Literature inspired RPGs (F for M)

Started by Becca, September 19, 2014, 06:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Becca

Hi! As always, thanks for taking an interest in my request!

This particular request, though, is a bit different from my usual ones. I'm not so much craving a particular book or play, but would rather place a list of the ones which have been tempting me for some time now and seeing is anyone out there is interested in any of them.
Being a big bookworm, I have in many occasions found myself interested in playing a particular setting or character archetype as the one I was reading at the moment. I'm not looking to recreate any of the following literary works, but rather use some of its elements and creating a rpg around them.
This can be done in many different ways: Doing an close adaptation of the story, giving it our own twist; using some of the character's styles and create the rpg around their relationship, personality traits, etc; simply utilizing the setting and adapting it to a different time (for example, taking it to modern times); or gathering the elements which are interesting in the book/play/story to create a setting of our own.

A little clarification is in order: I'd rather not play a completely cannon character from any of the books in the list below, though as usual I might be persuaded to do so by the right partner :)

The relationships can be more on the vanilla side or incorporate elements of our liking, depending on our mutual tastes. Also, I'm more than happy to incorporate elements from different genres to the rpg, not just romance or dwelling on relationship dynamics: Think adventure, horror (to a degree, I'm not a fan of a great deal of it in my rpgs), drama, the sky's the limit ;)

The following list is tentative, and I'll update it whenever a new idea comes to mind, but I'll try not to specify too much since I'm more interested in creating a mutually agreed upon setting than providing one already formed.

Unfortunately, since it will be a rather lengthy list, I won't be able to start different rpgs for them (if interest partners should arise), but don't hesitate in contacting me and I'm sure we'll be able to begin a game in a foreseeable future. Also, if you do have this same craving for any other literary work not listed here, do contact me through a PM and I'll consider your idea!

-Les miserable (particularly les amis de l'abc story arc)
-Much ado about nothing (Beatrice and Benedick's kind of love/hate relationship certainly is worth a go ;) Specially craving this one )
-Romeo and Juliet
-Interview with the vampire/The Vampire Lestat/Blood and gold
-Alice in wonderland/Alice through the looking glass (aging the characters to be older than 16)
-Grimm brothers fairy tales
-Sherlock Holmes
-Pride and prejudice
-Casanova
-The picture of Dorian Grey
-The three musketeers
-Dune
-The phantom of the opera
-The stand
-Spring awakening (aging the characters to be older than 16)
-Perfume
-The portrait of Dorian Grey
-One Thousand and One Nights

If anyone's interested please don't post in this thread, but send me a PM. Thanks!