Flash games (some recommendations of mine, and looking for others as well)

Started by Teo Torriatte, October 12, 2012, 12:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Torriatte

Does anyone else here waste way too much time playing these?

Here are some of my favorites... I can post links if anyone wants them, but they should be easy to search out and I don't want to  look like I am advertising one flash game site over any of the others.

Fancy Pants Adventure series

There are three games in this run and jump platformer series(so far?) and each one is better than the last. The second one is leaps and bounds better than the first, while FPA3 is more of an incremental improvement, but still raises the bar for flash based platformers.

Talesworth Adventure: the Lost Artifacts

This is a really awesome puzzle game, where you use various gates and other objects to influence the path the hero takes through various mazes. Lost Artifacts is a sequel as well, but its so much better than the first game, imo, that I just mentioned this one.

Knightfall

This is the first game in a series(the third of which is commercial  :P) of puzzle games, in which the object is to rotate the board and then click on groups of like-colored blocks to make them disappear and let your knight fall around, kill stuff and collect the key, then make it to the exit. I vastly prefer the first game, as you can only click on matches of three or more, wherein the second and third games, you can click on one or two but it costs more action points. The first one just feels, to me, like a purer puzzle game because of the limitation.

Vertical Drop Heroes

This one is also kind of puzzlish, but more action oriented as well. I love this guy's art style, and the variety of classes you can play as is great, too. You pick them up as you fall down the level, you can switch from class to class, each with different abilities, or get bonuses by picking up the same class multiple times in a row.

Super Samurai Sweeper

Made by the same guy that made VDH, once again with that wonderful art style, but this game is a take on Minesweeper, but you are samurais fighting the forces of evil daimyos. A wonderful combination of luck, skill, planning and upgrading, its so much more than just a minesweeper clone.

Jade Wolf 1 and 2

I freaking love these games. It's like Sonic, but you play as a wolf. Smooth animations(not as smooth as FPA but pretty nice in their own right), a wonderful aesthetic and a sense of wonder and adventure that is so rare even in commercial games make these two games true joys to play.

Ragdoll Volleyball

Just a fun time waster type game(aren't all games, though, really?), where you play volleyball from a side perspective, made hilarious and frustrating at times by the way in which your player is manipulated like a ragdoll. This is one of those types of games where you can get in lots of crazy situations just playing around with the physics of the game, and I love games like that.

Ok that's it for now, I might add some more later, and if anyone else has some flash games they would like to recommend, please feel free to post them here.  :-)

Oniya

In the tower defense genre, I can not say enough about GemCraft.  I actually played these in the reverse order of their programming (starting with GC:Labyrinth, then getting the 'back story' with GC:0 and GC:1) but other than the quirk of going from the most advanced to the least, I enjoyed all of them way too much.  GC:1 and GC:0 are completely free, GC:Labyrinth has some premium content, but can be enjoyed fully without it (and the premium content is only $5.)

The thing about GemCraft is that there's an actual story behind the TD aspect.  There's a reason that the enemy is showing up, and you have to find out what it is.  You are on a quest and the forces of evil are on the march!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aleph

Rebuild and Rebuild 2 are my current favorites on Kongregate.com. The Infectionator series is pretty fun too.

Aleph

Bloons 5 is up and about as well, i quite like that too though that style of game isn't quite my thing.

Koren

Quote from: Aleph on October 14, 2012, 03:12:59 AM
Bloons 5 is up and about as well, i quite like that too though that style of game isn't quite my thing.

I dabbled in bloons five a bit, but I really hate the upgrades system that it uses and all that. I like number four better by far. :)

Except when you end up crashing it, which i just did.... damn

Oniya

Just discovered a little Zelda-style RPG called 'Legend of Pandora' - once you get your head around the controls (WASD instead of arrow keys), and adjust your screen size (I had to turn off most of my toolbars to see the whole display), it's a rather fun game.  It all starts with a missing newspaper, and before long, you're hacking up zombies and breaking curses.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Frozen Flame

Tower of Heaven is pretty fun. It looks like an old Gameboy game. It's rather frustrating at first, but the premise is intriguing--in order to win, you have to ascend God's tower to try and get to heaven. If you do something "wrong" like walk left, or touch golden blocks, you get smited... or smote, or whatever. The soundtrack is killer too, if you like 8 bit-style chiptuning.

Reader187

I kinda like launch games, like "Into Space 2"
You have  a basic rocket which you need to upgrade to achieve greater heights and eventually enter space and get to the moon!

but at the moment I'm playing "Red Ball 4" where you are a red ball :)

Reader

Koren

Desktop tower defence from Armor games is also a good one, and there is a lot of modes as well to be able to draw out the play time ande everything

Grakor

I've always been a fan of RPGs, so perhaps my favorite flash game out right now is the "Monsters' Den" games, especially the latest one, "Monsters' Den Chronicles." It's something of a throw-back to old-school RPGs while still being a little flash game: make a party of heroes and go explore a dungeon with turn-based battles. Very nifty and surprisingly strategic at points.

If you don't mind a little parody in your life, the "Mardek RPG" series is a good one. An affectionate parody of JRPG games and the tropes therein, but it's really good and more in-depth than you might think from the premise.

Lux12

Ever play the Pandemic series? It's a strategy flash game where you play a disease and try to infect the entire world.I don't how many times I played that game.

NotoriusBEN

I remember pandemic. I always got frustrated because Madagascar would always always close it's borders just in time.

Lux12

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on November 17, 2012, 01:08:14 AM
I remember pandemic. I always got frustrated because Madagascar would always always close it's borders just in time.
It's always them, Greenland, and occasionally Cuba for me.

Delirium

Clarence's Big Chance is literally amazeballs. It's very much fashioned after an NES-style platformer, likely taking hints from the original Mario series

Slywyn

I enjoy Creeper World immensely.

Creeper World 2 is... different than the first, but no less fun.

It's only 15$ for both of them, too(Though you can find all sorts of demos littering the net that are free and usually have 10-15 levels).
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Teo Torriatte

Thank you, Sly!  :D I should check those out. And all the other stuff people have been mentioning as well.

Another game came out recently, it's one of those "so simple and stupid it's crazy fun" type of games.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/oivoi/wrestle-jump

Just remember, you are the blue guy. I played the first five or so matches thinking I was the black one, and wondering A)why his legs weren't moving in time with my key presses, and B)given A, why I was still winning.

TheKnifeWon