News:

Main Menu

Movie Musicals

Started by rachelongaku, December 25, 2011, 06:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachelongaku

AFI's - 25 Greatest Movie Musicals

So, I just watched this. If you don't want to take the time to watch it and would rather read the list, here you go.
25. Moulin Rouge
24. Show Boat
23. Guys and Dolls
22. Beauty and the Beast
21. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
20. Grease
19. On the Town
18. Yankey Doodle Dandy
17. The Band Wagon
16. Funny Girl
15. Top Hat
14. All that jazz
13. 42nd Street
12. Chicago
11. The King and I
10. Meet Me in St. Louis
9. An American in Paris
8. My Fair Lady
7. A Star is Born
6. Mary Poppins
5. Cabaret
4. The Sound of Music
3. The Wizard of Oz
2. West Side Story
1. Singing In The Rain

I agree with A LOT of this list, including the number one and two spots. There are actually more on here that I haven't seen than I thought. I haven't seen A Star is Born, All that Jazz, Top hat, The Band Wagon, and Yankee Doodle Dandy. But here's my list of the ones I have seen.
10. Grease
9. The King and I
8. Cabaret
7. Chicago
6. Mary Poppins
5. My Fair Lady
4. The Wizard of Oz
3. The Sound of Music
2. West Side story
1. Singing in the Rain

Honorable Mentions: Guys And Dolls & Moulin Rouge

What do you think?
Haven't been here in years but I'm in need of a good distraction!

Oniya

I haven't seen enough movie musicals to make a top 10 list, but I'm a big fan of '1776' with William Daniels, and 'Pirates of Penzance' with Kevin Kline. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

rachelongaku

Quote from: Oniya on December 25, 2011, 06:55:41 PM
I haven't seen enough movie musicals to make a top 10 list, but I'm a big fan of '1776' with William Daniels, and 'Pirates of Penzance' with Kevin Kline.
Ah. I like those musicals too! 1776 definately would've made my top 25. The music alone is really good.
Haven't been here in years but I'm in need of a good distraction!

TentacleFan

I have seen some of those titles, not all. I like Grease pretty well, Moulin Rouge, Beauty & The Beast, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, & Mary Poppins all as well.

Not included here I love Little Shop Of Horrors, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Repo: The Genetic Opera. Titles I can understand why they wouldn't be on AFI's list but I still enjoy.

I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Beguile's Mistress

I've seen all of the movies on your list and watch them anytime I can catch them on Turner Classic Movies or one of the non-commercial retro channels.  I have some of them on tap and several on CDs as well.