News:

Main Menu

Teen Titans, Go!

Started by Scribbles, June 23, 2014, 05:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbles

This is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I stumbled upon the show completely by luck and while it's not the sort of series you'd watch religiously, it makes for a great supplement for those times you just need to sit back, relax and have a laugh.

Unfortunately, most of my friends have dismissed it while those who are more into the comic-genre have expressed their distaste as it apparently replaced a similar but more serious "Teen Titan" series. I never saw the show so I can't really comment. Honestly, I feel its style bears some resemblance to the new My Little Pony so I'm surprised that it didn't gain as much traction, especially seeing as it tapped into a much bigger fandom.

Critics aside, the series follows the often silly exploits of the Teen Titans, focusing more on the day-to-day than their battles against evil.

Personally, I'm loving the Beast Boy and Cyborg bromance as well as the ever-indifferent Raven, who'll share the odd smile on the sly. Star Fire and Robin are also adorable, in their own ways.

I need to emphasize that I'm not really interested in hearing any comments which bash the series. I can't really stop you but I'm asking as a courtesy as I've pretty much heard it all. I'm just curious to see if anyone here shares my love for this charming but woefully underappreciated show. I also wouldn't mind hearing opinions on the cancelled Teen Titans, is it worth looking into?

Most importantly, I'm hoping to get across a single undeniable fact, one which I feel leaves absolutely no room for argument. And that is, burgers are superior to burritos, I'll let Cyborg do the explaining!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq259zC3pdI
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Scribbles

Waaaaaffflllessss! *Jazz Hands*
AA and OO

Inkidu

The show was better than I thought it'd be. :3

Anytime Robin goes off the deep end, which is all the time, is particularly priceless.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Scribbles

I love Robin's little freak-outs! More often than not, they seem to involve Star Fire...

I just learned today that the show does have some continuity. There was actually an episode which ended on a pretty sad note. It really made me feel bad for Raven.
AA and OO

MiraMirror

I think the main reason people have a tendency to dislike Teen Titans, Go! is because the original Teen Titans shown on Cartoon Network was just that good.  It had partial continuity, it introduced the characters, had relevant problems for them that didn't seem forced, the animation was nice, and you actually learned a good bit about the various heroes/heroines along the way. However, CN took it off the air, and eventually replaced it with TTG. TTG isn't bad, but I think there's a lot of people who would've preferred just having Teen Titans back.
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Chris Brady

ThatOneShrroth nails the reason a lot of people don't like Go.  Not to mention that to some, (like my friends and I) Go seems to be really forced in its humour.  The original Teen Titans had quite a few silly episodes, the most serious ones tended to be the ones that focused on Robin specifically, like The Apprentice 1&2, or a couple of the Raven ones, especially the three parter.  But there was also a lot of humour in the episodes anyway.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

I've just started renting the original Teen Titans seasons from the library; I think based on Scribbles' recommendation I might give Go a chance once I finish the 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons of the original series. Even if the continuities don't overlap, I want to get the stuff with a long-running plot out of the way before the lighthearted stuff.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

scribus1000

Go is not bad at all--I would say it had some big shoes to fill. I loved the original series, and while Go wasn't as appealing to me, I still liked the fact that all the characters came back for a second run.

Also, the literal bird robin(bird) that got superpowers needs to come back, I cracked up whenever he appeared in that one episode.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RPs.
My Ons & Offs (Updated 6/3/2022) and Ideas are here.

The Peak Elliquiy Experience™:
Quote from: roulette on March 15, 2014, 06:59:18 PM"What? Ewww... Well, maybe... actually." -adds to own O&Os-

Mathim

I was bummed when the original series did end, I thought it had lots of potential. I just didn't cotton immediately to the idea of the whole format of the show changing when Go was announced, but I think if I am just a bit better informed about what to expect, I'll be able to appreciate it more.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Shjade

For what it is, Teen Titans, Go! isn't bad. It's not really a full-length show most of the time; it's a bit more like Dexter's Lab and similar cartoons where an "episode" is usually 2 or 3 shorter stories put together with commercial breaks in between, and for bite-size bits of entertainment it does pretty well. Sometimes.

It's not so much for me personally because, well, I just dislike how it mangles the characterization established for the Titans in the previous series, for one. For two, it's just sorta...strange in ways I don't understand at times. For instance, the episode in which Raven becomes Lady Legasus after people realize she has legs.

... What? She wears a freaking leotard 100% of the time. Her legs have always been highly visible. I just. I don't. What?

tl;dr - Character discontinuity kinda ruins it for me, which is a shame as it looks like it'd be pretty entertaining if I could enjoy it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Mathim

I thought the topic creator didn't want any bashing?

Anyway, I just watched the video in the first post and it sounds like, to my ears at least, only Robin retained his voice actor from the previous series (he's got a pretty distinct voice). Am I wrong or did the others get replaced? And does Cyborg almost have a more robotic way of speaking now?

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on June 23, 2014, 05:11:03 PM
I thought the topic creator didn't want any bashing?

Anyway, I just watched the video in the first post and it sounds like, to my ears at least, only Robin retained his voice actor from the previous series (he's got a pretty distinct voice). Am I wrong or did the others get replaced? And does Cyborg almost have a more robotic way of speaking now?
Nope. All VO actors from Teen Titans reprized their roles for Go!

Including not only the Titans but Terra and the speaking members of the Hive including their big bad.

Sjade: I think that was a joke for Go! Where her design and humor lends itself to her not showing her legs.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on June 23, 2014, 05:16:31 PM
Shjade*: I think that was a joke for Go! Where her design and humor lends itself to her not showing her legs.

Yeah...but it makes no sense. They're clearly post-main-series continuity judging by the character cameos and references, yet they all somehow forgot having been around Raven's bare legs for all that time? How? Why? O.o
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on June 23, 2014, 05:59:06 PM
Yeah...but it makes no sense. They're clearly post-main-series continuity judging by the character cameos and references, yet they all somehow forgot having been around Raven's bare legs for all that time? How? Why? O.o
Might be looking a little too closely into it, brah. :\

GanonDwarf

I actually like this show more than Teen Titans. I never really got into it as much as everyone else, I mean sure I liked it and everything. But it wasn't my cup of tea. Teen Titans go is funny, since it seems to make fun of the Original in a sense. (Well it is a parody) I dunno, it just amusing me.

Now if they ever made a Young Justice GO!, then I'd have some problems.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Mathim

Quote from: dwarfvader on June 23, 2014, 09:32:52 PM
I actually like this show more than Teen Titans. I never really got into it as much as everyone else, I mean sure I liked it and everything. But it wasn't my cup of tea. Teen Titans go is funny, since it seems to make fun of the Original in a sense. (Well it is a parody) I dunno, it just amusing me.

Now if they ever made a Young Justice GO!, then I'd have some problems.

Because Young Justice was a more overtly serial kind of thing where one episode has more impact on the rest of the series, whereas the original TT was virtually completely self-contained during most episodes?

GanonDwarf

Pretty much that. And plus I just like Young Justice a lot more than Teen Titans.

Really wish they would put the second season on Netflix.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Scribbles

I've been dying to see Young Justice ever since I got a glimpse of smexified Superboy the compelling story and wide variety of characters!

I'd definitely like to hear if it's worth grabbing or if it ends on a massive cliff-hanger thanks to another abrupt cancellation. I really don't enjoy diving too deeply into a cancelled series as I find it just leaves you feeling empty inside when it smacks into that inevitable unfulfilling end.

Oh and while 'courtesy' seems to have little effect, I'm going to try again to ask that we don't bash any shows, no matter how much you might hate them.
AA and OO

Chris Brady

Quote from: dwarfvader on June 24, 2014, 05:15:32 PM
Pretty much that. And plus I just like Young Justice a lot more than Teen Titans.

Really wish they would put the second season on Netflix.
The issue I had with Young Justice was the amount of Pyrrhic victories that they used to drive the show along.  Ignore the fact that they portrayed the Justice League as utter morons for most of the second season, despite being in space court.  The fact of the matter, a lot of the time the show was incredibly frustrating to watch because every single episode the villains won.  Yes, yes, the Villains should win sometimes, but when you have massive egos like Lex Luthor, Vandal Savage and Ras Al Ghul playing nice with each other and not actually trying to push their own agenda?  That's also another massive disconnect.  All three of them should have believed that they should have been on top, and did everything in their power to subtly to that.  Instead, they were a better team than the League itself.

Now, I really like YJ, the writing was solid, the art designs were excellent and the characters were believable but it was clearly not designed for kids.  Because kids like the good guys winning, as in a clear victory.  Maybe not every time, but more than what we were given by the cartoon.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

I like all the in-jokes they cram into Go! though. Those are hilarious.

Just like every time you see Batman. :)

Scribbles

Quote from: Inkidu on June 25, 2014, 12:20:20 PM
Just like every time you see Batman. :)

Oh wow...

If the Teen Titan fans were mad, I can only imagine the Batman fans if they caught that particular portrayal. There will be nerds, pitchforks and bat-a-rangs everywhere!
AA and OO

Chris Brady

Quote from: Scribbles on June 25, 2014, 12:45:21 PM
Oh wow...

If the Teen Titan fans were mad, I can only imagine the Batman fans if they caught that particular portrayal. There will be nerds, pitchforks and bat-a-rangs everywhere!
Not really, I mean the type of people who would get angry are not the type of people we should associate with the fandom, you know?  The extremists.

Personally, I don't hate TTG because of how silly it is.  I don't care for it, because it's a joke a minute.  It has nothing to do with the vehicle they use for it, it's more about how numb I get to the humour after a while.

It's like the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide series.  You have to escalate the funny with every new joke and after a while, you get too numb to it and you lose the impact.  That's my problem with it.

If people like it, more power to ya.

Scribbles

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 25, 2014, 12:51:31 PM
Not really, I mean the type of people who would get angry are not the type of people we should associate with the fandom, you know?  The extremists.

I know, it's the whole "the few that shout the loudest" scenario in play. Personally, I just enjoy these shows because they lend a certain light-heartedness to some characters which have grown altogether too serious.

Like Batman: The Bold and the Brave! I suppose it just depends on your perspective, I need a bit of a laugh these days.
AA and OO

Chris Brady

The Brave and The Bold was...  Well, I agree with their choice to cancel it.  However, that said, I loved the Birds of Prey episode, and there were a few other good ones.