A new board idea.. "This Magic Moment".. or something like it.

Started by Kalen, February 22, 2008, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalen

Just before slipping off to sleep, I was thinking about the 'Threddies' board, and how it's rarely used.  And then it hit me.. I think we should add something to that area.

My idea is this.. a board named 'This Magic Moment'.  The concept behind this board isn't to showcase threads, per se.. but moments.  Individual posts.  For example, you are reading a thread, and something just leaps out at you.. a juicy plot twist, a particularly stunning bit of writing.. a lasting image.  Whatever the case would be.

If this board existed, you could then go there, and post a thread about it.  The format would be to post it under the name of the thread, and to link TO the thread.. then to discuss what you liked about that post, or the thread, or what have you. 

The threads in the threddies, for example.. there are many more people reading about those threads than just the authors, in most cases.  So.. why not a place to discuss them?  At the very least, it would help build a sense of community, by bringing good writing to other people's attention.. getting people to read each other's work.  Things they might have missed.

If it were me choosing where to put this, in your board structure.. I'd take 'Threddies' and 'Magic Moments' and make them subforums of one master category.. um.. no idea what that would be called at the moment, but I wouldn't have to make that decision. 

What does everyone think?

Moondazed

I think that's a very interesting idea!  I don't have a lot of free time to read threads I don't post in, but when I have some I often wish there was a way to know which ones were 'good'.  Not that all of them aren't worth reading :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Elvi

*nods*

Funnily enough, there have been the odd occasion, when I have read something and thought 'I'd love to post that somewhere'.
(Including one post of mine, that I was so proud of, that I cut and pasted it to keep it....*laughs*)

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Trieste

How about something simple for the board name. "E Showcase" or something. I'd say "Parts of E That Totally Rulezor More Than the Rest of E" but that seems slightly excessive for a board name ...

I like the idea a lot, though.

Sherona

I actually love this idea. Sometimes I come across a particularly interesting post and while if I am reading a story religiously it means I am probably going to end up posting a threadie to it...it would stll be nice to be able to point out "This particular post shows a depth of character' blah blah blah :)

Hmm Wonder how one would be able to sa in a limited space like the SB "Parts of E. that totally Rulezors more then the rest of E." Int he SB...."I went and posted in Parts..."

Modify:

Oh, and yes this might also be a place we can tout (is that the proper word?) our writing partners a bit more then we can....posting one'sown story in threadies seems a bit..Narcissitic but there have been times in just about each of my stories I am in that I have said "Wow..that was a really really great post by x partner" but aside from playing Fan girl to people I chat with about those writng partners not much of a way to really brag about a post they did :)

Trieste

PoE for short. *nodnod*

Edit: Maybe name the whole board "Magic Moments"... then name the one for whole threads "Threddies" and the one for posts "Snapshots".

Kalen

Ok.. this is very cool.  I never imagined that the idea would catch on so quickly!

I'm.. kinda excited  :-* ;D

Cherri Tart

oh ,yes! there are times when a single post just wows you, and this would be perfect way to share that :D
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caeli

There's nothing I can add that others haven't already, so...

I think this is an excellent idea. :D
While I like the "Threddies" Board, sometimes it's daunting to read stories that are... well... really long. Having a "Magic Moment" or "Snapshot" sort of place would be nice, because then you could read an interesting snippet, which might well interest you enough to keep going, or continue reading a story that was in its fledgling stages. :]
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

Would there be some reason not to just make the board Threddies and Magic Moments?

The Moments and Snapshots would have to be PG-13, of course.

Moondazed

That sounds like a decent reason not to blend them :P  Oh!  Sorry... I confess that the erotica is a lot of the reason I like this place :P
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Kalen

I would tend to agree with Moondazed on that point.. some of the things that people would want to highlight would indeed likely as not be.. sexual in nature.  If it were up to me.. and it's not.. I'd want it on a board where posters would not have to hold back.

Elvi

Then it's simple.

One thread in 'on topic' where sexual posts can be made and put a link in the threadies thread.
Those who are full members cannot access those areas, even through links, until they have gained full membership.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building