BBS Code Question

Started by Lord Mayerling, October 12, 2013, 06:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mayerling

Is there a way you can code a table to align text vertically within a cell? I don't think I've ever seen this on a board.

HockeyGod

I'm not sure if I'm understanding right so, just to clarify you can center in a cell of a table in HTML two ways - either centered left to right (horizontally) and centered top to bottom (vertically). I think the latter is what you're talking about.

If so...I've had the same question and the only answer I have found is here or here. I imagine there has to be some kind of alignment using the TD code...but in my OCD I haven't found it  :'(

Lord Mayerling

Thanks, but no, I'm talking about placing the text itself vertically within the cell, 90 degrees from standard like you can in Excel.

Vekseid

I could add BBCode to rotate text 90 degrees, but I'm not aware of any css that would let me make a 'vertical text' BBCode.

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Vekseid on October 13, 2013, 08:21:00 AM
I could add BBCode to rotate text 90 degrees, but I'm not aware of any css that would let me make a 'vertical text' BBCode.

What you are suggesting is precisely what I'm looking for, yes.

Vekseid

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on October 13, 2013, 10:12:23 AM
What you are suggesting is precisely what I'm looking for, yes.

Feel free to poke me about it if I don't have something up tonight.

Edit: Assuming the raw rotation is what you want - tilt your head sideways and would look normal.

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Vekseid on October 13, 2013, 11:04:00 AM
Feel free to poke me about it if I don't have something up tonight.

Edit: Assuming the raw rotation is what you want - tilt your head sideways and would look normal.

Exactly. Thank you very much.

Vekseid

Good news: It works

Bad news: It likes to go off into lala land, so will take me a bit to nail it down.

Lord Mayerling

*blinks*

I don't know what that means, Dr. Frankenstein, but we're all depending on you.

Vekseid

You're the third random person to call me that this week. That's unnerving >_>

Well, you want to rotate some words, but in software, you also need to define the axis around which you are rotating. It is currently choosing lala point in nowheresland as said axis.

This is fine if rotating exact/near squares, and defining it so, but different parts of the software decide to do different things if you rotate a non-square something besides a multiple of 90 degrees.

Might end up putting flipped and reversed text first, as that will be easier, because the dimensions don't change and the software avoids thinking it's smarter than it is.

Lord Mayerling

At least his heart was in the right place.

Rogue

Quote from: Vekseid on October 19, 2013, 12:46:52 PM
You're the third random person to call me that this week. That's unnerving >_>

Probably because it's Halloween time and you definitely stitch this place together quite a bit. :)

Vekseid

I guess some people just get confused every now and then. Truly unfortunate.

Oniya

You look funny with your head like that.  :)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

It's even funnier this way!  :)