Noir type game

Started by RedEve, December 07, 2014, 09:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy DeVille

I like Ontan's idea about dead sex workers. That's a crime that could draw in cops, PIs, reporters, barkeeps, femme fatales, etc. As for setting, I think LA might be good because of a wealth of films set there and it could be fun to name drop celebrities. It could also open up the story to characters like a studio "fixer," wannabe starlets, etc.

Robelwell202

Quote from: Foxy Oni on December 09, 2014, 11:49:38 AM
I like Ontan's idea about dead sex workers. That's a crime that could draw in cops, PIs, reporters, barkeeps, femme fatales, etc. As for setting, I think LA might be good because of a wealth of films set there and it could be fun to name drop celebrities. It could also open up the story to characters like a studio "fixer," wannabe starlets, etc.

Now, those are some damn fine ideas.  :) LA's geography might be an issue for me, but I can wing it well enough.
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Beguile's Mistress

LA and NY have different geographies but just as much topographical diversity. 

How about a night club outside of town owned and run by a woman who is the singer in the lounge.  She has been blackmailed into allowing illegal gambling in her back rooms.  Maybe she got involved with a young gangster type trying to move up in the mob.  She didn't know he was a criminal but now he has the goods on her after getting her involved in a crime and she has to let him have his way.  Or he is the one who underwrote the financing for her establishment.

A series of murders, or the murder of a cop, is connected to the club and the police come snooping.  Also a young woman has gone missing.  Her family hires a PI to find her and the club is one of the places she is known to have been.

This would all work well with other investigations and crimes and nefarious doings with a mixed plot scenario.

RedEve

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 09, 2014, 01:12:28 PM
LA and NY have different geographies but just as much topographical diversity. 

How about a night club outside of town owned and run by a woman who is the singer in the lounge.  She has been blackmailed into allowing illegal gambling in her back rooms.  Maybe she got involved with a young gangster type trying to move up in the mob.  She didn't know he was a criminal but now he has the goods on her after getting her involved in a crime and she has to let him have his way.  Or he is the one who underwrote the financing for her establishment.

A series of murders, or the murder of a cop, is connected to the club and the police come snooping.  Also a young woman has gone missing.  Her family hires a PI to find her and the club is one of the places she is known to have been.

This would all work well with other investigations and crimes and nefarious doings with a mixed plot scenario.

This, combined with the working girls turning up dead, could make for a serviceable starting point for our plot.

The next step: what archetype does everyone want to play and how do they fit into such a plot.

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Beguile's Mistress

We can add an extra male role by making the blackmail situation the woman's brother being in trouble instead of her or by having the brother owe a huge gambling debt to the mob.  They were going to kill him but his sister is going to get him off the hook by letting the mob use her place.

I can play the the club owner/singer.

Chrystal

*tries to resist*

*flails ans fails*

Okay, I am registering tentative interest. If there is an un-taken spot that needs to be filled, I'll offer my services. Madame of the whore house perhaps? Or the girl behind the counter in the local diner who just happens to be an undercover hit-woman for the Mob (lifted straight from The Sting, which is sort-of on the edge of the Noir genre). Heck, I could just play the girl on lates in the diner if you want, with no hidden agenda at all...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

I have a few concepts for my own character but I would prefer if everyone else expressed their own preference and I will then adapt accordingly.

Would love to have you on board Chrystal. :)

Chrystal

Okay then.

My preference for a character is going to be the young woman who works in the diner from midnight until 9:00 am. She takes the orders, mixes the drinks and serves the food, that is cooked by a fat Italian guy in back.

Red, if you think that her having a "secret agenda" is a good idea, we can talk about it via PM, otherwise, she can just be a simple waitress that people come to for a decent breakfast at a reasonable price, a late night snack, an insomniac's coffee, whatever. People talk to her. She sees things and hears things.

So yeah, basically a "Key Witness"!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Ontan

Quote from: Foxy Oni on December 09, 2014, 11:49:38 AM

I also like his idea.
... *cough*

Quote from: RedEve on December 10, 2014, 07:03:57 AM
I have a few concepts for my own character but I would prefer if everyone else expressed their own preference and I will then adapt accordingly.

Like I said, alcoholic widower detective! You know the type: obsessive, self-destructive, and just a bit clichéd. It wouldn't be Noir without it.

Naturally, I'm happy to share the policing role with a partner / crime squad.

Chrystal

Quote from: Ontan on December 10, 2014, 08:44:26 AM
Like I said, alcoholic widower detective! You know the type: obsessive, self-destructive, and just a bit clichéd. It wouldn't be Noir without it.

Naturally, I'm happy to share the policing role with a partner / crime squad.

Eddie Valiant!

Yeah, it wouldn't be Noir without that character, but I think the fact that other people want to play detective too shouldn't be a problem?

There's the drunken private dick, there's the bumbling police sergeant who wouldn't know a clue if it hit him in the face, there's the police lieutenant who is the PI's old buddy and gets him out of a jam, there's the uniform beat cop on the corner who is the one who ends up making the arrest,  There's the rival (and perhaps slightly dodgy) detective agency who are perhaps a little more involved than they strictly ought to be.,..

Plenty of scope for investigators. Not to mention the FBI getting involved!

Damn. I only just noticed. That's Ming The Merciless in the background of that pic!

Foxy DeVille

My rough character idea...

A gal who came to the city with big dreams. She wanted to be a star but was hindered by one problem... a lack of talent. But she managed to catch the eye of (insert local politician/mobster/union boss/studio head/real estate tycoon/whatever). For the last few years she's been his mistress and showered with gifts, including her swank pad. But there's also a dark side... a bad temper, deviant appetites, and a willingness to loan her out to help seal a deal. She wants out but she know he'd kill her because she knows too much. And how could she go back to being a nobody again?

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on December 10, 2014, 09:03:10 AM
Eddie Valiant!

Yeah, it wouldn't be Noir without that character, but I think the fact that other people want to play detective too shouldn't be a problem?

There's the drunken private dick, there's the bumbling police sergeant who wouldn't know a clue if it hit him in the face, there's the police lieutenant who is the PI's old buddy and gets him out of a jam, there's the uniform beat cop on the corner who is the one who ends up making the arrest,  There's the rival (and perhaps slightly dodgy) detective agency who are perhaps a little more involved than they strictly ought to be.,..

Plenty of scope for investigators. Not to mention the FBI getting involved!

Damn. I only just noticed. That's Ming The Merciless in the background of that pic!

Another one: the by-the-book teetotaler.

Clio

I could play one of the prostitutes that is now in danger from whoever is murdering the girls. She could play up this bravado, thinking she's fine and not in danger...but finds out she's wrong. Perhaps she survives one of his attacks, and she's the police's key witness? And the guy wants to come back to finish the job?

EDIT: After I posted, I realized that Chrystal suggested her girl being a key witness as well. :P Oops.
Signature by the amazing Amaris.

Chrystal

The more key witnesses, the better!

Especially if we make sure our stories don't match. Let's give the investigators the run-around, with lots of crimson kippers!

Ascia

Any room for a female mobster?

Chrystal

Quote from: Ascia on December 11, 2014, 03:17:03 PM
Any room for a female mobster?

Only if she pays for her breakfast!

*snigger*

EnglishMaster

A character that becomes me: the lounge pianist.  He plays everything by ear.  He's not handsome, but his face has character.  He seems to be staring into nothing, but knows many people's secrets.  Illegal bets are placed through him, sometimes disguised as song requests and tips.  Let me know if he'd be welcome: many plot trails can pass through him :) 

Chrystal

Hi EM, our paths cross again!

*chuckles* Given that other one-on-one you just started with Becca, I would have thought you would have gone for a saxophonist...?

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: EnglishMaster on December 11, 2014, 05:31:47 PM
A character that becomes me: the lounge pianist.  He plays everything by ear.  He's not handsome, but his face has character.  He seems to be staring into nothing, but knows many people's secrets.  Illegal bets are placed through him, sometimes disguised as song requests and tips.  Let me know if he'd be welcome: many plot trails can pass through him :) 

He could work in the club out by the lake. ;D

Green Goo Theory

Could maybe include a crime novelist in the area sticking his nose into places it doesn't belong.  Plenty of reason to stick around and be there (or a script writer as well for the hollywood types), plenty of room for depth, could be fun...

It also gives me something to work with beyond the ex-military thing that initially came to mind.
Coming soon...

EnglishMaster

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 11, 2014, 06:57:38 PM
He could work in the club out by the lake. ;D
That he could.  And...Chrystal...I believe he does play a little sax, but only with friends :)

Chrystal

*giggles*

Bass, Tenor, Alto or *eep* Soprano?

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on December 12, 2014, 12:40:36 AM
Could maybe include a crime novelist in the area sticking his nose into places it doesn't belong.  Plenty of reason to stick around and be there (or a script writer as well for the hollywood types), plenty of room for depth, could be fun...

It also gives me something to work with beyond the ex-military thing that initially came to mind.

Someone's been watching "Castle"? *chuckle*

Do we have a journalist yet? The ubiquitous newspaper hack, in relentless pursuit of that ever illusive scoop...

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Chrystal on December 12, 2014, 05:20:45 AM
*giggles*

Bass, Tenor, Alto or *eep* Soprano?

Someone's been watching "Castle"? *chuckle*

Do we have a journalist yet? The ubiquitous newspaper hack, in relentless pursuit of that ever illusive scoop...

Castle hadn't even come to mind, actually.  This would have taken a far darker route as a writer with far less official strings to pull.  Also probably not as funny as Fillion/Castle would be either (I just don't know if I could be!). 

Mostly 'cause the idea I've been trying to play for years would definitely fall into the realm of DM control/NPC.  So, probably not going to even try that one.
Coming soon...

Beguile's Mistress

A thought about the journalist in this setting...

He publishes a story that makes the headlines and goes national when it's picked up by the wire services.  He had done all the interviews and verifications necessary and his editor and publisher backed him fully because of his reputation for journalistic integrity.  However, even as he's lauded by the journalistic community and on track to receive a major award, possibly a Pulitzer, word begins to circulate that he based his story on lies.  He is now in disgrace, on the road to ruining his life with alcohol and yet still trying to clear his name.

RedEve

So with the amount of people who have expressed interest, this might turn into a decently sized game.

With that in mind, would any of you be interested in a co-GM role?