Darkest Nights (Modern Supernatural Horror) ~ STILL RECRUITING!

Started by Bloodied Porcelain, June 02, 2012, 02:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodied Porcelain

The darkest nights in centuries have fallen on the city of New Haven...

Darkest Nights is a dark, modern horror game that focuses on storytelling above all. We are not here to make a game choc-full of combat (though it may happen on occasion), nor are we here to play out a bumping, grinding sex scene every 10 posts (though sex will of course be a factor). The story is set in and around the city of New Haven, one of the hubs for supernatural living and activity on the east coast. With a myriad of races available for play, players chose what race and/or faction they belong to and what their character’s goals are before setting out to accomplish the task. Will you play a witch determined to be the head of the most powerful coven in the city? A vampire planning a hostile takeover of the throne? Or perhaps you will be a shifter just trying to survive? With political mind games, love affairs, and the general day-to-day of supernatural entities on the line, anything can happen!

Information of note:

• The following races are available for play: Vampire, Were, Shifter, Witch, Mage, Sidhe
  • Combat is based on a logic system. We're not using dice. Because this is a storyline heavy RP, players are expected to work out the details of a fight before RPing it out.
  • No one's character can be killed without their permission except by a GM. You will be warned if your character will potentially be killed off
  • Most of the storyline information provided is being taken from a series of novels I am writing. Please have the respect to NOT use any of it outside this game
  • In order to not directly copy everything from my books, I am heavily borrowing from World of Darkness for vampires and their abilities.
  • I may be willing to work other races in to the setting upon request, however the following races are strictly forbidden: Dragons/Half Dragons, Angels, and Demons
  • As the GM, I will occasionally be putting certain plotlines and arcs in to play for people to respond to and work in to their individual RPs. However, this will not always happen and players are expected to drive their own storylines.
  • Major positions of power in society will be held by NPCs initially, so as to keep things fair. You want to eventually be on the council? Run a coven? Be the Prince? Earn it both IC and OOC
  • OOC drama will not be tolerated in any form.
  • As this is a storyline based RP, good grammar, punctuation, spelling, and post length are expected. Even if your character isn't physically doing much, there is plenty going on around them. React to it. A reasonable post length in most cases should be a minimum of 400 words.

So... interested?

You can find the primary info/directory/rules thread here
OOC is here

UPDATE: I have gotten multiple requests to allow people to bring in some mass murderer or serial killer... Please, guys, lets remember this is a political game. Not a "who dun it" or combat-centric setting. I'm not going to allow you to bring in a character who spends most of their time killing off NPCs and throwing the supernatural world in to a tizzy. Especially not this early in the game. So remember... be realistic with your character choices. :)

**NOTE**: Please do not waste my time. I don't mind answering questions till I'm blue in the face. I know there is a lot of info to take in for this game, so I'm totally okay with helping you along in understanding things. But do not submit a character sheet and get mad if I find something in it that could be problematic. I'm not trying to upset you, and believe me I'm not singling you out by any means (almost every character in the game has had one or two things I've questioned before they were approved). If you cannot take any kind of questions or criticisms or minor shifts to your character once you've made the CS, please do not bother applying.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

TheHangedOne

I am interested, most likely as a Sidhe. Though, of course, I am curious about details. You mentioned borrowing a lot of Vampire powers from World of Darkness, but what about the other creatures? Will things be consistent? Or will it be more like different werewolf players playing out different types of werewolves based off of different mythologies?

If I want to play a Brownie, for instance, should I be sticking strictly to the old, hard core, Scottish interpretation, or can I just create a household spirit and call it a Brownie?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Kokaine

Oooh... very nice. Count me interested. I'd likely play a vampire, though I will need to take a look at the WoD abilities.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Bloodied Porcelain

I have worked out set rules for each of the races, though brownies wouldn't work in this setting. The way fae have been designed for this story, Sidhe are really the only ones strong enough to exist on the mortal plane for more than an hour or two at a time. If someone wants to play a race not listed, they will need to PM me the race, any details they have on it, and they will, of course, have to accept that as the one running the game, I will make adjustments as needed so that the race isn't overpowered, can actually exist, etc. As of right now, I have abilities listed for various types of weres, so that werewolves are not the only ones available. There is a good bit of reading to get started in the game, though I've worked out a "guide" so to speak, which will point you to exactly what you need to read and the order to read it in to cut down on confusion. :)

And a note: the WoD abilities have been tweaked for the game, just as there are some vampire "clans" that were in WoD but do not exist in this storyline for one reason or another.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Love And Submission

Well I'm interested , I'm a sucker for the  occult but what about tricksters?  Like Reynard The Fox or Puck?

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

TheHangedOne

Makes sense, and I'm glad to hear that, bloodiedporcelain. I will be eagerly awaiting to see what you have to post about the Sidhe, as I have always been quite fond of the Fair Folk, and playing them.

Though, barring that, I may end up being some sort of hedge wizard. We'll see.
Check out my poet tree!

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: DTW on June 02, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
Well I'm interested , I'm a sucker for the  occult but what about tricksters?  Like Reynard The Fox or Puck?

The term "trickster" isn't something I'd call a race... Most types of fae as a whole tend to be on the mischevious side, or atleast have fae who are mischevious amongst them. There could quite easily be a sidhe who behaves in such a way, though in many instances he'd be the "odd man out" so to speak. Not unheard of, but certainly uncommon in his mannerisms and personality type. Sidhe especially have the ability to be a little bit more customized than the other races, as every sidhe gets to have one ability called a "hand of power" that is uniquely their own. The player behind the character will get to design said power and provided that it is approved, they get to use it and no other player in the game will be able to use it as well without permission and a very good explanation for how they both got it.

Demi

Oooooh . . . I've got a lovely little female werewolf running about in my head. ;)
Updated 11/26/2017!
Attempting to make a return from hiatus.
Current Games

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Demi on June 02, 2012, 03:27:36 PM
Oooooh . . . I've got a lovely little female werewolf running about in my head. ;)

*grins at Demi and cuddles her* Not surprising, my dear. ;)

AribethAmkiir

I'm interested.  Would Virtual Adepts work for a Mage character in this game?

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 02, 2012, 04:05:43 PM
I'm interested.  Would Virtual Adepts work for a Mage character in this game?

No, primarily because I'm not open to accepting anything that could have a direct influence on the way life/the world/etc works, which is why I don't accept Demons or Angels, because they are, to put it simply, a confirmation of spiritual belief systems, which this setting leaves very much open, just as it is IRL. I'm working on a post for another game atm but as soon as it's done, since we have interest, I will start getting an info thread put together so people can have a look at what's available and how the current races work. :)

Bloodied Porcelain

Updated the first post to include a link to the primary info thread. It's a WIP, but keep stopping by.

Elias

I would love to get a mage into my rps >.< So I am in

TheHangedOne

I love the world you've created, bloodiedporcelain, and am definitely eager to be a part of it. I do have a question, though, about the Fae.

Will drinking Mab's Ambrosia help sustain them in the mortal world? How long, exactly, can they go before they become literally "home sick"?  How long do they need to be there before they can return to the mortal world?
Check out my poet tree!

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Elias on June 02, 2012, 05:42:43 PM
I would love to get a mage into my rps >.< So I am in

Happy to have you! The mages are one of the more complicated races, and harder to play, but I've run this before and those who did take on the challenge LOVED them. I look forward to seeing what you bring to the table. :)

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 02, 2012, 05:42:55 PM
I love the world you've created, bloodiedporcelain, and am definitely eager to be a part of it. I do have a question, though, about the Fae.

Will drinking Mab's Ambrosia help sustain them in the mortal world? How long, exactly, can they go before they become literally "home sick"?  How long do they need to be there before they can return to the mortal world?

Mab's Ambrosia will help to some degree, but not a whole lot. Your average Sidhe, if they are not actively using magic outside of glamour which requires almost no thought or power output from them, can last one to two weeks. There is a portal leading to the fae realm in the city, though, so even if they have to return regularly, it's not likely there would be many problems. As for how long they have to stay, that depends on how drained they are when they get there. If they're just going for a basic recharge after being on the mortal plane for a few days and not using much magic, it's safe to say they'll be fine in a few hours to a day. If they're near to fading away by the time they return to faerie, then it would take several days to a week.

Elias

Question about the mage, is it individual or uniform, like does magic have rules all the families and cabals follow or does each magician wield magic individually

TheHangedOne

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.  :-)

How powerful should a "Hand of Power" be, and, I imagine, that an ace card like that would be highly draining?
Check out my poet tree!

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Elias on June 02, 2012, 05:57:09 PM
Question about the mage, is it individual or uniform, like does magic have rules all the families and cabals follow or does each magician wield magic individually

That's why mages are so complicated, LOL. Their magic is by far the most "creative", in that players will mostly be coming up with their own spells and how the mage casts them. However, there are various schools of magic, and a mage will have one primary school that he was born in to, and two secondary schools that he studied as well. The primary will obviously be the most powerful, secondary following, and all other schools he will have only a basic knowledge of. Mages also rely heavily upon totems, items, potions, etc to cast, which is the primary thing that sets them apart from witches, who only rarely use magical items. A mage's magic is drawn from magic items and their own souls, while a witch draws her power from nature (which in turn limits them to only using the most "pure" of magics rooted in nature itself)

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 02, 2012, 05:58:39 PM
Thank you, I will keep that in mind.  :-)

How powerful should a "Hand of Power" be, and, I imagine, that an ace card like that would be highly draining?

A hand of power is, as a rule, VERY powerful, but, as you pointed out, also highly draining. If you use it, you can bet that you're going to need to get to the portal ASAP because you wont last more than a few hours afterward if you don't use -any- magic whatsoever.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Elias

By schools are you referring to Mage the Ascension and there take on it so like your primary is Matter and your secondaries are force and Prime?

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Elias on June 02, 2012, 06:10:51 PM
By schools are you referring to Mage the Ascension and there take on it so like your primary is Matter and your secondaries are force and Prime?

No, I've designed the schools myself, and am not pulling anything but a few random terms from M:tA. I will be working on race-specific info shortly which will give you a better idea of how mages work.

Bloodied Porcelain

I've developed a lot more on the primary info thread, and we now also have an OOC thread, which at this time I'd request anyone who is definitely wanting to join go there and read the first post.

Elias

Ellipsis

So...this is awesome.

I'm torn between Were, Shifter, or Witch. Once the character sheets are up, hopefully I'll have come to a decision.  :-[

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Ellipsis on June 02, 2012, 07:19:06 PM
So...this is awesome.

I'm torn between Were, Shifter, or Witch. Once the character sheets are up, hopefully I'll have come to a decision.  :-[

Working on the race-specific character sheets, but I REALLY need people to confirm that they want to play in the OOC thread, because I can't start working on race-specific threads until I know how many people are joining because of the thread # limit rule.