Firefly is back! Sort of...

Started by Elandra, March 20, 2015, 10:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandra

Alan Tudyk (Wash) and Nathan Fillion (Mal) have put together an amazing campaign to fun their new webisodes about science fiction show that was cancelled too soon. Alan plays the pilot who is doing the convention circuit while Nathan plays the Captain who went on to a very successful career. If you are interested in funding it..

http://igg.me/at/conman/x/10148693
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

TheGlyphstone

Galaxy Quest meets Firefly then.

CuriousEyes

I'm kind of intrigued that they seem to budgeting about ~$150,000 as the cost of an episode. Using their budget wheel graphic thing, you can almost work out how much it actually costs to create the thing (albeit a lot of people are probably doing this for reduced rates).

For some reason the costs of producing good-quality television (or web series) has always been fascinating to me. I think part of it was my firm conviction that if I should ever win a ludicrous lottery drawing ($200 million+) I would buy the rights to Firefly and raise it from the ashes.

CaptainNexus616

We are living in a new age where anyone on YouTube are capable of creating some impressive vfx vids. It won't be on par with the old show effect wise but I feel this would be a great chance for it to return.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

So funny you should mention this, I just rented Serenity from the library because the first time I saw it years ago, I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen even though all my friends loved it. I've actually seen Firefly now, so this second viewing of Serenity made more sense. I still think the acting was borderline unbearable but the overall story and everything was better than I remember.

But how is Tudyk supposed to be involved? Isn't his character dead?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

It's not an actual Firefly continuation. It's a meta-show, their characters are former TV show actors that totally coincidentally happen to have played roles identical to their Firefly characters.

Mathim

Are they really going to insult their audience like that? For shame.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on March 20, 2015, 10:44:06 PM
Are they really going to insult their audience like that? For shame.

Insult? Galaxy Quest is beloved by Star Trek fans, and it's basically using the same formula.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 20, 2015, 10:49:03 PM
Insult? Galaxy Quest is beloved by Star Trek fans, and it's basically using the same formula.

Huh? You are aware that Galaxy Quest (the movie, not the show-within-the-movie) was a satire and was not using the same names and such, which it sounds like Firefly revived is going to be. I'm just saying, you gotta respect continuity.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on March 21, 2015, 08:35:37 AM
Huh? You are aware that Galaxy Quest (the movie, not the show-within-the-movie) was a satire and was not using the same names and such, which it sounds like Firefly revived is going to be. I'm just saying, you gotta respect continuity.

Except it's not. That is what I am saying...this is a satire, like Galaxy Quest. Nathan Fillion is playing a character named Jack Moore, who was the captain of a ship on a sci-fi show called Spectrum. Tudyk is playing his friend Wray Nerely, who was the navigator on the show. Their show was canceled after one season, but became a cult classic - Moore went on to movie-star fame, while Nerely was reduced to traveling the convention circuit.

It is satire. It's a direct, and somewhat blatant, satire of Firefly and Fillion/Tudyk's own careers in the wake of it. I'm not sure how you could possibly confuse it as taking place within the Firefly universe or continuity, especially if you'd clicked on the link in the OP (which is where I got all my information from). Tudyk even explicitly describes it as "Extras meets Galaxy Quest" midway down the page.

CaptainNexus616

I hope they can get the others to make a cameo at least lol. If you look up on YouTube, the show Fillion stars in now called Castle you'll find some references in there lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2015, 10:16:44 AM
Except it's not. That is what I am saying...this is a satire, like Galaxy Quest. Nathan Fillion is playing a character named Jack Moore, who was the captain of a ship on a sci-fi show called Spectrum. Tudyk is playing his friend Wray Nerely, who was the navigator on the show. Their show was canceled after one season, but became a cult classic - Moore went on to movie-star fame, while Nerely was reduced to traveling the convention circuit.

It is satire. It's a direct, and somewhat blatant, satire of Firefly and Fillion/Tudyk's own careers in the wake of it. I'm not sure how you could possibly confuse it as taking place within the Firefly universe or continuity, especially if you'd clicked on the link in the OP (which is where I got all my information from). Tudyk even explicitly describes it as "Extras meets Galaxy Quest" midway down the page.

Meh, too lazy. I just took the inadequate information in the post at face value since I didn't care to do any further research. They better be careful or those guys who do all those awful parody movies (Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, etc.) might finally do one of those about deep space sci-fi and ruin the memory of things like Spaceballs.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on March 21, 2015, 04:29:22 PM
Meh, too lazy. I just took the inadequate information in the post at face value since I didn't care to do any further research. They better be careful or those guys who do all those awful parody movies (Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, etc.) might finally do one of those about deep space sci-fi and ruin the memory of things like Spaceballs.

...now that you mention it, I'm surprised Seltzer and Friedberg haven't made 'Space Movie' yet. Thanks, I was having a great day until you put that image in my head... :-\

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2015, 04:38:40 PM
...now that you mention it, I'm surprised Seltzer and Friedberg haven't made 'Space Movie' yet. Thanks, I was having a great day until you put that image in my head... :-\

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, they were going to do it eventually anyway. I mean, I don't get why they haven't already. I mean, Alien Vs. Predator 1 and 2, Prometheus, Interstellar, Gravity, and both Star Trek/Into Darkness, plus the announcement of Star Wars' third trilogy, they have plenty of fodder to pick through. At least if these guys beat them to it they might wait longer before doing one...

TheGlyphstone

I know. It scares me because it's so plausible. And Con Men wouldn't stop S+F, because it's not really the same thing - if anything, it could encourage them more by adding Firefly/Serenity to the list of movies they 'parody' in the conglomerate.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2015, 11:54:37 PM
I know. It scares me because it's so plausible. And Con Men wouldn't stop S+F, because it's not really the same thing - if anything, it could encourage them more by adding Firefly/Serenity to the list of movies they 'parody' in the conglomerate.

Yeah, I'd have said if they were going to do Space Movie/Sci-Fi Movie then F + S would be a little too old for them to draw from.