The Salonbox -For Exploration by Discussion

Started by The Great Triangle, May 30, 2008, 12:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Paradox on June 06, 2008, 01:26:36 PM
They act in certain ways that they know will make the average person on the street uncomfortable. You're right, however. You did specify that it was the people "in your area". Sorry about that.

Well, I'm sure that some of the ways in which I act will make the average person on the street uncomfortable but I do not do this to make them that way.  I do this because that's who I am and I like to stay true to myself.  True, some of them do it do get under people's skin and I find those types extremely annoying because most of the time they're not even being themselves. 
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Really, the choice is a lot nastier if you have to go by one extreme or another.  You'd either be required to find a society you think represents your personal behavioral preferences, or live without the benefit of an external support structure to be true to yourself.

I think the question is relevant to the way people live their lives, and if I had to face the false dilemma I enumerated, I'd most likely go with living entirely by instinct, even of that does get me chased out of town with torches and pitchforks every so often.  A destructive anarchy would be preferable to stifling order in my opinion.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 06, 2008, 01:46:59 PM
Really, the choice is a lot nastier if you have to go by one extreme or another.  You'd either be required to find a society you think represents your personal behavioral preferences, or live without the benefit of an external support structure to be true to yourself.

I think the question is relevant to the way people live their lives, and if I had to face the false dilemma I enumerated, I'd most likely go with living entirely by instinct, even of that does get me chased out of town with torches and pitchforks every so often.  A destructive anarchy would be preferable to stifling order in my opinion.

I just feel the way by beloved favorite philosophers did, you have to find a middle ground.  Any extreme is unhealthy.
Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

I find that extremes are very useful hypotheticals for acquiring meaning.  To say that something is lukewarm means nothing unless you know what hot and cold are, even if you never directly encounter anything absolutely hot or cold, since it would hurt like hell.

Ons and Offs

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 06, 2008, 01:51:38 PM
I find that extremes are very useful hypotheticals for acquiring meaning.  To say that something is lukewarm means nothing unless you know what hot and cold are, even if you never directly encounter anything absolutely hot or cold, since it would hurt like hell.

That is a good observation and they are useful but I would perfer not to live my life in the extremes.  I can use them to define things.  Talk about them and study them.  But I really am a middle ground type of person.  Now of course there are those things that do not have middle ground and those I just normally do not like.
Ons and Offs

Paradox

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 06, 2008, 01:51:38 PM

I've lived both extremes of our society, to a certain extent. When I was younger, I was a devout christian...so much so that I wanted to become a priest. Fast forward five years and I was in trouble with the law for substance abuse and larceny charges.

That being said, I've found that the middle ground is a good place to be. I had to learn my lessons the hard way, but that's the best way to ensure that they're learned. I know what hot is, and I know what cold is. I'll take lukewarm any day.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Paradox on June 06, 2008, 02:04:58 PM
I've lived both extremes of our society, to a certain extent. When I was younger, I was a devout christian...so much so that I wanted to become a priest. Fast forward five years and I was in trouble with the law for substance abuse and larceny charges.

That being said, I've found that the middle ground is a good place to be. I had to learn my lessons the hard way, but that's the best way to ensure that they're learned. I know what hot is, and I know what cold is. I'll take lukewarm any day.

*hugs Para for being so great* 
Ons and Offs

Paradox

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

ShrowdedPoet

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

I live by instinct.  I think that's pretty obvious *laughs* as I refuse to be "the norm" or "conformed"...I do my own thing, but I also have morals which do not allow me to be so far from "the norm".

Greenthorn

New Topic Time!!

When chatting with people online, do you create a mental picture of them?  And if so, does it feel strange when you find out what they do really look like?

I've learned my lesson a long time ago with this, and now I associate people only with the avatars they use to represent themselves with.

Cutter

Pretty much me as well.

Except I'm devastatingly handsome in RL.

As in you look at me and I devastate your eyes. :P
I am the Dark Unspoken that dwells within, weighted by the chains of your preconceptions. Release me and I shall release you.

My On's and Off's :

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13915.0

Caeli

Typically I don't form any mental pictures of people that I meet online - I just associate him or her with the avatar they use to represent themselves. It is interesting to learn what people look like in real life though. Have to admit, I rarely pass around my picture, and I don't have a myspace or any other website that has my real picture on it... ^^
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Bliss

I definitely create mental pictures of people as I communicate with them; it tends to come naturally in any environment, be it talking online, or listening to an artist on the radio whose image I haven't yet seen plastered across a magazine.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Greenthorn

New Topic Time:

How do you do your posts?

Me, I copy them into Microsoft Works and save them.  Usually I can open one up and reply right away..but one of my stories, I actually have to work on paragraph by paragraph...usually saving it and going back many times before it's done and can be posted.

Elohim

It really depends on the game I'm writing for really,  some require short posts.  I usually just write it up in this little text box here,  but there are a couple where I open up word perfect,  have a smoke,  maybe a little drink and just go at it.  I do generally try to get said post done in one sitting, if not sometimes my reaction maybe slightly different making the responce seem kind of disjointed.

Caeli

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 07, 2008, 11:30:35 AM
New Topic Time:

How do you do your posts?

I usually just write them straight into the window after you click the "reply" button. Even though some of my threads require longer posts, I'm pretty loathe to open up Microsoft Word to type up a response, mostly because I often refer back to the information in the thread itself, and it's a bit of a hassle to keep going back and forth, back and forth. Since I usually leave my computer on to download and torrent things, if my reply isn't finished in one go, then I just leave my reply window open in Firefox and come back to it later.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Maeven

*nods at Seraph* Depends on the game.  If it's a short post, then I'll just type the reply directly in the reply field.  If it requires more thought, I will copy and paste the last post into word, and work on it there. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

The Great Triangle

Everything goes into the reply feild for me, I suppose that's why I never have extremely long posts. 

I generally prefer to knock out my posts quickly really.

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

New Topic:

How many games/stories are you in?  And do you feel it's enough?  Why or why not?

Me...

Nine on Elliquiy.  I like to say it's -not- enough...but thankfully I do have a voice of reason saying "no more"  *laughs*.  I had a few more which I had to end for various reasons, but find that sometimes I get really bored and wish for more.

Tant de Tentation

Approximately twenty at any given time--tons on my site (I typically make something like 10-20 posts a day there, though I've been slacking lately due to real life); a few on my two other sites (more biweekly there); and one here.  Perhaps a few more soon, but since I'm so heavily involved in other sites' plots, this may just be my 'guilty pleasures' site... unless I hook into a really good longterm plot soon--I think I will. In which case I will be so busy that insanity, already my norm, may become my only guard against, well, insanity.

Short answer: too many. 

Sam bites off more than she can chew--a good thing for the person she's bitten it off of, because they're better able to reattach it afterwards.  Isn't that a happy thought?
"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
--Aristotle

My ONs and OFFs
TNT's crazy intro thread.

Captain Maltese

I'm ashamed to say 33. Ashamed, because 30 of them await my reply and most have waited for the last three weeks or more. Some will never go on anyway because the cowriter hasn't been seen online since she made her last post, but...way too many of them are with people I like a lot and are great stories too, and it hurts to know I'm not giving back what I got.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Storiwyr

Quote from: CptCalico on June 09, 2008, 04:50:53 AM
I'm ashamed to say 33. Ashamed, because 30 of them await my reply and most have waited for the last three weeks or more. Some will never go on anyway because the cowriter hasn't been seen online since she made her last post, but...way too many of them are with people I like a lot and are great stories too, and it hurts to know I'm not giving back what I got.

*hugs* Take your time, Captain. Your posts are always worth the wait.
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

Caeli

My problem is similar to Captain's, but reversed. I currently have thirteen active roleplays - fourteen, meaning I have yet to give a response, but it will happen soon (after finals, promise!), or somebody else has yet to give me a response, but they've informed me why they are taking so long, so I know it's still being continued.

However, I also have six more roleplays that are stalled, or the members haven't logged on in weeks, so.. they're on hold. *shrugs*

When I get busy like I have this quarter, I get frantic about replying, but due to the nature of my posting style (long and detailed, posting every 1-3 days), sometimes I'm flooded with replies, and sometimes I'm too free. ^^; Oh well. At the moment, I feel satisfied, especially since there are a few that I am really enjoying, and one in the works that I am looking forward to, very much.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Greenthorn

New Topic:

Is anyone else going to come up with discussion questions or just me?

Do you prefer stories based on real life scenarios, or purely fictional settings?

Me, RL is easier to write, but I like fictional stories.  It seems though that even my werewolf games, I'm always the human...lack of imagination on my part I suppose.