Dragon Riders of Pern : Interest Check

Started by SweetSerenade, December 05, 2014, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetSerenade

Main GM : SweetSerenade
Co-GM : Chrystal
Artist: -Available-
Graphics Maker: -Available-
Wiki - Pern: Skies of Fire - Completed! ME and Chrystal may add more information periodically as needed for player understanding.
OOC - [P: Skies of Fire] OOC

Please PM Profiles to both me and Chrystal, when you are approved for your first character you may start posting in the OOC that will be linked here as soon as it is made! After acceptance your character Profiles will be added to a special Page on the Wiki, under your username, where your character information will be catalogued for easy viewing.
Human/Dragon Profile Format

Wiki-style Character Sheet.... Human.

== Type Name Here ==
[[File:name of file here|right|300px]]
'''Human'''

=== Gender ===

Type Here

=== Sexuality ===

Type Here

=== Age ===

Type Here

=== Appearance ===

Type Here

=== Position and/or Rank ===

Type Here

=== Dragon ===

Type Hete

=== Likes ===

Type Here

=== Dislikes ===

Type Here

=== Personality ===

Type Here

=== History ===

Type Here

=== Any Other Info ===

Type Here

[[Pern: Skies Of Fire|Back]]

Wiki-Style Character Sheet - Dragon

== Type Name Here ==
[[File:Dragon Image File here|right|300px]]
'''Dragon'''

=== Colour ===

Type Here

=== Age: ===

Type Here

=== Appearance ===

Type Here

=== Rank ===

Type Here

=== Rider ===

Type Here

=== Likes ===

Type Here

=== Dislikes ===

Type Here

=== Personality ===

Type Here

=== History ===

Type Here

=== Any Other Info ===

Type Here

[[Pern: Skies Of Fire|Back]]

Please Note: The equals signs = on the headings are important. If they are changed the code will not work correctly. :-*
(Profile Formats made by the lovely Chrystal)

Pern

A series based in a science fiction setting, though if you do not read the starting books you think it is fantsy due to the dragons. Pern is a world of open possibilities, of amazing feats of heroism, or the capability to craft amazing things. This is a setting that can reach to the heavens, and fall to the deepest pits of hell - with the characters and plots it can produce.

The setting is Igen Weyr, the Turn 2822 - 300 turns after Jaxom and Ruth re-found AIVAS. 300 turns after Landing was beginning excavations after so many years of not being known. 300 Turns since Thread was permanently banished due to the power and beauty of the white Dragon Ruth.

This will be a game that requires dedicated players, people that understand the setting - or are willing to learn. I am fully willing to walk people through character creation, and what is and isn't possible in this Pern setting.

Plot

After the finding of AIVAS, and the banishing of Thread, Pern could flourish once more. Ruth and Jaxom had made it possible, had made a bright future for the Pernese. Time has passed and many advancements have made themselves within the Pernese communities.

Women and Men can both equally attain ranking and standing within the Craft Halls. Though ages still play a huge factor, so no one under the age of 25 can be a Master in any craft. No one under 40 can be THE Master of a craft. The Craft halls have expanded, and even have a better training course set into place.

Pern is now in what we would consider Earth's Victorian Age. Though we do not wear those silly clothes, the Pernese still enjoy their rather rustic easy to wear garments. Though some more risque than others. But what this means for the game is there is more medical technologies. They can perform surgery more easily, and effectively - more medical possibilities. But do not go too far in the future, they still do not use X-rays or most mapping technology. Bone setting is done the same way as before, and they only have more sterile blood transfusion processes.

Steam power has happened, and there is small steam rails that run between the Main Holds and Weyrs. These are for the quick transport of goods that are being sent to other locations. No normal person can have access to the rails, as they are still in their test phase and are very exspensive. The 'Steam Workers Hall' is relatively new, only 20 turns old. They provide the needed engines for the Steam Caravans, and the Steam ships that cross between the Northern and Southern Continents of Pern.

Pern is advancing on new horizons, but the advancements in Tehcnology has brought a rise of people who fear it. These people 'OldTimers' of a different breed, are dead against the change in Technology. They want Pern to remain as their ancestors intended. As such they have begun tactics that would destroy any new advances in technology.

But the most concerning aspect of this game is the fact that all of the Weyrs have seen a change in the way things are. Recently, in the last Turn, all of their Queens have risen at least once. The cluthes laid in the last quarter of a Turn have all contained a Golden Egg. The Harpers speak of the fact that this is a sure sign of the return of thread. A mere few turns away, if that. Dragons are trying to protect the people, but no one wants to believe in the sudden change in dragon clutching. Slowly but surely over the last ten turns more clutching has happened than in the past 200 turns.

What could this mean for the future of Pern? Is thread really returning? What can the Riders, the Crafters, the Holdspeople do about the Oldtimers? What is tthe true agenda of the OldTimers? And why does it seem like something larger is on the horizon?

What will you choose? Where will you stand?

Pern: Skies of Fire

Special Game Note:

I want people to know that I have absolutely NOTHING against sexualities, or transgendered individuals.

But I AM sticking to Perns standards for Impression. Certain Gender/Sexualities are the only ones that can impress certain Dragons. Unfortunately, this means trans characters will impress based on their born identity - not their chosen one. This means no born males will ever ride gold, and no born females will ever ride bronze. I am sorry, but that is Pern rules - not mine.

This is a VERY LGBT Friendly game, and if you are patient I promise you there is more awesome dragons on the horizon. We intend on bringing in some mutations, based on the original colors, in a future hatching. This dragons are a little more... interesting and more likely to have different impression basis.

As another note, this will not be a sex focused game. This is about story development and the pushing forward of the world. Candidates for Dragons/Whers and Werylings/Wherlings are forbidden from having sex until they either Age Out(No longer eligeable as a candidate) or Graduate(They bonded and are now considered full members of their respective group). Pregnant characters will also neither impress Whers or Dragons. No exceptions.[/size]

Interested Players
I would like ten players, to start the game. At least Ten, that is.

6/10
SweetSerenade
Chrystal
Ms Gavane
Caela
DonGiovanni
Doji Hoturi

Tentative Characters

Profiles will of course need to be written for approval to be granted completely, but this is a tentative list of characters for the game starting.

Sweet Serenade:

Lunesta - Daughter of Lord Lunaris of Half-Circle Sea-Hold. 21 Turns (Not capable of being a Candidate due to Albinism), Latent HAD abilities. (Hear all Dragons) -note this ability will be limited, but will be allowed in this game. - Demisexual

Morrag Rider of Brown Morrath - 57 Turns. Master Harper of Dance and Defense.  - Pansexual
Morriggan - Journeyman Harper of Dance and Defense - 24 Turns - Female - Daughter of Morrag and T'rigan (Of Green Silith) - Does not seek Impression or Wherbonding- Gold Firelizard named Firestar. - Asexual(Assumed)

Trinnis - 19 Turns. Journeyman in Smithcraft. Specialization in 'Clockwork'. Makes pocketwatches and large time keepers. Possible Searchable Candidate. Heterosexual

A'bane - Male - Heterosexual - Dragon Rider Bronze
Beton - Male - Bisexual with Heterosexual Tendencies - Wher Handler (Blue)
Nixiel - Male - Asexual but Heteromantic - Journeyman SteamCrafter Stationed at Igen Weyr to overlook their 'Caravan' Station.
C'las - Male - Heterosexual - Dragon Rider Blue

Caela:
Jr Weyrwoman (Gold Rider) Heterosexual

Chrystal:
Head Woman
White Rider(Male)/ Weyrharper

Ms Gavane:

DonGiovanni:

Doji Hoturi:

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Verasaille

Count me in!! I love what we are doing so far. I may have multiple characters if that is all right.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

SweetSerenade

Multiple characters is perfectly fine. I am thinking that until we get enough people/posts - I may stick the game in ONE thread... and have people use headers for each of their characters.

I think a 'Game Information Thread' will cover things like Dragons - Firelizards - Whers - Craft Halls and Positions - Basic information on Pern - Terminologies - Pernese Curse words (Because they use special ones, they do not use fuck the way we do - nor do they use bitch the way we do.)

Game Info
Character Database
IC Thread
OOC Thread

I think that would be more than enough for the start of a game? Though it may take me weeks to get all of the game information written up so people understand the basic details of this setting, if they never read pern (Though I will suggest they read them XD), and details for the more advanced setting (For those that have experience with Pern alread)...

I am going to limit the number of dragons, and I am trying to think of a fair way to fill slots. I am going to set ages for some of the characters, like none of the Weyrwomen for ANY of the weyrs are under the age of 45. We willhave to make adjustments specifically for this. Say that Dragon Riders are no longer selected at young ages, they are picked up at 16 and have till they are 21 to Impress. Because then we do not have to worry about a bunch of kids running around.

Chrystal

Okay, as a HUGE McCaffrey fan I am most definitely interested.

Just to prove it...! I will give Lexandria a nudge to see if she wants in too.

One thing about Anne McCaffrey: She was definitely not homophobic by any means, far from it. I suspect she was one of those women who get turned on by seeing two men together! But she seriously was NOT into lesbians...

In all the later (chronologically) dragon books, ALL the dragon riders are male except the queen riders, with the exception of Mirrim, who unexpectedly impresses a green and re-establishes the precedent. In the earliest (chronologically) books, greens are ridden by women.

In my one-on-one above, set at the start of the third pass, my female character impresses a brown, setting a precedent, and her girlfriend impresses a green. The way I see it, the weyrs are the refuge for the sexually promiscuous that the holds and halls can't deal with. Gay men impress greens, so why should gay women not impress browns and/or blues?

What would be your thoughts on this?

Also, just a warning: many have tried to run DRoP group games here, including myself... Few succeed. That said, you have my 100% support!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Chrystal on December 05, 2014, 06:39:21 PM
Okay, as a HUGE McCaffrey fan I am most definitely interested.

Just to prove it...! I will give Lexandria a nudge to see if she wants in too.

One thing about Anne McCaffrey: She was definitely not homophobic by any means, far from it. I suspect she was one of those women who get turned on by seeing two men together! But she seriously was NOT into lesbians...

In all the later (chronologically) dragon books, ALL the dragon riders are male except the queen riders, with the exception of Mirrim, who unexpectedly impresses a green and re-establishes the precedent. In the earliest (chronologically) books, greens are ridden by women.

In my one-on-one above, set at the start of the third pass, my female character impresses a brown, setting a precedent, and her girlfriend impresses a green. The way I see it, the weyrs are the refuge for the sexually promiscuous that the holds and halls can't deal with. Gay men impress greens, so why should gay women not impress browns and/or blues?

What would be your thoughts on this?

Also, just a warning: many have tried to run DRoP group games here, including myself... Few succeed. That said, you have my 100% support!

Impression Sets

Gold - Heterosexual Leadership Quality Women Only - This means Physical sex, not mental gender.
Bronze - Heterosexual Leadership Quality Men Only - This means physical sex, not mental gender.
Brown - Heterosexual/Bisexual/Pansexual Very Rarely Gay Leadership - Steady Fast - Reliable Riders only. Male or female, born or identifying.
Blue - Bisexual/Pansexual/Gay Male or Female - Creative individuals - Good at judging people. Male or Female, born or Identifying.
Green - Gay/Pansexual/Heterosexual(Females, Born) - Pretty much just about anyone can impress a Green... nuff said.
White - They generally either pick Demisexual, or Asexual Riders. Though any sexuality has imrpessed them through our current game history. As a note, only 1 out of every 10 whites is a female. Females are very rare in Pern, and this is the statistics of Whites taht survive Weyrlinghood. Given their fragile nature most do not make it through Weyrling hood, even though all eggs are Hatch'Helped by Ancestral Order of Ruth and Jaxom.

I hope that really helps you with an idea of what I am looking at doing. If I can get help from others, gathering the information and everything it would be easier to teach others. :D Basically I figure if someone is really interested in joining picking up 'The White Dragon' or one of the other books isn't THAT hard. Plus I am so willing to teach people.

I will also be listing all the Holds, and who is leading them currently. As well as any children those Lord/Lady Holders have. As well as listing all the 'new' Holds for our game specifically. Will also make a basic list of adoptables for people who want some of their work handled for them. XD But I am basically setting some restrictions because otherwise we have a slew of people demanding things their way, and the game gets derailed.

I am WAY more likely to accept Green Riders, than I am Bronze or Gold... and White Riders? They have to go through a specific regimen with me, and take some pretty serious trust with me. Because I have had an entire game destroyed because of someone deadest on derailing the plot.

SweetSerenade

Maybe I can even design a special tag that shows which dragons are Trans Friendly - and Multi Sexuality Friendly?

Chrystal

There is a Pern Wiki and a vast wealth of data on the dragons and riders, also a vast array of RPGs set in the tenth or eleventh passes (which assume that AIVAS failed to divert the red star!)

Something you MUST make clear at this stage is that all dragon names end in "th", and all male riders names are given an honorific contraction!

So Stephen becomes St'phen, Gregory becomes Gr'gory. A long name like Bartholomew can be contracted a number of ways: B'lomew is probably the easiest, but Bart'lomew works as well...

Ruth is a male dragon.

But yes, the Pern Wiki has everything from a list of all holds, halls and weyres, to the colours a dragons eyes go to reflect their mood!

http://pern.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

It can be difficult to navigate. The best thing I think is to just use the search box!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

SweetSerenade

Oh I am aware of the Wiki Chrystal, but there will be some game specific changes.

In this instance AIVAS did divert the Red Star for a long time. But it only started showing signs recently, and people do not want to believe it has returned.

But yeah, I was pretty much going to make it clear on the Pern basics what all of those thigns were. This is not my first time running a Pern game, I have run over ten sites over the 12 years I have been doing Forum based gaming... and I have been the main creator of at least four... XD

Chrystal

In that case, let's do this!

Please forgive me for butting in all excitedly. I shall sit back and be here if you need someone to ask something of from now on...

Quick questions:

Are you planning on the usual method of having rider and dragon played by the same player, or allowing players to play only a rider or only a dragon?

Are non-impressed weyrfolk going to be playable or NPC?

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Chrystal on December 05, 2014, 07:36:56 PM
In that case, let's do this!

Please forgive me for butting in all excitedly. I shall sit back and be here if you need someone to ask something of from now on...

Quick questions:

Are you planning on the usual method of having rider and dragon played by the same player, or allowing players to play only a rider or only a dragon?

Are non-impressed weyrfolk going to be playable or NPC?

If someone joines with a Rider and their dragon they play both of them. They will even be required to fill out a profile for the dragon. Dragons can be pretty cool. I can also offer plenty of free bases for people to make their dragon designs...

NOW if they join as a Candidate - they will not play their dragon until their dragon is bonded to them. That will be made pretty clear in the post... I am thinking about picking custom color codes for dragons too. All dragon speech will be represented in italics and probably with brackets of some sort like <Shirroth says we must go quickly[/color]> - good idea?

But yeah! Anyone will be playable. Weyr or otherwise. Crafter or otherwise. Holder... everyone. But there will still be rules on impressing as a Candidate. There will be a few stands impressions, very rarely. But a majority of dragon riders WILL be chosen from the pool of candidates. Ages 16-21 people of full sound mind and body. Meaning no one crippled can be a candidate(But that does not mean a crippled person cannot impress from the Stands) - No one mentally unsound can impress (This is going to be a firm set of PERIOD... because dragons are very specifically wired)

The other thing I will be making pretty clear is that dragons do not have a sexuality. Flat out. They only feel sexual urges when Risingssss happen. No mating flight? Dragons are just flirty. Mating flight? Dragons have sex or try to have sex. Losers end up very sexually frustrated.

XD I will basically have to sit down and right out a lot of rules and information, so people understand things. IN the information for Burning Skies I will likely make a post for each section that needs addressing >.< Which will take a lot of time and work. But it will be worth it in the long run.

I will also make a rule that people can join with a Firelizard attached to a character... ONE character, unless they PM me with a specific reason why they think they are capable of earning more than one.

I am thinking about adding a mark system, like I do in other games. Or I will just flat out tell someone "Unless you have been saving marks for awhile you could not afford X".. XD .... Yeah I am not new to this at all.

SweetSerenade

Annoucement!

Chrystal has been super duper de duper helpful! If we can get enough interested people, she will be a beautiful lady who helps me get the information all neatly lined up in the Database!

I have a lot of hopes and dreams for this game. We need people up for playing Riders (Both young and old), Crafts People, Holds People, and Candidates! As a note, right now we are only accepting Riders from Igen Weyr - as that is the main focus on the game. As we get more people, and possibly get a sub-section of our own, we will expand for more Weyrs.

I would like to say that I expect one decently written Paragraph PER Character, Per Post. Dragons are characters, and the player of Rider/Weyrling WILL play the dragon as well. No exceptions.

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

SweetSerenade

la dame en noir

Still thinking, but ill be cooking up some sort of character soon :)
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Angie

Sorta kinda interested...though I'm already making plans to do something totally insane, yet still within the setting. I must read...
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

SweetSerenade

Quote from: la dame en noir on December 05, 2014, 09:13:37 PM
Still thinking, but ill be cooking up some sort of character soon :)

We do not have profile layouts or anything like that yet, and we are going to be doing full listings of the Lord/Lady Holders and their children :D This will make it easier for people to slide in. As soon as we get enough interest we will start working on the pages.

If you need help with any character ideas, let me know.

Are you new to Pern? Or an long time/new time lover of it? :D

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 05, 2014, 09:15:41 PM
Sorta kinda interested...though I'm already making plans to do something totally insane, yet still within the setting. I must read...

Please PM and Chrystal with any possible 'crazy' ideas you have. That way I can let you know how to make them work. XD With enough interest we will start getting things laid out more openly :D Shall I add you to the list of the interesteds?

Angie

I suppose it depends on the level of tech-I'm assuming Steampunk-ish? I'm relatively new to all this, though I pick up quickly. Must find and read books.

SweetSerenade

Well normal Pern was a much less tech advanced setting. This game has more advancements because fo Jaxom and Ruth helping them find Landing again. So that means sort of steampunk? But not really. There is steam ships and steam caravans... but the technology has only been actively around for about 20 turns. They have better Healer work, and some better Smith Work - Leather Working... just better ways of dealing with the everyday stuff.

All Holds and Weyrs now have fully working indoor plumbing (thank the gods)... and Craft Halls are now learning instituations where you can have normal Apprentices/Journeyman/Masters/TheMaster - but it also has 'Interims' which are people who show up to learn a particular thing for a period of time. Kind of almost like a college :D

Angie

Hmmmm....you may find yourself with a Healer type character...I do love playing the support type characters. You never know you need them until you need them.

Oh, and yes, add me to the list.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 05, 2014, 09:31:29 PM
Hmmmm....you may find yourself with a Healer type character...I do love playing the support type characters. You never know you need them until you need them.

Oh, and yes, add me to the list.

Healers are awesome! Just plain Healer, or someone capable of Impression to Wher or Dragon? :D

Either way, glad to have you on board!

Angie

Quote from: SweetSerenade on December 05, 2014, 09:35:04 PM
Healers are awesome! Just plain Healer, or someone capable of Impression to Wher or Dragon? :D

Either way, glad to have you on board!

I almost feel like going straight Healer, if only because I love pulling the "Badass Normal" trope, but I also feel like going with the capable of Impression thing too...

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 05, 2014, 09:37:54 PM
I almost feel like going straight Healer, if only because I love pulling the "Badass Normal" trope, but I also feel like going with the capable of Impression thing too...

Well there are specilizations within the graft. There are some people that focus on Trauma Healer Craft, some taht focus on Rehabilitation, Mental Healer (Mind Healers are basically shrinks lol), Surgeons, Children Doctors... all sorts of stuff.

If you want eligeibility for impression you will need to make sure your character is between 16-1 (If they are going to be an official Candidate in the weyr)

Angie

Damnit, Sweet, you're tempting me with rebuilding Dr. Angelo for the fifth time! Though Dr. Angelo would be way too old to qualify for Impression.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 05, 2014, 09:46:52 PM
Damnit, Sweet, you're tempting me with rebuilding Dr. Angelo for the fifth time! Though Dr. Angelo would be way too old to qualify for Impression.

YOU are allowed to play more than one character. XD Though I should probably mention that common names on earth are not common on pern.

XD MOst Pernese make names based off of a combination of the mother and fathers name... XD Very rarely will they reuse a family members name, but that isn't unheard of. Though Angelo is easy to make... XD I mean I have a character name Angelischiel

Angie

The name is barely important, what IS important is the personality. Which I have firmly in mind and will explain as soon as I build him for this setting. I am allowed to have a doctor that also kicks ass with a sword, right?