Interest check for a superpower Academy game

Started by AidenWhite, October 21, 2016, 05:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AidenWhite

*Everything that I marked with an asterisk is a subject that I’d like feedback or suggestions on, however feel free to point out your concerns about non-marked items.

This is an interest check for an academy game revolving around students having super powers interacting with those without. The powers themselves don’t really matter, just the fact that some of the students have them. The game has a modern setting and the academy itself will be located near a rather large city which will allow the students to be able to go out of school premises during their freetime. The city (name W.I.P) is a half hour walk by foot but there will also be a bus system running every hour.*

The academy itself was originally just for normal people without powers and the people with powers had their own specialized schools. After a political change, the new leader abolished these specialized schools. The people with powers were spread out to the normal schools, all of this in an attempt to get rid of the alienating nature of the people without powers towards those that had powers.

This is a country-wide policy, so this is happening in multiple schools. If anyone is in a club/makes a club that can compete and is simple enough, I could possibly go out of my way to make up another school and few PCs tied to that school in order to RP that.*

I’m leaning towards the idea that instead of having one huge plot and making everything we do dedicated to that huge plot, there would instead be multiple popular events (and sometimes the days of preparation behind those events), like a Fall Festival or Christmas event, the obligatory beach episode, etc.*

FAQ
I’m going to try to preempt some questions but I am not omnipotent so feel free to ask any question you do not see in this FAQ or if you need clarification

Q. Where is this game taking place?
A. Quick answer would be modern-day Japan, considering how this game will be played, though I might reconsider since this is solely an interest check, nothing is written in stone.

Q. Are we using real-life models as our characters or anime models?
A. Definitely anime models, mainly for the reason that there are plenty of them to work with and with a ton of variety for which ever one you pick

Q. How do you feel about transfer students from foreign countries?
A. It should be fine as long as it doesn’t get out of hand and 70% of the player base is all from France. It adds some variety and lets people play a culture they’re interested in or more comfortable with since Japanese culture can be confusing at some times (much like any other culture that isn’t your own). Oh, and foreign students can have powers.

Q. How did the people with powers get their powers?*
A. I have a list of possible reasons that I’m considering, like a side-effect of some medicine that was quickly taken off the shelves and gotten rid of or maybe a mutation that was caused by the Earth being close to a meteor shower and space particles affected babies yet to be born, newborns and one to three year olds. Some ideas are a bit far-fetched but this is still a work in progress.

Q. Do the powers have any catches/downsides?
A. Yes, in order to keep this game more about the interactions between characters and less of a "hey look what I can do" farce, I will require everyone to have at least a single well-reasoned downside to their powers (if their character has any, that is.)

Q. Will we be roleplaying classes?
A. Usually no, scenes involving classrooms will probably take place before and after class, but if there is an upcoming event that requires there to be an in-class scene, then so be it.

Q. How are the living arrangements?*
A. I’ve been mulling over this and I have come to the tentative decision that there will be both dormitories and outside the school living arrangements. I want this game to not be super-restrictive but since be controllable, so I kindly ask those that choose to live outside of the school to pay attention and not get left behind since that sucks for every party involved. Whether you live on your own or have parent(s) is up to your own discretion, but again please be careful.

Q. How are the dorms like?
A. Two huge buildings, one for each gender (since the headmasters take no tomfoolery from anyone). Everyone will have the option to either live on their own or with another character. Each building has several suites equipped with a bathroom, a bedroom (number of beds depending whether or not it is a single or double suite), a decently sized living room (comfortable for 3-4 people, tight for 6 or more) and a small kitchen (small stove, microwave, and a sink/counter-type deal).

Q. Are there any writing requirements?
A. I, and I would wager most of the other players, would appreciate it if everyone could write at least two well-written paragraphs. I don’t mean to sound snooty but I want everyone to be able to write and have enough to work with. I’ve been in the scenario where I have to respond to a two sentence post and there is nothing to work with. A post should have more than what the other person said and what you said. How is your character feeling what is your character thinking, how your character feels about the person he/she is talking to, etc. Other than that, check your grammar and give your post a once-over for any confusing typos. I’m not too anal about grammar as long as I and the person or group of people you’re writing with understand what you wrote.

FAQ list possible still in progress

DISCLAIMER: This is just an interest check, nothing is (entirely) written in stone.
My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

Lynnette

I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Sally Aces

Count me in. I'd love to play a Dandere whose powers force her into the limelight. See below for face claims :)

in uniform

Superheroine transformation

Cassandra LeMay

Two Questions:

Q1: Will all PCs be students, or will there also be teachers as player characters?

Q2: Have all "supers" in this world gained their powers around the same time/through the same event, or are there also adult "supers" in this setting who might have gotten their powers in a different way?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

AidenWhite

Welcome everyone, thanks for your interest.

@Cass: Teachers are mainly going to be plot devices, i.e. when an event comes around and it needs explaining or there's a rare class IC session. So there won't be many opportunities to use a teacher character. So to answer your first question, all PCs will be students.

For your second question, that's something that I'm on the fence about but I'm leaning towards a singular event that has affected multiple people regardless of age. I'm probably going to go for a rare mutation that spawned back a few hundred years back and as time progressed and the population increased, more and more people got that mutation and could pass it on, so to answer your second question: yes, there are also adults with powers.

If you have concerns with my answers, please inform me. Thanks!

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: AidenWhite on October 22, 2016, 09:43:15 AM
If you have concerns with my answers, please inform me. Thanks!
I'm good. :) When it comes to school settings I always find myself drawn to the teacher characters, as I find it difficult to get into the mindset of a teenager after so many years of not having been on myself. I might still come up with a student character, but I am a bit one the fence, so you might not want to rely on me.

Quote from: AidenWhite on October 22, 2016, 09:43:15 AM
For your second question, that's something that I'm on the fence about but I'm leaning towards a singular event that has affected multiple people regardless of age. I'm probably going to go for a rare mutation that spawned back a few hundred years back and as time progressed and the population increased, more and more people got that mutation and could pass it on, so to answer your second question: yes, there are also adults with powers.
Maybe tie it to the radiation from a comet or something like that? You could have a regularly recurring event set at time intervals you like. Might not even have to be something genetically transmitted if the recepients of this "gift" also gain longevity. Their children might be more likely to be effected at the next event, but you might also have children of "supers" who just didn't get the "gift" the last time the comet passed Earth. Might make for a club of nasty, vindictive folks who feel left out and snub the "supers" because they think they should have gotten the gift. Add to that a bunch of "super parents" who feel their children should excell and you might have some interesting, non-powered, characters with a serious chip on their shoulder.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

LeSane

'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

AndyZ

My ideas have been failing utterly of late, but I like this idea and will see what sprouts of it.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

AidenWhite

Thanks for the interest @LeSane and @AndyZ

@Cass: I see where you're coming from, sorry about that. And yeah, that's how it's going to be since the way genes work is that even if both parents both have blue eyes, the child might still end up with brown because of the grandparents; I'll leave family to the discretion of the player. I had that comet/meteor shower idea, previously, so perhaps I'll have that be the cause for the initial mutation. I also have the idea of starting the game around the same time a similar meteor shower/comet crosses the Earth for the first time since it happened initially. But, anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

So to sum it up,

Powered parents can have nonpowered children
Nonpowered parents can have powered children
Powered children can have nonpowered siblings and vice versa.

Inari

In Mass Effect that is pretty much how some Biotics got their powers. 

Cassandra LeMay

Okay, I have another question:

Q: How powerful are the "superpowers" in this setting? What are we really talking about here, in amounts of awesomeness? Can you give a few examples what you might consider right or wrong for the setting? Are we talking about characters who can level a city in an eyeblink, someone who can lift a car with some effort? What's the "power level" supposed to be?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

King Serperior

Hmmm, very interesting!  I have an idea for a possible female character

Female;  Power is called 'Monster Girl' which gives her animal traits at the cost of physical transformation:  Harpy means she can fly short distances;  Mermaid means she can breath underwater;  Neko gives her perfect balance and coordination;  Minotaur gives her increased strength;  Lamia gives her a super-flexible body;  Dragon gives her armored skin and fire breath;  Etc.  However, she can only become one form at a time and she has no 'human form' anymore.  This means her weakness is the inability to be hidden easily.....as well as the fact that clothing for one monster might not fit or be suitable for another.  Plus, changing form requires at least a minute of meditation and she remains in that form until she changes into another.

So, while she can technically have numerous super powers, she can only ever have one or two minor ones at a time, depending on her form.  I see her as taking the more Neko form as, other than the tail, she looks mostly human.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

pdragon

What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Angel Fire

I shall plant my interest seed and see if it sprouts up and blooms.
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

AidenWhite

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 22, 2016, 12:11:42 PM
Okay, I have another question:

Q: How powerful are the "superpowers" in this setting? What are we really talking about here, in amounts of awesomeness? Can you give a few examples what you might consider right or wrong for the setting? Are we talking about characters who can level a city in an eyeblink, someone who can lift a car with some effort? What's the "power level" supposed to be?

Great question.

I don't really want powers to be the main thing in this RP in order for people to just pick the most over-powered abilities just to compete with the other players. If you're going to pick a power (you don't have to, by the way), I'm sure everyone has the sense not to pick abilities like Stop Time or Instant Destruction. Powers that can spawn fire, water, ice etc. are fine in moderation. But if I have to put a general limit on powers: don't make yourself into the main protagonist of an anime.

Super strength is fine like in your example of lifting a car with effort but keep in mind that every power will have a downside, and I will expect that with stronger power, the more detrimental the weakness.

I hope that clarifies things, if not just say so and I'll try my best to make the boundaries more clear.

@KS: that seems alright as long as her abilities don't exceed those that specialize in a certain ability, for example her Minotaur form's super strength cannot be stronger than a character whose sole ability is super strength, just to keep things balance.

I don't want this to be a competition of who has the strongest power but rather how these people will interact with each other, if that makes sense. The academy won't teach students how to use their powers but rather give them an "in" to the regular society they were once shunned from.

Also, @KS, @pdragon, and @Angel Fire: thanks for the interest!

Another note: I think the interest is enough to warrant me to start a recruitment thread, so I will get on that later today and have it up by tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who has shown their support thus far. 

King Serperior

Quote from: AidenWhite on October 22, 2016, 01:47:00 PM
@KS: that seems alright as long as her abilities don't exceed those that specialize in a certain ability, for example her Minotaur form's super strength cannot be stronger than a character whose sole ability is super strength, just to keep things balance.

I don't want this to be a competition of who has the strongest power but rather how these people will interact with each other, if that makes sense. The academy won't teach students how to use their powers but rather give them an "in" to the regular society they were once shunned from.
Oh, no, that's not what I was meaning at all.  These powers would in each form would be the 'average' one would expect.  For example, her Minotaur form could lift a car with some effort, but couldn't lift a Tank.  The real power would come in being limited versatility.

Of course, I am still debating, so I'll wait and see who else has interest and see the character sheet.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

FarFetched

Sounds interesting!

How hard are the downsides going to be? Do seriously effect how that person can act throughout the RP, or is it a simple weakness in their abilities? *is a fan of the former*

AidenWhite

@FarFetched: Welcome!

As for your question: the weakness is up to the discretion of the player as long as it's reasonable.

For example: a character has super strength and they can use it for a period of time of their choosing up to a certain point but after the time limit, they become unable to lift up something light like a spoon. Something like that.

Does that answer your question?

FarFetched

Yep! I was just thinking up characters and my favorite at the moment has a weakness that severely hampers how they live. Just curious about how it measures up to the others!

Lynnette

Quote from: FarFetched on October 22, 2016, 02:58:17 PM
Yep! I was just thinking up characters and my favorite at the moment has a weakness that severely hampers how they live. Just curious about how it measures up to the others!

Nothing's stopping you from revealing it early :P
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

King Serperior

Quote from: FarFetched on October 22, 2016, 02:58:17 PM
No worries as to how a downside compares to others.  The character I am thinking about has the downsides of:  1).  Never looking fully human, 2).  Clothing not always fitting or suitable for her forms, 3).  Clothing often being ruined if she changes form with the wrong clothes on, 4).  Takes some time to change forms and even then the forms have limited powers and some forms have special weaknesses (Arachnee form allows her to make silk and crawl up walls for example;  Slime form makes her hard to hurt physically, but makes her weak to water).

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

FarFetched

Bah, fiiiine!

Here's what I had in mind:

Pic

My idea was to make a character whose super-power was "All Seeing Eyes". Her supernaturally sharp eyes, paired with a brain entirely dedicated to examination, allows her to accurately inspect virtually anything she sees with efficiency past that of a super-computer. Much like a certain cucumber patch, she is able to deduce incredible amounts of data from little more than a glimpse.

For example, she can tell password combination of a keypad just from the minute wear on the buttons, or the answers on a math test from a simple glance. She can discern things about people too; like the weaknesses in someone else's superpower, their attraction to others, or how their powers might be best used in a situation.

The big problem with her sight is that she is literally incapable of turning it off. Sitting in a classroom sends an overwhelming amount of information to her mind. It's too much for one person to process. Just opening her eyes is like having a panic attack. If she uses them for more than a minute at a time, she becomes overwhelmed by all the information and can easily faint from the stress. She has to blind herself just to attend school.

AidenWhite

@FF

That sounds pretty cool, so you already have my okay! It'll be fun to see how she interacts with others.

Angel Fire

Guess that I'll reveal my character's power.

Her power is fire based but she can't control fire itself.  She can start fires with super heat but if they get out of control, she can't stop the fires from spreading.  I would say that her weakness is extreme cold... or cold in general.  She would always bundle up in layers of clothes, even when it is 80 degrees outside.  To her, during a normal heat wave is too cold for her (Her preferred outside temperature is 115 degrees).  She would also be susceptible to common colds more frequently than the average human.

I am thinking of her being a transfer student from Phoenix or somewhere in the desert Southwestern US... where it is summer and she is loving the dry heat but as soon as she lands in Japan, she is freezing from the cooler temperatures.

If there are uniforms for her to wear, she would probably be against it as she would not be able to conform to those clothes since she would almost always feel too cold.

How does that sound to y'all?
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.

AidenWhite

Quote from: Angel Fire on October 22, 2016, 04:12:10 PM

Her power is fire based but she can't control fire itself.  She can start fires with super heat but if they get out of control, she can't stop the fires from spreading.  I would say that her weakness is extreme cold... or cold in general.  She would always bundle up in layers of clothes, even when it is 80 degrees outside.  To her, during a normal heat wave is too cold for her (Her preferred outside temperature is 115 degrees).  She would also be susceptible to common colds more frequently than the average human.

I am thinking of her being a transfer student from Phoenix or somewhere in the desert Southwestern US... where it is summer and she is loving the dry heat but as soon as she lands in Japan, she is freezing from the cooler temperatures.

If there are uniforms for her to wear, she would probably be against it as she would not be able to conform to those clothes since she would almost always feel too cold.

That sounds fine with me, pretty interesting setback as well.

FarFetched

Quote from: Angel Fire on October 22, 2016, 04:12:10 PM

Ooo, I like the sound of her! Is she affected by her own fire?

Saria

This is definitely intriguing!

I could do a student whose power is to turn herself and objects she touches - up to, say, the size of two people max - invisible, intangible, and/or effectively weightless (ie, floating). Basically, she's Ghost Girl (name pending).

Downsides:

• Whatever she touches to turn invisible/intangible/floaty, she gets stuck to for a time.
  • She doesn't have great control over her power, and it can be accidentally triggered fully or partially by emotions or even just surprise.
  • The more stuff she tries to make invisible/intangible/floaty the harder it is to keep track. So if she tries to make herself plus someone else invisible or intangible, she might just fail to make some or all of her or their clothes invisible/intangible/floaty!
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

Angel Fire

@FF: Kinda of.  If she gets too close to the fire, than she is affected like any normal human is (she really hates the smell of smoke) but she loves the heat that the fire brings out to her.

@Aiden: Sweet!  Thanks!  The seed is starting to bloom more now *Smiles*

FarFetched

Quote from: Saria on October 22, 2016, 04:31:56 PM
This is definitely intriguing!

I could do a student whose power is to turn herself and objects she touches - up to, say, the size of two people max - invisible, intangible, and/or effectively weightless (ie, floating). Basically, she's Ghost Girl (name pending).

Downsides:

• Whatever she touches to turn invisible/intangible/floaty, she gets stuck to for a time.
  • She doesn't have great control over her power, and it can be accidentally triggered fully or partially by emotions or even just surprise.
  • The more stuff she tries to make invisible/intangible/floaty the harder it is to keep track. So if she tries to make herself plus someone else invisible or intangible, she might just fail to make some or all of her or their clothes invisible/intangible/floaty!
Interesting! Does anything happen if she goes intangible, but returns to normal while phasing through something?

Saria

Quote from: FarFetched on October 22, 2016, 04:35:28 PM
Interesting! Does anything happen if she goes intangible, but returns to normal while phasing through something?
You mean like turning solid in the middle of a thick wall? I'm thinking she (and whatever else she's made intangible) gets thrown violently out in some random direction, and the wall probably explodes or suffers serious damage (this last bit I'm still mulling over). Being thrown out doesn't hurt because the bodies won't be solid at the time... but the landing or impact after being thrown out will.

FarFetched

Hm, if the wall exploded, it would make her power really scary! Just in a what-if situation, she'd be able to do crazy stuff like go invisible and materialize with her hand inside someone, killing them in an instant!

Saria

Quote from: FarFetched on October 22, 2016, 04:48:19 PM
Hm, if the wall exploded, it would make her power really scary! Just in a what-if situation, she'd be able to do crazy stuff like go invisible and materialize with her hand inside someone, killing them in an instant!
Sure, but anyone with super strength could do the same with less effort with a single punch. Not to mention what one could do with flame power, for example.

The main reason I'm not sure about doing any damage to things she materializes inside is because I think being able to go intangible is such an awesome defensive ability, I don't really want to give her any major offensive ability. But on the other hand, having at least some offensive ability would be more interesting than just standing around if any action pops up. The "power" to cause damage to something at the expense of being violently tossed away if you try it seemed like a reasonable compromise to me. It would be a fairly last-ditch move to try on purpose.

Inari

I am thinking my character will have Electrokinesis and discharges static electric when their emotions become heightened. (If they become really angry/tearful/super happy/excited/hyper about something.) Weakness would be that they are quite weak physically and if they become wet they will be unable to use their powers.

pdragon

Since we're throwing ideas out there

pic

The basic premise of my guy's power is the ability to "switch" or "swap" parts of things. For example, if there are two cars he can switch their tires so that one set is now on the other, and vise versa, or if he touched two people he could swap their hair between one another. With this power he'd be able to swap various things around for a variety of effects and uses, giving the power a wide range of utility, but in a way that requires a high level of strategy and abstract thinking.

Power specs/limitations:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

-Parts being switched must be equivalent to each other. For example, you could make two people's arms switch places, but you couldn't swap an arm with a leg.

-The user must be physically touching both things/people they're intending to switch parts of when making the switch, meaning the power can't be used remotely.

-There isn't a set time limit for how long swaps last, but once the two targets move outside of a certain distance of each other, the effect breaks and their respective parts switch back to their original owners. The effective distance of the power depends on the mass of the part switched. For example, the user could attempt to switch two people's "bodies", making their minds inhabit one another's bodies, or they can instead swap their "brains" between each other, achieving the same effect, and since a brain is significantly smaller than an entire body, the range the two can move away from each other before switching back is longer. If the user's body isn't involved with the swap in question, then the user doesn't need to remain within range of the targets, only the distance of the targets themselves matter.

-While the array of things that can be swapped is wide, and can sometimes dip into abstract approaches, only physical parts of things can be switched. For example, you couldn't switch two people's "strength" or "power" between each other, but you could swap their "muscles" effectively allowing the same result. For this reason another student's powers can't be switched out unless the user knows exactly what body parts (organs, glands, sections of the brain, etc.) are responsible for manifesting their abilities, and if someone's powers work on a more metaphysical level, then powers cannot be switched at all.

-Parts swapped onto a new "main body" will continue to function as they had before being switched, and will partially morph to properly fit into the new vessel they're being slotted into without causing damage or loss of function as result of the switch, however any damage or faults in the part will now afflict it's new carrier. For example, if two people were to have their knees swapped, and one person started with a bum/broken knee, the body part will remain injured within it's new host and will now adversely affect them. At the same time any new negative/positive statuses applied to the part will carry over once swapped back, so if two people had their knees swapped, and one person got their knee broken while they were switched, the original owner of the part will continue to suffer the injury after being switched back.

-The user cannot willingly cancel a swap on their own, they must either A. wait for the two objects to move outside of their range B. Fall unconscious (canceling all currently active swaps) or C. physically swap the same two parts again with their powers, requiring them to again touch both targets at the same time.

-While swapped parts cannot be swapped again until they return to their original owner (meaning you could not swap parts with someone then swap that same part out with a third person while the initial swap is activated). However there is no limit on how many different parts of the same body can be swapped out at the same time.

-The more swaps maintained at the same time (and the larger the parts being swapped) the more physical strain is exerted on the user. The maximum safe limit of swaps the user can perform at once is five, less if all the parts being swapped are considerably large or complex, any further than that risks sending the user into cardiovascular shock from stress on the body. Since the user cannot remotely cancel swaps at will, they must carefully keep track of how many times the power has been used and how many swaps are currently active, or else they can trap themselves in a fatal situation where their body cannot handle the strain of their powers but they can't undo it in time to save themselves.

Request Thread

FarFetched

I like the picture; that cross-dressing dynamic (assuming I'm not misreading things) is really fitting for the power!

Inari

I have been thinking it over and I have decided to change my mind play someone normal for once!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

pdragon

Quote from: FarFetched on October 22, 2016, 07:37:42 PM
I like the picture; that cross-dressing dynamic (assuming I'm not misreading things) is really fitting for the power!
Exactly. Since the premise for the story is supposed to be focusing on how everyone interacts with each other with their powers, I kinda saw him as a bit of a scandalous delinquent: using his powers to change his hair style every day, swapping out body types to better please his lovers, and all around finding ways to make a quick buck with his ability whenever he can. "Oh, are your horribly overwhelming all seeing eyes bothering you ma'am? Well for just twenty bucks an hour I'll go ahead and swap eyes with you so you can relax a bit" lol, all sorts of money to be made.

Request Thread

FarFetched

Oh hoh? The Swapper might get the bum end of that deal; but that's all IC knowledge stuff. I think this is going to be really fun. XD

pdragon

Eh, it's a good excuse to walk around in a cool blindfold and do his best "blind samurai" gig.

Request Thread

AidenWhite

That wouldn't work because you're essentially assuming someone else's powers. Everyone's powers lies within their DNA, something that you can't readily change so even if you swapped eyes with her, she'd still have that difficulty of always processing everything she sees.

Just because you swap body parts with someone doesn't mean you'll have their capabilities. For example, if you swap your arms with a bodybuilder's, you won't be able to lift as much as the bodybuilder for many reasons. If you want to use a bodybuilder's arms, you'd need their entire body, their heart and their lungs.

Also, I'm not sure if I like the fact that you can swap out abstract properties like "muscles" or I would guess another would be intelligence. And the fact that you can swap body parts limitlessly. I know you made sure to add the fact that there is a physical risk and potential death if your character does more than five switches but I don't want to set the dangerous precedence that using a power limitlessly is alright as long as there is a physical drawback because there is not going to be death in this game, so essentially there are no heavy consequences regarding your character's physical well-being.

The drawback that the user can't switch back willingly is fine and the fact that the damage carries over even if they switch is fine too.

Also swapping arms and legs is fine, but swapping organs is a no-go. That is just inviting trouble.

Hopefully, I didn't put a damper on your fun and you recognize that I have to be strict with what people choose as their powers otherwise it just becomes a huge mess when the game starts and even if it doesn't occur right away, it will definitely occur in the future. I've witnessed this myself multiple times and I want to make sure there isn't going to be any messiness going forward. I don't want to utilize the almighty GM hammer too often so it's best if I put my foot down at the beginning rather than in the middle of the game.

As always, thanks for the interest and even going so far as to putting down your thoughts right here.

Now, I must go and begin writing the Recruitment Thread since I set a deadline for tomorrow >_>

*runs off*

Wolfy

I'm interested in being a part of this!

Are there any limits to what powers can be?

FarFetched

Quote from: Wolfy on October 23, 2016, 02:50:30 AM

Most are okay, so long as they aren't overpowered. Things like stopping time or instantly destroying something are straight out.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Wolfy on October 23, 2016, 02:50:30 AM

The way I read Aiden, the powers themselves aren't all that important, as they aren't the focus of the game. The way I read it, this is essentially a school/academy setting with a twist. I suppose a character who can set their own hair on fire without taking damage, or turning their skin neon green at will can be just as valid here as someone who can lift a car or shoot laser beams from their eyes.

Speaking of character and powers ... I suppose I am in. Still not sure about a lot of details for my character, but my current idea runs towards a male character who might be the son of one, maybe two, superpowered parent(s) but has no obvious powers of his own. He feels he has somehow let his parents down by not having any powers and strives extra hard to make up for his "human weakness" through academic achievements and sports. He'll certainly be in the kendo club and martial arts club if the school has them (and if not he'll likely start them). I am not sure yet, but he might actually have a superpower himself without being aware of it. I have to think about that a bit more.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

AidenWhite

@Cass: Exactly. The powers themselves aren't the focus of the game, but I still have to monitor them. And the character idea sounds good, it's just that if your character does indeed have a power, it must be extremely subtle to not have shown up this entire time.

@Wolfy: thanks for the interest!

@Everyone: here is the recruitment thread CLICK ON THIS

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: AidenWhite on October 23, 2016, 05:13:10 AM
... And the character idea sounds good, it's just that if your character does indeed have a power, it must be extremely subtle to not have shown up this entire time.
I was thinking he might have something like a "perfect muscle memory", that he has to learn a physical task just once, then can repeat that over and over again, something like "instant training". But as he always trains hard and long, everyone (including himself) would think it is all the result of training. It might also be that this power only manifested after puberty, kicked in only when his body had mostly finished growing and his musculature had essentially "stabilized". Might not make much sense for a power like this to kick in while the muscles were still forming and growing all the time.
Edit: I am still on the fence if his power would allow him to copy moves from people he observes or not.

Speaking of puberty, here's another question for you:

What is the age range for our characters? Obviously we can't make them too young because of the site rules, but what is the expected range? I assume senior high, i.e. years 10 to 12, so about 16-18 years old?

Also: School uniforms. Will there be uniforms? If so we might not need detailed descriptions, but maybe a color scheme would be nice to know.

Another Edit, another question: Do you imagine school clubs and such will become important? If so, would it make sense to have membership of clubs included in the character sheet?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sally Aces

I love the clubs idea, Cassandra. It makes for a quick way to link characters.

Angel Fire

Especially for someone who is brand new to everything like my girl is.

AidenWhite

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 23, 2016, 08:51:22 AM
I was thinking he might have something like a "perfect muscle memory", that he has to learn a physical task just once, then can repeat that over and over again, something like "instant training". But as he always trains hard and long, everyone (including himself) would think it is all the result of training. It might also be that this power only manifested after puberty, kicked in only when his body had mostly finished growing and his musculature had essentially "stabilized". Might not make much sense for a power like this to kick in while the muscles were still forming and growing all the time.
Edit: I am still on the fence if his power would allow him to copy moves from people he observes or not.

Speaking of puberty, here's another question for you:

What is the age range for our characters? Obviously we can't make them too young because of the site rules, but what is the expected range? I assume senior high, i.e. years 10 to 12, so about 16-18 years old?

Also: School uniforms. Will there be uniforms? If so we might not need detailed descriptions, but maybe a color scheme would be nice to know.

Another Edit, another question: Do you imagine school clubs and such will become important? If so, would it make sense to have membership of clubs included in the character sheet?

His powers: I'm fine with him being able to do a physical task just once and then being able to do it just as well as anyone (within limits), however I'm not comfortable having him have Sharingan-esc abilities, if you know what I mean. It's fine if he studies someone over and over and gets the gist of how the move works, but that won't happen on the first time.

Age range of the characters is how you said, 16-18.

There are school uniforms: I was thinking Guilty Crown style, red scheme for the girls, black scheme for the boys, something like this.

I want there to be clubs for sure, but I don't want to make a huge list of clubs no one will use, buuut... that gives me an idea. If you'd like your character in a club, add a field in the CS somewhere about what kinda of clubs your character would like to join, then I'll group up the most common ones and relay that information back to you guys. You can also PM each other and pre-plan all of this of course.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: AidenWhite on October 23, 2016, 11:39:17 AM
His powers: I'm fine with him being able to do a physical task just once and then being able to do it just as well as anyone (within limits), however I'm not comfortable having him have Sharingan-esc abilities, if you know what I mean. It's fine if he studies someone over and over and gets the gist of how the move works, but that won't happen on the first time.
Been a while since I watched Naruto, but I get your drift. I am still thinking about his abilities as I work on the character background so this might all change quite a bit anyway, but I'll PM you a first draft soon and we can take it from there.  :-)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Moon Hound Hati

Been away the whole weekend, but I think it's time I throw my hat in here.
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.