What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 11, 2016, 05:57:23 PM
Leaked document says 2,000 men allegedly assaulted 1,200 German women on New Year’s Eve
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/10/leaked-document-says-2000-men-allegedly-assaulted-1200-german-women-on-new-years-eve/

Absolutely revolting figures; let's hope this doesn't happen again. But given how politicians these days pussy-foot around any decision that requires firm action, I'm afraid it might again...
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 11, 2016, 05:57:23 PM
Leaked document says 2,000 men allegedly assaulted 1,200 German women on New Year’s Eve
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/10/leaked-document-says-2000-men-allegedly-assaulted-1200-german-women-on-new-years-eve/
This has been a topic of public debate in Germany all year, and (as far as I have followed the debate and the legal questions involved) the reaction from lawmakers has been one I find rather popularistic and ignorant of the already existing laws. The new laws now being put on the books have several shortcomings and strike me as not workable in at least some sections. The whole public debate here has plaid out as if a lot of what happened during the New Year's night wasn't criminal under existing laws, completely ignoring the fact that the problem is not the current laws, but rather catching the perpetrators and proving their guilt. The new laws will not change that one little bit and strike me as an overreaction by politicians who don't want to look "soft on crime".
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 12, 2016, 09:49:37 AM
This has been a topic of public debate in Germany all year, and (as far as I have followed the debate and the legal questions involved) the reaction from lawmakers has been one I find rather popularistic and ignorant of the already existing laws. The new laws now being put on the books have several shortcomings and strike me as not workable in at least some sections. The whole public debate here has plaid out as if a lot of what happened during the New Year's night wasn't criminal under existing laws, completely ignoring the fact that the problem is not the current laws, but rather catching the perpetrators and proving their guilt. The new laws will not change that one little bit and strike me as an overreaction by politicians who don't want to look "soft on crime".

Indeed, as far as I know, Germany's laws are not particularly lax on this type of thing. Some say officials are turning a blind eye to it on purpose, so as not to ruffle feathers they want to leave as is. I don't know how much stock can be placed in that and how much of that is simply anti-government, conspiracy theories, but there you go. Wouldn't surprise me either way it goes.

Lustful Bride

Back Lives Matter protesters encounter a counter (i'm asuming they were pro police but they never showed what their stance was) protest and the two sides met in the middle and embraced one another before forming a larger group together.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/07/11/one-dallas-protesters-come-together-nccorig.cnn

And that right there, that is the real America.  ;D

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 12, 2016, 10:02:39 AM
Back Lives Matter protesters encounter a counter (i'm asuming they were pro police but they never showed what their stance was) protest and the two sides met in the middle and embraced one another before forming a larger group together.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/07/11/one-dallas-protesters-come-together-nccorig.cnn

And that right there, that is the real America.  ;D

Completely unrelated but I had an ad for War Thunder right before the video. *pulls at his collar* Awkward.

Also, that one guy was a bit too excited to have "everybody get it in"...

In all seriousness though, this is a nice video that I hope people take to heart.

Lustful Bride

Zakharra

Eh. China will ignore it and keep pushing their 'territorial claims' in the SCS.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Zakharra on July 12, 2016, 12:08:29 PM
Eh. China will ignore it and keep pushing their 'territorial claims' in the SCS.

Indeed, I highly doubt China will care in the slightest. Had they won the case, they'd treat it as something legitimate. But since they didn't, they will discredit the whole affair and just do as they see fit. Honestly, in south-east Asia, whose going to stop them?

Lilias

Donald and Hobbes is gaining traction. I suppose it can help tone down some homicidal tendencies...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

TheGlyphstone

But I LIKE Calvin+Hobbes, I don't want to see it defiled like that.

Lustful Bride

Holocaust Museum now asking people to stop playing Pokémon Go inside of the museum.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/holocaust-museum-to-visitors-please-stop-catching-pokemon-here/ar-BBufM89?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Sounds reasonable to me.

Also poison Gas type pokemon inside of the museum is unintentionally horrible....>_>

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 12, 2016, 05:11:50 PM
But I LIKE Calvin+Hobbes, I don't want to see it defiled like that.
I thought the one with the wall was cute and spot on. :D

TheGlyphstone

But they don't, Calvin is way too introspective and self-aware.

Beguile's Mistress

Trump associated with anything sullies it in some way.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 12, 2016, 08:08:48 PM
But they don't, Calvin is way too introspective and self-aware.

Sometimes, other times less so. He locked a girl in his closet because she was a girl, decided to run away from home when he thought he had damaged his parents care and couldn't understand what he had done wrong when he spent 45 minutes on the first question of a math test (in which he surmised 4 + 5 = 5 as he imagined the two numbers as planets and himself an astronaut launching them into each other), and complained to Hobbes that his teacher had set him an unfair deadline for a project 2 weeks away because he was only going to start it the night before it was due. The writer is certainly too introspective and self-aware, but his child character isn't, there's a lot of variance in Calvin's maturity.

Cassandra LeMay

Anglican church in Canada allows same-sex marriages after a recount of an initial defeat of the motion by a single vote.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 12, 2016, 06:07:55 PM
Holocaust Museum now asking people to stop playing Pokémon Go inside of the museum.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/holocaust-museum-to-visitors-please-stop-catching-pokemon-here/ar-BBufM89?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Sounds reasonable to me.

Also poison Gas type pokemon inside of the museum is unintentionally horrible....>_>

It's reasonable for anyone to ask people to stop playing that annoyingly gimmicky fad...

Avis habilis

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Avis habilis on July 13, 2016, 08:32:36 AM
Emperor Akihito of Japan is considering abdicating. Didn't see that one coming.

Indeed, but from the sound of it, his age might be catching up with him more and more. Given he's over eighty though, he's had quite the run. I wonder what the public reaction to it will be should this get confirmed and officially announced.

Lustful Bride

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but someone has to.

dozens injured/dead (numbers are still unconfirmed) as a truck plows right into a crowd of people.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/truck-plows-into-crowd-in-nice-france-many-dead-paper/ar-BBulpVJ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Valerian

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lustful Bride

Car Bomb went off in Nevada but it seems only the bombmaker himself was killed in the detonation and only one civilian was injured.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/car-bomb-blast-kills-suspect-in-eastern-nevada-town/ar-BBulpz0?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Details unknown and investigation pending.

Lustful Bride

Truck Attacker Update:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/truck-attacker-kills-at-least-75-in-nice-bastille-day-crowd/ar-BBulpVJ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Truck driver was killed by police. They found a stashe of weapons and a cache of grenades inside of his truck.

God bless those cops. They managed to keep a very bad situation from turning into a slaughter.