Wolfling Winter [High Fantasy, Freeform, Werewolves]

Started by Cerevan, June 23, 2013, 03:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerevan

I will tell you a story. I do not promise it a happy ending.

Once Upon a Time there was a kingdom straight from a fairytale that was nestled into the Dyr Mountains. Reigned over by an illustrious royal family, the kingdom of Atall was prosperous with trade and the furs from its forests were unmatched by any. Yet it was also on the edge of Tikaan territory, kept in a constant state of uneasy peace that most whispered could not last for very long. Last the peace did, for generations. And at the whim of a foolish prince it all came crumbling down.

Prince Aldrnari of Atall challenged the spirits of the mountains. He spoke of Father Moon and Mother Winter as long past superstitions, thought to expand into Tikaan territory and bring greater glory to the Atallan Kingdom. Yet Father Moon and Mother Winter are far from myth, and their wrath is swift.

Winter has set into the Dyr Mountains, but there is no spring in sight. It has been four years since buds were last seen on the trees. The people of Atall starve and resort to the old ways: offering beautiful young humans as a sacrifice to the Tikaan in exchange for protection and food. Bonds of fealty to king and country weather away to wisps as the winter nights grow long. Whispers grow of a nameless fear descending from the North—something more terrible than the wolven Tikaan could ever be.

As for the Tikaan, they grow strong and fierce in the winter. Their howls are a song of ash and marrow. For them it is the time of fulfillment, the coming of their savior: the Wolf Who Will Devour the World.

The Nadaeki Pack

The Nadaeki pack lives deep in the Dyr Mountains, rarely encountering human settlements though there are several along their borders. Nadaeki wolves are said to be the largest, the fiercest, the oldest. When all others fall, they survive. Long before there were humans in the mountains, the Nadaeki ran under the moon. Most packs believe that the Wolf Who Will Devour the World will be born to this pack, as they are blessed by Mother Winter and Father Moon.

Traditional in a way few packs are, the Nadaeki refused contact with human settlements and for a long time did not take on sacrifices. Yet under the leadership of their current alpha, Ts'itu, and with the pressing needs of the Long Winter, they have begun to do both. Raids on the small settlements are an easy way to make sure the pups stay fed, and while the sacrifices are more mouths to feed they also create the ability to have a home base from which to begin the long ranging hunts.

This is a freeform fantasy game. It has an overall plot and GM-mandated plot events that characters may or may not participate in. However, individual character and story arcs are highly encouraged. At this time, only the applications for the Nadaecki pack are being accepted. If the game grows large enough, more packs might be added. Questions can be addressed via OOC, or via PM to Cerevan.

Important Links
  • Game's Wiki Page: This includes information pertinent to the game, focused on generalities of the Tikaan and the Atallan Kingdom. Read through this before asking a question, as often your questions may be answered by this page. It is frequently updated to include the newest information.
  • Nadaecki Pack Wiki Page: This includes information pertinent specifically to the Nadaecki pack, including but not limited to—the structure of the home village, pack laws, and links to the Wiki pages of all current pack members. Read this before creating a character, it will help keep you in the know. It is also frequently updated.
  • Searchable Dictionary & Noun and Pronunciation Dictionary for the Tikaan: These are dictionaries of the Ahtna language, which serves as a linguistic base for Tikaani speech. Character names should either come from one of these dictionaries, or imitate similar sounds.
  • Searchable Dictionary for the Atallans: This is a dictionary of Old Norse, which serves as a linguistic base for Atallan speech. Character names should either come from this dictionary, or imitate similar sounds.
  • GM Announcements & Plotting: A very important thread. This contains GM announcements, posting orders (when applicable), a timeline of events (coming soon), and the classifieds. Make sure to have this bookmarked.

Character Application

You may submit up to three characters, providing you can keep up with all of them. Character picture must be 150x200 pixels. Below is the format for the Character Application, with explanations provided. Character Applications should be PM'd to the GM: Cerevan.

• Anyone submitting a character sheet past this point (06/30/13) may not have green eyes. Any shade of green eyes. Period. We already have too many green eyed beasts running about.

[b]Name:[/b] Character name, this includes aliases and nicknames if applicable.

[b]Player:[/b] ...

[b]Race:[/b] Human (Sacrifice) or Tikaan.

[b]Age:[/b] Humans have a lifespan of roughly 50-70 years, assuming all things are equal. Tikaan live a bit longer in most cases, 60-75 years. Keep this in mind when declaring age.

[b]Mated:[/b] Refers to the status of a Tikaan or human sacrifice. Mating is similar to marriage and is permanent unto and beyond death.

[b]Orientation:[/b] Sexual orientation.

[b]Pack Position:[/b] Alpha, Beta, Omega, or Sacrifice. Can also be N/A.

[b]Hair:[/b] ...

[b]Eyes:[/b] ...

[b]Height:[/b] Note that the average human male would run about 5'6"-5'11", human female 5'2"-5'7". Average Tikaan male runs about 5'10" to 6'3", average Tikaan female 5'9"-6'2".

[b]Appearance:[/b] Should include any pertinent physical quirks—scars, tattoos, etc. Mannerisms, dress, etc. can also be included.

[b]Wolf Form:[/b] Only applicable to Tikaan characters. This is a quick explanation of the appearance of the character in wolf form, and can include a picture if deemed necessary.

[b]Personality:[/b] This should be a good solid paragraph and contain the personality of your character in a nutshell. This means key traits, any deeply motivating factors, etc.

[b]Ons & Offs:[/b] Can be specific to the character, a link to the player's O/O thread, or some combination of the two.

[b]History:[/b] Should be at least two paragraphs long, and cover the basics of the characters past. This should also contain how the character gained their position, whatever said pack position is.

Wolfling Winter is opening up active recruitment once more! If you are interested, please reply to this thread or simply PM in your character application for review. With new recruitment, there are some things to consider. You may simply want to play a beta or sacrifice, which are positions that are always open. You may, however, want something a little more exciting or specific. Currently, there are several new, exciting positions up for grabs, as well as romantically inclined Classifieds for if you want to set up a romance from the start. Currently available roles include:

• 2x Tikaan Hunters: As the Winter grows longer and the Tikaan more bold in their raids, towns and even the capital have begun offering rewards for Tikaan pelts. Some hunters are driven by desperation, others by vengeance, and some just want adventure and money.
  • 1x Shaman Apprentice: A healer, a singer of songs, a reader of runes, or a spirit walker. No matter the case, omegas are always valued within the pack, and the next generation always needs to be trained. Character must be between ages of 16 and 18.
  • 1x Guardian of the Moon: A hermit vaguely associated with the Nadaecki Pack, who lives within Son 'Tsaane Caves and interprets the will of Mother Winter & Father Moon. PM for more details.
  • 3x Border Soldiers: Atall grows fearful of just what lurks in their forests. To compensate they've sent more soldiers to the borders in order to hold back the perceived threat of the Tikaan. Skirmishes are frequent and deaths are high. Loyalty wears thin. If offered the chance for a better life among the enemy, would a soldier dare it?

Strifesblaze7

Is there a point where nobody cares

Caela

This looks really interesting. I'll be working up a CS to send to you Cerevan.

Cerevan

Two people, color me excited. ;D

Quote from: Caela on June 23, 2013, 06:17:24 PM
This looks really interesting. I'll be working up a CS to send to you Cerevan.

That sounds good, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Caela

Working on her now...her name is a sticking point in my head though lol. She wants about 50!

Cerevan

Quote from: Caela on June 23, 2013, 07:13:48 PM
Working on her now...her name is a sticking point in my head though lol. She wants about 50!

Not the curse of many names. :o Tis a scary thing indeed when such things happen. It's sort of like the curse of many pictures...

Caela

Quote from: Cerevan on June 23, 2013, 07:21:22 PM
Not the curse of many names. :o Tis a scary thing indeed when such things happen. It's sort of like the curse of many pictures...

That one's aweful two! I have it narrowed down to two of those though. :D

Caela

Finally have a name! :D Had to do a little name research, for some reason the language dictionary you linked doesn't want to work for me. It pulls up, but tells me every word I try shows no results. Thankfully, Google is a beautiful thing! lol

Cerevan

Quote from: Caela on June 23, 2013, 08:17:18 PM
Finally have a name! :D Had to do a little name research, for some reason the language dictionary you linked doesn't want to work for me. It pulls up, but tells me every word I try shows no results. Thankfully, Google is a beautiful thing! lol

Whoo for names! And yes, while I tried to choose dictionaries with a fairly decent amount of words, many of them haven't been translated or simply don't have a translation. That's why I said it needn't be directly from there, since...well, it'd be quite impossible/difficult. I'm glad that Google has blessed you with the right name though. ;)

Caela

Finally got her finished and sent! She did not end up where I first envisioned her! lol...Sometimes a character just bucks my ideas and takes on a life of their own despite my best intentions.

eBadger

Am intrigued; I'll put together a character tonight, hopefully, or tomorrow if I'm struggling with inspiration. 

One thing I'm unclear on: the sacrifices from the towns, are they being eaten or added to the pack? 

Strifesblaze7

I'm struggling with a character at this time but I'm trying.

Cerevan

Quote from: Caela on June 23, 2013, 10:07:41 PM
Finally got her finished and sent! She did not end up where I first envisioned her! lol...Sometimes a character just bucks my ideas and takes on a life of their own despite my best intentions.

I quite like her! Sent back a PM & will be adding her to the roster tonight.

Quote from: eBadger on June 23, 2013, 10:17:27 PM
Am intrigued; I'll put together a character tonight, hopefully, or tomorrow if I'm struggling with inspiration. 

One thing I'm unclear on: the sacrifices from the towns, are they being eaten or added to the pack? 

Fantastic! Always glad to have more people. I look forward to your application. For clarification on the sacrifices: no, they are not being eaten. They're added to the pack as slaves, basically. They do many of the chores such as cooking, caring for pups, cleaning deerskins, etc. Often they may be used sexually by some of the younger, unmated pack members, though this is done with consent in most cases. (Some packs are rougher than others.) Sacrifices can also be claimed as mates, though this is fairly rare in most instances. Winter might change such things though. ;)

Quote from: Strifesblaze7 on June 23, 2013, 10:19:42 PM
I'm struggling with a character at this time but I'm trying.

Well, if it's not coming, then I suppose it's not coming. Still, hopefully something will come in. :-) Looking forward to seeing what you might come up with.

Strifesblaze7

It is my hateful writers block. It just wants me to miss out.

Cerevan

Quote from: Strifesblaze7 on June 23, 2013, 10:25:59 PM
It is my hateful writers block. It just wants me to miss out.

Lol, no worries. I'd say we probably need at least four betas, an omega, and a couple of sacrifices before we can start the game itself. Have to have a halfway filled back at least. ;) Give your muse as much time as it needs.

Strifesblaze7

Well I would like a beta spot if that is plausible.  :-) and thank you for understanding.

Cerevan

Quote from: Strifesblaze7 on June 23, 2013, 10:38:46 PM
Well I would like a beta spot if that is plausible.  :-) and thank you for understanding.

No problem. And in this pack there are seven beta positions still available. I don't think they'll go out too quickly. :-)

Strifesblaze7

eBadger

Apologies, but gonna back out; having a really hard time making a savage/primitive into a multi faceted character.  The game concept looks awesome though!

Cerevan

Quote from: eBadger on June 25, 2013, 01:14:26 PM
Apologies, but gonna back out; having a really hard time making a savage/primitive into a multi faceted character.  The game concept looks awesome though!

Sorry to hear that.  :-( I would suggest an Atallan character who would be less "primitive" but if you aren't feeling it I fully understand. Thanks for the heads up.

Strifesblaze7

BellaVita

I'm interested in this. I'll come up with a character soon :)

Cerevan

Quote from: BellaVita on June 25, 2013, 11:46:28 PM
I'm interested in this. I'll come up with a character soon :)

Ahh, glorious yays. Glad to have you on board, Bella. ;D We are slowly but surely building up a cast. If anyone has friends they'd like to invite, please do so. ;)

Harmony

I am interested in the role of one of the sacrifices. If that is still open.

Cerevan

Quote from: Harmony on June 26, 2013, 12:25:26 AM
I am interested in the role of one of the sacrifices. If that is still open.

Yes, we still have all sacrifice positions open. ;D Just a note that if you have any questions about the Atallan culture (which is probably where you character would come from) don't hesitate to ask. Pretty much anything you can figure for a Nordic/Celtic culture that lives in the mountains is a go though. Because, well, fantasy. We don't need no stinkin' rules.