(NCE System) Legend of the Five Rings: Why so serious?

Started by Muse, June 16, 2009, 07:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Yeah, the system blew, but I loved the setting and had a good GM.  No complaints here.  Is the rulebook required?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Muse

not nessicarily, Kckolbe.  i often help people new to a sytem through things. 

If you don't mind my making acharecter for you, we can probably get youin. 

A lotofthesefolks can help too, though Pally really should get the Revised book before he tries to help withcharecters. 

(He's been an amazing help in spite of that, as have Anubis and Asku and any number ofothers.  :)  ) 

Here's a much improved game intro. 

In 1170, Emperor Totori III and his imediate family where assasinated, whiping out the last of his blood line.  Celestial forces interceded to stop a new series of clan wars, sending a dragon to coil around the imperial pallace and declaring that he would allow none to enter the throne room save the winner of the invitational tournament to be held in 1174.  'Til then, he would watch every person of samurai blood in all of Rokugan, seeing every great deed.  The 777 who did the greatest deeds would be invited to participate in a tournament, and to the winner would go the mandate of heaven to take the throne. 

Miya Rumiko, most beautiful maiden of the Miya family, daughter of the most beautful Dragon family Samurai-ko of her generation, put aside her courtier's finery to don her mother's armor and katana.  She left the court with three rivals, two human supporters, a Nezumi, and a Naga.  They devoted themselves for the next four years to earning their way to the tournament by rooting out the taint of Jinkugo that was rotting it's way into the heart of Rokugan.  May songs be sung of their deeds when their bones have splintered to ash. 

In 1174 Rumiko bested two rivals, Miyazawa of the Crane Clan and Akito of the Lion Clan, and her third, Himura of the Spider Clan, fought her with all he had, proved the better, but rather than draw her blood in victory surendered with the words, "Curious.  Four years, I've fought to best you in this moment.  Now I know my true ambition is nothing more than to spend the rest of my life the way I have these past four years." 

In the last fight, Rumiko faced a samurai whom she knew to be tainted by Jingoku and poised to bring an army of oni into the capitol.  Seeing on his belt the red gold flute that could unleash a hundred demons on the city with a single trill, she foresook her ambitions and cut him down in the tournament.  In the shocked hush that followed, she offered the tainted object to the dragon, informed him of it's use, and then offered her sipoku for the crime of violating the strictures of the tourment. 

The dragon smiled, "And so, as all you have done in pursuit of your ambitions has been an act of purification, so are you too in this moment washed clean of your ambitions.  For your crime, I take from you the name of the person you once were, and impose upon you the geas of heaven with your new name, and with it the mandate of heeaven.  Rise, Empress Jade, and purify the land that you rule." 

Her eyes have been the collor of Jade ever since. 

That was six months ago. 

Rokugan now scrambles to recover from the chaos that lead up to the tournament as the Empress works to solidify her position and excercise her mandate.  Though the Crab Clan are among her fiercest supporters, they must as always devote the vast majority of their forces to the Wall that keeps the Shadowlands from spreading it's taint across the world. 

Across the mountains from the wall, in crab lands proper, word has spread that two provinces have faced peasent uprisings so extensive that the only possible response was slaughter. 

Letters go out now, to dirctly to current veteran emerald magistraits, but also the Daimyo of the clans ordering specific samurai by name drafted into the Emerald Magistraits to travel to the city of Kyuden Kitsune in Mantis lands where they will recieve their instructions from the monk Guseppi. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

The Eight Bright Stars

Bright Star of Akodo's Blood    (Lion Clan)      Open 
   Bright Star of Bayushi's Blood    (Scorpion Clan)     Open?  Phaia?
Yukiko: Bright Star of Doji's Blood.   (Crane Clan)       Aeval. 
   Bright star of Hantei's Blood.  (Imperial bloodlnes.)   Open. 
?   Bright Star of Hida's Blood.   (Crab Clan)      Asku

?   Bright Star of Shiba's Blood   (Pheonix Can)      Solstice
   Bright Star of Shinjo's Blood   (Unicorn Clan)      Open
   Bright Star of Togashi's blood   (Dragon Clan)      Open

Every century so, it has been recorded in a few obscure texts, eight bright stars are born, beautiful damsels, karmicliy linked, stagering of acomplishment and destiny, but doomed, should they live long enough to bear issue, to be outshined by their sons. 

For unkown reasons, the Empress Jade has signed orders requesting many, maybe all, of the still virgin Bright stars for this mission. 

(Though having just turned twenty three would make her over a year older than any other of the Bright Stars, some might wonder if Jade ishereself one of them.  Most however, have never even come across any of the four obscure texts that mention the Eight Bright Stars.) 

This is a game of Legend of the Five Rings with the added twist of a few factions in the know contesting for the hand in marriage of or, in the case of darker forces, simply the son of, the Eight Bright Stars.  Though I hope tohave some fun with that aspect, (exaclty how much fun decided mostly by the players of the individual bright stars and the dictates of the story), this is not an orgy story, a romp, or a farce.  It is, however, a game, and as the mission statement points out, if anyone tells me i can't do something in the holy game of L5R, my most likely response will be, "Watch me!" 

It is also a game on Eliquiy, and one that encourages the use of non-violent solutions to problems.  I encourage both these things.  If love, lust, seduction, or a tasteful non con scene will further the mision, go for it.  If it will detract from the plot, please don't bother.  if its somewhere in between, i'm quite happy to happy to encourage side stories.  :)

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Paladin

Muse, I don't have the Money to get the Revised edition. I feel the revised edition is not needed and is just a way for AEG to make more money. There wasn't enough changes to warrent a revised edition. From what I'm told the changes could have been put in a 2 page erratta sheet.

kckolbe

Well, I remain interested.  Is playing a bright star required?  If so, I might have a fun char concept already, a Lion who was "ronined"  Akodo Bei (I created him as an NPC for a game I was going to run that never happened).  If not, I'll just as soon play a random samurai.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Also, just occurred to me I might be able to buy it online and download it.  What is the name of the book?

Intro Thread

Paladin

Quote from: kckolbe on June 22, 2009, 05:28:06 PM
Well, I remain interested.  Is playing a bright star required?  If so, I might have a fun char concept already, a Lion who was "ronined"  Akodo Bei (I created him as an NPC for a game I was going to run that never happened).  If not, I'll just as soon play a random samurai.

The Bright star thing is an idea of Muse's and I think they are all to be Female. Also the main book. is Legend of the 5 Rings: Revised edition. Look on RPG drivethrough. I think it was 22$ roughly rather than 35 or 40.

Muse

Indeed on both the bright stars genders and the name of the book. 

pally and i had a telephone confrence and figured out he difrences between charece generation rules.  if you need to buld from a third edition book, and need to buy an Advantage with exp, it costs double.  Only difrence we've found. 

Muse

Quote from: kckolbe on June 22, 2009, 07:02:05 PM
Also, just occurred to me I might be able to buy it online and download it.  What is the name of the book?
Kc kolbe, sugestions for charecters who aren't bright stars. 

A.  They were either emerald magistrats in the past, or had done something to distincguish themselves in the last few years to draw the attenion of the emerald magistraits. 

B.  Somewhere, someone, for some reason, has inserted into the chain of orders that the magistraits (old and new) recruited for the job (who are not Bright Stars) should be sedcable.  So they should havea reputation, deserved or otherwise, that by the time it got to the ears of some distant person made them think, "this person is a person who can be controled through their heart or loins." 

We have shugenja and bushi a plenty, but not many others. 

no monks, or exmaple, or courtiers that i'm aware of.  Alterntaivly, if you didn't want to participate in the erotic happenings at all, but still watned to play, you could play a nezumi. 

kckolbe

Oh, I am up for being part of all of it.  I could play a more courtier-esque char if that is lacking, and I will keep your points in mind (I need to look at the rules before committing too much to a particular char concept).  Anyways, off to RPG drive through!

EDIT:100% downloaded, about to be ready (RPGdrivethru/RPGdrivethrough didn't show up so I went to RPGnow)

Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

HairyHeretic

Muse, how do you want to handle someone wanting to play an Emerald Magistrate? Would that be GM appointed, or bought as an advantage?

I'm fairly familiar with the Magistrates, after spending 3 years running the City of Lies with my own pen and paper group :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 23, 2009, 05:33:17 AM
Muse, how do you want to handle someone wanting to play an Emerald Magistrate? Would that be GM appointed, or bought as an advantage?

I'm fairly familiar with the Magistrates, after spending 3 years running the City of Lies with my own pen and paper group :)

Umm Hairy, I think we are going to be turned into Emerald Magistraits for this game.

Muse

Indeed, but if you were a senior emerald magistrait, buy ranks in the advantage "Social standing.' 

HairyHeretic

I wasn't quite sure. After all, you have both Emerald and Clan magistrates, who are served by Yoriki and Doshin, and a non bushi magistrate could easily have a Yojimbo too. Plenty of roles for people outside of just Magistrates.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

HairyHeretic

If you want to think of the Magistrate as being the Judge, the Yoriki is the Police Chief, and the Doshin are the beat cops.

Clan Magistrates have authority within their own clans lands, and may be assigned to the staff of an Emerald Magistrate, as according to the Emerald Magistrates charter, there are some crimes fall within the purview of the Emerald Champion, and some within that of a Clan or City Magistrate.

Shukenga can frequently have yojimbo (bodyguards) to take challenges for them, and while less seen for a Courtier, its not impossible.

Similarly, a Magistrate can have non Magistrate staff as experts .. perhaps a Tsuruchi bounty hunter, a Kuni witchhunter or a Phoenix shukenga, to provide skills they themselves lack. Additionally, you might have your own eta torturer.

I'm kinda tempted to go for the senior magistrate, and buy a few servants for an enterage :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Charter of the Emerald Magistrate

Wherein is delineated: those matters which concern the Emerald Magistrates; those duties which the Emerald Magistrate shall at all times labor to discharge; those restrictions placed upon the Magistrate to ensure honorable justice within his or her jurisdiction; and those rights and privileges give to the Magistrate to aid in the pursuit of justice and social order.

Part One: Jurisdiction

Wherein is delineated those crimes which are specifically the concern of the Emerald Magistrate and which require diligent pursuit.

Section One: Crimes Against The Emperor Any attempt to harm, insult, endanger, steal from or otherwise inconvenience the Son of Heaven is a crime deserving of the utmost attention from all Emerald Magistrates. Any similar action taken against a member of the Emperor's family shall be constituted as a gesture against the Emperor himself and as such merits the attention of the Emerald Magistrate. Similarly, any action against a direct servant of the Emperor or the Imperial Family shall also be a matter of concern for the Emerald Magistrate.

Section Two: National Crimes Crimes (including theft, murder, treason, robbery, murder, forgery, armed uprising, tax fraud and other transgression of local law) which are national in scope, either in planning or execution, are a concern for all Emerald Magistrates.

Section Three: Shadowlands Incursions Any entry into Rokugan by denizens of the Shadowlands or by those who have been corrupted by the influence of the Shadowlands, or by those who have made pacts with the sinister forces of the Shadowlands, are forbidden by law. The enforcement of this law is the duty of the Emerald Magistrates. Crimes committed within Rokugan by violators of this law also fall withing the enforcement charter of the Emerald Magistrates.

Section Four: Fugitives The capture of any criminal who has fled across city or clan territorial boundaries is a matter of concern for all Emerald Magistrates, regardless of the scope of the crime or the location of its commission. Similarly, any criminal who flees the location of his or her crime, or attempts to, falls within the operational purview of Emerald Magistrates.

Section Five: Organized Blasphemy Any meeting of more than two individuals for the express purpose of participating in blasphemous or obscene rituals is forbidden, and is a matter of concern for the Emerald Magistrates.

Section Six: Civil Disorder and General Lawlessness Any crimes or actions with result in widespread civil disorder and/or general disrespect for the law and its enforcers is within the jurisdiction of the Emerald Magistrates.

Part Two: Duties

Wherein are delineated those tasks that the Emerald Magistrate is honor-bound to perform in additon to enforcing Imperial Law.

Section One: Tax and Tariff Collection It is the duty of the office of the Emerald Magistrate to oversee the collection of the yearly Imperial Tax and to enforce tariffs upon goods being transported across clan boundaries. In the case of larger cities this duty may be delegated to tax officials operating under official charger from teh Emerald Champion. In such cases, it is still the duty of the local Emerald Magistrate(s) to audit the collections, ensure their accuracy and protect the tax collectors and the gathered taxes.

Section Two: Authorizing Travel Papers It is the duty of the Emerald Magistrate to make him- or herself available at least one day a week to sign Imperial travel documents. Such documents are required only in the following instances: for persons who intend to travel across two different clan boundaries; for persons who require an open pass to all points within the Emerald Empire; for persons whose travel papers are to remain valid for longer than one year but not more than five years; or for residents who are not native to Rokugan.

Section Three: Protection of Visiting Dignitaries Dignitaries from outside Clan boundaries may, if they wish, request that the local Emerald Magistrate provide protection against threats mundane, military and supernatural. The Emerald Champion is bound to provide protection appropriate to the threat and to the visitor's social station.

Section Four: Briefing the Emerald Champion Once per month, the Emerald Magistrate shall meet with the Emerald Champion to provide a briefing on his or her current and ongoing activities and investigations. The Emerald Champion shall also be informed about any matters of national concern.

Section Five: Notification of Non-Jurisdictional Crimes When any Emerald Magistrate becomes aware of a crime that is outside his or her jurisdiction, that Magistrate is honor bound to give a thorough briefing on the matter to whatever authority has jurisdiction over the crime in question.

Section Six: Briefing the Governor The city or regional Governor of the province in which an Emerald Magistrate is stationed may, at any time, demand an accounting of the Magistrate's current and ongoing investigations. The Emerald Magistrate is to provide a detailed accounting in no less than three days. The Governor may not demand such an accounting more than once per month.

Section Seven: Notification of Accusations If a person of samurai class, living or dead, has been accused of or implicated in a crime being investigated by the Emerald Magistrates, it is the duty of said Magistrates to inform the local family and/or clan leader of the accusation.

Part Three: Restrictions

Wherein are delineated those tasks, investigations and duties which are excluded from the obligations of the Emerald Magistrate

Section One: Incidental Law Enforcement It is not the duty of the Emerald Magistrate to provide street patrols or random policing.

Section Two: Problems of Limited Scope It is not the duty of the Emerald Magistrates to investigate crimes which are strictly a local concern

Section Three: Authorization of Blood Feuds Emerald Magistrates have no authority over the matter of blood feuds. They can neither authorize such a feud nor declare one invalid.

Section Four: Levying of Troops Emerald Magistrates have no authority to command the service of troops except as noted below in Part Four: Sections Five and Six

Section Five: Acceptance of Gifts and Monies No Emerald Magistrate shall accept gifts, favors, monies, services or special considerations in exchange for any aspect of his or her duties as magistrate.

Part Four: Rights

Wherein are delineated those special privileges, powers and rights which are given to Emerald Magistrates to enable them to better pursue their goals and duties

Section One: Right of Questioning In the case of persons of inferior social class, station or worth, an Emerald Magistrate may arrest and restrain the individual for questioning about criminal matters. The right of arrest, restraint and inquisition also applies to individuals of superior social class, worth or station who are apprehended in a criminal act by an Emerald Magistrate. Persons of higher social rank, station or value may be apprehended, imprisoned and questioned if the Emerald Magistrate has obtained a valid Order of Appearance (cf. Part, Section Three)

Section Two: Right of Sentencing If a signed confession has been notarized by an Emerald Magistrate, that Magistrate may opt to sentence the confessed criminal. This right of sentencing may be passed on to a different Emerald Magistrate, at the option of the notarizing Magistrate. Transcribed confessions are legitimate only in the case of illiterate criminals. Sentences are to be appropriate for the crime and its circumstances. Possible sentences include, but are not limited to the following: execution by beheading for samurai criminals; execution by hanging from the neck for criminals of lower class; class-appropriate executions for spouses, parents or children of criminals, cuffing for periods not to exceed three months; public beatings with rods, sticks or whipse; house arrest; or fines, the sum of which is to be remitted to the office of the Emerald Champion.

Section Three: Orders of Appearance An Emerald Magistrate may exercise rights of arrest, imprisonment and inquisition upon persons of higher social worth only upon the presentation of a valid Order of Appearance. An Order of Appearance must describe in detail the crime of which the samurai is accused, it must be dated within one month of its presentation and it must be signed by the presenting Magistrate or Magistrates. In addition to this signature, it must also have the signature of one of the following: the Emerald Champion; the city or province Governor; or the local chief magistrate. The date of an Order of Appearance must be listed as the date on which the last individidual signed it.

Section Four: Right to Prior Information It is the duty of local Governors and daimyo to inform Emerald Magistrates of large scale military or police actions within that Emerald Magistrate's jurisdiction at least one day before the action occurs.

Section Five: Right to Commandeer Troops Emerald Magistrates have the right to amass groups of troops for necessary operations, provided that they inform the local daimyo of Governor of their intentions. They may commandeer troops from local leaders if they can show demonstrable need and provide reasonable financial compensation for the troops services.

Section Six: Right of Imperial Levy Emerald Magistrates may, at any time, petition the Emerald Champion for the command of Emerald Legions. The assignment of those Legions is entirely at the discretion of the Emerald Champion. Emerald Legions have rights of actions and armament in any and all places within the Emerald Empire.

Section Seven: Right of Privy Investigation If there is a conflict of jurisdiction between an Emerald Magistrate and a local magistrate, the jurisdiction of the Emerald Magistrate takes precedence. If the Emerald Magistrate presents the local magistrate with a signed and dated Order of Privy Investigation, that magistrate must immediately cease all new investigations into the matter of contention. An Order of Privy Investigation is valid only if it fulfills the following conditions: it is dated on the day it was completed; it is signed by the Emerald Magistrate; it contains a complete description of the crime in question; and it explains, completely and reasonably, why the two investigations cannont proceed in parallel fashion.

Section Eight: Right of Travel Authorization In addition to their power to pen Imperial travel documents (defined in Part Two, Section Two), Emerald Magistrates also have the right to provide valid travel documents of more limited scope. These documents cannot be confiscated or contradicted by local magistrates for more than two days.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Ok Quick Question here. My charcters Glory is 5 (Was 6 but I took a 3 point disadvantage that lowered it to 5) My Glory shows that I would be a Commander or in Rokugani terms Shireikan. Well on Status it shows that Shireikan are Staus 6. I know Status 1 is for starting Level characters, Are we going to get any Status points to raise our status considering we are much Higher starting characters than normal, or would we just apply the status level that is the same as our Glory Level? i'm kinda confused on how this would work considering I have never started off as a 3rd level character before and I think we should get some status increase for being so high without paying for it. I'm not saying it has to be OMG high but a point or two 1 for each of the two levels sounds fair to me.

HairyHeretic

Glory and Status aren't necessarily tied that closely together. Status is political rank, Glory is personal fame. A Magistrate is status of 4 - 4.5, but their glory could change widely depending on how great their deeds, and how well they were known.

After all, if you kill the dread Oni lord, and no one sees you do it, you're not going to get any Glory for the act.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Good point. and yea thats what I just read in my book. Otherwise if they were tied that closely tougether I'd have status of 6. But still I see it as Feaseable that our Status would go up at least 1 point after all we probably would have done to achieve our third rank in our schools. It does say that  that gaining Glory often leads to an increase in Status as well.

Paladin

Also, How much Koku do we have?. I know we got Koku at starting rank, do we get more?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Paladin on June 23, 2009, 11:51:52 AM
Good point. and yea thats what I just read in my book. Otherwise if they were tied that closely tougether I'd have status of 6. But still I see it as Feaseable that our Status would go up at least 1 point after all we probably would have done to achieve our third rank in our schools. It does say that  that gaining Glory often leads to an increase in Status as well.

I would see the increase in Status as coming from a samurai being given more responsibility by their Lord, as a result of their Glory increase.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Muse, whats the current breakdown in terms of bushi / courtiers / shukenja.

You mentioned a while back hoping I'd play a shukenja. You still need that? I've no objections to doing one up if we need one.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I know he is currently asking for non-bushi and shugenja.  An actual Magistrate with investigation and courtier would probably do well.  If I'm guaging our needs correctly anyway.