Wanted: One Graphic Artist

Started by Valerian, April 20, 2009, 03:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

I'm absolutely, positively not a graphic artist myself -- or indeed any kind of artist -- but I have to pretend to be one at work.  What I'm trying to do is set up little monthly logos for the newsletter of upcoming books that we send out to our stores.  It's just a little four-page thing, but it's popular among the employees and the regular customers, and I want it to look decent.

The upper left corner, a space a little less than two and a half inches square, needs to contain the name of our stores and the month and year.  I use Publisher, so I play with the Word Art features and such, plus border art and clip art, to try to make something halfway professional looking.

Trouble is, I can picture good ideas and arrangements, but my execution of said ideas is... a little lacking.  For one thing, I lack certain tools that would probably be a huge amount of help, seeing as my boss is too cheap to buy anything like Photoshop.  A second problem is that he won't spring for printing these things in color, only on colored paper.

So could anyone give me any hints as to the technical aspects?  Point me to a useful website, perhaps, that offers up advice and assistance to the artistically challenged?  My repertoire right now is pretty limited, and I'm tired of the same old look to these logos, so any suggestions on livening them up would be appreciated.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

If your boss is too cheap for photoshop, you could try to convince him to get you Paint Shop Pro, which is a fairly decent substitute.

The GIMP has a lot of Photoshop's less advanced feature like layers, etc. though it's not quite as easy to use. It may actually be more powerful than PSP as I haven't used the latest versions of that.

consortium11

paint.net is another (very) simple, free version of photo/paintshop, although I believe gimp is probably better.

Trieste

And I do have Photoshop, so if you need help from that, I'll be happy to help you. I'm not a whiz at it by any stretch but I'm all right.

Caeli

If you're going to be making logos, I actually would recommend Adobe Illustrator, as it works with vectors, as opposed to coordinates. But again, the price thing, so...

I've heard that GIMP, while it is still unwieldy and not comparable to Photoshop, is still pretty good. For simple work like black/white logos, it should really be sufficient. -nods-
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

And you can always add texture with thin diagonal lines.  Take a look at the week-day comics in the newspapers for some techniques.

(Having said that, there should be some kind of 'aid to sequential artists' out there...)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

Quote from: Caeli on April 20, 2009, 04:14:03 PM
If you're going to be making logos, I actually would recommend Adobe Illustrator, as it works with vectors, as opposed to coordinates. But again, the price thing, so...
I have no idea what the difference is between vectors and coordinates.  Heh.  But thanks much for all the help so far, everyone.   :-)

To start with, I may just try GIMP -- I'll never really need (or have the courage to try) anything truly advanced, and as far as I can tell from the tutorials I'm finding, the basic stuff isn't too bad.  I can't tell if it allows for different fonts and other styles for text, though -- can anyone enlighten me on that?
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

Quote from: Valerian on April 20, 2009, 05:20:05 PM
I have no idea what the difference is between vectors and coordinates.  Heh.  But thanks much for all the help so far, everyone.   :-)

To start with, I may just try GIMP -- I'll never really need (or have the courage to try) anything truly advanced, and as far as I can tell from the tutorials I'm finding, the basic stuff isn't too bad.  I can't tell if it allows for different fonts and other styles for text, though -- can anyone enlighten me on that?

...yes, it does, silly :-p

Valerian

Hey, I never heard of GIMP before, you know.  Or rather, I'd heard of it, but had no idea what it actually did.  Heh.  I'm mostly stumbling around right now, but I'll catch on eventually.  I hope.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

Quote from: Valerian on April 20, 2009, 05:35:25 PM
Hey, I never heard of GIMP before, you know.  Or rather, I'd heard of it, but had no idea what it actually did.  Heh.  I'm mostly stumbling around right now, but I'll catch on eventually.  I hope.

There are plenty of people you can ping for assistance. Just make sure you specify the kind of gimp on a site like this : )

Caeli

xD

The difference between vectors and coordinates. I don't know how it's technically explained, but it means that with coordinates, you're specifying a certain size for your image; with vectors, you're specifying the shape, so that if you decide to resize it larger or smaller, there is no loss in the quality of your image.

I'm fairly certain there are GIMP tutorials on Youtube, though :O or simply google "GIMP tutorials ____" for whatever specific action you want to accomplish. Video tutorials are really great when you want visual, step-by-step instructions for doing things :)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Trieste

Valerian, if you want to play around with pretty fonts, I've never had a problem with 1001freefonts dot com.

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Valerian

Ooh, yeah, I need fonts, the prettier the better.  *goes to investigate*  Thanks!
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE