So, there's a certain book on Amazon.

Started by Wolfy, April 09, 2011, 05:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

there is a lot i dont like about america

but freedom of information and equality regardless of culture color or creed is sublime.

Those two really are incredibly wise foundations that support a society maturing, and something for americans to be proud of - at least in principal before practice

wow i find myself agreeing to and being agreed to in this forum ... must be a full moon :)

Star Safyre

Quote from: Kate on April 27, 2011, 07:06:21 AM
There is a lot I don't like about America, but freedom of information and equality regardless of culture color or creed is sublime.

Those two really are incredibly wise foundations that support a society maturing, and something for Americans to be proud of - at least in principal before practice.

Spreading first-hand knowledge of how to sexually assault children has nothing to do with "freedom of information and equality regardless of culture color or creed".  I hardly call permitting the spread of illegal and immoral skills and financial gains from child rape "society maturing".
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Star Safyre

Quote from: Lyell on April 26, 2011, 08:16:25 PM
This line of thought also brings to mind something I neglected to mention in my own post. A more informed population would be able to recognize dangers more readily and react to them properly. Something about keeping your head in the sand and leaving your ass exposed. This touches base with a real case that happened a few weeks back. Some girl was physically touched by a previously convicted sex offender. Trained -by her parents- to react she slipped out of his grasp and bolted, as opposed to say freezing up and not knowing what to do.

I was similarly taught by my own parents.  They gained this knowledge through educational programs provided by local police, not by reading a first-hand account from any child molester.  There was ways of informing oneself on how to protect oneself and one's loved ones without putting money in the pockets of criminals or encouraging sex offenders to indulge in spreading their immoral knowledge.

Kate

Star your attitude, management and outcome suits you.

Do you believe your view should be one that should be adopted by others who disagree ?

Should you adopt anothers views on "appropriate management" for which you disagree with ?

Star Safyre

Quote from: Kate on April 27, 2011, 07:40:24 AM
Star, your attitude, management, and outcome suit you.

Could you clarify what you mean by "management" and "outcome"?  I'm honestly not sure how to take this statement.

That being said, I'll indulge this digression into my own thought process if you could relate how it's relevant to the topic, please.

QuoteDo you believe your view should be one that should be adopted by others who disagree?

Isn't that the nature of opinions?  I fail to imagine an incident in which a person doesn't want those who disagree with them to change their minds.  How is this question relevant to the topic?

QuoteShould you adopt another's views on "appropriate management" which you disagree with?

I'm unsure what you mean by "appropriate management," but if you meant to ask if I should change my opinion to adopt another person's, I would have no issue doing so as long as I understood the logic and morality behind that viewpoint.

Kate

hmm on second reading of your post i think i interpreted yours views as
a stance on what others should do more than i should have.

Sorry Star

Star Safyre

Quote from: Kate on April 27, 2011, 08:01:58 AM
Hmm, on second reading of your post I think I interpreted your views as a stance on what others should do more than I should have.

Sorry, Star

No apologies necessary.  I'm glad my tone and meaning became clear.

Lyell

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 27, 2011, 07:15:32 AM
...They gained this knowledge through educational programs provided by local police, not by reading a first-hand account from any child molester.

I have an issue with this line particularly, for two reasons.

1) Not everyone trusts the police.

2) The author has no previous criminal history and labeling his book as evidence of first-hand account, without any knowledge of his education or the materials used for research, is sketchy.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.