Idea for a Dnd Game-Seeking Thoughts

Started by National Acrobat, November 26, 2005, 12:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

National Acrobat

Hello, new to the board, long time RPer, been GMing for a very long time.

I like to run a serious, deeply involved game using the DnD Rules, which edition matters not to me, I can run 1E, 2E or 3E. Dice are just too important for me to not use.

I tend to run in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms, because most people are familiar with the settings.

Sex is not the most important part of the games I run, but it happens between characters, and I encourage a total experience while running a game, for character and story development. My games tend to be an even mix of RP, Combat and mystery. While I am not a stickler for the amount of words that you put into a post, I am for grammar and getting your point across to others.

Would anyone here be interested in a FR or Greyhawk game based on these criteria that would start at First level?

The game would revolve around trying to discover who has stolen an artifact, and attempting to recover it. It wouldn't, of course be mentioned at the lower levels, as you would be building up to discovering that. It would basically be a travel across the realms, as much sightseeing and RP as a real quest. It would be long term, and while the dangers would be many, so would the rewards.

Let me know if you are interested, or PM me if you have any other DnD or D20 Future type requests.

Natalie C. Barney

All depends on the story and other players but I LOVE D&D but only have the 2nd Edition Rules (players) and 3.0/3.5 Rules with the FR campaign setting which I very much prefer. Will you be using the Magic of Faerun and Dieities of Faerun books? Any other supplimental materials like Masters of the Wild?
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

National Acrobat

My general sources that I use are:

Core Rules
FRCS
Dieties of Faerun
Complete Arcane
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine

In the event that you don't have the Complete Books, the 3.0 Splatbooks are fine: Masters of the Wild, Defenders of the Faith, Sword and Fist, Song and Silence.

The story itself unfolds across the campaign. This particular campaign I have been running on RPOL for almost four years and the characters in that version are now 13th level.

It began in Harrowdale, and then went to Sundabar, Calimshan, Silverymoon, The Cold Wood, back to Silverymoon and now the Underdark.

The basic premise is that a powerful artifact has been stolen, and the taker has offered it to many evil organizations for a price. The group has the job of tracking it down and either destroying it or taking it somewhere for safekeeping. However, the current group that is in play is 13th level and still hasn't gotten their hands on it.

It's equal parts combat, story and mystery, roughly 33% each.

LordAnubis

Will you allow any varients from Unearthed Arcana?  For reference.  I'd be intrested in joining a DnD game, 3.5 ed prefered.

National Acrobat

No, afraid not. I don't really like UA that much, to be frank. I like to have limits because things tend to get out of control with too many sources and variants allowed, if that makes sense.

Natalie C. Barney

Hummmm ok then I'll be in may I suggest a sight we use in DND: Shadows and Shades. The D&D Character Database? Its really easy to use as for stats since its a higher powered game Point Buy with 32 Pts. may be best unless you want die rolls or maybe let the players choose. Using the point buy I would get with a optimal point spread these: 12, 12, 14, 14, 14, 14 as an example good and well rounded but not overly powerful. I tend to multiclass often. And if I go for three classes down the road might be a good spread.

Maybe a Rogue first (lots of skills), then Fighter and then a spell casting class like a Cleric. It depends on what the group needs? Optionally I might take a Druid with a Prestige Class later.

Any limits on alignment and diety- I take it EVIL is out?

Natalie Clifford Barney

National Acrobat

It would be 32 Point Buy.

Characters would be hosted at www.3edb.com

Alignments would be CG, NG, LG, N, LN.

Characters must be willing to work together, and for a cause.

LordAnubis

Well, the only varient I was intrested in was where you could buy off your ECL as you gained levels. Aside from that, I've yet to find someone who wanted to run a Gestalt game.  I'll probably be LN or N, I tend to be very direct in the games and like being able to skirt that evil edge when something needs to be done.

Natalie C. Barney

Well I have Masters of the Wild so thought Druidess would be great and later take a Prestige Class. Many are sweet and not overly powerful I was thinking a SHIFTER they are druids and rare others that can shapeshift as a specialty and at 6th level in the class the ability becomes Supernatural so can shift without Attacks-of-Opportunity. And master rare and mighty forms in time including undead, elementals, dragons and the like. And the smallest creatures in time. Add some feats she can cast spells in wild shape and talk this would be so cool. And several druid spells would work great with animal or other forms so would BE a weapon. I would need spells to augment touch attacks. Not sure about race or diety yet.

Natalie Clifford Barney

LordAnubis

Oh, and a nice thing to do with druids, thanks to the changes in  3.5, if you play a race without a favored class take a single level of fighter early on and keep druid as the favored class and only take prestigous classes or druid classes after that.  Because the weapon restriction was removed, they are just proficent with only a few weapons.  It gives you a very wide range of weapons and armor's your proficent with, much easier then taking the feats.  And with druids as a favored class, no experiance penalities.  You just take a slight delay in shifting abilities.  but it you're going to play a shifter that may not be as helpful.

Natalie C. Barney

Won't work the druid weapon restrictions are divine limitiation unless the Druid serves Mielikki in the FR then can take a Druid and use weapons a Ranger can use. The class is limited due to their vows and oaths not lack of training. But are magically more powerful that clerics to compensate.

But I'm taking a Moon-Elf that serves Mielikki as a Druid so can also us the free bows and the swords since druids can use them that serve this goddess as they are all allowed to Rangers.  ;D

Anyway eventually she will BE a weapon. Can even wear armor allowed to rangers so Mithral Chain Shirts and the like are fine. If light she won't have the appropriate Feat.
Natalie Clifford Barney

LordAnubis

Change in the 3.5 editions.  it is only the armor that is divine restrictions.  Druid's just don't know how to use the rest of the weapons.

Metal armor and shields though are still outlawed, so I don't think the mithril shirt will work, but I don't have my forgotten realms book infront of me.

And you still had to take that level of ranger, cause I remember it was her Druid/ranger's that had that compensation.

Natalie C. Barney

Faith's and Pantheon's Entry for Mrilliki states her druids may use weapons and armor AVAILABLE to Rangers without viloating their oaths they do not have to BE a Ranger but since only Elves can get around that cheaply most are Druid/Rangers...I have the book its right there and the entries are much more detailed Elves get all the proper bows and swords FREE and if they take only LIGHT metal armors like Mithral Chain Shirts can use that as well. But she has few elven druids. And it also doesn't they have to train to use armor but medium and heavy armor has problems in getting like taking FEATS.

But since she's likely to only wear leather armor or maybe hide its not a biggy her elven blood will overcome the weapon restrictions a bit. Anyway as a SHIFTER to be after that she will likely relie on her shapeshifting especially as it advances. Changing into an ooze or a undead or a fly gives her lots of options. Not to mention a Fire Elemental or Dragon or Gargantuan monster!

I'll leave it to the GM but the FR Dieties Book is clear that access is allowed if the Druid can get the weapons and armor. Again easier to be able to if a Barbarian, Ranger, Fighter or a Full Blooded Elf.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Jefepato

Keep in mind that the new version of the shifter (the master of many forms) in Complete Adventurer is...well, worse.

Natalie C. Barney

He's not using that book it listed the core books and I assume the FR Campaign Setting plus the 3.0 Class Specific Books so the "Master of the Wilds" SHIFTER is in use. Not the Complete Adventurer which I don't have and never saw.

I go by the GM rules he cares to use and if we are playing together why mention a book that would hurt another player?

Remember the rules are not written in stone the GM decides what sources to use since the Dieties Book is I mentioned the wording of Mielikki's entry as to Druids getting armor and weapons.  So Mithral armor should be fine just the heavier suits would pose problems, but a shirt and skullcap forming a basic suit is fine according to that.

I'm also considering a Thayan cleric of Kossuth and later a Divine Disciple, neutral and maybe a Tiefling OR a Druid who takes Divine Disciple? All I can say is she'll be a divine spellcaster with a Prestige Class.
Natalie Clifford Barney

National Acrobat

ECL races would be out, as the game starts at first level and I'd prefer to not have a character start the game as a 'monster' class with levels of their race.

As for alignments, remember that people in this group must be willing to work together, and for a cause without hesitation, and without compensation. Doing the right thing because it needs to be done.

The restrictions for Druids who worship Mieliekki are fine, I have no issue with that. Mithril Chain will be hard to come by however, and given that the characters start at first level, it won't be an issue for awhile really.

Natalie C. Barney

Well if her church sees the item as tipping the balance of power sharply to one of the other elements than Fire even as a Thayan she'll want to claim it or destroy it if so ordered even opposing the Red Wizards. Remember if Kossuth speaks she will do and since she's likely to be neutral [N] she answers to him not the earthly Church. And Tieflings are not a monster race they are a FR Campaign Book core one.

But I could do a Fire Genesai serving Kossuth from Calimshan lands, that would also work.

But I'm inclined to be a Druid some or other prestige class later on. Any mighty artifact threatening the natural order would likely drive her to act. Or a cleric in which case would be acting to serve her diety. In any case a GOOD character if a cleric or druid.
Natalie Clifford Barney

WarDragon

I'd be interested in joining the game, as well.  I could fill pretty much any roll in the group that needs filling.  I have all of the Complete Series, and my e-mail box is always open (if you know what I mean, wink wink, nudge nudge).

Are we set on Faerun, then?  It won't make or break me, but I'm kind of getting sick of that setting... am I the only one here that likes DragonLance?

National Acrobat

I would actually prefer Greyhawk or My own homebrew, but the familiarity level of FR is too hard to pass up for people. I find that asking people to read my histories, etc. regarding my homebrew is just asking for trouble.

WarDragon

I have no objection to a homebrew.  The vast majority of my D&D experience has happened in one homebrew or another.

Oh, forgot to mention; would it cause a problem if I used 3Eprofiler instead of the Character Database?  Example links are in my sig.

National Acrobat

Not a problem as long as I can read it. Some of my RPOL players moved from 3E Profiler due to some loading issues, but as long as it works, that's fine.

Here's a link to my homebrew. Let me know what you think.

If I have enough people willing to play with the homebrew, then it will change the rules a bit. Naturally I'm more comfortable with my own setting.

http://www.student.richmond.edu/~js3tf/Thernicus/Thernicus.htm

Jefepato

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on November 26, 2005, 06:14:08 PM
I go by the GM rules he cares to use and if we are playing together why mention a book that would hurt another player?

We aren't.  I'm not really interested in this game.

I mention it because I'm arbitrarily malicious.

Natalie C. Barney

An attractive Highlander bard/cleric of Bridgit I can do that.  ;D

Do the Bard first. So the parents better hide their daughters...

Whatever setting you want.

Natalie Clifford Barney

WarDragon

The homebrew looks interesting.  It's your call, of course, but I'd prefer that over FR or GH.

National Acrobat

Alright, Home Brew it is, however that changes a few things. Thernicus is a lot like Greyhawk. Less power, more gritty.

A war that lasted many years ended less than a decade ago, and a lot of areas are still feeling the effects.

Superstitions among local and common folk are high, magic is not trusted. Outside of cosmopolitain areas, wizards and sorcerors are seen as 'witches' and many a wizard who attempted to entertain has ended up on the gallows.

The Elves of Thernicus are quite blunt and very non-active in the affairs of men and their allies. Dark elves are a subrace that lives on the surface, and are good. Drow are virtually unheard of except in elven legends, and only the oldest and most learned elves even are aware that their evil brethren still exist beneath the earth. Humans and the other races have never even heard of them.

Character creation would be as follows:

Level 1
30 Point Buy
Core Rules
Complete Arcane, Divine or Warrior
*or the 3.0 Splat Books
Alignment of LG, NG, CG, N or LN
Starting Level of 1
Max Gold for Starting level

I'll work on getting the board set up when I get enough players.

Natalie C. Barney

My character so far:

www.3edb.com/viewCharacter.asp?cid=12067

She'll stay a druidess to Level 5, take Shifter to Level 5 (not sure if it counts as a multiclass if so will cost more for 3 levels)
Natalie Clifford Barney

WarDragon

Prestige Classes never cause XP penalties for multiclassing.

Natalie C. Barney

GOOOODDDDDDD.....  ;D

Druidess to become Masters of the Wild Sourcebook SHIFTER. And a Dark Fey a dark lovely creature not that her form will matter to her in the long run. Her flesh will be mutable and her spirit glorious. Someday she can become a small mouse to the form of the Tarrasque, even without some of its powers and lower hit points it would be a devestating weapon form. She can be anyone and take any form she wishes. Now that is sooooo cool. Add to this some magic although she gains no more levels as a Shifter she will be fun if she survives.

I'm not sure about her deity I took the Elven Goddess of Magic, is a druid an innately very magical class and a Shifter would likely be seen as a wonderous path for any elf with the sense of will to follow it and also very mystical. Plus I wanted a female patron goddess.

One thing in human lands I noticed arcane magic workers have problems in places I take it DIVINE spellcasters are different after all we all serve a diety even Druids, just asking?

Natalie Clifford Barney

WarDragon

Right now, I'm leaning towards playing a Paladin.  Any objections?

National Acrobat

Not at all. Nareal, Athena or Tunea would be your patron most likely.

LordAnubis

well with a druid and a Paladin I think a Rogue is in order,  my deity will be Loki for sure. now I just need to piick what kind of rogue.  Unless a fighter is desired.

Muse

Gack!  Now that you've settled on Homebrew I find you!  I was looking for a new home for my Shadoweir girl.  (Druid/Ranger of Mieliki, that is.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

WarDragon

Quote from: Rat Salad on November 27, 2005, 09:46:33 PM
Not at all. Nareal, Athena or Tunea would be your patron most likely.

Hmm... of the three, I've got a good idea for Tunea, but I'm not sure it's feasible with only a 30 point buy for stats...  Paladins are pretty stat-intensive already, and going for a Spellsword build just makes it worse (oh, how I love the Spellsword).  Athena, then, I suppose.

Muse; if you check the website, you will note that he's imported Mielikki from the Realms. ;)

National Acrobat

I've imported Mieliekki as has been mentioned before, so it wouldn't make too much of a difference, however the Realms specific parts of her religion don't apply in my homebrew.

Looks like enough interest, so later in the week I'll start getting everything together.

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: WarDragon on November 28, 2005, 10:07:27 PM
Hmm... of the three, I've got a good idea for Tunea, but I'm not sure it's feasible with only a 30 point buy for stats...  Paladins are pretty stat-intensive already, and going for a Spellsword build just makes it worse (oh, how I love the Spellsword).  Athena, then, I suppose.

Muse; if you check the website, you will note that he's imported Mielikki from the Realms. ;)

Well its not impossible true most stats would be just enough to give a bonus for example a Paladin can get by on a Wisdom of 12 they may not get lots of higher end spells but can use magic. Likewise Charisma does not have to be 17 in 3.5 just a 12 would give a little bonus. I would put three 12's and three 14's in the stats that should do it? Face it in this game a Paladin/Spellsword would be still kind of scary.
Natalie Clifford Barney

MasterJedi

spellsword/paladin? im pretty sure spellswords are only allowed to channel arcane spells...or its it at least a class prereq that the character can cast 2nd level arcane spells.
[tr][td]
Characters:
tPSH: Kale | tEoME: Johny
BSB: Damicus/Arblus | MCZ13: Galad
FtLoaP: Captain David[/td][td]Random Thought:
"What's the definition of a will? It's a dead giveaway...."[/td][/tr][/table]

LordAnubis

Charisma is damn handy for a Paladin, turning might not be big, but the bonus to all your saves and ability to lay on hands comes from that.  Unless you want to use a bow I'd go with a 12 to your dex and put the 14 to your charisma, since you'd get that bonus to all your saves and it helps your lay on hands.  Always a handy trait.

WarDragon

Quote from: KRaNiX on November 29, 2005, 01:57:06 PM
spellsword/paladin? im pretty sure spellswords are only allowed to channel arcane spells...or its it at least a class prereq that the character can cast 2nd level arcane spells.

Paladin4/Sorcerer6/Spellsword10, or something to that effect.  As a straight Paladin, I can afford to ignore my Dexterity, which is made far more important by the Sorcerer's armor limitation.  Grr... I hate the scaling costs of the DMG point-buy.

MasterJedi

itend to stay clear of armor no matter the class preferring bracers of armor or robes of the archmagi, it givess a little armor bonus and gives a few other nice pressies with it.
[tr][td]
Characters:

Natalie C. Barney

I hate to point this out unless the rules changed Paladins can't multi-class unless you plan to be a Paladin to Level 4 first then work on sorceror which will cost you XP in penalties. I know in the FR some orders are different but according to the core rules its going to be harder. I think a Fighter/Sorceror would work better.
Natalie Clifford Barney

MasterJedi

and it sounds silly, but fighter 4 is good, gives u 3 bonus feats, wizard gives u 1, and spellsword another, thats 5 bonus feats on top of the standard for a level 20 character.
[tr][td]
Characters:

WarDragon

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on November 29, 2005, 06:21:34 PM
I hate to point this out unless the rules changed Paladins can't multi-class unless you plan to be a Paladin to Level 4 first then work on sorceror which will cost you XP in penalties. I know in the FR some orders are different but according to the core rules its going to be harder. I think a Fighter/Sorceror would work better.
That was my plan precisely (either that, or ask for that Eberron feat that lets you multiclass with one other class).  I picked Paladin over Fighter for three reasons: Charisma synergy, the Divine feats accessed by Turn Undead, and I like Paladins.

Natalie C. Barney

You could do a Barbarian/Sorceror then Spellsword? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... Well it would be different you could use a Great Axe!  ;)
Natalie Clifford Barney

WarDragon

Hmm... nah.  I'm already playing two Chaotic characters in other campaigns, and that's about the limit for a Lawful sort like me. ;)

MasterJedi

the best combo i ever saw was a well made spellbow, 6 attacks per round 3 of which were at full attack bonus -2...it was simply a killing machine.
[tr][td]
Characters:

WarDragon

Intriguing...

Does the Channel Spell ability even work with ranged weapons?

National Acrobat

As far as I know, unless you have a PrC that states you can channel with a ranged weapon, it doesn't.

MasterJedi

and as stated in the very description of the spellsword class, the ability can be used with any weapon, I dont have my book here but im pretty sure it even mentions a bow as one of the choices.
[tr][td]
Characters:

National Acrobat

If that's the case, then it is indeed a PrC special ability

Natalie C. Barney

I must point out something we need another divine spellcaster that get get spells higher than level 3. As a SHIFTER I do not advance in druid magic or skills after Level 5 until I max out the Prestige class at Level 15 so my spells will be limited. The PrC offers very powerful shapeshifting powers for a price! Does anyone else want to run a cleric or something  past level 5?  ???
Natalie Clifford Barney

National Acrobat

Don't worry about classes the group needs. One should never 'play' anything they don't want to. Part of the challenge is to overcome obstacles, and that includes not having certain classes.

MasterJedi

I love playing fighter wizzie spellswords, but will play anything needed, if you need a healer, I will play anything pretty much. But...im kinda new to DND, all my experiance is 3.5...so I would need a little guidance if u use another system or version.
[tr][td]
Characters:

Natalie C. Barney

Well I'll have SOME holy magic she will still have healing and the like just not alot of it. And is likely to take care of herself first since she'll be in combat enough. Especially at advanced levels in her PrC. I just wanted to point that out thats all.
Natalie Clifford Barney

MasterJedi

If allowed, DnD 3.5, theres a class known as a Paladin of freedom, I would love very much LOVE to play that class.
[tr][td]
Characters:

National Acrobat

I know, but I'm not using Unearthed Arcana.

Core books, Complete Arcane, Divine and Warrior only.

Natalie C. Barney

You did say the 3.0 surce books were ok like the Masters of the Wild as well remember. If you did change your mind let me know but I really want to try a SHIFTER PrC.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Muse

Quote from: Rat Salad on November 26, 2005, 06:27:28 PM
ECL races would be out, as the game starts at first level and I'd prefer to not have a character start the game as a 'monster' class with levels of their race.

As for alignments, remember that people in this group must be willing to work together, and for a cause without hesitation, and without compensation. Doing the right thing because it needs to be done.

The restrictions for Druids who worship Mieliekki are fine, I have no issue with that. Mithril Chain will be hard to come by however, and given that the characters start at first level, it won't be an issue for awhile really.

So, boss, if my charecter's in your world and worship's Mieliki, can she take Ranger, then Druid, and use Ranger weapons? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MasterJedi

thats fine, ill bend to that :) warrior has some variant rules in it that might help
[tr][td]
Characters:

National Acrobat

Quote from: Muse on December 01, 2005, 05:02:25 AM
So, boss, if my charecter's in your world and worship's Mieliki, can she take Ranger, then Druid, and use Ranger weapons? 

No, that's FR specific, and I like to stick to the traditional druid ways.

National Acrobat

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=145.0

The game is now up. We can start working on characters and getting started.

National Acrobat

Post your ideas for me in a PM, and I will notify those who are accepted. Please read carefully the game information.

Please Do not Post on the Game Board until you are accepted

thanks.

LordAnubis

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape (see below).

Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Druids are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/druid.html if you want to confirm it.  unless the DM intends to override that rule. then if you're a druid who took a ranger class you could still use the weapons of a ranger, you just can't wear metal armor or shields.  I've got a 3.5 player's hand book infront of me, and it is the same there.

So the weapon thing is if the DM is going to use 3.5 or 3 rules.  Diety aside.

WarDragon

Currently on my second concept; a re-flavored Shugenja, worshipping Brigit.

Yes, I am a divine caster; no, I cannot heal you.  Cure spells fall under Water, and are thus forbidden to Fire "shugenja."  I can, however, blow stuff up REAL good. :D

Muse

I'm working on a Favored Soul of Brigitte or Athena, and thinking about party dynamics.  I've already played a few fire priests, and would have fun doing it again, but a female would boh encourage me towards a difrent concept and might make intresting party dynamics. 

But that depends on what gender folks are playing. 

National Acrobat

WarDragon

I'm almost positive that I'm sticking with male.

LordAnubis

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: LordAnubis on December 01, 2005, 10:35:36 PM
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape (see below).

Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Druids are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/druid.html if you want to confirm it.  unless the DM intends to override that rule. then if you're a druid who took a ranger class you could still use the weapons of a ranger, you just can't wear metal armor or shields.  I've got a 3.5 player's hand book infront of me, and it is the same there.

So the weapon thing is if the DM is going to use 3.5 or 3 rules.  Diety aside.

An ELF gets Longbows and Shortbows (including composite versions) and rapier and longsword as racial bonus weapons. So I don't have to take a Ranger class I get them even if a Dark Fey. And Leather or Hide armor is fine by me.
Natalie Clifford Barney