good for me. Why couldn't I keep up with going to the gym and not eating so damn much? Why did I give up so easily all the time? She kind of helped, but in many ways, not really.

It's at times like this that I get angry with myself. Not when I fail to go, but when I pick it all back up again and resume. I get angry after the fact that I didn't do what I knew I should have done and had no excuse not to and yet still didn't do.

This blog helps. The fact that I'm paying for these appointments with the trainer helps. The fact that my old suits don't fit anymore helps. Let's see if I can't pick this up again and get back on track after almost two weeks of excuses and justifications and disappointments. I have to think positive again and I need some serious butt-kicking.

I'm going to make this work, dammit.

Oniya

As I believe I saw in one of MasterMischief's posts:  To fall down is not failure.  To not get up again - that is to failure.  You're getting back up again, and as long as you keep getting back up again, you'll beat this thing.

Now go out there and kick the Grav-machine's butt!  ;D

grdell

Another Monday, another six mile walk. Which is actually quite an achievement, I think. In spite of what I said last week, I almost didn't do anything today. But I'm sticking to my guns and even though I didn't go to the gym this morning, I still got out and did something.

I'm not posting any results today, as I don't actually want to know. But next Monday, definitely. I'm going to be careful what I eat and work out every day and damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! I think I'll be back to making real progress by next week, and so we shall see together - which is why I'm keeping this blog going even through my dark times of almost giving up. I'm not going to let that happen.

Lady Aura

Quote from: grdell on June 01, 2011, 04:58:11 PM

As far as the BMI and "Ideal" weight I should way 125 pounds. Add about 125 to that and you have me, but if you look at my lifestyle, my eating habit and even what I have been though, there will be no way I can get under 190 again unless I really push myself and not eat.

I currently don't eat fast food except that once in a while occasion that it's a treat, Worse thing I drink is coffee or Tea. As far as my eating, I eat granola bars during the day when I am not home and then actual meals at home. I drink water, I exercise every day.

And for 5 weeks of exercising, I can tell you I have in fact gained 5 pounds. I know it is all muscle I gained, but that's after 5 weeks of walking. The doctors tell me I need to exercise more, I need to walk more. I can't i have arthritis in my knees, the little I walk (not counting up and down stairs) has my knees locked by the end of the day.

Main thing is, your body will tell you when it can't do anymore, and it will stop you before you push yourself to extreme pain. Good news among this entire rant? The bit i have walked each day used to take me half an hour (round trip an hour) and now its only a 10 minute walk one way. :) hoping to get her down to five minutes soon.

But Grdell, you are doing awesome, keep it up and you will get there.

Current RP Status: Not taking any more RP's

Oniya

Quote from: Lady Aura on July 18, 2011, 07:51:48 PM
And for 5 weeks of exercising, I can tell you I have in fact gained 5 pounds. I know it is all muscle I gained, but that's after 5 weeks of walking. The doctors tell me I need to exercise more, I need to walk more. I can't i have arthritis in my knees, the little I walk (not counting up and down stairs) has my knees locked by the end of the day.

Lady A - have you looked into exercises that don't involve weight-bearing?  (I'm guessing that they want 'walking' because it helps keep the joints moving, and the synovial fluid distributed)  If you have access to a pool, you can probably do flexibility exercises without the added burden of your own weight.   If not, there's things like 'bicycling' (where you lie on your back and 'pedal' in the air).

Since my roommate has ankle issues (severe sprain with probable nerve damage, and a malpractice suit in the works), I've been looking into such things.

grdell

IN THE PAIN!

Long walk yesterday. Gravity machine today followed by a trip to the launrdomat.

I am most certainly burning calories like nobody's business and am in the pain to prove it. I am now hungry and waiting for lunch to finish so that I may lay on the couch for like eight hours and not move. Between fatigue and the heat... well...

And don't worry - I am drinking PLENTY of ice-cold water. For multiple reasons.

grdell

All right, so I went to the gym today for cardio. Looks like I'm well on my way to getting back on track, right?

Well, yesterday I was a little sick and feeling very tired. Too tired, in fact, to cook properly, so I ended up getting takeout. But still, it could have been worse. And the occasional indulgence outside of the established cheat day isn't going to bring down my entire effort - unless I let it. And I think I've made the point that I'm not going to.

Today I have a follow-up appointment with my idiot doctor where I get to tell him my progress. I'll let you know what he says.

Oniya

Make sure you tell him the non-quantifiable things - like this bit:

Quote from: grdell on July 06, 2011, 11:06:39 AM
Well, it looks like all the work on the Gravity machine and the long walks are having an effect on my endurance, after all. I got on the elliptical today after not having been on it for almost a week (I know I was bad, but last week was hard), and was able to go at a higher intensity for longer. I worked up a sweat, sure, but my heart rate didn't get too high.

grdell

He was impressed by my progress, but not enough. My BP has only gone down by 10 / 6 and he wanted more than that. He did say that I was making good progress and that if I could keep it up that I would most likely be off the medication once I got down to a "healthy weight." I'm not going to reach his goal weight, but if I can reach his goal BP - and I WILL - then that's good enough for me.

grdell

I am making a conscious decision to not do anything today. I need to recover from a couple of very minor workout-related injuries. I will still follow the diet, perhaps even a little more stringently today, but I won't do anything physical.

I would be lying if I said that the fact that I have an interview today had nothing to do with that decision. This is a really good opportunity, and I don't want to show up walking funny.

I don't think of this as any kind of "reward" for the somewhat positive doctor's appointment yesterday - merely as a necessary break to let my legs heal up a little more and avoid potential distraction from getting a job. Both of which are important. One day off isn't going to kill me.

grdell

It's a good thing I took yesterday off - I needed it. Today he worked me hard. I called him a "sadistic bastard" more than once. But I'm doing more crunches than ever before, so something good's coming of it.

Today was the hottest day of the week so far in a long string of very hot days, and since my apartment does not have AC, I spent the hottest part of the day at the movie theater. Which means two movies, which means a meal in between, which means I cheated on my diet again. It's too damn hot to care, though. As long as I don't have to cook it, and I can sit down in the AC to eat it, I'm happy to have anything. I'll be glad when this heat wave breaks Sunday and I can resume normal thought.

grdell

Good workout this morning on the Gravity machine. The trainer said I'm even more flexible than he is - he calls me "Gumby."

However, I've been in a dark mood for the last two weeks, and not caring enough. I've been overeating again and not going to the gym regularly. I checked my waist measurement today and have actually taken a step backward and gained an inch back. Back up to 46 inches from 45. This has GOT to stop and be reversed again. I'm headed out to the store now where I will get more lettuce and rather conspicuously NOT get any frozen yogurt.

I promised I'd record everything - my failures as well as my triumphs - and I'm doing so. I'll not lie to you - it's hard. It's really hard. But damn it, I'm going to do my best anyway.

grdell

Okay, a lot has happened these past few days which is what has caused me to not post. But, on the flip side, I am 100% positive that it will help out!

I finally got a job! The reason this will help is that it provides the external structure of regular hours upon which to hang my gym time and my diet considerations.

Today's workout on the Gravity machine was good, but my eating habits have been all over the place these last couple of days... I've been "celebrating" ever since I got the news. Well, can you blame me? Being unemployed for six months is pretty damn stressful and the magnitude of good news is going to have its effect, too.

I start next week, and that means that spotty gym attendance will be fixed and my diet will be forced back on track. I expect that solid results will soon follow. Week 11's first post will either bear me out or make a liar out of me. We'll find out together!

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

grdell

I'd like to think of this as "Phase 2" or "Stage 2" or whatever term you want to use. I am back on track with a vengeance now that I have a framework to give structure to my life again. So I'll start off with revised starting figures:

Weight: 218 pounds (down 12 pounds from the original start 9 weeks ago)
Waist: 46 inches (down two inches from the original start)

I did a full cardio workout this morning which I haven't done in a while and am sticking to my diet come hell or high water today and the rest of this week. Last week I really went crazy celebrating the new job by overeating entirely too much and now I have to make up that lost progress.

Here we go again. Hopes high. I am GOING to make this work.

grdell

Yes, I haven't posted in a while. Yes, last week was a mistake and a lot of assumptions were made. Last week was insane busy with it being my first week back to work AND tech week for the play. But now the play is over and I can settle into the routine I really wasn't ready for then.

I began interval training to improve my cardio strength today. Yes, today and not yesterday. Why? Because yesterday I needed a day of utter and absolute rest after the weekend.

So yeah. Interval training. I knew about it, but I didn't know how hard it really is. I sweat like a fiend. I'm hoping to achieve good results, though, if everything I've read about it is true. Plus, my new job is on the third floor, and I prefer to take the stairs. Every little bit helps, after all. So, results posting as they happen, I promise.

Oniya

You'd be surprised how much those little things add up.  I convinced my roommate to tally up how much sugar she was actually using in her coffee, and the number scared her so much that she started cutting back - now down to 3 tbsp a day.