Kickstarter - New projects, old projects, successes and disasters

Started by Bloodied Porcelain, April 13, 2016, 09:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodied Porcelain

So I've only recently gotten in to the world of crowdfunding, having avoided it for years due to the worry that I would end up spending way too much money on projects just because they looked shiny and weren't really things I would reliably be interested in. But since I've gotten in to it, I've discovered a ton of new games at a fraction of the cost involved in finding them at a later stage, when I had to buy everything at full price. At this stage I've primarily only been backing table top rpgs, but I'm friends with people who frequent boardgame nights at the local game store who regularly back board games on there as well. So this thread is meant to be dedicated to discuss kickstarter projects themselves! Please note this isn't meant to be a place to come spam people about projects you want to be backed. This is only for discussion, sharing, etc.

Have you backed something you're really excited about? Are you considering backing something but don't feel like you know enough about it to put money on it? Want opinions because you have five projects funding at around the same time and can't decide which to put money in to and how much?

I'll start with my current lists...

Recently Funded
Heroines In Sensible Shoes
7th Sea Second Edition
The Carcass: Exodus
Infinitas DM
Expedition
Golden Oceans
Unbound
Era: Survival
Unknown Armies Third Edition
Katanas & Trenchcoats
Liber Veneficii
Mortality
Questor's Journey
      Project Type
Pewter miniatures - female figures in normal armor and shoes
Tabletop RPG
Tabletop RPG
Mobile Cartographer, Lorebook, and battlemap
RPG Card Game
Tabletop RPG
Tabletop RPG
Tabletop RPG
Tabletop RPG
Tabletop RPG
RPG Supplement
Tabletop RPG
Tabletop RPG
      Status
Funded
Funded
Funded
Funding
Funding
Funding
Funding
Funding
Funding
Funding
Funding
Funding
Funding
      Backer Level
$35 - Full Party Pledge
$440 - Marauder!
$40 - Curate
$5 - Early Adopter
$20 - The Adventurer
---
£40 - Hardback Special
---
---
---
---
---
---

Anything with a --- under the Backer level is something I have starred but haven't made a decision about. I'm reasonably certain I'm going to back Unknown Armies, Katanas & Trenchcoats, and Liber Veneficii, though I don't know what levels I will back them at, and I'm not 100% sold on them because I'm moving at the end of the month so my finances are not as stable/strong as usual. The others are still starred because while I'm probably not going to fund them, I'm curious enough to see how they will do.

Of the ones I've already backed and have been funded, HISS should be sending out their minis in the next month or two, so I'm very excited to get those in and have them painted. I'm so sick of having to use minis of adventurers who apparently think heels are the natural choice during cross country expeditions and such. And don't even get me started on chainmail bikinis. -.-

7th Sea is what I'm the most excited for. First edition rather quickly became an obsession after Ciosa introduced me to it a few months before the kickstarter was taken live, and I've already devoured a few books in PDF form since getting my complete 1st edition PDF set for backing the 2nd Edition kickstarter. :)

Carcass I was on the fence about, and I'm somewhat put off by how... abrasive the backer is. He seems to be one of those people who thinks that acting like he doesn't care about his project and the fans of it is somehow cool. Thankfully, aside from having to browse over updates to see what's going on, I don't have to read much of his social stuff, and the game looks interesting enough to justify at least getting a backer level that gets me the main book in print and pdf. Plus, good post apocalyptic games are hard to come by for me... most of the ones I encounter I end up disliking intensely. I figure it says something if this one strikes me as interesting in spite of the off putting nature of the writer's personality.

Infinitas DM is something that will see TONS of use by me, as my current cartography programs (all on PC, not mobile) are really good for super indepth stuff. If I want to "create a picture" of what people see, they're great, but I've found them a little over the top for things like battle maps. They also don't really provide much in the way of the ability to organize lore and world info. At 5 bucks, I couldn't justify not backing it to get a copy.

Expedition seems pretty cool... it looks like a cross between a table top RPG and a card game, and like it would be a really good introductory game to get people who have never played RPGs and think they'd dislike them without trying them to at least see if they might appreciate it. Plus, I go to boardgame nights at the local shop regularly, and I'd like to be able to bring games other people don't have. :p
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Sabby

There was that Social Autopsy abomination that just happened. The whole pitch was cringey and kind of scary, but it got shut down pretty quickly.

The only Kickstarters I really pay attention to are games, and I don't really have the money available to back them myself. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and Strafe are two I'm following closely.

Callie Del Noire

Mathim

Kung Fury was the most awesome Kickstarter thing I've ever heard of.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

AmberStarfire

Hairy and I backed 7th Sea and I know he backed Exalted and has a hardback book coming.

The first one I backed was for a friend to perform a play at the NYC fringe festival. I signed up to the site to help back the project.

That's all I've backed so far I think.