Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderclan

I'm preparing for a new run at Fallout 3, after three runs at Skyrim in a fairly short span of time I have grown tired of shouting at things. Honestly though I think I'm more annoyed about having to put my Nordic Elf story on hold then I am about having to replay the same parts of the game every time it glitches to death on me.

Ah well, just have to refocus the creative sparks on Tales of 101, and who knows? Might even finish the game this time.

thunderclan

Not sure if I'm a 'serious' gamer but I would say that if you are enjoying the game then that is all that really matters :) After all, isn't that why we play games, for our own personal enjoyment? :)

Oreo

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 21, 2015, 06:34:34 PM
Would all the serious gamers point at me and laugh too much if I said I am having a ton of fun with Hearthstone? It's the first computer game I've played in forever and I really like it. :) It reminds me of playing magic way back in the day.

I wouldn't.  *laughs at self* I am playing Cat Goes Fishing. <_<

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Kazyth

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 21, 2015, 06:34:34 PM
Would all the serious gamers point at me and laugh too much if I said I am having a ton of fun with Hearthstone? It's the first computer game I've played in forever and I really like it. :) It reminds me of playing magic way back in the day.

I wouldn't either.

I am a fairly 'serious gamer' I suppose, and I love hearthstone for probably many of the same reasons that you do.  Especially when I get to maul my way up the ranks with my Hunter Zoo deck.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Mathim

I downloaded all the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon games from the PSX recently on my PS3. God, those were good games. It just feels like compared to the newer ones, and reboots, they knew what they were doing back then and have no idea what they're doing now (Twinsanity was just...insanity.)

Oh, and Medievil. I know the camera kind of sucks but it's a solid 3D adventure/platformer. I love the superdeformed nature of everything and the combat mechanic. Plus each level is more or less really imaginative. The second one was pretty good too but that's not currently available on the Playstation Network.

So if anyone has a PS3/4 and a home net connection, I recommend those if you're into retro games. One game I can't seem to find but really wish was available if the first Nightmare Creatures. Now there was a challenging, fun survival horror game. Way Gothic, long enough to make it worth the sale price, and challenging enough to engage players thoroughly. I watched some Let's Plays of the sequel and it just looked like a mess.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Nachtmahr on February 21, 2015, 11:56:07 AM
Oh wauw. I wish I could make myself play through it just once. I booted it up and walked around for 15-20 minutes and my god.. It seems.. Messy.

If you like Elder Scrolls, stick with it. It's worth it, I promise. The Epilogue and Chapter 1 are the weakest imo, the second you get to Vizima it picks up steam. It does seem messy at start, but hopefully you'll get the hang of it - to me it was messy because it doesn't really follow other RPG's structures. That was weird at first, but then oddly refreshing.

And Skyrim was a mess at launch, and it still is on the PS3. I honestly couldn't even play it for the first week after picking it up because it was so broken.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Nachtmahr

Quote from: LuckyOwl on February 22, 2015, 09:41:00 AM
If you like Elder Scrolls, stick with it. It's worth it, I promise. The Epilogue and Chapter 1 are the weakest imo, the second you get to Vizima it picks up steam. It does seem messy at start, but hopefully you'll get the hang of it - to me it was messy because it doesn't really follow other RPG's structures. That was weird at first, but then oddly refreshing.

Mhm, here's the thing: I don't know that I can say I like Elder Scrolls. :P I kind of like Skyrim, except these days I'm just annoyed with it's complete and utter lack of a combat system. I know it's weird to say this 200 hours into a game, but once you realize that there's no coherence to it, and that you're just flailing your weapons randomly at enemies with seemingly random health pools.. Yeah, it kind of just fell apart for me the moment I started to open my eyes to what the game was instead of what I was pretending it was. x) Maybe I'm just weird though, seeing how 95% of gamers will disagree with me when I say that Skyrim is actually just a pretty face with little substance.

But I guess I should perhaps give Witcher another shot at some point.

Anyways, being the massive Souls fan i am I finally got around to actually playing Demon's Souls. At least, I got started. I'm a few hours in by now, and while I can see how it's a template for the Dark Souls franchise (Because it is) it's.. Extremely overrated in my opinion. It's the humble beginnings of what became a great concept, but it's really not very good. Or rather, it's as good as any Souls game, but very poorly designed. Where Dark Souls 1 and 2 have that 'hard but fair'-punishment thing going on, Demon's souls literally just wastes your time in the most disrespectful way imaginable. What it does isn't a penalty for mistakes most of the time, but rather an overly harsh punishment for falling victim to circumstances that are often out of your control.
And it doesn't really feel as inspired as the first Dark Souls in my opinion.

But.. Uhm.. Good games.. Eeh..

I cleared the Viscera Cleanup Detail spoof of Shadow Warrior. x3 That was kind of.. Utterly hilarious.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Drake Valentine

Project Zomboid

Pc game. Graphics wise, eh, probably not that best. Lower than Sims quality, think Jagged Alliance quality-ish.

However, that doesn't take away from much of the game(which is still under heavy development.) You level up, kill zombies, and basically have to survive in an infested world. There are no human npcs(well, there were but they got deleted cause they were 'broken.') It does support servers if you want to play beyond single player, but probably single player would be best recommended since most servers I joined made it hard to survive starting out. Houses looted, no water, no electricity. In single player, after 2 months game time those things go out, but least you have time to prepare before they do.

You can also build, craft things, combine things, cook(obviously) and pretty much almost anything. There are some useless items, which serve better for markers if you plan to go adventuring away from base on a loooong trip(given the map is pretty huge and open for most part and without vehicles- which are being implemented- it makes it harder to travel.)

Downside is, if bitten or scratched chances are you will become infected. High possibility, but even if you die, you can respawn in the same world with a brand fresh character, assuming you stored away your items, otherwise you may have trouble finding your former corpse as it will wander off all zombie-ish(unless death by other means.)

I am enjoying it thus far, playing the open test build for the 32 version(which is still underdevelopment) but that build offers more perks, classes, traits, and whatnot.

Got my own little base going, stockpile of can food, cereal, and chips; working on farming, trapping, and leveling crafting since I am at point with no electricity/water pipelines not working.  Trying to build some rain collector barrels and find myself a saw(seriously been roaming for over 2 months in game time and still haven't located a saw.) >.< Items are hard to locate, especially those in high demand(axe, saw, hammer are primary necessaries of any building/surviving. The former two are harder to locate.)

Items will also lose condition, but not sure what effects it. I believe mainly may be from combating zombies, unless every use slowly drains their life.... Some of which can be repaired(good luck finding materials for repairing.)

Also noise draws zombies. Your character will panic, get hungry, get tired, get exhausted, get bored, get sad, and even get sick/hot and being dehydrated or suffering hypothermia is the last thing you probably will want in zombie apocalypse game world.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Zeth

I just finished the new TOMB RAIDER. It was very fun adventure game.

Revelation

I finished up hotline miami 2 earlier tonight. Overall I liked it more than 1, but it could have been better. The story was pretty damn cool, and a nice followup to the strange madness that Hotline Miami 1 had - while still keeping similar tones and themes. The soundtrack was amazing with a lot of songs I really liked, and that gave it a breath of fresh air. The gameplay i'm mixed on. I really didn't like one of the characters and I hated his levels, and I really wanted the fans to have more levels than they did. Some of the levels were also pretty bad in design, with a lot of 'gotcha' or random feeling elements. having a gun toting mobster spot you from off screen and blast you before you even know he's there is kinda shitty. There is also a really annoying bug with Ash and Alex where Ash get stuck on doors and glitches out which is really annoying.

Overall compared to the first game, i'd say it was an improvement but it could have been better.

HisLovingPlaything

I've been playing Metro: Last Light. I didn't play the first one, but I saw the ad for MLL online and it struck me as very tragic and epic and romantic. I haven't been disappointed, I love this game.

I want to have the main characters babies. Just saying.
Not taking on more stories at the moment! Sorry!

Twisted Crow

Quote from: Zeth on March 14, 2015, 05:14:09 PM
I just finished the new TOMB RAIDER. It was very fun adventure game.

Ditto this.

Currently having a blast with Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. I cleared all of the default scenarios and currently experimenting with the "Gathering of Heroes" scenario, which is basically a random scenario. I like that I can play as a Ruler, Strategist, Prefect, Common Officer or even a free roaming vagrant with no force. The freedom to basically weave my own character's story in every game is crazy addicting.

Playing a tyrant is pretty difficult compared to past games in the series, I'll admit. This is probably the best Empires game I've played since DW5:E.

Ethmerrai

Hello :)

I have played many PC games and I hope I will play even more in the future. I would like to recommend these games from varios genres:

FPS - Borderlands 2 - Fast action, RPG system, bosses, humor.
Strategy - Men of War: Assault squad 2 - amazing strategy from WW2. Very detailed and deep in terms of what you can do.
RPG - For this I would recommend a F2P RPG Path of the Exile - It is like the good old Diablo II but with better graphics and some new good systems :)

And if anyone is interested in some games for relax with story, puzzles and "search for objects" I can recommend many Hidden object games.

In my opinion, those games I pinpointed are worth buying. I myself do not like games where you put 50 dollars on the counter for a game that you go through once and then you just delete it because there is no re-run value.

Eranil Morathim

I just picked up Final Fantasy X/X2 remastered yesterday. I'm excited to have both of these. I never beat X when I played it before. And X2 I've actually never played. Both are going to bring lots of fun. Now I need to try to find the strategy guide for X again so I can get Anima and therest of the hidden aeons.

Oniya

Quote from: Eranil Morathim on March 16, 2015, 09:37:49 AM
I just picked up Final Fantasy X/X2 remastered yesterday. I'm excited to have both of these. I never beat X when I played it before. And X2 I've actually never played. Both are going to bring lots of fun. Now I need to try to find the strategy guide for X again so I can get Anima and therest of the hidden aeons.

GameFAQs for the win.  *nods*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Eranil Morathim

Inkidu

Playing Kerbal Space Program still. I'm actually getting quite good at navigating orbits. I learned it's always better to change any vectors while you're going up.

"I shoot ze rockets up, don't know where zey come down, says Warner Von Braun." :P ;D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HisLovingPlaything

Quote from: Inkidu on March 16, 2015, 09:52:11 AM
Playing Kerbal Space Program still. I'm actually getting quite good at navigating orbits. I learned it's always better to change any vectors while you're going up.

"I shoot ze rockets up, don't know where zey come down, says Warner Von Braun." :P ;D

Oh, I would play the shit out of KSP if my computer wasn't crap! I'm a space geek.

I heard the physics are really accurate besides the fact that it only takes into account two gravitational bodies at a time. Totally jealous.
Not taking on more stories at the moment! Sorry!

Oreo

Haven't played yet, but Final Fantasy Type-0 is in the mail (yes ::) with the hardcover manual.)

Due to arrive tomorrow. ;D

*excited tension*

PS FF X was fun, for the record. I played it for the first time last year in the new HD version.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oreo on March 16, 2015, 10:10:25 AM
Haven't played yet, but Final Fantasy Type-0 is in the mail (yes ::) with the hardcover manual.)

*excited tension*

PS FF X was fun, for the record. I played it for the first time last year in the new HD version.

Hmm, that is odd that you'd get it a day early.  Release is on the 18th.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

RubySlippers

I'm in the Closed Beta for World of Warships and they lifted the disclosure agreement but will say for now Its Awesome and handicapped player forgiving.

Twisted Crow

Quote from: Oreo on March 16, 2015, 10:10:25 AM

*excited tension*

I gotta say, Type 0 looks promising!

Galactic Druid

So I just finished "Ori and the Blind Forest". They've got a deal with Microsoft, so it's only available on PC and Xbone at the moment, unfortunately, but if you can play it, I can't recommend it enough. Great art, great music, surprisingly great challenge for a game that looks so pretty, too.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Oreo

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on March 16, 2015, 01:37:41 PM
Hmm, that is odd that you'd get it a day early.  Release is on the 18th.

>:) Amazon March 17th

They always mail it so it will arrive on the date they post.

Formless

I will have to download it when its available on the PSN store. ::)