The Princess Bride

Started by Valerian, July 14, 2013, 12:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

The Rules:

Since this is a Mafia game, any player can lie, deceive, or mislead as much as they think they can get away with, all in the name of having fun.  Please don't quote anything directly from any PMs you might send or receive regarding the game; but any information you might get that way can be repeated in your own words as much as you like.

The traditional day/night cycle will remain.  The first night, one of the Florin Peasants (an NPC) will die!  The next day, the players will vote first on a Mayor as a tiebreaking role.  There will then be a vote on a player to be removed.  That night, another will die at the hands of the Villains (unless someone happens to intervene), and so on.

Should you happen to conspire with others via private message, please remember to include me in the loop.

Please do not vote to lynch yourself.  Also, I ask that all players vote in every lynch.  If you know that you will be unable to vote in a particular round due to absence, etc., please let me know as soon as possible.  Also, please put your votes, whether for Mayor or for the lynch, in bold.  Votes may be changed up until the final result is officially announced.

The Roles:

Florin Peasants: The townspeople.  They must attempt to save themselves through the power of the lynch vote.

The Mayor: An elected role.  If the lynch votes are tied, this role has the power to break that tie.

The Lovers: Westley and Buttercup, of course!  Since this is an assigned pairing rather than one randomly chosen by the Cupid, the win condition for the Lovers is different than the usual.  They are both good-aligned roles and share the win condition with the Peasants, that of lynching or otherwise removing all the Villains.  The Lovers can trust each other implicitly.  If either Lover is killed, however, either by lynching or during the night phase, the other Lover will also die of a broken heart. (See also The Doctor.)

The Bodyguard: Fezzik, the gentle giant.  This role can choose one person to protect from the Villains during the night phase.  They can also protect themselves, though they may not protect the same person two nights in a row.  If the person being protected is targeted by the Vigilante, then the Bodyguard and the Vigilante will kill each other.

The Vigilante: Inigo Montoya, the Spaniard.  This role can, once per game, choose a person to target and kill during the night phase.  The target will die unless protected by the Bodyguard, in which case both Vigilante and Bodyguard will die in the ensuing fight.

The Spy: Vizzini, the Sicilian.  Some call you ruthless, some mad, but you know things about people, and you're willing to share that information for the right price.  (Note that this is a good-aligned role, despite the character.)  This role can investigate one other person during each night phase and will gain information about that person's role.  They will only learn if the role is good or evil, however -- no specific roles such as "the Bodyguard" will be given, only Innocent or Villain.

The Doctor: Miracle Max.  After the night target is chosen, this role has the option to intervene (once and only once) and save the target from death at the hands of the Villains.  If Miracle Max chooses to save the target, the target's name will then be revealed to Miracle Max; if not, Miracle Max will not know who the target was unless or until it is revealed during the day phase.  If Westley is successfully targeted by the Villains (that is, if the Bodyguard is not protecting Westley) and Miracle Max is still alive and has not yet used his ability, then Westley will automatically be revived and both he and Buttercup will survive.  Miracle Max cannot save Westley from dying of a broken heart if Buttercup is killed, however, just as he cannot save Buttercup from the same fate.

The Priest: The Impressive Clergyman.  Once per game, this role may choose to intervene in a lynch by testing the potential victim for innocence.  If the target is innocent, that person is spared from death.  If the target is guilty, the lynch proceeds as normal.

The Villains: The unholy alliance of the scheming Prince Humperdinck, the ruthless Count Rugen, and the mysterious Albino.  Your goal is to eliminate all other players using your night ability and be the only players left standing -- and of course to start a war with Guilder.

The Players:

Beguile's Mistress
Dim Hon
Falanor
Geeklet
James Moriarty
Josietta
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Remiel
persephone325
That Girl Analise
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Some sig images for anyone who wants them.  ;D

[float=left][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=179597.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/1/12/PBSigImage1.gif[/img][/url][/float]

[float=left][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=179597.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/c/c8/PBSigImage2.gif[/img][/url][/float]
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Welcome to the Great Square of Florin City!  It's a beautiful day, of course, and time to choose a new Mayor.  Everyone feel free to mingle, and please don't forget to cast your ballots.  Vote early, vote often!
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

persephone325

Persephone idled about, enjoying the beautiful day that had fallen upon the city. Today was a special day. The day the people were to elect a new Mayor. He, or she, would be the one to protect them from the evil villains who had weaseled their way into the quaint city.

Well, the most logical choice would be to vote for someone level-headed, calm, and who wouldn't make hasty decisions... She thought to herself as she mulled over the candidates.

Hmm... Well Dim Hon fits the criteria perfectly in my opinion. Sephie decided, and made her way to cast her vote.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Josietta

Miss Josietta had been at the market that day purchasing and bartering for various goods. Her basket was full of fruit and vegetables along with a few rolls of fabric for knitting and sewing.  She stopped for flowers as well thinking of how nice it would look in that vase on the table near the dining area. The time had come to vote in a new Mayor as well and she had to think long and hard about who would be well enough for the job to keep the order in the city and move things forward as they needed to. A city as busy as theirs would need that guidance and she was all for getting that position filled as soon as they could.

Dropping by the voting ballot on her way through to the town square she wrote on a slip of parchment her own vote and cast it in with the others. With any luck James Moriarty could help them stay on track and keep the city from crumbling under the pressures of chaos. With her vote cast she slipped off to drop the basket of goods at the church and paid her respects staying to have dinner with those there, who obviously didn't get much in the way of visitors.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Zelric Miras

Mister Leorobin walked around the marketplace with a small leather bag for his purchase, it was a lovely day and quite fitting for some shopping. And the opening of the mayor position was just another excuse. He had cast his name into the choices, as many had, but he knew his vote shouldn't be cast upon himself. Or at least that was his conviction. Perhaps a bit too eagerly, he scribbled James Moriarty on a piece of parchment and folded it up neatly before dropping it in the ballot. -Hopefully the best for the post is elected- He mused towards the next one to cast his/her vote with a smile.

-Good day- He said with a smile before moving towards the vendors.

Geeklet

"Oh, what an auspicious day," Geeklet mused to hirself. With the mayoral position open and up for election, shi had pondered her choices. Though Geeklet knew that there was only one person for the job, hirself, naturally, there were doubts that others felt the same way. So for now, shi just decided to put a name into the voting box, curious as to the ramifications of what may come. Upon the slip of paper that was slid into the box, in a flowing cursive, the name Krysa was written.

James Moriarty

Walking with a measured step into the Great Square, J. Moriarty observed his companions with a distracted smile and a offered a nod of recognition to many assembled whom he already knew, and shook hands and introduced himself to those he did not.  Contemplating the choice of Mayor carefully, he tapped a white-gloved finger on his salt and pepper mustache.  With a quick, knowing smile, he wrote, "Remiel," on a small slip of parchment and dropped it with the others into the box.  Voting being a thirsty business, he settled into a chair at one of the tables outside one of the taverns that was situated on the Square and ordered an ale.

Remiel

Remiel wandered around Florin, his imagination racing.  Who was who?  Who were Wesley and Buttercup?  Who were Vizzini, Inigo and Fezzig?   Every person he met could secretly be one of his favorite characters.   His only disappointment was that he wasn't the Dread Pirate Roberts.  Oh, well, he thought.  I suppose the Dread Pirate Remiel doesn't sound too completely amiss.

After giving thought to the question of who should be Mayor, he picked a name at random.  "Falanor is as good a possibility as anyone."

Kye

Kyrsa wandered aimlessly around Florin, her thoughts on who she wished to be Mayor.  She knew little of the people so far named, and was more than a little flustered to find that someone had voted for her.  After much thought she finally settled on a gentleman who appeared trustworthy to her.  "I believe Remiel would be a good choice."

Falanor

Falanor pondered as he wandered through the City of Florin, wondering who would pick him to be a leader of anything.  "Well," he thought to himself as he looked at the others, "I don't think I'm a good choice.  But if I were to choose a Mayor, Kyrsa has a good voice..."

Beguile's Mistress

Mayor is an awfully responsible position, BeMi thought to herself and ran the list of available candidates through her mind.  Each of them was talented in one way or another and would do a good job but she agreed with those who favored Kyrsa with their vote.  She possessed an analytical mind that would be put to good use making the necessary decisions.  Nodding to herself she decided she had made a good choice.

Nadir

With a drum of hir fingers, Dim Hon considers all the others of the town, imagining which of them would be best suited to the place of power. A very difficult choice to make, as many seem to hold aspects desirous in a mayor, but taking note of how the day advanced shi come to hir conclusion - James Moriarty - based more on his dapper suit and quite fine looking leather shoes rather than whatever leadership skills he may possess.

Valerian

Mayoral Votes:

James Moriarty (3): Josietta, Leorobin, Dim Hon
Kyrsa (3): Geeklet, Falanor, Beguile's Mistress
Remiel (2): James Moriarty, Kyrsa
Dim Hon (1): persephone325
Falanor (1): Remiel

Yet to Vote: That Girl Analise
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

That Girl Analise

"I would likewise be willing to put my faith in Moriarty," she said, chiming in later than planned

Valerian

Mayoral Votes:

James Moriarty* (4): Josietta, Leorobin, Dim Hon, That Girl Analise
Kyrsa (3): Geeklet, Falanor, Beguile's Mistress
Remiel (2): James Moriarty, Kyrsa
Dim Hon (1): persephone325
Falanor (1): Remiel

And with that, James Moriarty became Florin's new mayor.  The rest of the day was given over to feasting, drinking, and merriment, as everyone toasted the occasion.  You don't elect a new mayor every day, after all, so the people had good reason to celebrate and forget their worries for a while.  There were some nasty rumors circulating that something was afoot -- no doubt the people of Guilder were behind that something, since everyone knows how conniving they can be -- but with their new mayor to guide them, surely nothing too terrible could happen.

Little did any of the townsfolk realize that this would be the last carefree day any of them would see for quite some time...

Beguile's Mistress
Dim Hon
Falanor
Geeklet
James Moriarty*
Josietta
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Remiel
persephone325
That Girl Analise
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Zelric Miras

Leorobin heard the results with little interest, his thoughts were more bent towards the groceries than the mayoral vote. He was amused that the one he had casted his vote on had become the mayor, yes, but hopefully that wouldn't be the high point of his day.

Josietta

Miss Josietta was happy to hear her choice was the winning decision. She felt he would do well in office at least from what she could see. Spending her afternoon helping out at the chapel, she helped out the orphans as well and then moved to the kitchens to begin dinner. Many vegetables would have to be cleaned and sliced before being added to the bit of mutton she had found at the market. A mutton stew would be welcome at the feast she was sure, as well as the fresh baked loaves of bread. With any luck some of the other townspeople would bring wine and cheese. The feast would be something for all to take part in, no matter what rank of society they lived on. Still she made sure to leave some behind for the chapel as most of them would likely not attend the feast. Making her way to the town square she placed her baked goods and hot mutton stew on the tables of offering and closed them up to keep it warm and insect free of course. From there she would look around at the others offering smiles and nods of hello to those who did the same to her.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Beguile's Mistress

With all the foods provided for the feast and the dancing and entertainments sure to take place the people were certain to work up a thirst.  BeMi dispatched a couple servants to her home to bring back a cask of ale that had been fermenting in the cooling shed as her contribution to the celebration.  After the men had tapped the cask and took a tankard of ale for themselves as their reward she invited all to partake.  Then looking for somewhere else to lend a hand she sampled a tidbit here and there of the wonderful spread.  The man selected wasn't her choice but who knew.  Maybe they would get lucky with him.

James Moriarty

"I would like to thank you for bestowing on me this great honor," James said with a sweeping bow.  "I will do everything in my power to lead our great town into prosperity and a lasting peace."

Valerian

The next day dawned bright and sunny, and the citizens of Florin rose (with varying degrees of enthusiasm) to start their daily tasks, hopeful of the new regime.  But for one citizen, there would be no more sunrises: The Booing Woman, as she was known to one and all, had been killed in the night, thrown from the Cliffs of Despair.  Distinct traces of a brief but fierce struggle were found -- old and frail-looking as she was, the Booing Woman had still put up a fight.  Yet who could have done this?  Annoying she might have been, with her strange habit of booing everything in sight, but she certainly hadn't deserved such a cruel death.

The good citizens had to find the killers amongst them and remove the miscreants from the fair town of Florin!

Time to storm the castle... that is, time for the lynch vote!  Remember that votes can be changed up until the moment the final tally is posted.

Beguile's Mistress
Dim Hon
Falanor
Geeklet
James Moriarty*
Josietta
Kyrsa
Leorobin
Remiel
persephone325
That Girl Analise
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Nadir

"I heard the last person she "boo'd" was Leorobin," shi mutters softly after shi heard the dreadful news. "It's awfully suspicious..."   

That Girl Analise

"I don't think that means much, in all. After all, if memory serves she's boo'd most --if not all of us --in her long lifetime," Ana shook her head, sighing at the memory. "Geeklet was also fairly recent, no? The perfect frameup for a murder would be to wait for her to boo again. Not that I have any real frame of reference," she added. Though no one outwardly liked the old woman, she couldn't think of any enemies that she had.

Geeklet

"Oh come now. She may have been jealous of me, but that does not mean I would sink so low to murder. If jealousy towards me is enough motive, then I'm sure many more would have died by now." Geeklet let out a wry chuckle before letting out a sigh and shaking hir head in disdain. "No, I have no reason to stoop down to that level. I think something more sinister may be afoot, here. Personally, looking at those assembled,  I have my doubts about Beguile's Mistress."

Josietta

Josietta knew it was really a guessing game at that point as no one seemed safe. She looked to those gathered and watched for a sign of some idea that someone was to blame here. Without too much to go on her gaze rested on persephone325, where she waited to see if some clarity could be gained.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas