Why Conservatives Are Really Afraid of a Black President

Started by The Overlord, October 10, 2009, 12:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chea

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 11, 2009, 03:31:36 PM
I think it is naive to claim racism plays no role in the antipathy from some quarters toward Obama.  And it is disingenuous at the least to label principled criticism of Obama policies "racist."

Having said all that, I think there's a deeper issue here: America as it exists today has hit an economic asymptote, primarily because of the oil shortage, but significantly because we had fiscal and monetary policies that are simply unsustainable.  Much of the economic "growth" of this decade was predicated on the notion that houses are a magical font of wealth, forever destined to appreciate and spit out new pools, RVs and home theaters for their owners.  This idea contravenes the laws of thermodynamics: a nailed-together collection of wood, vinyl and glass out in the sun, wind and rain gets LESS valuable over time as it wears down--not more.

To an extent, I think Obama has become a focal point for the increasing angst the American public is feeling as it comes to grips with the reality that we as a nation really stopped progressing at least a decade ago, and that the prospects for further growth are rather dim for some time to come.There has to be somebody to blame, and it's easier to attach the blame to a black man with a funny name that it is to question the cherished assumptions of American capitalism and exceptionalism.

Very well put, couldn't've said it better myself.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 11, 2009, 03:35:37 PM
One of my clients is an 82 year old retired white male who worked the phones for two months supporting Obama.

I never said all old people are racist.  :P

Cythieus

Someone passed me this site a while back, its somewhat frightening that one of their main issues is this:

QuoteThe state of the white race in the West confronts us with a horror unprecedented in the annals of human history. Demographers predict whites will be a minority in the United States in 40 years and in Western Europe shortly after. Since the West condones interracial breeding, there is a serious prospect that the white race as we know it will disappear in the next two or three centuries.

And when asked why preserve white society:

QuoteWhite societies are worth preserving not merely because of the inherent value of ethnic autonomy, but also because of the precious uniqueness of Western culture, which only whites have succeeded in creating.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Odin on October 11, 2009, 04:53:00 PM
Someone passed me this site a while back, its somewhat frightening that one of their main issues is this:

And when asked why preserve white society:

Rather dismal, to say the least...

Cythieus

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 11, 2009, 05:20:26 PM
Rather dismal, to say the least...

Racism in any form is dismal. I've got some racist family members who frankly show just as much intolerance as they claim that white people do so its an across the board problem. My brother's mother-in-law actually got mad at someone for dating and marrying a white woman. She didn't cover it up, she stated it out right. I think the one hope for the future is the fact that it slowly seems to be changing and turning around.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Odin on October 11, 2009, 05:23:16 PM
Racism in any form is dismal. I've got some racist family members who frankly show just as much intolerance as they claim that white people do so its an across the board problem. My brother's mother-in-law actually got mad at someone for dating and marrying a white woman. She didn't cover it up, she stated it out right. I think the one hope for the future is the fact that it slowly seems to be changing and turning around.

:nods:

I'm white, and have taken more than my share of heat from certain quarters for dating black women.  My conclusion is that God made the human body so there's a middle finger for a reason...

The Overlord

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 11, 2009, 05:31:08 PM
:nods:

I'm white, and have taken more than my share of heat from certain quarters for dating black women.  My conclusion is that God made the human body so there's a middle finger for a reason...

In my experience you don’t even have to be dating them, being a white guy and just publicly seen with a black woman, and people automatically draw all kinds of opinions and bias.

Just remember god gave us two middle fingers. Sometimes one just doesn’t make the point harshly enough.

Cythieus

Quote from: The Overlord on October 12, 2009, 01:59:59 PM
In my experience you don’t even have to be dating them, being a white guy and just publicly seen with a black woman, and people automatically draw all kinds of opinions and bias.

Just remember god gave us two middle fingers. Sometimes one just doesn’t make the point harshly enough.

A friend of mine and I were very close, she's also white and I look more black than not. When we used to go out in San Antonio to do things, we wouldn't even be touching and people would stare and look and sometimes just give us dirty looks. And its not just whites, don't get that idea. The worst were other black women, they would really seem angry or something some of the time. People would ask, "how do you know that's why?"

On two occasions she was in the bathroom and I was at a table in a restaurant. We had a female waitress, who was black and upon seeing me, she would seem chipper, happy and friendly. When my friend returned she would pretty much become cold and rude. When I pointed this out to my friend she exacerbated the issue by hanging off me, snuggling up against me and one time she kissed me.

Another friend of mine who is dating an Asian woman has had similar experiences.