News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Hemingway

I'm curious about the Game of Thrones RPG. I got a message on Steam last night saying it was available, but ... it wasn't? I don't know. I know someone, somewhere has gotten to play it already, and ... well, the critics have been merciless.

But, then, if there was ever any doubt that professional critics are full of crap, here's what one publication had to say about it. This is their justification for giving it 40/100, apparently:

QuoteIf there has ever been a grimmer, more depressing story in a game, we don't want to play it. Our heroes can find their way to four different endings, and they range in tone from "bleak and uncertain" to "horrific and hateful." Leading up to those endings, every awful thing that can possibly happen does.

Anyway. It sounds like the actual players are having fun with it. The ones, that is, that don't go into it expecting it to be a AAA title.

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on May 18, 2012, 07:18:27 AM
+1
I might have to take that back, If forgot just how cheap and unfair the very last Catwoman segment is. Grr...
I'm going to try the strategy where you keep punching him so he can't call for help, but that involves getting the last guy without getting seen or heard. Sigh...

By ME3 logic though since the last part is crap the whole game is crap. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LunarSage

Now now, the Catwoman content was laughably short, so I don't even really consider it to be a part of the game, really.  I judge it by the Batman content, which was all kinds of awesome. 

Does anyone know if the Robin content was equally short?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Sabby

Robin and Nightwing were just characters for the challenge maps xD no story mode. Though the Harley Quinn content coming up apparently has Robin gameplay in the 2 hour long campaign.

As for the Game of Thrones game... it's exactly what I thought it would be. Bland, boring, poorly made Dragon Age impersonator. Seriously, I haven't seen this level of half assedness in a while xD its just lazy.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 18, 2012, 09:48:33 AM
Robin and Nightwing were just characters for the challenge maps xD no story mode. Though the Harley Quinn content coming up apparently has Robin gameplay in the 2 hour long campaign.

As for the Game of Thrones game... it's exactly what I thought it would be. Bland, boring, poorly made Dragon Age impersonator. Seriously, I haven't seen this level of half assedness in a while xD its just lazy.
I avoid licensed titles as a rule of thumb. Which is a bit hypocritical of me because I want to publish a book, get a movie deal for said book, and release a game set in the universe of said book. (Though not a direct adaptation of the plot, that way lies perdition.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Geeklet

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 09:17:50 AM
I might have to take that back, If forgot just how cheap and unfair the very last Catwoman segment is. Grr...
I'm going to try the strategy where you keep punching him so he can't call for help, but that involves getting the last guy without getting seen or heard. Sigh...

By ME3 logic though since the last part is crap the whole game is crap. :D

If I remember correctly...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Assuming you are talking about the confrontation with Two-Face. You will NEVER get the last guy before taking him on. Enemies will keep spawning in as you take them out. You gotta try and get him somewhat isolated from the rest, and swoop in and go to town on him before the others come to help. I remember how I ended up doing it, was he was at one end of the map, I took out a guy on the other end, so all the other henchmen went over to investigate, leaving Two Face by himself.

Inkidu

Quote from: Geeklet on May 18, 2012, 01:39:46 PM
If I remember correctly...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Assuming you are talking about the confrontation with Two-Face. You will NEVER get the last guy before taking him on. Enemies will keep spawning in as you take them out. You gotta try and get him somewhat isolated from the rest, and swoop in and go to town on him before the others come to help. I remember how I ended up doing it, was he was at one end of the map, I took out a guy on the other end, so all the other henchmen went over to investigate, leaving Two Face by himself.
That's what I thought. However, if you can get to the last guy on the bridge you can just keep spamming the boss so he never calls out for help.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 10:08:33 AM
I avoid licensed titles as a rule of thumb. Which is a bit hypocritical of me because I want to publish a book, get a movie deal for said book, and release a game set in the universe of said book. (Though not a direct adaptation of the plot, that way lies perdition.)

To be fair a lot of liscened games are average and there are some pretty good ones. The best one, IMO, being King Kong. The game made after the Thor movie was also pretty good if you could get in the right headspace (and being well versed in norse mythology certainly helped me enjoy it more).

I think the problem is the same problem with bad video games to movie titles. Whoever the lead designer or director is doesnt give a damn about the property so the whole thing ends up a mess that doesnt appeal to the audience its trying to engage.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Geeklet

So, I finally got Diablo 3. I know there are haters out there, but I am thoroughly enjoying the game so far.

Sabby

Max Payne 3 has certainly improved it's standing with me ^^ I've adjusted to the (still horrible) movements (seriously, what is it with Rockstar games controlling like a badly stacked mining cart?) and now I can just appreciate the shooting. Which is fucking spectacular. And I'm loving how they handle the enemies. They're not just skin changes with new weapons, there are changes to the A.I., which makes a lot more difference then you'd think. The gang members in a slum will be typically untrained and wearing clothes, and they come flying out of cover firing blindly in packs, easy to mow down. But then we get the paramilitary units who actually stick to cover, advance on you and try to flank you, and the armour they're packing is seriously tough. I unloaded a full clip of my pistol into one point blank, and all it did was throw him up against a railing and topple over.

LadySyn

Minecraft!

On Xbox...

...Because I'm a loser.

Hemingway

Max Payne is dead to me. As he is to Remedy. I mean, other than the protagonist ( barely ), what does Max Payne 3 have in common with the other two games, in terms of theme, art and atmosphere?

Sabby

Huh? Max Payne has always been about neck beards, Hawaiian shirts, Jersey Shore, Brazilian ghettos, trance music, political intrigue and evil paramilitaries. What game were YOU playing?

Inkidu

I never got into Max Payne, with that name and the female lead's being Mona Sax I thought it was a parody of noir. Somehow, Hemingway will take umbrage with this, no doubt. :)

Anyway, I'm taking a look at Dragon's Dogma, it looks really interesting and is supposed to have a kick-ass character creator.

Brandon

Max Payne is one of those franchises that I never got into either. I remember playing the 1st one at a friends place while waiting for him to get ready to go out but it seemed pretty unremarkable. So I never looked at its sequels. Out of curiousity, whats the attraction of it? Ive only seen the trailers and for me, they dont excite me in any way

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

My own memories of the first two games are kind of hazy... though I've finished both. I remember the story was just screaming ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS! The story on the surface was pretty simple, just a good old 'nothing left to lose' revenge plot, but it had this strange sort of... I dunno how you'd describe it, especially since I really remember, but it was using the story of Ragnarok, a super drug, and a TV show that I think may have been some kind of messed up insight into Max's mind, and blended it all into this confusing mass that seemed like it was the real objective here, but just refused to show itself. Kind of like Cthulhu.

I don't really remember if it ever amounted to anything.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on May 19, 2012, 10:14:49 PM
I never got into Max Payne, with that name and the female lead's being Mona Sax I thought it was a parody of noir. Somehow, Hemingway will take umbrage with this, no doubt. :)

YES HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT.

No, the game, I think, sits somewhere between parody and dead serious. If you listen to the narrations, too, they sound serious, but if you listen to what's actually being said, they're just absurd. But they have  a clearly recognizable theme, and MP3 just isn't consistent with that.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 19, 2012, 10:48:57 PM
My own memories of the first two games are kind of hazy... though I've finished both. I remember the story was just screaming ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS! The story on the surface was pretty simple, just a good old 'nothing left to lose' revenge plot, but it had this strange sort of... I dunno how you'd describe it, especially since I really remember, but it was using the story of Ragnarok, a super drug, and a TV show that I think may have been some kind of messed up insight into Max's mind, and blended it all into this confusing mass that seemed like it was the real objective here, but just refused to show itself. Kind of like Cthulhu.

I don't really remember if it ever amounted to anything.
Oh, so all the bullet time and stuff was in Max's head so he's still lying dead after the first gunfight because he thought he could dive in slow motion, and the story is really just the dying sparks of his brain as it fades out?

I kid, I kid. :D

It actually kind of reminds me of the plot of True Crimes: Streets of LA in how oddball it seems to get.

Sabby

Actually, the bullet time...

Quote from: The WikiMax's own bullet time abilities seem to mirror these of the berserkers, Norse Viking warriors who drove themselves into such a frenzy when they entered battle that they seemed superhuman-strong, fast, untiring, and unable to feel pain (theme of Payne's necklace is a Viking longship).

And the rest...

Quote from: The WikiMost of the elements in the game are named for figures from Norse mythology.
In Max Payne, the Valkyr drug is a fictional military performance enhancer that turns its users into adrenaline-charged killers who experience hallucinatory images of death. The valkyries of Norse mythology were warrior-women who watched over battlefields, the "choosers of the slain" who took those who died with valor. In the game, Project Valhalla is the government conspiracy that developed Valkyr to enhance the combat effectiveness of U.S. soldiers and secretly tested it during the Gulf War of 1991. In Norse mythology, Valhalla was the afterlife of those selected by the valkyries: those who populated Valhalla would fight for the Norse gods in their wars. The computer network in the Valhalla base is named Yggdrasil, referring to the tree that connected the nine worlds in Norse cosmology.
The Aesir Corporation, mentioned frequently in the game and the primary source of the Valkyr drug, is named for the primary pantheon of Norse gods, the Æsir. The head of the Aesir Corporation is named Nicole Horne; in the myths, the Gjallarhorn was sounded to announce the start of Ragnarök, the Norse apocalypse, a battle between the Æsir and the giants that results in the death of many deities and the rebirth of the world (Jack Lupino's gothic nightclub named Ragna Rock is a play on the word "Ragnarök"). The great snowstorm that takes place during the events of the game is a reference to the Fimbulvetr, an epic winter that precedes Ragnarök.[6]
Alfred Woden's surname refers to Wōden, the Anglo-Saxon version of Odin, a major god of the Norse pantheon (his eyepatch also references Odin, who sacrificed his eye for wisdom and knowledge). Max meets him and the Inner Circle in the Asgard Building: Asgard is the Norse realm in which the gods live. In the game, DEA agent Alex Balder was shot by his partner B.B. In Norse mythology, Balder was killed when a sprig or arrow of mistletoe was shot or thrown into his chest, and his death was set up by Loki, god of chaos and deception, just as B.B. deceived Alex and Max.

SYMBOLISM!.wmv

Inkidu

Beat Batman: Arkham City's  New Game Plus, and I don't know if it factors, but my normal game playthrough on hard so that may be NG+ on hard.

I'm looking at going through Deus Ex: HR again.

Wolfy

Ghost Recon Future Soldier - Thank you for playing the Beta!

Tuesday....TUESDAY.....

Well, I could probably go get it midnight tomorrow.....

...but...TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inkidu

I'm looking more at Dragon's Dogma. It seems to be a Diablo clone that's bigger and more fun (I mean Diablo as in one, I'm not trying to take a jab here, earnest)

Oh, and it has a kick-ass character creator.

(Okay, that's a jab) :D

Sabby

I have Dragons Dogma and Ghost Recon downloading right now, actually. I saw Angry Joe play the demo of DD, and even if he was atrocious at it, it looked really interesting. I like the focus on grabbing and mounting larger enemies, I just hope they actually do something with it, instead of it being a one note gimmick... Like, in the demo, you could try to cripple a Griffon to bring it down and I think keep it from flying, or jump onto it and climb up, and I didn't see it happen, but I don't see a point to this if the thing can't take off while I cling for dear life.

And that applies to ALL the big boss monsters that will no doubt require some kind of Shadow of the Colossus tactics. If it's just guna stay in one place until I've wailed on it enough to start the next attack phase, then it's a pretty small gimmick to sell a game on...

Tonalberry

Has anyone given Tera a try?  It looks neat, it's gotten loads of good reviews, and it's not just another WoW clone.  I'm thinking about getting it, even though it'll mean having to split some of my time away from SW:ToR.