How would you go about recognizing a singer from a song?

Started by jouzinka, July 06, 2014, 03:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jouzinka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQyRdRPqW3A

I watched this video and I am just drawn to the song and the singer who sings it.

Unfortunately for me, the song is called "Flower of Magherally" and it's a classic folk song, so there are countless versions out there.  :-\

I tried Shazam, but it doesn't recognize singing, only the guitar and that's apparently not prominent enough, and Audiotag.info, but they only have about a million songs in database, so no result.

Halp, please?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Oniya

Perhaps contact the uploader and ask them which version of the song they used?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jouzinka

I did. No response.

Edit: so did other people before me on the video, as long as 11 months ago. The creator answered other comments before or after that, but never sharing info about the song.

Oniya

That's always a shame - makes me wonder if they even know, or bothered to ask the recording artist for permission.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dale

I searched google for suggestions of the album the tune could be taken from - it came up with Altan. One of the commentators said it was Altan. I don't think it's the same voice though. It would be someone very well known in the commercial market that's all I can suggest is to look at top folk albums at or prioe to the date the commercial was produced.
Lock

jouzinka

Good idea. Thanks!

Failing all programs I will comb folk albums.

I shall unravel this mystery. >:)

Kye

What about this? I listened to a half dozen or so and this is the closest I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfbL6ZV9Rw

Dale

That sounds like the same voice Kyrsa. Very well done. I'm as certain as I can be that you found it.

Hmm, jouzinka, maybe you could confirm it with the singer if you inform her that her copyright has possibly been infringed. You may not want to shop them but that'd be a way, I think, to get positive confirmation from the singer.

Lock

jouzinka

Quote from: Kyrsa on July 06, 2014, 10:27:22 PM
What about this? I listened to a half dozen or so and this is the closest I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfbL6ZV9Rw
Quote from: Lock on July 07, 2014, 02:35:44 PM
That sounds like the same voice Kyrsa. Very well done. I'm as certain as I can be that you found it.

Hmm, jouzinka, maybe you could confirm it with the singer if you inform her that her copyright has possibly been infringed. You may not want to shop them but that'd be a way, I think, to get positive confirmation from the singer.

Lock
Thank you, darlings. :-*

Shewolf

I can't find her actually singing it, but to me it sounds a lot like Loreena McKennit.