Scion / Deadlands Crossover game idea

Started by HairyHeretic, May 18, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Paladin on May 22, 2009, 06:33:52 PM
I have a SCION of Hachiman.

Can you give a bit more info? The Japanese pantheon is a bit trickier to work in here, so I'd like a bit more info on this one.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paladin

well for the game we played in he was a collector of fine arts and was a museum curator. I'm thinking he's not gonna fit in so nvm. I'm crazy to even think of getting into another game as all the ones I join just seem to die. Forget I asked man.

HairyHeretic

That concept would be a bit tricky to fit into the Deadlands setting .. I'd not say impossible, but it'd need work.

If you want to join, you're quite welcome to. We have space, and I'm sure we could sort out a character more suitable to the setting if you still wanted in.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Seriousely dude I'll only kill your game some how. Besides theres not any other pantheon I want to play.

HairyHeretic

I'd just be wondering why a museum curator was wandering round the horror infested old west :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you have to play a different pantheon .. it just might need a bit more work to get a decent character concept is all.

The choice is, of course, yours.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

I can try. I'll have to find the character first.

Muse

Haiy, do you want to do introduce any rules for unlocking the arcane secrets hidden in hoyles book of games or mad science? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 22, 2009, 06:36:04 PM
Ixy, Madpanda, do you want to give a brief idea of your characters so people can see what the group consists of so far?

Your wish is my command!

While she was originally thought up for a regular Scion game (see the other recent Scion request thread...), there's no reason Monkeygirl* can't show up in the Weird West as your basic wandering martial artist with a yuan for meddling in the best wuxia tradition.  You could even think of her as a female version of the main character from the old Kung Fu series, only with a laugh track and a tendency to chase skirts.

(* Okay, her given name is Chou Sulan, she's a daughter of Sun Wukong, and the best visual I can give you at the moment is to think of a slightly older and more grown up version of this young lady:)

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Rhapsody

Ed! Cowboy Bebop!

Also, Scion = win. 

I might be interested; we'll see how the next few days settle out in terms of my posting before I'll make a solid commitment.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Muse on May 22, 2009, 08:35:51 PM
Haiy, do you want to do introduce any rules for unlocking the arcane secrets hidden in hoyles book of games or mad science?

My knowledge of Deadlands is at present pretty much limited to the background. I have no issues with the mad science, if someone is playing the scion of a smithing / crafting deity. If someone comes up with a device, we can work out Scion stats for it.

Hoyles book is for dealing with spirits, right? Right off I could see it as being a relic giving access to the death and psychopomp purviews. There's no reason we couldn't whip up some rules for getting spirits to do your bidding from that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Quote from: Rhapsody on May 23, 2009, 03:17:12 AM
Ed! Cowboy Bebop!

Edward Wong Hau Pepeliu Tivrusky the Fourth, I think it is.  And no matter how the voice actress and character design team insist that the little scamp is supposed to be a cat, she reminds me of a monkey.  Thus we have the resulting mental image of a post-puberty, late-teen Ed for my character.

Which is either proof positive that Sulan will have kids, or that her father is still around to sire children in the distant future.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Ixy

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 22, 2009, 06:36:04 PM
Ixy, Madpanda, do you want to give a brief idea of your characters so people can see what the group consists of so far?

Absolutely. 
At this point, I'm pretty much settled on a vigilante gunslinger who sees herself as an instrument of reckoning for the injustices done by evil men.  Though not as much of a misandrist as some of Artemis' brood (though, by god, she's got reason to) and though she's always been a bit of a loner, she's also always been a bit on the lonely side, too.

I haven't taken the character's background to any particular depth yet, and am leaving a great deal of her history open until we solidify a group.  I'm pretty clear on a couple of major events, but I'm keeping this character 'semi-transparent' so I can fit her to how the story develops.

Oh, and, ah, not entirely set on the eyepatch that this image depicts, but I'm looking for some quirky things to add to keep this character from being too cookie-cutter, and I think it adds a certain vulnerability and weirdness...

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 23, 2009, 05:36:18 PM
Maybe the eyepatch is a relic? :)

Maybe it is.  I still need to update that part...

Phaia

Hello, I sent Hairy a PM since I am not that familar with Whitewolf or Deadlands, but I have read about both online and love the concepts. I have been reading about Scion and various Pantheons looking for one that would fit a concept I have. So without further ado let me present my idea:

Alice Moore, so proclaimed Lady Kitterland.
Relic Thief/survivor
Scion of Bastet   http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Bastet

Alice has no idea where she was acatully born or who her father is, she was adopted by a good hearter Madam in New Orleans. There she learned to play cards, gamble, speak several languages, sneak, and thief. She also has learned a sense of honor [weird at times as it may be]

Alice likes fine things but also can 'rough' it when needed. She has a few times claimed an item was a relic just so she could pocess it. (of course that fine silk french gown with stockings and shoes just had to be some relic didnt it... and she should guard it now shouldnt she...just becuase it was in someone elses house is no reason at all) Alice has been known to just give all her winnings to street kids to help out. Alice has been compared to a cat, scratch her in the right places, toss a shiney or two and its not at all hard to get under her petticoats.

She is sensual, a bit exotic, doesnt like guns but does know how to use them, (carries a pair of 2 shot derringers), she loves a good bubble bath or to swin naked and then lay out in the sun. Alice has no problem with using her body to get things. She is very skilled at poker and other card games.

Suggested abilities; Atheltics and Dodge, Larceny, survival,stealth, awearness, some sort of gun skill and melee, knowledeg that fits.

HairyHeretic

That certainly sounds a good start. I can guide you through character creation from there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

I am trying to post an image

Edit - ta da :)
Hairy

Phaia

grumbles, i couldnt figure out how to get the image to show in the post....grumbles

while reading things it was noted to be sure to have a good atheletics and dodge and maybe only a l;egend 2 to start giving more abilities [though of lesser strenght] i have no problem with this...i tend to perfer being capable....

*Grins* think sorta a period Catwoman but working for the gods....

had a bit of that concept when thinking up 'Lady Kitterland'... not sure what relics would work but i could see a cat or 2 as companions

MadPanda

Interested Monkeygirl gazes with great interest.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Phaia

lol thanks hairy i was being blonde and couldnt figure it out and have to watch going back to edit posts

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Photobucket can be odd. I recommend doing a right click - show image on the browser to display the proper url. And you want to use the image icon, rather than the hyperlink one for showing it.

The code is [.img] address [./img], removing the dots

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

well its there now...thanks again... i dont have access to the core Scion so do not know is Bastet is in there. I used what I found at the fan site as a guide. I wanted someone witha  bit of larceny and stealth to be a relic hunter. Bastet fit nicely including that she was in japan...i have a couple of ideas for relics just not sure if they fit or would work.

I would perfer powers more along the line of stealth, illusin, befuddlement , movement instead of combat or destruction
And if alice doesnt fit I actaully had an idea for a female using the nattive american gods.

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Ok, couple of things with regard to the rules. Legend is what powers your special abilities. You can take a number of epic abilities up to one less than your legend. With legend 2, you can only have Epic <whatever> at level 1. Personally I think Legend 3 is a better choice than 2, but thats just me for you. Plus each point of Epic <whatever> gives you 1 automatic success in that ability, which is quite useful at times. 2 dots of epic, 2 successes.

Relics can do a few things. Weapons, armour, transport, stat boosting stuff are their innate powers. They also give access to the purviews (Sky, Justice, War, and so on), which allows the Scion to channel the boons of those purviews. Optionally a relic can be something simple, say a ring, that only grants access to a purview.

The more it does, the more dots it costs. Good rule of thumb, one dot per special. Weapon with stat boost (accuracy and damage), and access to the purview of justice .. 2 special things, 2 dots.

Bastet is part of the Egyptian pantheon. Coming from the deep south, one of the Loa (Voodoo) might be more suitable, but I can't remember if they have a trickster .. they probably do. There is a fan made pantheon for the native american gods, I found it last week. It looked ok.

I think you'd enjoy things like the purview of chaos and illusion (illusion is in the Ragnarok book, not the core).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

I had considered making her teh scion of Loki but then the main aseir gods tend to hunt his scions down. the Loa had no real tricksters, I checked them...Coyote was interesting but a bit to ...umm... out there for my taste, i perfer subtle not in the face.

Legend 3 is fine by me I was reading recommendations from the fan site and they were using the 15 points for abilities example [whatever that is lol] I vaguley remember my Whitewolf days with up too 5 dots for things...
btw how much game system will this be...i tend to perfer freeform and have never really did a game system thread.

Phaia

Phaia

another i was looking at was Manannán mac Lir of the celtics and actually have an idea incorporating a scion from him...including nibbits from the Isle of Man and King of Man [which Manannán mac Lir was supposed to be]

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=The_Tuatha_De_Danann

Phaia