Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Started by Wolfy, November 29, 2011, 11:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Sel Nar on December 01, 2011, 04:20:56 PM
http://kotaku.com/5230325/there-are-no-gays-in-star-wars

One of the reasons I'm Leery at best about ToR.

That page isnt loading for me but from the title I can hazard a guess about the topic. If people think there are no homosexual relationship options in the game I am almost sure they are wrong. Not to long ago there was a mention about it along with the usual fallout of "think of the children" outcry.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wajin

actually Hemingway, so far people have seemed to let it unfold without spoiling.... and remember... no two people will play the game in the same way.... how a quest progresses is entirely up to you.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Hemingway

Also... "overweight Miraluka" ...

That was...

Hot.

ofDelusions

Quote from: Brandon on December 01, 2011, 04:27:59 PM
That page isnt loading for me but from the title I can hazard a guess about the topic. If people think there are no homosexual relationship options in the game I am almost sure they are wrong. Not to long ago there was a mention about it along with the usual fallout of "think of the children" outcry.

Bioware has said that there will be no same sex-relationships in the game at launch but they will be added at later date.

Jacqueline

I'm a bit of in the same boat as ofDelusions, it is a bit too expensive for me so that's really the main reason. I was disappointed with the no same-sex romances at launch but at least they're adding them later!

Chris Brady

The no Same Sex thing is a George Lucas stipulation, not Bioware.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Jacqueline

Oh wow, I totally didn't know that at all! His ears must have been ringing really badly.

Sel Nar

That may be so Chris, but the way bioware handled it (Poorly, with lots of thread-locking, and censoring of 'gay, lesbian, and bisexual' as words in the forum) kinda smacked of raging stupidity.

(Bioware later publicly apologized, mind)

Brandon

Quote from: Sel Nar on December 01, 2011, 05:45:50 PM
That may be so Chris, but the way bioware handled it (Poorly, with lots of thread-locking, and censoring of 'gay, lesbian, and bisexual' as words in the forum) kinda smacked of raging stupidity.

After allowing for such relationships in Kotor, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Dragon age, and others do you really think its their choice not to include those relationship options? I think they said it best with Dragon age 2, their games are for everyone
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sel Nar

All things being equal, mechanicaly, TOR looks great, and even plays well. But, story-wise, a lot of the quests seem to have been written by Bioware's C-team.

For example, there's one quest where you're basically blackmailed (a case of 'give me money or I'll tell the <faction>-dominated planetary military that a <opposite faction> spy is here, and show them your face') and the three options are 'Pay him (+100 light side points), Kill him (+100 darkside points), or 'Flirt/sleep with him (+100 lightside points)' (after a patch, the 'flirt' part had a 'raincheck' option added)

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 01, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
The no Same Sex thing is a George Lucas stipulation, not Bioware.

That was my guess when I first saw it, too. I mean, considering BioWare's track record.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Sel Nar on December 01, 2011, 05:45:50 PM

Likely because Mr. Lucas was making threatening noises to shut the game down.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Jacqueline

At least they won't have this kind of trouble when they make the Mass Effect MMO, they created that universe after all!

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 02, 2011, 06:27:56 AM
Likely because Mr. Lucas was making threatening noises to shut the game down.

I can't recall a single time I've seen the real George Lucas. Here's the clip that formed my entire impression of him:

MAD TV George Lucas good quality

I can't but imagine that's basically what's going on now as well.

Brandon

Yeah I cant really think of many times where Ive seen him say anything about anything star wars. I do recall an interview after the debacle of the crystal skull but I cant really remember anything that was said in it.

As the owner of the property he's within his rights to make whatever demands he wants and pull the lisence if Bioware doesnt comply. At the same time its almost like star wars needs to take a new turn into the modern age with more modern social aspects.

On another note, Wolfy you and I need to run a flashpoint together since we never got the chance to do anything in WoW

Onyx

I have never heard anything about George Lucas mandating that Bioware cannot include same-sex romances in SWTOR.  I would like to see a reputable source indicating that, especially seeing as Bioware has released an official statement confirming that same-sex romance choices will be included in SWTOR as a post-launch feature.

Google "same sex swtor" and the official statement is the first result.

My best speculation would be that there was either ratings-related pressure from EA or, more likely, that they simply did not have the time or resources necessary to allocate to voice acting for all of the same-sex pairings.  Considering this game has been in development for many years and is one of the most (if not the most?) expensive video games in history, my money would be on this being the case.

I myself am only interested in same-sex relationships.  The fact that same-sex romance choices with NPCs will be included post launch does not upset or offend me.  Besides, it will be vastly more enjoyable to have my Bounty Hunter collect a handful of corruptible little Sith Inquisitor and Sith Warrior toys ... err ... players to satisfy those ... needs.

Mm.  Maybe I should go post an RP Request, now.  >:)

Brandon

Quote from: Onyx on December 02, 2011, 06:18:54 PM
I have never heard anything about George Lucas mandating that Bioware cannot include same-sex romances in SWTOR.  I would like to see a reputable source indicating that, especially seeing as Bioware has released an official statement confirming that same-sex romance choices will be included in SWTOR as a post-launch feature.

Google "same sex swtor" and the official statement is the first result.

My best speculation would be that there was either ratings-related pressure from EA or, more likely, that they simply did not have the time or resources necessary to allocate to voice acting for all of the same-sex pairings.  Considering this game has been in development for many years and is one of the most (if not the most?) expensive video games in history, my money would be on this being the case.

I myself am only interested in same-sex relationships.  The fact that same-sex romance choices with NPCs will be included post launch does not upset or offend me.  Besides, it will be vastly more enjoyable to have my Bounty Hunter collect a handful of corruptible little Sith Inquisitor and Sith Warrior toys ... err ... players to satisfy those ... needs.

Mm.  Maybe I should go post an RP Request, now.  >:)

Sounds like an interesting plot idea. I have to admit when i think of an Elliquiy SWTOR guild I get those kinds of images in my head  ;D

Onyx

Quote from: Brandon on December 02, 2011, 06:34:43 PM
Sounds like an interesting plot idea. I have to admit when i think of an Elliquiy SWTOR guild I get those kinds of images in my head  ;D

Yes, yes.  So many wicked possibilities.  It's a shame Faction Swapping isn't available ... it would be even more fun to twist a noble little Jedi to the ... pleasures ... of the dark side of things.  >:)

ZK

Interesting on how everything is going; I'm getting the game. Yay... and from playing as a Bounty Hunter, my female one mind you; she apparently can [Flirt] with female Twi'Leks and they flirt back. Arrrgh, they're Asari! I knew it. (laughs)
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Brandon on December 02, 2011, 06:34:43 PM

Play the Sith Warrior  >:)

Trust me on this one.

He has, to my mind, the funniest line I've yet encountered. In one of his missions I got to say this [Intimidate] "I will kill and eat both of you!" to a pair of criminals  XD
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jacqueline

There is something similar on the Sith Inquisitor soon after getting her first companion, he can get pretty funny!

Wajin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 03, 2011, 03:39:33 AM
Play the Sith Warrior  >:)

Trust me on this one.

He has, to my mind, the funniest line I've yet encountered. In one of his missions I got to say this [Intimidate] "I will kill and eat both of you!" to a pair of criminals  XD

Bounty hunter intimidate "See this thermal detonator? if you say one more thing I don't like, this goes inside you"
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Aiden

Got to play the beta a little this weekend, not sure how many will be willing to join the same server. I am joining my wow guild on which ever server they join (if the plans pan out) if not I will be picking something random and joining it.

Ryven

I'll be playing on whatever server my WAR guild is playing on.  Sith all the way. ^-^

Braioch

-Wishes he didn't have a shitty computer....also wishes he had money....-
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]