Remake of The Prisoner on AMC

Started by Oniya, October 16, 2009, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Eric28

Hmmm looks interesting! Thanks for that! *S*
You're a mountain that I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view.

My On's and Off's

A&A

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Oniya on October 16, 2009, 12:35:54 AM
And it's got Ian McKellan as Number 2

*swoons*

Seriously though, I hope this is done well. The original is really going to be difficult to match. They will easily have better effects and to some extent visuals, but the writing is going to have to really work to keep up. I am hopeful though.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Spookie Monster

Thanks, Oniya!  Although I had heard about this, I'd totally lost track of it.  I'm afraid that I don't have cable, but I hope to be seeing it eventually!

Spel

The Prisoner I love...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Oniya

I just happened to catch another one of the preview/commercials for it.

They kept ROVER!

Rover appears to have taken steroids, but it's still ROVER!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Amberghylles

It wouldn't be the Prisoner without Rover, now would it?

Paradox

I watched a good portion of the Prisoner series when I was a wee lad; the only thing I remembered into adulthood was Rover. I picked up the entire series, compliments of A&E DVDs, and watched it last year. My god, that's a good show. I suspect the re-make won't come close to matching it, but I hope it breaks new ground and is good in its own right. Far too many people will probably say "it's not like the original!" Well DUH, a few decades have passed; of course it won't be completely faithful to the original. There's new technology, new political and societal context, all sorts of things to take into consideration that will make it different than the first one.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

There's enough different that it looks able to stand on its own (The Village isn't a seaside resort in northern Wales for one thing).  It still seems to have a nice amount of creepy paranoia and surrealism to satisfy those of us who remember the penny-farthings.

Rover, and the essential line 'I am not a number!  I am a free man!' give this fan of the old series plenty of warm fuzzies.

Will

Quote from: Ziggy Speldust on October 22, 2009, 07:57:08 PM
Thanks, Oniya!  Although I had heard about this, I'd totally lost track of it.  I'm afraid that I don't have cable, but I hope to be seeing it eventually!

Spel

The Prisoner I love...

Subtle.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Paradox

I just saw a commercial for this for the first time.

I didn't realize it was only going to be a mini-series, but either way-- I want to see more!

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker