Movies/Games that Sucked, and Didn't Have To

Started by Sabby, August 24, 2011, 07:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

What movies have you seen that had the makings of a great plot, but really wasn't put together very well. Games too, but only the plots.

For me, it's Supernova. It was such a great idea, and the villain was awesome. Basically, scattered throughout the universe, there are these orbs of energy buried in planets. Being with one not only makes you healthier, but younger. They contained all the elements needed for life. Everything required to make the universe liveable is inside of it. They were put there, because eventually, all suns swallow their planets. The orbs are supposed to fall into their suns periodically, when advancement in the universe grinds to a slow dragging death.

Basically, a periodic big bang patcher. Villain had the orb and could use it to revive himself and heal any injuries, plus it made him as fast and strong as it's possible for him to be. Shit film, but seriously, the idea is solid.

krakenknight

If you count TV then Stargate Universe. It have a solid cast on paper but it tried so hard to make soap opera tension the actual survival stuff got forgotten (Seriously the mutiny makes NO sense in the series context)

Game wise I'm submitting Dungeons, the idea behind it was great and the story enjoyable but it got boring after a while because it wasn't varied enough (If you're ripping off dungeon Keeper at least be as varied as a game that came out over 15 years ago)

Malefique

Jonah Hex.  And Solomon Kane.  Both of them with the potential to be awesome, but wound up pretty much cobblers.
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Hemingway

Red Dead Redemption. Its plot - and I use that term very lightly - can be summed up as "there are some bad guys, and they lead you on a merry chase". There are no twists to speak of. There's just hours and hours of pointless side missions that go nowhere. The only twist in the game I literally saw coming a few hours into the game. The entire plot of the game should have been the plot of the first chapter. And they should have dropped the, ah, "twist" ending, as it makes no sense in the context of the game. It has to be the game with the most wasted potential I have ever played.

CmdrRenegade

Alpha Protocol.  Really intriguing concepts, but incredibly frustrating gameplay.  Setting up missions where only a shooting character can complete it, while a player has set up for sneaking and melee is just retarded.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Slaven

Final Fantasy 10 until now. Final Fantasy was a legendary series throughout its early days and completely revolutionized RPGs on the PS1. What they were doing was working, but starting with 10 they started focusing more on game play and how the game worked than the story lines that made Final Fantasy so epic.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Malefique on August 24, 2011, 07:57:46 AM
Jonah Hex.  And Solomon Kane.  Both of them with the potential to be awesome, but wound up pretty much cobblers.

I get Jonah Hex.. definitely jumped the Shark..

but Solomon Kane? (Not that many folks in the US got to see it.. )

Slaven

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 24, 2011, 06:56:33 PM
I get Jonah Hex.. definitely jumped the Shark..

but Solomon Kane? (Not that many folks in the US got to see it.. )

Yeah, I've never even heard of Solomon Kane myself.

Xanatos

I would have to disagree that FFX wasn't good, storyline wise. I found it amazing, especially since I really don't like FF type games as the game play of constant never ending grinding bores me to death. I simply played through the drudgery purely for the story. Anyways, thats a bit too off topic probably.

I would say the Underworld series, with Kate "freaking hot" Beckinsale, was conceptually amazing, but the plot was weak. In the first movie Vampires were just Human's wielding guns and leather. That was flat-out pathetic and a disgrace to the Vampire lore. However, I stuck with it and despite its glaring flaws, I can still watch and enjoy it because of its core concept/idea and its dark world. I do look forward to Underworld 3 (yes, I don't count the prequel, as its a prequel and not the storyline progressing forward as 1 and Evolution were, as should be the next one).

As for video games, I have a few. Old ones, though, so many of you might not know of them. Star Trek Armada II was interesting but basically a waste. You either played the Borg, didn't go up against them as AI opponents or got murdered by them if you did (although the campaign mode was fine). The Borg could create this ultimate ship called Cube Fusion, with normal cubes or Tactical Borg cubes (which were powerful enough). You combined eight of either kind and proceeded to utterly obliterate the enemy without need to shed a single drop of sweat worrying about losing the ship. Entire fleets could not take on a single Cube Fusion. I managed to get two at one point, and basically sat back doing nothing but telling them to move across the map, letting them kill at their discretion. It was horrible (in a fun, sadistic, mad cackling, but ultimately broken and soon to be boring way).

The next two were highly anticipated but failures. Master of Orion II and Master of Orion III. The first one, Master of Orion, is a seriously old school MS-DOS game, was superbly amazing and the re-playability was basically infinite. Number two was a joke of a game. If your race did not possess the Creative talent, it was nearly insurmountable to beat another enemy; let alone the almighty Antarans who randomly appeared and obliterated everything in their path. If you were creative, then the game was decent. The only race that had the Creative talent, aside from just customizing a new race, was the Psilons. Everyone else just ate solar radiation and died.

Master of Orion III looked so amazing and probably had a ton of improvements, but it was so micro-managed that I couldn't figure out half of what I was doing even with the manual helping me. The aliens were also a pain, being quicker and more powerful usually, and the bloody win conditions always ruined my plans for a prolonged war of attrition. You had a time limit to either rule over the council, defeat the Antarans, or kill all opponents. Good luck completing either while you struggled to get even one fleet operating. I was immensely disappointed over that failure of a game.

Envious

Avatar, the Last Airbender. I thought the bending would be super-cool, but... well, I'm just going to leave it at: that movie was a disappointment.

Inkidu

Avatar, the James Cameron movie. If it had been better written and less preachy.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sel Nar

Envious, that's because M. Night Shamalamadingdong doesn't know how to make a good movie it one slapped the taste out of his mouth.

Movies that sucked that didn't have to; Anything that Uwe Boll got his hooks into, instead of an actual director with more than 1 working synapse.

Games that sucked that didn't have to: Deus Ex 2; if they had kept the complexity of the first, it would have been better-recieved, to say the least.

Also, Wolfenstein 2009; it's fun, but the mechanics are wibbly, and using a gun turret (mandatory in several sections) is an excercise in frustration and hate.

Oniya

Quote from: Sel Nar on August 24, 2011, 09:09:20 PM
Envious, that's because M. Night Shamalamadingdong doesn't know how to make a good movie

Heeheehee  ;D

You know, a lot of his plots have the potential for being awesome films, if only someone let them grow.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Slaven

The newest superman movie..Because it turned out to be the worst comic based superhero movie of the last ten years.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on August 24, 2011, 09:14:30 PM
Heeheehee  ;D

You know, a lot of his plots have the potential for being awesome films, if only someone let them grow.
I actually call it M. Night Syndrome. His first movie was so great (The Sixth Sense) that nothing he did after that would have ever (and has never) lived up to fans' expectations.

If only he'd done his movies in reverse. Then it would be seen as the capstone to a career.

The Matrix would have been better if it didn't have those other two movies after it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Violence

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on August 24, 2011, 02:49:10 PM
Alpha Protocol.  Really intriguing concepts, but incredibly frustrating gameplay.  Setting up missions where only a shooting character can complete it, while a player has set up for sneaking and melee is just retarded.

I will second this. *nods*

I actually loved the game, but it seemed to hate me with unrestrained passion.  Amazing conversation system, morality choices that weren't clear-cut "good" and "evil" options, a story that actually felt like it changed based on how you played and what order you did missions... all of those should have been enough to make it awesome...

But in their rush to get the game out on time, the developers seemed to assume giving the enemies ESP was the same thing as adding challenge.  Too many times I'd be spotted by guards who were apparently seeing me through a concrete wall... and every boss was apparently Wolverine, since they could not only track you down by smell, but took about 10000 bullets to the face to put down. @_@
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Chuukun

Hah, what a surprise, I loved Alpha Protocol, too... I didn't even mind all those little things you listed, not really. I liked how certain dialogue changed depending on how you performed in a mission (ie. got spotted, killed everyone and so on) and I didn't really get why it got so bad reviews. I enjoyed the hell out of it and played through it about 3 times or so. To know that there will most likely not be a sequel to improve on it makes me sad.

krakenknight

Quote from: Inkidu on August 24, 2011, 09:06:08 PM
Avatar, the James Cameron movie. If it had been better written and less preachy.

I actually liked it right until the "we killed our mother" line. I officially went into full on smark mode after that.

Inkidu

Quote from: krakenknight on August 25, 2011, 01:23:40 PM
I actually liked it right until the "we killed our mother" line. I officially went into full on smark mode after that.
I actually would have liked the movie if you saw the Earth ship nuking Pandora from orbit.

Seriously, you already booted them off the planet. The unobtanium (cringes) is lost. Just nuke them out of spite. That's what I would have done.

Major Major

Nah, that would have just meant you can't go back for centuries. Kenetic Kill Vehicles are the way to go; drop a couple of hundred tons of junk at relativistic speed on the bastards, wipe then out, and return to mining. Easy as pie.

Inkidu

Quote from: Major Major on August 25, 2011, 07:23:04 PM
Nah, that would have just meant you can't go back for centuries. Kenetic Kill Vehicles are the way to go; drop a couple of hundred tons of junk at relativistic speed on the bastards, wipe then out, and return to mining. Easy as pie.
Centuries. People lived in Hiroshima and Nagasaki decades after the bombs on that. You wouldn't need a lot. They only live in one freaking place on the planet. Mr. Cameron is not adverse to the idea of nuking aliens from orbit, only when it interferes with his thinly-veiled soapbox.

Sabby

Avatar is a lot like Independence Day, in the sense that you think the good guys won, but really, after the credits are done rolling, everyone is fucked :P They won the battle, and now the war will up the ante and just walk right over them.

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Chuukun on August 25, 2011, 12:56:13 PM
Hah, what a surprise, I loved Alpha Protocol, too... I didn't even mind all those little things you listed, not really. I liked how certain dialogue changed depending on how you performed in a mission (ie. got spotted, killed everyone and so on) and I didn't really get why it got so bad reviews. I enjoyed the hell out of it and played through it about 3 times or so. To know that there will most likely not be a sequel to improve on it makes me sad.

Quote from: Violence on August 24, 2011, 09:27:28 PM
I will second this. *nods*

I actually loved the game, but it seemed to hate me with unrestrained passion.  Amazing conversation system, morality choices that weren't clear-cut "good" and "evil" options, a story that actually felt like it changed based on how you played and what order you did missions... all of those should have been enough to make it awesome...

But in their rush to get the game out on time, the developers seemed to assume giving the enemies ESP was the same thing as adding challenge.  Too many times I'd be spotted by guards who were apparently seeing me through a concrete wall... and every boss was apparently Wolverine, since they could not only track you down by smell, but took about 10000 bullets to the face to put down. @_@

I would have accepted that if I had chosen to go for a straight "guns-blazing" type.  But if I want to go stealth, I should be able to do so and succeed if played right.  It's the problem of being forced into a situation that only one type of class can deal with.  In many games, I've come to call it the "Solo problem", and it's the reason in most RPGs that the main character is a Warrior/Soldier type.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Major Major on August 25, 2011, 07:23:04 PM

Depending on how patient you are.. coast out to the equivalent of the asteroid belt, find a few nice high ferrous content rocks and aim them at the vital points of the planets eco system drop it where you know it will cause catastrophic climate change.. or given that they know enough to create clones..(and you're not to squicky about it) come up with a bug based on something unique to their biology, something that build up over a period of time and spreads like wildfire. Let it spread..then at a certain timeframe.. everything dies off.. no fight. Then do a nice thermal cleansing to wipe out the bug afterwards.. mine.

Scary thoughts.. but hey.

Of course I never saw the movie.

Sabby

Another really good idea handled terribly. Jeepers Creepers. Basically, it's a big mite/slug/insect/parasite thing that burrows into your chest and sets up shop, puppeting you and using all of your body, but the catch is, the body is rotting, so steadily it's eyes will fail it, it's ears, it's nose, it's limb. It needs the hosts parts, but it has very specific tastes.

So it dressed up like Harry Dresden if he had a skin condition, all brown rags and cloak and hat and boots and gloves, constantly looking for new victims to rip their parts out, swallow them and have it slowly shifted about inside to the right place, bound and put to work.

He can even just rip off someones head and put it on his shoulders. The only thing I'm not sure on is the wings. Somehow, the parasite has man sized bat wings that can burst from his back.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 25, 2011, 10:36:35 PM
Avatar is a lot like Independence Day, in the sense that you think the good guys won, but really, after the credits are done rolling, everyone is fucked :P They won the battle, and now the war will up the ante and just walk right over them.
The good guys did win in Independence Day. Remember, the whole race invaded Earth. They blew them all up after Will Smith and Goldblum infected the mothership with that virus. Those nasty buggers didn't have a home world.

Oniya

Yeah, damn lucky that the aliens would be using an Apple OS (Will Smith took up the virus on a Powerbook.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Diablerie

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2011, 12:05:21 PM
Yeah, damn lucky that the aliens would be using an Apple OS (Will Smith took up the virus on a Powerbook.)

*Thinks Oniya is awesomer*  ::)

Thor...What a horrible disappointment...

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 11:35:30 AM
The good guys did win in Independence Day. Remember, the whole race invaded Earth. They blew them all up after Will Smith and Goldblum infected the mothership with that virus. Those nasty buggers didn't have a home world.

I dunno if your being funny or not xD so I may look seriousface here, but no one sends their entire race on an invasion. When the invasion force gets taken down, a bigger one shows up, usually to a mostly worn out resistance. Not to mention that Earth would then be covered in city sized alien crematoriums... all those burning bodies and alien technology, the next invasion force might not even need to do anything, we'd be dead from plague and polution.

Oniya

It would depend on the homeworld - if the original planet had become unlivable, the intelligent thing to do would be to send a number of colonizing-type ships out in different directions, so that if one failed to find a new world, the race still had a chance .  Those colony ships may or may not have ways of communicating with each other, but it would take time (speed of light limitations and all that).  Then, they'd have to consider whether they wanted to waste their ships' finite resources to turn around and try to make a second attempt on a world that had already proved 'dangerous' (possibly dooming another colony-worth of settlers), or go on to their own potential colony world.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea of a 'revenge' scenario once the alien race had set up a thriving colony - but by then, the dead aliens on Earth would have been dealt with.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 01:04:19 PM
I dunno if your being funny or not xD so I may look seriousface here, but no one sends their entire race on an invasion. When the invasion force gets taken down, a bigger one shows up, usually to a mostly worn out resistance. Not to mention that Earth would then be covered in city sized alien crematoriums... all those burning bodies and alien technology, the next invasion force might not even need to do anything, we'd be dead from plague and polution.
No, I'm being serious, I've seen that movie like nine times. They're a race of scavengers. They move the whole entirety of their population like locusts going from planet to planet harvesting resources. They explain it all in the movie. They're kind of like the Quarians from Mass Effect. They don't have a home world, just this flotilla of hive ships, and Earth blew them all up.

Sabby

Correction, the President had a speech that claimed such, and the extent of his knowledge on the issue was one of the aliens told him to shut up and die, because apparently nuking his home with a city destroying laser beam was too subtle for him.

There is absolutely nothing to support the idea that the Mothership housed the entire race, and the only reason that it would would be from what Oniya said, specific events forcing them to leave, whether it be purposefully bleeding their previous home dry or something out of their hands, and if it ISN'T one of those, then wherever home is will send another ship.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 03:00:02 PM
They don't have a home world, just this flotilla of hive ships, and Earth blew them all up.

a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet ...

>_>

<_<

What?

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 03:10:33 PM
Correction, the President had a speech that claimed such, and the extent of his knowledge on the issue was one of the aliens told him to shut up and die, because apparently nuking his home with a city destroying laser beam was too subtle for him.

There is absolutely nothing to support the idea that the Mothership housed the entire race, and the only reason that it would would be from what Oniya said, specific events forcing them to leave, whether it be purposefully bleeding their previous home dry or something out of their hands, and if it ISN'T one of those, then wherever home is will send another ship.

Gen. Gray: Are you all right?
President Thomas Whitmore: I saw... its thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next. Nuke 'em. Let's nuke the bastards.

The alien does the same mind-link thing it did with Crazy Hair Data with Bill Pullman.  So Bill Pullman isn't just making a crazy assumption.

However, considering that they're making a sequel... it actually presents itself as a plot hole now.

I'm pretty sure there's also a line in the movie that explains how Jeff Goldblum was able to use the Macbook to communicate with the virus.  Something about understanding their computer language or something, but all my movies are already packed up for moving into the new apartment and ID4 isn't on Netflix Streaming... not that I really want to watch the entire movie to listen for one line that I might not be remembering properly, anyhow. ^.^;;
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Inkidu

Quote from: Violence on August 26, 2011, 03:31:48 PM
Gen. Gray: Are you all right?
President Thomas Whitmore: I saw... its thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next. Nuke 'em. Let's nuke the bastards.

The alien does the same mind-link thing it did with Crazy Hair Data with Bill Pullman.  So Bill Pullman isn't just making a crazy assumption.

However, considering that they're making a sequel... it actually presents itself as a plot hole now.

I'm pretty sure there's also a line in the movie that explains how Jeff Goldblum was able to use the Macbook to communicate with the virus.  Something about understanding their computer language or something, but all my movies are already packed up for moving into the new apartment and ID4 isn't on Netflix Streaming... not that I really want to watch the entire movie to listen for one line that I might not be remembering properly, anyhow. ^.^;;
Yep, this.

Sabby

Wait, there was a Soul Gaze in that movie? Huh... unless it's just another thing the President said without anything to back it, then I'll admit I was wrong. Still, termites send out search parties before they claim a new mound >.>

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 03:43:59 PM
Wait, there was a Soul Gaze in that movie? Huh... unless it's just another thing the President said without anything to back it, then I'll admit I was wrong. Still, termites send out search parties before they claim a new mound >.>
I don't know how you back up a painful mind-link with anything other than your eyes, but yeah. Oh, and they did send scouts. They sent one ship with one alien who crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico and sparked off that whole Area 51 thing. However, yeah. They're migratory and they got wiped out.

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 03:43:59 PM

They mind-linked with their tentacles... and... I'm now legally obligated to make a hentai joke, aren't I?

I'm not saying it's awesome writing or anything... but they did cover that problem.  Or at least, they covered it until they decided they were going to make a sequel.  I don't know how another invasion is going to be explained.  Though, to be fair, I don't know that the next movie is even about an invasion.

I'd still say it's easier for me to swallow than Signs or Battle for LA...

Sabby

Here's an idea for an alien invasion. What happens afterwards. They need to have a movie where it begins with the typical invasion already thwarted, and it's about how the world would realistically cope with the complete chaos that would follow, with aliens stranded and dug in, technology circulating, disease spreading, humans turning on each other with the collapse of Government and economy, and the whole time, the aliens themselves are in the exact same boat. They were just soldiers. They're homes gone, they're leaders dead, they're in a strange land where they can get sick and are now being devided by their desperation, the same as we are.

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 04:11:20 PM
Here's an idea for an alien invasion. What happens afterwards. They need to have a movie where it begins with the typical invasion already thwarted, and it's about how the world would realistically cope with the complete chaos that would follow, with aliens stranded and dug in, technology circulating, disease spreading, humans turning on each other with the collapse of Government and economy, and the whole time, the aliens themselves are in the exact same boat. They were just soldiers. They're homes gone, they're leaders dead, they're in a strange land where they can get sick and are now being devided by their desperation, the same as we are.

That's kinda the plot of District 9, isn't it?  Or do you mean kinda more like portrayed as a quagmire with both sides still fighting even though neither side really understands or cares what they're fighting about anymore?

I've always thought similarly about Robot apocalypse movies.  Instead of showing us the human resistance, show me a story like 1000 years after the robots already won... and that's the new civilization.

Sabby

Quote from: Violence on August 26, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
That's kinda the plot of District 9, isn't it?  Or do you mean kinda more like portrayed as a quagmire with both sides still fighting even though neither side really understands or cares what they're fighting about anymore?

I've always thought similarly about Robot apocalypse movies.  Instead of showing us the human resistance, show me a story like 1000 years after the robots already won... and that's the new civilization.

District 9 was more passive then that, I'm talking about the aftermath of something like Independence Day, hell, just use that as the template. The ships have crashed, but the aliens survive in pockets, human population taken a huge hit, and as you say, both stuck in a stalemate fighting for no reason.

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 04:20:27 PM
District 9 was more passive then that, I'm talking about the aftermath of something like Independence Day, hell, just use that as the template. The ships have crashed, but the aliens survive in pockets, human population taken a huge hit, and as you say, both stuck in a stalemate fighting for no reason.

I'm kinda surprised that somebody hasn't made that movie already.  I think it would be kinda cool if you told the story from the perspective of the aliens, too.  Maybe they weren't even invaders they were just colonists and didn't expect anybody to be here.  Language barriers and both sides perceiving acts of aggression prevent them from talking it out.

Sabby

Not to mention one side killed off 70% of the others population. Never goes down well.

Oniya

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Xanatos

The aliens in Independence Day did not kill a majority of the Human population. There were only a few dozen of alien ships. America alone has a dozen+ cities with millions, let alone Europe, China (duh), India (duh), etc etc. Millions died, but nothing that truly set Humanity back. The only things set back were the air-force military branches of the various countries involved. America still has its mighty Navy and Army/Marines!

The aliens did not destroy cities to wipe Humanity out, that was what the armies were for. They destroyed cities to draw in the resistance and wipe it out, or as best they could before the true invasion force came. As for the surviving aliens, there would have been so few, it wouldn't have mattered. Their tech relied largely on the mothership. Their soldiers proved just as weak as Human's, so basically the still largely intact armies of the world would just march in, kick alien ass, and salvage tons and tons of alien tech and be using it inside of twenty years.

Jeff Goldblooms character hacked into the aliens transmissions. Its no different than a hacker getting into things that "supposedly" he shouldn't be able too. Besides, he stumbled into it accidentally, but was smart enough to figure out how to use that to his advantage. Its not beyond the scope of reality, not even by a long shot. If you think about it, base elements and what can be made from them, means the scope of technology is limited (to what degree, who knows), and all forms of technology would have similar principles in how they operate. Some people, like Jeff's char, would be brilliant enough to realize this simple reality.

Independence day is not the best movie to base a fallout type post-alien invasion story off of.

Inkidu

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 26, 2011, 05:55:07 PM
I love that show.
Me too, but having the main character go with the aliens in season 1? Too soon? Could lead to possible suckage later down the line.

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 06:51:26 PM
Me too, but having the main character go with the aliens in season 1? Too soon? Could lead to possible suckage later down the line.

Episode 1 of Season 2 better be freaking amazing, otherwise I foresee them losing a lot of viewers.

Inkidu

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 26, 2011, 06:52:40 PM
Episode 1 of Season 2 better be freaking amazing, otherwise I foresee them losing a lot of viewers.
Yeah, that's why I'm worried. I think they might have rushed this first season. I understand that they wanted to keep people engaged by reveals and all that. However, usually the boarding of the spacecraft for peace negotiations or whatnot is usually an ending stroke. I wonder if they did that for fear of not being renewed.

Also, I kind of noticed that Falling Skies borrows a touch or two out of the Mass Effect playbook. Still, it's nothing horribly overt and it's been tailored.

Sabby

Quote from: Xanatos on August 26, 2011, 06:50:21 PM
The aliens in Independence Day did not kill a majority of the Human population. There were only a few dozen of alien ships. America alone has a dozen+ cities with millions, let alone Europe, China (duh), India (duh), etc etc. Millions died, but nothing that truly set Humanity back. The only things set back were the air-force military branches of the various countries involved. America still has its mighty Navy and Army/Marines!

The aliens did not destroy cities to wipe Humanity out, that was what the armies were for. They destroyed cities to draw in the resistance and wipe it out, or as best they could before the true invasion force came. As for the surviving aliens, there would have been so few, it wouldn't have mattered. Their tech relied largely on the mothership. Their soldiers proved just as weak as Human's, so basically the still largely intact armies of the world would just march in, kick alien ass, and salvage tons and tons of alien tech and be using it inside of twenty years.

Jeff Goldblooms character hacked into the aliens transmissions. Its no different than a hacker getting into things that "supposedly" he shouldn't be able too. Besides, he stumbled into it accidentally, but was smart enough to figure out how to use that to his advantage. Its not beyond the scope of reality, not even by a long shot. If you think about it, base elements and what can be made from them, means the scope of technology is limited (to what degree, who knows), and all forms of technology would have similar principles in how they operate. Some people, like Jeff's char, would be brilliant enough to realize this simple reality.

Independence day is not the best movie to base a fallout type post-alien invasion story off of.

Then don't use it as the setting for the proposed idea :P Just have the foiled invasion leaving humans and aliens in a deadlock with equal numbers and no leadership. It's still a promising idea.

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 07:24:10 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm worried. I think they might have rushed this first season. I understand that they wanted to keep people engaged by reveals and all that. However, usually the boarding of the spacecraft for peace negotiations or whatnot is usually an ending stroke. I wonder if they did that for fear of not being renewed.

Also, I kind of noticed that Falling Skies borrows a touch or two out of the Mass Effect playbook. Still, it's nothing horribly overt and it's been tailored.

That wouldn't surprise me. So many shows these days get prematurely canceled. So if, by some chance, they weren't picked back up, at least they had some kind of ending. It did feel a bit rushed. I would have just fine if they ended it with the failure of the 'blow up' operation and had to retreat.

End of Season Spoilers
Pretty much, the resistance is gone. All the soldiers were in that group are dead and the only ones to survive was their drugged out captain, an ex-con, and a history professor...and maybe a small handful left at the school.

Still, that better be one hell of a first episode for the next season. I don't play Mass Effect, so I can't really compare to that. Even though the ending felt rushed, it was very well done for an 'alien invasion' story. The aliens are complex, the characters interesting, and it wasn't horribly unrealistic (on the human end, what with how the humans band together and split apart based on social classes and military knowledge).

Inkidu

It's just kind of hard to see where they go from there. Though there's one thing I would like to know about the Skitters. I just hope they didn't write themselves into a corner. Speaking of cancellations though. I bet I'll just get into Fox's new show Terra Nova before they decide to cancel it. Fox is evil that way.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Have they just been taking human kids for this long or are their other races' kids in there too?

krakenknight

In light of its recent revival what about Deus ex invisible war and Thief deadly shadows. Both had excellent stories but in an attempt to market on multiple platforms ended up destroying the gameplay of both by oversimplifying it too much. Thief 3 even had linear levels when the first 2 were open range.

Inkidu

Actually, I don't think Invisible War was trying to over-simplify it. You could have had open paths and stats on the Xbox and PS2 easy. I think what they were trying to do was get away from stats and they just didn't have the tech to generate all the possibilities like Human Revolution can.

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on August 27, 2011, 09:20:35 AM
It's just kind of hard to see where they go from there. Though there's one thing I would like to know about the Skitters. I just hope they didn't write themselves into a corner. Speaking of cancellations though. I bet I'll just get into Fox's new show Terra Nova before they decide to cancel it. Fox is evil that way.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Have they just been taking human kids for this long or are their other races' kids in there too?

Yeah, I see it being canceled too, even though it looks interesting.

As for the Skitters...seeing as how the humans only saw the Skitters invading Earth, I think it's safe to assume to those humanoid creatures have done this to more than one planet. And it's also likely that they've never met with a race that's willing to resist them either (or had the means to resist).

krakenknight

Quote from: Inkidu on August 27, 2011, 08:52:12 PM
Actually, I don't think Invisible War was trying to over-simplify it. You could have had open paths and stats on the Xbox and PS2 easy. I think what they were trying to do was get away from stats and they just didn't have the tech to generate all the possibilities like Human Revolution can.

That might explain the skills system getting dumped but what about the inventory screen. The RE4 Attache case model is really immersive and the first game used it well but invisible war's system gave you a tiny number of slots and no way to optimise them. I loved IW's story it may be better than the first's but the gameplay got simplified for no adequate reason. My biggest complaint was how hacking was a black market aug you didn't pick up until the mid game, I mean hacking is the lifebread of stealth guys like me.

Sabby

Not to mention the game engine was atrocious. Great character models and shadows, but the physics, frame rate and controls were all very clunky. Same engine was used for Thief 3. I'm glad they dropped it after that.

krakenknight

Quote from: Sabby on August 28, 2011, 08:46:03 AM
Not to mention the game engine was atrocious. Great character models and shadows, but the physics, frame rate and controls were all very clunky. Same engine was used for Thief 3. I'm glad they dropped it after that.

Agreed, it didn't suit the games that it was used in. I'm sure that it was fine but then Valve released Source and these were the games left holding the old graphics bag. I just have to wonder why they messed it up so badly. Especially in thief where using the physics is part of the fun. I mean the first full T3 level is a really good one but its the only non linear one in the group. I really hope that they take a few physics cues from this new Deus Ex for thi4f. and maybe give us a map that's useful as opposed to, Ye olde piece of crappe

Slaven

Any game designed by the digimon franchise. Good shows, horrid games.

krakenknight

Quote from: Slaven on August 28, 2011, 10:35:32 AM
Any game designed by the digimon franchise. Good shows, horrid games.

I liked Digimon world DS and the sequel. I mean yeah there were weird moments but they were hardly bad.