The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 30, 2016, 08:45:22 PM
Apparently, it was reported that even more changes were going to be made to Superman for the next film.

Aaaaaaaaaaand way to undermine what they did with him in BvS. Why have even bothered?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

Probably because most people haaaate this superman, i have to say as nonsensical and random as BvS was it was at least watchable, the superman movie was just me siting there half the time watching the movie between my fingers from face palming. And i dont even really care for Superman that much so there was not even the emotional connection of seeing something i like turned to grim dark paste

The funny thing about Snyder is his idea of "mature" is the same as a 13 year olds, so lots of cursing because thats Keewl and lots of grim shit because that edgy. Honestly i like a lot of his visual work but sometimes he feels like he is 90s kid. Him doing Superman is like  J.J. Abrams doing ST he just dos not get it, even if he tries doing the motions its this awful Frankenstein mess that just needs to be put out of its misery. And to ST i do have an emotional connection.

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 30, 2016, 10:01:24 PM
Probably because most people haaaate this superman, i have to say as nonsensical and random as BvS was it was at least watchable, the superman movie was just me siting there half the time watching the movie between my fingers from face palming. And i dont even really care for Superman that much so there was not even the emotional connection of seeing something i like turned to grim dark paste

The funny thing about Snyder is his idea of "mature" is the same as a 13 year olds, so lots of cursing because thats Keewl and lots of grim shit because that edgy. Honestly i like a lot of his visual work but sometimes he feels like he is 90s kid. Him doing Superman is like  J.J. Abrams doing ST he just dos not get it, even if he tries doing the motions its this awful Frankenstein mess that just needs to be put out of its misery. And to ST i do have an emotional connection.

That's Superman's problem, he's not interesting outside the comics and animated series(es). He's just too goddamn powerful to have any suspense when he fights, and his weakness makes him so pathetic he can't even put up a fight at all. Honestly, if they were going to build this universe, he's the last member of the Justice League they should have chosen to debut it. Batman should have got a reboot, then Wonder Woman just to establish that the earth has its own odd and powerful wonders, before they bring in the idea of aliens joining that ever-expanding worldview.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Sadly, Snyderman isn't the sort of person who would ever deliver a World of Cardboard speech, because that would be an amazing thing to see in live-action before going to town on Darkseid or someone of similar tier.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 30, 2016, 10:44:25 PM
Sadly, Snyderman isn't the sort of person who would ever deliver a World of Cardboard speech, because that would be an amazing thing to see in live-action before going to town on Darkseid or someone of similar tier.

Like that last episode of Justice League Unlimited? See, that's the kind of Superman that appeals to and interests people.

But then, they're doing the same thing to Spider-Man, making him a kid and limiting the spectacle he's capable of. The guy once knocked out the damn Hulk, for crying out loud. And that one time he had to lift a train station over his head to escape a cave-in so he could save the Lizard, his frenemy. We'll never get to see anything that remarkable or dramatic on the big screen at this rate.

TheGlyphstone

If DC would just give up the live-action and make theatrical-length animated features - then release them in theatres - they'd have a niche Marvel would really struggle to compete with. But even they can't shake off the Animation Age Ghetto.

Far eyes

I think its possible to do, but not with this one. The well is to tainted and lets face it this one had an awful core to start off from. But maybe BHH is right maybe Superman is just to simple/idyllic? an idea for the time, because at the core he is a very straight forward hero. And trying to make him more conflicted just ruins the basic concept. 
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 30, 2016, 11:46:41 PM
I think its possible to do, but not with this one. The well is to tainted and lets face it this one had an awful core to start off from. But maybe BHH is right maybe Superman is just to simple/idyllic? an idea for the time, because at the core he is a very straight forward hero. And trying to make him more conflicted just ruins the basic concept.

It's not just that, though, he's also just too powerful a hero to make anything he struggles for seem to matter much, in terms of personal stakes. But then it's hard to ground his powers enough to make him less so and still feel like that's the real Superman.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 30, 2016, 08:45:22 PM
Apparently, it was reported that even more changes were going to be made to Superman for the next film.

Superman Red and Superman Blue?

Mathim

Maybe the Injustice version? What little I've heard about it, anyway.

SapphireStar

A rumor about the solo Batman movie with Ben Affleck, apparently, the first solo movie will have "most" of all of Batman's villains making an appearance. If this is true, I don't see how the movie can focus on plot. It would solely rely on one fight after another.

TheGlyphstone

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 02, 2016, 09:14:00 PM
A rumor about the solo Batman movie with Ben Affleck, apparently, the first solo movie will have "most" of all of Batman's villains making an appearance. If this is true, I don't see how the movie can focus on plot. It would solely rely on one fight after another.

The first Batman and The Dark Knight were so good because their villains were so amazing. If they just try to shoehorn in all of them like the Justice League cameos in BvS, then this is going to suck.

Far eyes

I kind of want to see what they do, but we shall see

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 02, 2016, 09:59:13 PM
I kind of want to see what they do, but we shall see

I mean, if they're going to do that, at least have it be after he first starts out. Being at the point where he's already met all of them and fought them just makes the whole thing (the DCEU) feel even more rushed.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on May 02, 2016, 10:08:59 PM
I mean, if they're going to do that, at least have it be after he first starts out. Being at the point where he's already met all of them and fought them just makes the whole thing (the DCEU) feel even more rushed.

But it's the first solo Batman movie with a new actor...they have to do his origin story and make it a prequel to DoJ, or else we won't understand who the character is...

SapphireStar

According to reports, they want to make the solo Batman movie the ultimate movie. Everything would already be established. Lots of villains being featured, and the movie will be made within the next five years or so? What?

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 02, 2016, 09:14:00 PM
Batman walks down a corridor in Arkham Asylum, passed rows of thick grey metal doors. On each door is a name plate, a thin smile creeps across Batman's lips as he reads each in turn; Isley, Cobblepot, Sionis, Walker. The corridor seems endless and does the list of name.

See, all the villians & no fighting needed.  :P
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 03, 2016, 04:11:24 AM
Batman walks down a corridor in Arkham Asylum, passed rows of thick grey metal doors. On each door is a name plate, a thin smile creeps across Batman's lips as he reads each in turn; Isley, Cobblepot, Sionis, Walker. The corridor seems endless and does the list of name.

See, all the villians & no fighting needed.  :P

Still seems anticlimactic. We won't have gotten to see Batman rising to prominence. Even a montage during the opening credits of him taking down some of his most iconic rogues would probably work a little better than just an Arkham walk of fame.

SapphireStar

Every bit of news that comes out about the DC movies, just shake my head. They seem to be trying to have as many characters in a movie as possible. Which makes it virtually impossible to properly focus a movie. And the fact that they said it would be released in about five years raises a red flag. Another rumor was that the solo Batman movie might also feature Red Hood. It is rare that having more then one villain works. It depends on the story, etc.

Apparently, Alfred/Jeremy Irons is confirmed to return for the Justice league movies. Been thinking, anyone think Willem Dafoe might by playing Martian Manhunter?

mia h

Well if Synder has any say then the Martian Manhunter isn't going to be allowed within 1,000 miles of any DC movie. As for casting Willem Dafoe in the role, that's just going give rise to another Hollywood white-washing story.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Far eyes

Quote from: mia h on May 03, 2016, 10:57:19 AM
Well if Synder has any say then the Martian Manhunter isn't going to be allowed within 1,000 miles of any DC movie.

Huh did i miss something? Why do you think that?

A/A

SapphireStar

Like Deadshot, Harley, Captain Boomerang, Amanda Waller, two of whom were killed off on Arrow because they are in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie, which means there is the possibility Martian Manhunter could appear in Justice League. And, what the movie producers want they have gotten. It depends how much pressure Synder puts on the execs to get the characters he wants. I'm just speculating who he might possibly portray. That is my top pick. Used to seeing him playing a villain.

Martian Manhunter is a shapeshifter, he can assume any form. In one of the episodes of the Justice League, he took on the appearance of a white male with blonde hair. Then in the episode where Darkseid was invading, and Wonder Woman was fighting near the Great Wall of China she told an Asian male to get to safety. The man proceeded to transform into John J'onz/Martian Manhunter and joined the fight.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 03, 2016, 11:15:57 AM
Like Deadshot, Harley, Captain Boomerang, Amanda Waller, two of whom were killed off on Arrow because they are in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie, which means there is the possibility Martian Manhunter could appear in Justice League. And, what the movie producers want they have gotten. It depends how much pressure Synder puts on the execs to get the characters he wants. I'm just speculating who he might possibly portray. That is my top pick. Used to seeing him playing a villain.

Martian Manhunter is a shapeshifter, he can assume any form. In one of the episodes of the Justice League, he took on the appearance of a white male with blonde hair. Then in the episode where Darkseid was invading, and Wonder Woman was fighting near the Great Wall of China she told an Asian male to get to safety. The man proceeded to transform into John J'onz/Martian Manhunter and joined the fight.

Aren't there white martians? So WTF is this talk of whitewashing if they have numerous colors?

But I'd say no on Defoe, he's getting too old. I know Affleck is showing his grey hairs as Batman but that's a bad decision even if they're doing it and making no apologies.

SapphireStar

It wouldn't be the first time an actor had a body stunt double to portray the larger, alter form. Example, on Charmed, Julian McMahon played the human version of Cole Turner, and someone else played the demonic form of Balthazar.

Looks like Amber Heard has been cast as Mera for Justice League Part 1. The rumors for this movie are running wild. Apparently, Green Arrow and Black Canary might cameo along with Hal Jordan/Green Lantern. Another suggesting that Patrick Stewart is rumored to play Brainiac. Ra's al Ghul and Talia al Ghul were rumored to appear, might be why they killed Ra's at the end of Arrow season 3.

Mini update: Doing some more digging on some of the casting, reports regarding Willem Dafoe's character has pointed to several possibilities. One reports he is possibly Dr. T.O. Morrow, as scientist at STAR Labs. Another listed others possibles, an aging Green Arrow/Oliver Queen, a descendant of Steve Trevor, Tom Curry (Arthur Curry/Aquaman's father), Henry Allen or Jay Garrick (highly doubt Garrick since they will have the Flash played by Ezra Miller), Martian Manhunter. Though Tom Curry sounds more logical given that Aquaman is in the movie with his wife Mera, and they had Jeffery Deam Morgan playing Thomas Wayne in BvS.