The Periodic Table of Storytelling

Started by Ellipsis, February 23, 2014, 09:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellipsis

Since this is, above all, a writing community, I thought I'd share this little nugget of Internet awesomeness.

http://designthroughstorytelling.net/periodic/

Clicking is encouraged!  ;)

Yukina

So much tropy goodness in one chart! *bows to it*

Inkidu

I don't know if I like fannon being in the noble gasses, and the abbreviation of Word of God might have some unfortunate implications. :P

Still, really freaking cool.

I think it would have been interesting of the rare-earth metals and the alkaline sections would have been dedicated to the weirder tropes like space-whale Aesop and crack pairing, and your-mileage-may-very terms respectively. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avis habilis

Now all we need is a random element generator to create ready-made story bases. Hmm...

Ellipsis

Quote from: Avis habilis on February 24, 2014, 12:08:11 PM
Now all we need is a random element generator to create ready-made story bases. Hmm...

+1

You're just full of good ideas!

Yukina

Blythe

I'm loving this chart.  8-) Thanks for sharing, Ellipsis!

kylie

I'm no chemist, but that is a kinda funky chart to grab stuff from!

No custom controls on this page as far as I can see...  But load this generator page and you get some random  lists of "stuff."  First more elements and later, compounds.

There are also flashcard programs online intended for quizzing knowledge of the periodic table...  They'll churn out elements more or less randomly.

Nevermore19

This is delightfully fun to play with :D

Empyrean

This is hilarious and informative! Great job! :)

rou

At first, I thought it was awesome.

Then, I realized that each element darkens as the mouse hovers over it and I can click on them, and then I literally went "OH MY GOD" out loud. xD

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

MasterMischief

This.  Is.  Awesome.

This is just the thing I need to kick start the imagination.

Caeli

This was SO awesome.

I shared it with a long-time writing friend of mine and we both got such a kick out of it.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Empress

I so needed this.

:D

You have my thanks.
I RP over Discord, my post count does not reflect my post frequency.

Ellipsis

I'm so glad everyone's enjoying it!  ;D

Ms Gavane

Wonderful share Ellipsis. Hours of fun. Also a good reminder that I'm not all that original.

Quote from: roulette on February 28, 2014, 05:21:44 PM
At first, I thought it was awesome.

Then, I realized that each element darkens as the mouse hovers over it and I can click on them, and then I literally went "OH MY GOD" out loud. xD

I had that same moment. Then I began clicking a lot.
O/O

rou

Quote from: Ms Gavane on March 04, 2014, 07:44:21 PM
Wonderful share Ellipsis. Hours of fun. Also a good reminder that I'm not all that original.

I had that same moment. Then I began clicking a lot.

I couldn't. Once I realized that was the case, I knew I would also die a horrible, painful death if I even tried to get started with it.

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

alextaylor

Quote from: Avis habilis on February 24, 2014, 12:08:11 PM

First thought when I saw this. Any storytelling chemists out there? I'd be happy to code a random story molecule generator :P
O/O

Passion and Desire

Why did you have to link to tvtropes? I was going to get something done today! I was going to be productive! Now all my hopes and dreams lie shattered, drowned in open tabs!

That aside, this is awesome, a really wonderful idea! :D

However, I don't get how those story molecules are constructed. Are there special rules to it, which I'm missing? Do you only focus on particular aspects of the story? ???

For example, in the Star Wars molecule, I'm missing quite a bit:

• The Hero (Luke Skywalker)
  • The Anti-Hero (Han Solo)
  • The Chessmaster (Emperor Palpatine)
  • Rebel Leader (Leia Organa)
  • Complete Monster (Emperor Palpatine/Grand Moff Tarkin)
  • Villain Protagonist (Darth Vader)
  • Mooks (Stormtroopers!)
  • Rule of Cool (Lightsabers, flying the Falcon into the insides of the 2nd Deathstar, AT-ATs, the Force, ...)
  • The Hero's Journey (Luke Skywalker)
All of which are pretty important to the story, and I don't think you could really describe Star Wars without any of them.