Godswar (Recruiting)

Started by Fury Aphrodisia, September 19, 2016, 12:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fury Aphrodisia

The Struggle

No, I'm not telling you who I am. If they know I'm here, talking to you, now? Oh, wow, they'd kill me. Horrible. And for a long time. And gods are immortal, so you can see how long that might actually be. Like, forever. They'd kill me forever. Shut up, I know it doesn't make sense.

Look, I don't have a lot of time, can we get to the point?

The lore in old theology textbooks are, at best, a laughable guess made by a tiny creature as to what the larger ones are thinking. May as well be a centipede trying to figure out the thoughts of an extra-terrestrial creature. Yes, that's it, a centipede. Imagine the humans are centipedes. Human centipedes. No, wait. That's horrible, forget I said that. Ants are too cliche. Caterpillars?

They're bugs, is the point. Very much bugs. They can't even think in the right ways to ensure they have any understanding of Divine intent whatsoever.

The truth is, the Divine always knew. They always knew that one day, expanding borders would see them pitted one against another. And they've had to decide. Is it worth condemning a whole race of people to die in order to secure their future? Of course it is. They're centipedes.

Caterpillars. Whatever.

Each pantheon has its own idea of an apocalypse, an event that would raze the earth, bring devastation and ruin to humanity, but what if humanity were never the target? What if the target had been other pantheons all along? In engaging in battle, the survivors gain strength at a surprisingly uniform pace. However, they manage to take contenders out of the running. In the end, they're left with adversaries just as powerful as they are. It'd have to be some hell of a red button to see a winner come out on top. That's where the soul harvest comes in.

If they can manage to create what we like to call -... well, look, in English, you might say a... a singularity, sure. It's a singularity. But a lot of stuff has to go into getting it set up so the world is in tune with the spirit energy of particular pantheons. That's why most pantheons have one dude who's kind of in charge of all the rest, cause none of us would choose to do this unless it was necessary. Enough energy to be channeled into the end, whatever that might be. Whether it's setting fire to everything like Jehovah wants to do - I'm not sure who got him on that whole dragon thing, but hey, kudos, the imagery is nice - or having everything float off into space cause a giant turtle gives up or maybe wolves eating everyone? Whatever the case, if they can eliminate some contenders, gather some strength and get everything in place, they can use their apocalypse to blast away any challengers that are left.

And sure, humanity is part of this, though they're not the target like they like to think. No, they're the battery. The power source.  Reaping humanity is what this has always been about.

Reaping, not ra- They're NOT centipedes!

Maybe raping.

POINT BEING!

The general challenge is to reap, store and ration enough souls to maintain the upper hand in the struggle, eliminating gods and goddesses while they are still vulnerable. Once the pantheons are pared down to those last few contenders, it's a race to engage their very own apocalypse. The Apocalypse! The best way to kill your rivals and ensure a never-ending influx of soul power for your own people. Alright, that's poor taste, but you get where I'm going with that. Whoever's left after the apocalypse has no choice but to believe in and follow the gods they have actual proof exist, now. And that becomes an even stronger, more reliable source or energy... it's a feedback loop, pumping them up.

This isn't the first time it's happened, either. Ever heard of the Fomorians? Or the Titans, for that matter? Hell, Jehova almost had them with that flood. If it wasn't for his bleeding heart and his favourite dolls, that collection would have completely gone under, too. Trouble is, they get complacent when they feel like their job is done, and start feasting on soul energy like there's always going to be a steady supply. Well, you and I, we know that's not necessarily true, don't we? They forget, though, every damned time, and then we have to go through this whole apocalypse thing.

Me? I hope you survive. I kinda like you. But just in case you don't, I'm sure they'll find someplace pretty to stick you. I'd choose your favourite and reserve your space now, if you can. Other options aren't so wonderful, in the end. On the bright side, won't be long till they eat you.

Come play in a semi-sandbox game that takes place in the shadows of our day-to-day lives, all over the world. Play a god, a mortal, some mythical creature or rebel deities (One each to begin, expanding as we play), embroiled in a battle for the power of the earth, a race against the clock and in deadly competition with the strings of destiny. Any pantheon will do, so long as it exists in our world and has lore to support.... something. Sorry, but at this time, not allowing any newly-created gods, newly-created realms, DnD gods, White Wolf spirits, nothing that doesn't exist in the cultural heritage of our real world, please. Because of the nature of the gods, there's an enthusiastic welcome for LGBTQ+ characters and players, but know that we will be setting the game in Extreme groups.

If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact myself or DartimusRae, who has kindly agreed to be the Co-GM.

More in-depth information can be found here, which will serve as the informational thread for the game. The OOC thread can be found here.

When you've a completed character sheet approved, put 'er here!

Want to read what we have so far, before you decide? Check it out!

Look forward to writing with you!

Edit: For the moment, there are no particular roles we're looking to have filled, but that might change with a little time.
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Caradoc

I'm in. I'm going the classical route and exploring a few ideas about the Greek pantheon. I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with .
So tell me do you wanna go?
Where it's covered in all the colored lights
Where the runaways are running the night
Impossible comes true, it's taking over you

My Ons and Offs

A/A's Updated 1/25/17

Fury Aphrodisia

Welcome, Caradoc!

Thanks for letting me know, I'll put you in for Greek. Right now, we're starting everyone off with a single character until we see what kind of response we'll have. I'd suggest keeping that in mind as you build your character.

Welcome aboard!
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

DartimusRae

Hello! Your friendly neighborhood Co-GM here! I will be working with the Norse pantheon, so look to me for all the drunken shenanigans and debauchery. I am open for questions, and will do my best to ensure everyone is interacted with, and to answer as many questions as I can. looking forward to writing with everyone!

Kokaine

I am interested. Im thinking Isis/the Egyptian Pantheon is my aim but I will re-read things a little later and see.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

imjessme

Of course you already know I'm in.  Doing some more research on that Eastern shapeshifter

*Edit*
So on further review, it looks like the goddess who will fit best with what I'm thinking is Hecate, the Greek goddess of change and crossroads.  So I think I'll make that my semi-official choice.

Cataclysmic Archangel

I have to say, this sounds kind of cool.  Considering me lurking and pondering and thinking.

Honestly, I'm considering something in the Anglo-biblical... Possibly classical Fallen Angel (not full on horned red-devil, but more black feathered wings).  Possibly even Lucifer himself?

Fury Aphrodisia

Kokaine - Wonderful! I'm so glad to have the Egyptian pantheon finally represented. I will keep Isis on tentative hold while you make your final decision.

imjessme - Oh, good, I'm glad you finally found something that suited your hopes. I'll leave Hecate on hold, then, and I look forward to seeing where you take her!

Arcannyx - Excellent, there's already someone who has decided to take on Yaweh, so it seems as though we're going to have a pretty good force for you to play off of. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on September 19, 2016, 03:45:15 PM
Arcannyx - Excellent, there's already someone who has decided to take on Yaweh, so it seems as though we're going to have a pretty good force for you to play off of. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I just finished digging through some of the other information in the other thread, and I suppose I'm ready to work on a sheet.  I'll need to figure out powers and how that works, already have questions to that end... it will be nice to immediately have a foil right from the get go. 

Fury Aphrodisia

Alright, well, if you'd like to ask here, that's fine, or send a PM. I'll get an OOC thread going at some point this evening.

Kiric Rand

Looking into a few ideas already  >:)
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Foxy DeVille

Got an idea for an Aztec goddess...  8-)

Fury Aphrodisia

Oooh, haven't had one of those pop up yet. Stellar! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Fury Aphrodisia

Have started an OOC thread, the link will be here and in the first post to this and eventually the World Building thread, as well.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=256301.new#new

Oversight

Hi! I'm definitely interested. Spent most of last night trying to figure out how to incorporate a Hindu god into this and I just... I gave up. The Hindu pantheon is a mess.

Gonna look closer to home. Mind if I claim the trickster Coyote?

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Oversight on September 20, 2016, 04:17:45 AM
Hi! I'm definitely interested. Spent most of last night trying to figure out how to incorporate a Hindu god into this and I just... I gave up. The Hindu pantheon is a mess.

Hee hee... I pretty much did the same thing. "Ooooo... maybe I'll go with a Hindu goddess. Find a sexy Bollywood actress as a faceclaim and... this is really complicated." And now I'm Aztec.

Fury Aphrodisia

The trickster coyote... Are we talking North American First Nations beliefs, the one from the Eastern pantheons, the norther Gaulish beliefs, or are we talking about a Scandinavian system? I'm good no matter where you want to go with it, just need to make sure I'm reserving the right thing for you.

Yeah, I know that there's some pantheons that are hopelessly complicated, BUT, I expect that at some point, someone will come along that has an understanding of it culturally, so there's no way I'm leaving them out. They're open for whomever wants to take a crack at 'em!

Oversight

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on September 20, 2016, 12:17:29 PM
The trickster coyote... Are we talking North American First Nations beliefs, the one from the Eastern pantheons, the norther Gaulish beliefs, or are we talking about a Scandinavian system? I'm good no matter where you want to go with it, just need to make sure I'm reserving the right thing for you.

First Nations specifically-- coyotes are native only to North America, though I do remember reading about similarities with jackal and fox tricksters.

Fury Aphrodisia

Fair enough. I think I was thinking Fox, too. So - alright, no problem. Now, I know every band has its own set of legends, and while some crossover, others do not. I have no problem if you want to play something specific to a particular band's lore, but I'm not going to hold you to any such specifics for that. That's a lot of in-depth study to do if you're not already familiar with it.

Kiric Rand

All this interestand no god of death yet.......

Or is there.....
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

DartimusRae

Just need someone to play Hades, though I'm thinking of playing Loki

DartimusRae

Also, welcome to the fray, Foxy and Oversight

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Kiric Rand on September 20, 2016, 01:17:53 PM
All this interestand no god of death yet.......

Or is there.....

Depending on the mythos, I have hell covered.

My sheet for the Morningstar is about 60% done.

DartimusRae

So happy to see this idea getting off the ground. So, those of y'all working on character development, so we don't lose new people in the chatter, why don't we move the conversation to the OOC, and that way interested parties can post questions up in here.

LordRod

Hmm....

Would you allow Bob of the SubGenius or the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

If needing something more serious, the King in Yellow would be fun to play :D
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0