Interest Check: Over the Edge [BON]

Started by MadPanda, June 28, 2008, 04:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Ages and ages ago, I ran a game here using one of my favorite games of all time--a little gem called Over the Edge.

OtE is a very, very strange game.  Take Wild Palms, Twin Peaks, every episode of the Twilight Zone you've ever seen, Dark City, The Naked Lunch, Blade Runner, and Pulp Fiction.  Put them in an industrial strength blender.  Frappe for thirty seconds.  Pour the resulting mixture into a mythical island in the Mediterranean.

(Here's a link to part of that earlier game, which summarizes character generation and gives a few bits of inspirational data along with the first group of PCs, sort of: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5902.0)

Now have a look at the wiki entry for this fun little show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_Notice_%28TV_series%29

Over the Edge and Burn Notice are like chocolate and peanut butter--an easy and fun combination!  Take a bunch of random PCs, some of whom may be spies, and dump them on the weirdest island on Earth.  The series practically writes itself.

But one of the problems with any group game, especially online, is that things come to a dead stop when someone goes on vacation, or if their work schedule changes, or gets busy.  And with OtE, so many potential ideas don't get followed because of the tendency of parties to stay together.

So here's what I have in mind: a series of connected one-shots where each PC gets their own non-intersecting thread within an overarching plot.  Sort of like what might happen if Fiona and Sam got their own series to run alongside Michael's narrative.  :)

Discuss!  Ask questions!  Plot mischief and mayhem!
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

JadeCore

Quote from: MadPanda on June 28, 2008, 04:45:38 PM
Discuss!  Ask questions!  Plot mischief and mayhem!

What about gunpowder, treason, and plot?

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Okay, another possibility that's bothering me and won't let go of my furry little brain...

Grand Theft Jitney.

Same idea--lone person stranded on the island, doing the GTA thing.  Of course, without guns this may stray a bit from the inspirational material, but this means that the other thugs won't be shooting back, either.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

The bastards!

During my staycation, USA decided to run a Burn Notice marathon...again.  And so I'm looking at this one with a jaded eye and itching dice once more.  Throw in a little bit of Ocean's Eleven (or Twelve, or Thirteen) and maybe a touch of Leverage, and things look even more fun.

So, to add a bit more structure...

PCs should be spies of some sort, or criminals, or both.  Which nation or organization they served, and how they got to the island, is up to the player...but the common element should be that all characters are currently burned, black-listed, on the lam, or otherwise facing early retirement with extreme prejudice.

We'll just skip past the usual madness with the Terminal and start with a meeting in Sarah's Teahouse, the most discrete restaurant on Al Amarja.   :) 

And for one modest suggestion about how things might go from a player's perspective, here's the start of another game meant to be along the same lines:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11298.0

In Memory of Bishrook