Killing Bites (Interest Check)

Started by Broken, April 05, 2018, 06:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken

Killing Bites centers around genetically altered human beings that have been spliced with a single animal, then forced to fight eachother to the death or incapacitate one another before the morning sun rises. The Animals abilities are amplified as they are fused into the human form, example being a Chameleon fused human can fully turn invisible, have a incredibly long tongue, and can partially transform into their animal into a pure hybrid form. These abilities enhance on how far the transformation goes, and as the food chain dictates higher level predators have better chances of winning, but that does not mean a wildcard hybrid can't flip the chances.

I am interested in running a group setting using inspiration from the recent anime and Manga, I would need a couple people to help me set it up and put up some rules and guidelines because I can see quite how this can get out of hand of who decides who wins and who kills each other. Which I'm hoping we can avoid and find some real raunchy scenarios, after all we're just animals.

Some of the characters to give inspiration to you guys

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Honey Badger

Bunny

Tiger and Pangolin

Roleplay Frog

If you want to set up a world you have to decide how complicated a system you want. There's several options from highly complicated rule to simple superpower stone-paper-scissor like guidelines.

Also,as interesting as insane badger girl looks, we all know that the secret favourite will be the sloth.

Kaiser

Quote from: Deva on April 05, 2018, 06:25:24 PM
we all know that the secret favourite will be the sloth.

Or Capybara.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Kaiser on April 05, 2018, 07:21:16 PM
Or Capybara.

I think different animals could inspire a lot of creativity. Like.. don't underestimate the Axolotl,

Those things have unprecedented regenerative abilities, going so far as to:
QuoteSome have indeed been found restoring the less vital parts of their brains. [...]In some cases, axolotls have been known to repair a damaged limb, as well as regenerating an additional one

DON'T MESS WITH THE 'LOTL!

Broken

@Deva&Kaiser

While I could not find a useful thing about the sloth in my research (seriously, it's wiki makes it seem like the weakest creature) The Capybara and Axl both could be useful in different ways. Imagine their abilities exaggerated to the extreme. A hybrid Axl could regenerate almost every time rather quickly, making it really hard to kill. But also the show has used behaviors as powers, and hunting habits as a way to define combat strategy, but as for the Capybara you can even exaggerate the animals ability to make friends with just about anything; such as;

So a Hybrid could quite honestly have a super passive aura, which makes it difficult to want to harm them, or even would want to protect or help them.

As for a system a Rock Paper Scissors sounds like the right way to go, but I'm afraid of possible ridiculous situations that may fall under. Example being a Tiger May fall under Scissors, a Rabbit falling under Paper, but a Armadillo falling under Rock. Again I would need some ideas on how to mitigate this.

Roleplay Frog

Rock paper scissors was a metaphor. *chuckles*. The most simple system I seen in use that actually worked was basically a pokemon-type combined with a set of 'superpowers', as defined by the player and approved by the DM. If you want to keep it less mystical and free form you'll have to write up a rough toolkit for creating stats and picking abilities from categories like defense, offense, strength, speed, smarts, etc. And that ofc raises the question what you want to do with the campaign, have players fight? Run a story? Prepare a sandbox?
All of those need different balancing scales. By the sound of it you kind of want to tap into peoples creativity and that's good, but hard to implement into a 1v1 system without a big chunk of pregenerating work. I'd say the easier setup would be having animal-squad vs XXX run by the DM, where the players can come up with powers and a DM-authority can balance things.
Especially things like the passive helping aura, that's hard to put into numbers in a game engine, it's basically low level mind control, after all.
Simplest approach to use would be pickign 5 valid animals, trying to stat them up, see what you need, perhaps leave room for 1-2 special hybrid powers as you formulate them. For example.. hrmn.. Lion/Axolotl/Tarantula/Rhinoceros/Owl, see how they do. *chuckles*

Furthermore there's accounting for animal instincts and tendencies, for example different focus on senses. having chameleon invisibility powers sounds good, until you face one of the many animals that hunt primarly by scent..
Oh and dun forget to watch This awesome series. :P