Brainstorming with Jadewren

Started by Jadewren, March 29, 2011, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jadewren

:-) Hello folks. I believe this is alright for me to run a thread like this yes? Otherwise, I apologize terribly for this mistake.

What I want to do is brainstorm a bit and get a RP concept drawn together that others would be interested in playing. It would not necessarily be a game run just by me, but rather a playable world where others could play together and we could randomly interact.

I'm a big fan of fantasy worlds and magic. I'm not too keen on modern based worlds. Since I live in a modern world and I come online to escape from it I like something more fantastic you know? I do not mind medieval era however. I do love castles and monarchies.

I was thinking of creating a sort of world with demons and dragons and elves and the like can be found. But I think I need a few ideas to create a basic plotline. So what do folks think?
What makes a great story is not that the good guys should win. It is the possibility they may not.

Jadewren

Hmm. Perhaps I need to put a little more info up in order to stir up some interest?

How about this:

A world with waning magic. It is a moderate sized island location with three distinct kingdoms in constant conflict over territories and resources. To the North lays the human kingdom. A place of constant conflict and chaos. Their ruler is a selfish and callous king who cares only for his own comfort and personal agendas. To the south is a land ruled by high elves. Though their realm is quiet small, they make up for it by being the source of the greatest amount of magic users in compare to how few can be found elsewhere.

To the west a series of islands form the third kingdom. Ruled in a loose manner by a pirate king, this kingdom is filled with roving bands of pirates who raid the coasts. The islands prove to be their common meeting grounds for boasting and trade.

There we go. A nice small setting to start out with? I figure dragons will probably be found here and there randomly. And of course drow elves would be located under the elf lands, and dwarves would be living in the human lands >3> Perhaps the humans overtook their lands in some long ago war? Sounds like something the humans would do eh?
What makes a great story is not that the good guys should win. It is the possibility they may not.

Raider

Hi
Nice idea, seems a lot could be done with it.

Just finished reading the ORC set of books and in that world the orcs and other races life with the magic but the humans are the ones destroying it which affects the whole planet / country.

Would love to talk about it with you.

If you have not read the book I would recommend them to you, the Orcs are the good guy .... YAY

HatTrick

I like the idea of this!  Can the human kingdom be a desert---with warring tribes?  Kind of old-school Arabian knights type of thing?  And they're mostly just fighting over different gold/silver/jem mines scattered throughout the north (otherwise no one would want to settle or live there).

Like it?
Sugarpie, check out that sky.

Raider

The human mines are what is distroying the magic. The dwarves are slaves to the humans ( or are they ). The elves as the major users of magic find their once great and benevilant power of the land lessen as the magic drains away are trying to unite the other races, even though many have been enemies in the past, against the growing power of the humans.

Humans = greedy, do not beleive in magic and see all other races as beneath them
Elves = Once benevelant overseers of the land now reduced to using what power they have to hold the other races together againt the humans.
Dwarves = Slaves in the human mines but " may" have hidden motives for letting it seem this way.

Any other races you want to add ?

HatTrick

How about the elf-society is fragmented enough that there are still many elves that have never seen a human.  The humans have been coming in waves, similar to the colonization of America.  The warring desert tribes are a combination of colonizing humans from the mainland to the north (much like the Middle East) and a Europe-like country to the far west.  These two groups are in direct conflict for land and resources within the extensive northern desert, but still manage to trade peacefully within cities (each built around an oasis or rock formation).  The European-style humans continue to attempt to colonize the strange new island land by sending ships (the pirates).  Most of the European-like desert colonies are similar to the Wild West-type villages and attempt to farm in the desert as well as mine.

The human king tries to organize the European-settlers and lives in the European-settler capital trading city and makes all the European settlers pay taxes to him.  The capital city is a very diverse city where beings from all over the island come to trade.   

A line of hostile elves and other dangers have successfully held back the colonization of the south (wild forest and jungle country), despite the fact that it would be easier to farm there and the humans are sure there are precious resources down there as well.   

How about the elves aren't centrally organized.  They live in small family groups.  Like Native Americans almost, they have different nations and tribes that they hold allegiance to, but there is no central nations that controls the other nations.

How about there are tons of other magical beings and creatures living in the southern forests and jungles. 

And how about there are mountains between the desert and the jungles where dragons and other dangerous things live that have also made it hard for the humans to move south.  It would be easier for them to come down from the west (where the European-like humans originally settle) but that's where the elf resistance is strongest.  How about the land near the west where the humans come in is a lot like Lousiana, a billabong/marshy area and the elves are a kind of southern-acting marsh-living tough society.

Raider

Like the idea of the different region types but I think it best to try and keep the number of races to the main few other wise the storyline will start to spin out of control in all directions.

What do you think?

HatTrick

Within the actual roleplay, I totally agree with you.  But how about we start with waaay too much detail now when we're setting up the ground rules and the feel of the island/setting.  Then we can focus in when we actually start. 

How would you organize the island?