How to add animation (.gifs) to posts, etc.?

Started by Callista, January 12, 2014, 09:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callista

I checked to see if this had been asked before but I can't find anything.  If I am posting in a forum, or email, etc. how do I add an animated .gif ?
Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.  William Shakespeare
Different hearts beat on different strings
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

jouzinka

Well, this differs for the media that you are using.

For forums you need to upload your image to an image hosting service (Photobucket, ImageShack, TinyPic, Instagram and Tumblr would also come to mind) and get a link to the image. Once you have a link you just insert it into a post and wrap it in the IMG tag

[img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/e/e2/Bye.gif[/img]
[img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/e/e2/Bye.gif[/img]

As far as emails, that gets trickier. Some editors will allow you to insert content like that, some won't. IMs, generally, won't.

Hope it helps.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Callista

I found this and it seemed easier:
I went to the image I wanted and then right clicked and chose Copy Image Location and pasted it where it says 'Insert image link'

Thanks very much for the alternative. I appreciate your quick response!
Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.  William Shakespeare
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

jouzinka

That's fine. It's just that some sites have a policy against hotlinking (sharing images on other sites than the one they originate from), which is where the "Copy Image Location" stops to function. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Beguile's Mistress

Callista

I guess its just the instant gratification syndrome. LOL  When I want to share a post with a picture like that I don't want to have to stop and jump threw a lot of hoops.  Thanks for the replies I'm sure this will come in handy! :)
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Oniya

Also, some sites will not allow their images to be hotlinked.  You see, they pay for the amount of data that gets transmitted from their site's files, and would prefer that cost go to support people actually viewing their page instead of some random Internet forum.

While you will continue to see the cute little Corgi for a while (because it's in your browser's cache file), someone who has never been to the site may see (at the kindest) just the site's name, or a warning about not hotlinking, or a completely different image (not necessarily as family friendly).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callista

Ohhh that puts an entirely different spin on things!!  Thanks for that information!
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Oreo

We have also had issues with gifs causing members to get viruses from gif sites. What you choose to do off of Elliquiy is okay, but all gifs need to be uploaded to the Wiki if they are being posted on E.

Regular pictures can be loaded from host sites such as Photobucket, Image Shack, Tumblr, etc..

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Ember Star

Quote from: Oreo on January 12, 2014, 02:11:05 PM
We have also had issues with gifs causing members to get viruses from gif sites. What you choose to do off of Elliquiy is okay, but all gifs need to be uploaded to the Wiki if they are being posted on E.

Regular pictures can be loaded from host sites such as Photobucket, Image Shack, Tumblr, etc..
to be fair, even I thought you could get away with linking GIFs from personal image hosting and I remember when that announcement was made. I generally don't use GIFs because I can't see them move except when I'm on certain browser. But the few times I have, I've put them on my Photobucket thinking that was safe enough.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Vekseid

Generally it's fine. Uploading to the wiki is primarily to prevent certain password sniffing attempts and "this site includes content from a compromised site" which is the normal problem we get from people hotlinking. These things don't typically happen with major image hosts.