Help on setting up a (semi) group game.

Started by Tiaan, April 03, 2012, 06:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiaan

Hello! I've been running some short combat games recently based on a very simple dice system.

There is too much interest for me to play against everyone so I want to set up a kind of group game/tournament with a place where I can list all the character sheets so that people can find and fight against each other, instead of just fighting with my characters.

There would end up being a lot of threads since the fights (so far) have only lasted a maximum of twenty posts, then it's easier to use a new topic for the next fight (since one of the characters dies at the end).

It seems more straightforward to me to just make them one on one threads in the extreme one on one forum but I wanted to make a thread for character sheets where people can list if their character is open to fight, if they've died or if they are currently fighting someone. Also an ooc thread for discussing the system rules and other stuff.

So my question... can I put all of this in the small groups forum? Should I put my ooc and character threads in the small groups forum and have the fights take place in the one on one forum?

I've never run anything other than one on one games so I'm not sure how to go about it!

Thanks in advance! ;D

Beguile's Mistress

You can put all of your threads, Character Sheets and status, IC and OOC in the Small Groups forum for a Small Groups Game.  My suggestion would be to have a common title such as:  "Tiaan's Group Game:  Character Sheets" where the actual name of the game is substituted for Tiann's Group Game.  You can even have a GM's thread for announcements, rules, whatever you feel is needed.

Look around the Small Groups sections of the various game areas see how other GMs handle it to get some examples.

Good luck!

Tiaan

Thankyou! I was thinking to do that initially but I saw the rules say I could have a maximum number of threads twice the number of players and since they are short battles it could end up with many more, one per battle basically. If it's no problem though I'll go ahead and put it all in small groups.

Oniya

Actually, if you're doing a single elimination tournament (since one character dies at the end of each battle), you're limited to having one less battle than the total number of characters.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tiaan

This is true, but I wanted to give people the option of making a new character and fighting again, so they could keep playing, like rolling battles without any overall winner, just keeping a record of a characters 'winning streak', if they manage to survive more than one battle.

Perhaps I should think about making it into an elimination tournement though.