Using Pictures

Started by Kythia, November 14, 2012, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

Hi, couple of things.

1) Is there any policy on what pictures can be used outside of the things mentioned in the rules.  Specifically, there's a pic I want to use for a game which is owned, or at least watermarked, by a stock photo company.  The watermark doesn't bother me so much, but I don't want to get E in trouble for using copyrighted stuff.  I'ev had a look but can't see anything so apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

2) While looking I saw that all pictures should go on the wiki.  I'd seen the announcement at the top right but that only says gifs so I'd ignored it because, you know, not using gifs.  So firstly, sorry about that, secondly would it be useful to change that wording?

Avis habilis

Quote from: Kythia on November 14, 2012, 12:25:09 PM
1) Is there any policy on what pictures can be used outside of the things mentioned in the rules.

No, as long as you're not claiming you own the rights to it when you don't you can use any pic that meets the site rules.

Quote from: Kythia on November 14, 2012, 12:25:09 PM
2) ... secondly would it be useful to change that wording?

Could be. I'll ask around, see what the rest of staff thinks.

Kythia

Beguile's Mistress

If something has a copyright it's proper to give credit where credit is due.  Many of the artists and photographers sell their work so if we are going to use it needs to be given source credit.