Balamb Garden (Final Fantasy VIII) -Please Use Recruitment Thread in First Post-

Started by Florence, June 27, 2012, 10:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

*reads*

I could actually see it being either Shiva or Vishka.  I never saw Shiva as very comforting (ice entities rarely are), so it's possible but I would have actually more suggested the angel.  Your call on that, though.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

kckolbe

I was always kinda partial the the Brothers cinematic.  Been so long though.  I may have to go back and look them through.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Fenrir

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Zeniera Rukein
Enrollment Age: Five

Weapon: Shuriken Weapon Description:  Large five foot shuriken with four blades.  Each blade is two and a half feet long, with doubled edges.  Zeniera must wear special gloves to prevent herself from cutting her hands.  The weapon can be used in melee combat as well as being thrown.  It glows with magic gifted to her from her guardian force that warps the weapon back to her hands after being thrown. (shown in character photo).
Specialization: Infiltration and Evacuation
Personality: Zeniera is a friendly enough person but gets a lone wolf syndrome from her guardian force counterpart and prefers to work alone most of the time.  When she's around people she's quick to smile and make a joke at anyone's expense including her own and always says what is on her mind, regardless of the consequences.  She known garden wide as an escape artist and is always willing to submit to any of the trials her garden mates create for her.  Never being a very good student, she has a tendency to barely scrape by on her academia while excelling tremendously in SeeD field training and exams.  She is persistent and never gives up once her mind is made up and has a keen eye to recognize the best way to get out of situations.

Backstory:
There are no memories that Zeniera can recall before she came to Balamb Garden and no one remembers who she had been with before she was found wandering the hallways.  She cried for days, for her sister to come to her and when no one showed to take the young girl home she was enrolled to the school.  It soon became her home, her teachers and friends became her family and she forgot any memories of a previous life. 

The young girl was merely eight years old when she came across her guardian force, Fenrir.  She had picked a fight with an older student, a twelve year old that was harassing one of her friends and still weak in her training she was forced into a chest, that was quickly locked.  The swaying of the chest had almost made her sick as they carried to the training facility and abandoned her there.  She cried in the small box for hours, beating upon its wooden frame until a low growl sounded around her.  She yelled at the noise, demanding that it free her and so he did.  Zeniera appeared next to the great wolf in a blink of an eye and as he approached her her hands flew out in an exaggerated manner.  "Can you believe they stuffed me in there?"  Fenrir found this tiny cub amusing and pointed her in the direction of the door.

She came back, each day for years bothering the wolf with her presence and though he tried ignoring her for a while her insistence and inexperience landed her in more trouble within the training grounds than anything else.  He saved her time and time again until he gave up trying to ignore her and eventually told her the origins of his chains he was forever bound too.  The story was solemn and gave Zeniera an suddenly knew outlook on life she approached him one day carrying a strange weapon.  Two years had passed since they had first meet and she had picked her weapon of choice.  A shuriken.  He found the weapon to be fitting and as she set about training he watched, rescuing her naturally when she became too overwhelmed by certain enemies.  One day after watching her struggle with having to throw the enormous weapon and retrieve it time and time again he simply nodded his head.  The shruiken began to glow with a soft light and as she looked at him questioningly he simply shrugged.  This time when she threw the weapon it appeared in her hand once more.  It was a great gift from someone who had become a dear friend to her.  The other kids at the garden had been jealous of her weapon and wanted to know where she had bought it from but she kept Fenrir all to herself.

At fourteen she took her SeeD entrance exam and passed with flying colors.  As the other students that had passed with her celebrated, she went to the training grounds and immediately challenged Fenrir to become her guardian force.  The battle was intense and he gave no inch to the stubborn child, viewing her demand of bondage to be another form of chains he did not want.  She did not win, the first time or the second time.  Each time she was knocked out he would warp her to her room and await the next year when she would arrive, on the very same day, with knew skills and magic to try again.  It was just last week when she finally over took him and the great wolf Fenrir was finally forced to serve another.  That day she told him of her specialization, infiltration and extraction and told him he was the one to inspire her to break any chains holding her back.  She told him stories of her escape artistry and did her best to fill him in on the near four years they had missed.

Appearance:
Photo
Long ice blonde hair surrounds a near angelic face with blue eyes.  Standing at a near 5'10 the young woman has long limbs that are lithe and powerful to wield and throw her heavy weapon.

GF APPLICATION
Name: Fenrir
Element: Dark
Description:
Photo
Fenrir is a giant wolf, chained to the earth by the gods that appears in a sudden appearance of night with a deep rumbling growl.  He hates all that seek to trap others and lends his powers only to those who seem worthy.
Bonus: Speed and Evasion
Special Attack:
Fenrir's Favor - When Fenrir appears, his rumbling growl becomes more ferocious as his fangs bare and his fur bristles at the enemies.  He begins pulling at his chains, fighting his confines as he snarls at them and he fights harder, thrashing about, restless to release his wrath upon them.  Until the chain holding him snaps and he barrels at the foes with an intense howl of victory.  His claws dig into whatever is beneath him as he races towards them and the moment before teeth and claws collide with the enemies he vanishes into a thick black smoke, blocking the vision of the enemies and as the smoke gradually clears all that's left for the enemies' eyes are the deep gashes from his claws on the ground while those in Zeniera's party have been warped to another set location.

Wants and Won'ts --  (updated 02/20)  |  Ideas and Inventions (open!)
Current CreationsApologies and Absences  -- (updated 04/26)

Caitlin

Quote from: AndyZ on June 29, 2012, 03:44:08 AM
*reads*

I could actually see it being either Shiva or Vishka.  I never saw Shiva as very comforting (ice entities rarely are), so it's possible but I would have actually more suggested the angel.  Your call on that, though.
Oh no, you misunderstood me. Originally I was going for something like Shiva (an Ice elemental GF, but then with wings), but instead I turned more to an angel with the holy element.

As far as the GF that saves Nasha, that's Vishka yeah. I thought it'd be interesting that she'd be her GF later on and write a story about how she became her Guardian Force and what Vishka's motivations were for becoming so. I don't want to spoil too much of my character's plot though. :-)

AndyZ

Quote from: Caitlin on June 29, 2012, 03:52:43 AM
Oh no, you misunderstood me. Originally I was going for something like Shiva (an Ice elemental GF, but then with wings), but instead I turned more to an angel with the holy element.

As far as the GF that saves Nasha, that's Vishka yeah. I thought it'd be interesting that she'd be her GF later on and write a story about how she became her Guardian Force and what Vishka's motivations were for becoming so. I don't want to spoil too much of my character's plot though. :-)

Fair enough.  I have a few things that I've hinted at with my character profile but will get more in depth on as the game goes on.

If you do decide that you want to swap for Shiva before the game begins, though, let me know.  I don't mind giving her up.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Caitlin

Quote from: AndyZ on June 29, 2012, 03:54:43 AM
Fair enough.  I have a few things that I've hinted at with my character profile but will get more in depth on as the game goes on.

If you do decide that you want to swap for Shiva before the game begins, though, let me know.  I don't mind giving her up.
I'm quite happy with this set-up. I didn't want to use any of the existing GF's and preferred to come up with something of my own, that matches the style of FF VIII. I like creating new characters and if I got the chance to work on a FF title then this is the kind of GF I'd have added. ^_^

With my original idea I thought my GF could have been a sister of Shiva (Permafrost would have summoned a giant ice glacier that dealt moderate ice damage and put slow on the targets), but I still wouldn't have taken Shiva herself. I thought it'd be better to leave her to somebody else.

Somebody else could still go for a sister of Shiva if they want a similar GF and create a slightly different attack. I can imagine that Shiva is very popular. ;)

Fenrir

I considered so many GF's from the game myself- Ifrit, Cerberus, and of course Bahamut.  But I could not resist putting my own spin on Fenrir from FF6 *grins* 

Caitlin

It's a nice backstory yeah!

I thought we were supposed to capture the GF's as part of an exam though, but you could always 'time warp' things a little and have this story happen as that exam. ;)

kckolbe

I am still trying to decide.  I am considering going with Siren (who could also tie in with Shiva/Vishka) and having her junction improve luck, which could make for some fun posts and give the GM a nice excuse to throw us a bone when needed.  I'm still a bit bothered by the lack of a system, since combat is such a huge part of any FF game.  I'm also worried about what the posting rate will be. 
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Caitlin

I'm aiming at roughly 3 - 4 posts a week, so about 1 post every 2 days. If the game is very active I'll naturally be posting more as well though. It really depends on the activity of others for me. This game won't have my main priority, but I do want to actively contribute as well.

Fenrir

Quote from: Caitlin on June 29, 2012, 04:12:48 AM
It's a nice backstory yeah!

I thought we were supposed to capture the GF's as part of an exam though, but you could always 'time warp' things a little and have this story happen as that exam. ;)

Thank you, I made it myself ;) *giggles*

As for it being part of an exam- I could see that and she can still take that exam but even Squall had a GF- Insert GF's strange Q name that I am too lazy to look up, that should have been Ramuh- before he took his exam to fight Ifrit.

Quote from: kckolbe on June 29, 2012, 04:16:14 AM
I am still trying to decide.  I am considering going with Siren (who could also tie in with Shiva/Vishka) and having her junction improve luck, which could make for some fun posts and give the GM a nice excuse to throw us a bone when needed.  I'm still a bit bothered by the lack of a system, since combat is such a huge part of any FF game.  I'm also worried about what the posting rate will be. 

Mmm... Siren, she would be a lovely choice.  I also worry about not having- some sort of system for combat- we are mercenaries after all... and as much as I prefer free form writing I also have run into those characters that *nothing* bad can happen to during free form.

AndyZ

Quote from: Caitlin on June 29, 2012, 04:05:32 AM
I'm quite happy with this set-up. I didn't want to use any of the existing GF's and preferred to come up with something of my own, that matches the style of FF VIII. I like creating new characters and if I got the chance to work on a FF title then this is the kind of GF I'd have added. ^_^

With my original idea I thought my GF could have been a sister of Shiva (Permafrost would have summoned a giant ice glacier that dealt moderate ice damage and put slow on the targets), but I still wouldn't have taken Shiva herself. I thought it'd be better to leave her to somebody else.

Somebody else could still go for a sister of Shiva if they want a similar GF and create a slightly different attack. I can imagine that Shiva is very popular. ;)

Yeah, I just figured it'd be more fun to have something straight from the game.  If someone else wants Shiva, though, I have other ideas.

Quote from: kckolbe on June 29, 2012, 04:16:14 AM

I tend to post every day.

Quote from: Fenrir on June 29, 2012, 04:19:19 AM
Thank you, I made it myself ;) *giggles*

As for it being part of an exam- I could see that and she can still take that exam but even Squall had a GF- Insert GF's strange Q name that I am too lazy to look up, that should have been Ramuh- before he took his exam to fight Ifrit.

Mmm... Siren, she would be a lovely choice.  I also worry about not having- some sort of system for combat- we are mercenaries after all... and as much as I prefer free form writing I also have run into those characters that *nothing* bad can happen to during free form.

Quetzacouatl IIRC.

Caitlin

Quetzalcoatl yes. :-)

I'm also familiar with people that take no damage during fights and it tends to make games boring quickly yeah. I'm not really familiar with anything outside of freeform though, so while I can understand the logic in it, I have no idea how it would pan out.

Florence

All the characters are wonderful! :D

I'm working on some characters of my own... was gonna make at least one female character, but now I'm not so sure, given how much of a clam bake this is turning into xD;
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

kckolbe

Still working on one, myself, but haven't made much progress with the concept.  Will all of us be playing students or are instructors fair game?

Intro Thread

Caitlin

Keep in mind we'll need at least 1 instructor that can interact with the students. Only SeeD are allowed to accompany students on prerequisites or small missions.

Florence

I was intending to play instructors and other such characters myself. If we get enough people, I wouldn't mind it, but I want to focus on the students. And as it is we need more male students, or we'll have an entire class of girls, practically xD;
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

kckolbe

Definitely understandable.  What's the oldest you are comfortable with as a student?

EDIT:  Never mind, found the answer.

Intro Thread

Caitlin

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on June 29, 2012, 05:26:49 AM
I was intending to play instructors and other such characters myself. If we get enough people, I wouldn't mind it, but I want to focus on the students. And as it is we need more male students, or we'll have an entire class of girls, practically xD;
I figured as much that you'd be playing them yeah. ;)

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to add an additional character to add some more males in the mix, or I'd have done so.

Florence

Quote from: Caitlin on June 29, 2012, 05:34:27 AM
I figured as much that you'd be playing them yeah. ;)

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to add an additional character to add some more males in the mix, or I'd have done so.

It's perfectly okay xD worst case I'll just NPC a few of them.

AndyZ

I could see about switching to a male character idea if it'd be preferred.

kckolbe

It's all right, Andy.  There were several interested males, myself included.  This version is a bit bare bones as I wanted to leave a lot open to weave his backstory in with another character's, whether it be as childhood friend or sibling. 

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: James Melcher
Enrollment Age: 5

Weapon: Undecided in character
Specialization: Slightly below average in everything, but blessed with fortune
Personality: Easy-going, though a bit insecure given that he has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.  He hates being mediocre at best, though even after putting in a lot of effort he still falls shy of being a top performer.
Backstory: James was enrolled by his parents at the age of 5, (one or both of them having been SeeD themselves at one of the Gardens).  As a child, James showed amazing potential, almost showing himself to be untouchable, even though he was extremely timid.  As he progressed, though, his gift seemed to wear off, and more and more he found himself losing in sparring sessions and failing to cast spells.  Always a mediocre academic, his scores even started dropping off a little.  He was already attempted his final trial at least once, but the trial(s) were not deemed adequate.
Appearance:

GF APPLICATION
Name: Fortunata
Element: Luck
Description: Like a pale version of Siren without the harp
Bonus: Luck
Special Attack: Casts protective spells (protect/shell)

Intro Thread

Caitlin

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on June 29, 2012, 05:58:07 AM
It's perfectly okay xD worst case I'll just NPC a few of them.
Hey now... It just means more women for you. ;)

Having one male character surrounded by hot and needy teenage girls ought to be every teenager's dream. :P

kckolbe

Can't say I'm not looking forward to some of it.  ~smiles~

Intro Thread

Florence

Quote from: Caitlin on June 29, 2012, 06:12:24 AM
Hey now... It just means more women for you. ;)

Having one male character surrounded by hot and needy teenage girls ought to be every teenager's dream. :P

xD; funny enough, last FF8 RP I was in, my character wound up with like... 3 separate love interests xD;

We'll see how he does this time :D