Kindred of the East (interest check)

Started by Rook Seidhr, April 29, 2014, 06:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rook Seidhr

So. It's complicated and weird and the setting material treats China, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, etc. as if they were one unified culture which is really, really stupid. But I've always had a fondness for it. I'm just not weeaboo educated in Japanese or Chinese or Thai or Malay or Pinoy or etc. culture enough to run a game set anywhere in that part of the world. I can fake it well enough to play, I think, but not well enough to run.

Anyone else feel like playing someone so bad the Thousand Hells couldn't hold them? Anyone feel like GMing a KotE game? Must be willing to supply more reasonable cultural background than is provided in the books.

Pumpkin Seeds

I would adore playing such a game, but doubt I could run it.

Elven Sex Goddess

Oh I am so very tempted.   Having been a former ST at various OWOD sites, as a KotE ST and also with WtA.     I have a special fondness for the game.  Unfortunately I am quite busy to take on such a task.  Through I am interest in playing if another can be found to run the game.   As its a great setting to use and play in.  Such a multiple level of complexity.   

Muse

*Smiles*  Ah, if only you weren't going for vampires.  ^_^;; 

Henjokai, Strike Force 0...  So many awesome concepts in this part of the World of Darkness. 

Best of luck too you! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Braioch

-slides in too quickly and slams into wall-

Ow.

I can't run the game, being busy with RL stuff and having never been an ST in any WoD setting. But when I say I love this setting, I mean I really freaking love this setting. (I own every source book for KotE >,>) And know it fairly well, so I would be very interested if a ST could be found.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Marie Reynolds

Oh god a gm for this would make me very happy this is one of my favorite wod games!

VonDoom

Quote from: Braioch on April 29, 2014, 10:18:23 AM
-slides in too quickly and slams into wall-

Ow.

I can't run the game, being busy with RL stuff and having never been an ST in any WoD setting. But when I say I love this setting, I mean I really freaking love this setting. (I own every source book for KotE >,>) And know it fairly well, so I would be very interested if a ST could be found.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Well, I HAVE been ST for VtM before, but everything besides that. Getting all the books long after the line was basically gone was quite a chore, especially Dharma Book Thrashing Dragons for some reason was really difficult to find for a reasonable price. And don't even get me started on the 'changeling' equivalent. Can't remember its name right now.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Braioch

Really? I got that sourcebook for like...5 bucks on Amazon

It's the old mage Tradition books that are ridiculous. (I am not paying you 40 bucks for a Verbena sourcebook mister Amazon seller!)
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

VonDoom

Probably different timeframes ... it was quite awhile back and I'm over in Europe, so the shipping was also a factor.

O&O

Rook Seidhr

Eh. Not much hope of this, but…it's been a month, I'll give it a bump.

Muse

Well, with a group like this, I'll aply to play a vampire, but i'm certainly not qualified to run it!
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rook Seidhr

MadJackal

The Kindred of the East, that's the Kuei-Jin right ?

Rook Seidhr

Yes, though that name is the sort of thing only someone who had no appreciation of Chinese or Japanese language or history would make up. Which is why I want a GM who knows something about the subject matter, to correct the stupidity.

Marie Reynolds

I could assist an st since i have some familiarity with asian culture. I do not think i could run a game cause a running forum games would play to my weak points as an st.

Rook Seidhr

Elven Sex Goddess

I would like to see a kindred of the east game.   For it has its own distinctive flavor.

QuoteAs with the Kindred, Kuei-jin belong to different social classes, but there the similarity ends. The two main criteria for status among Kindred, namely age and generation, occupy different positions in Kuei-jin society. Because there is no Embrace or Curse for the Kuei-jin, there exists no generation. Physical age is respected in twofold fashion, as both a reflection of one's ability to survive for several centuries and a measure of significant progress toward fulfilling one's Dharma.

In essence, Kuei-jin society is predicated upon an intertwining of spiritual advancement and political initiative. Within courts and Dharmas, and amid the larger Kuei-jin community, social status marks a vampire's communion with the proximity to the Great Cycle. The particular categories that Kuei-jin use to describe their social place demonstrate the importance placed upon spiritual completeness. As a Kuei-jin progresses along his Dharma, he earns higher status within soceity, but also receives responsibilities and obligations that he is expected to fulfill. 

Whether a game is run in say the green courts in Korea,   or the golden courts of China.   Or perhaps in Japan with such as house Bishoman or the Southern courts and the mighty penangallans.

QuoteUnlike wu, courts exist primarily to meet social and political needs. Courts commonly form when allied wu gather to fulfill a particular purpose or purposes, such as governing a region, advancing political agenda in the mortal world or guarding a dragon nest. Over time, these various courts develop their own rituals, traditions, power bases, and mortal smokescreens. Courts are most similar to such Western institutions as the anarchs, the Harpies or the Inconnu; in some ways, they can be though of as extended (and not always harmonious) coteries.

The court dynamic is one factor I think to truly bring such a game to life a coterie that has a ongoing objective that draws those along different dharmas to work together.   

Braioch

I am still incredibly down for this, just again, as a player not a GM lol

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

VonDoom

I, too, am still interested as a player.

O&O

Mnemaxa

....I'll bite. 

How many interested players do we have, and what kind of situations would the players be truly interested in?  I am familiar enough with Chinese mythology and culture to run a Golden Courts game with a cushion of wuxia stylization, and I have an abiding fondness for the Kuei-jin (the only kind of vampire game I can tolerate, really). 

The main problem will be putting together a wu, as I have the sneaking suspicion that even attempting to put together a traditional wu will be next t impossible.  But, if the interested players would be kind enough to post a very brief character concept (VERY brief, like a sentence or two!) and their preferred dharma path (no heretics allowed, sorry) I'll make a determination of whether or not I can run something effective for it. 

Also let me know if you folks would prefer system+dice, or system+no dice (such as used by Amber Diceless, where I would decide contests based on your dots, your character decisions, and your levels of chi as 'randomizers').  I could run the game no system or even no system+dice if people would like more of a collective storytelling situation with an overarching plot woven into it.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Mnemaxa on September 26, 2015, 02:19:06 AM
How many interested players do we have, and what kind of situations would the players be truly interested in?
Count me as still very interested.

Situations: shadow wars against other wu, real war against the Scorpion Eaters, trying to survive court politics, trying to understand one's dharma. Spirit world stuff is OK but probably won't be my character's strong point (unusually for me). Not interested in fighting Cainites or in more than minimal crossover involvement from other creature types.

Concept: corrupt cop who was executed by his criminal masters for failing them. Preferred dharma: Thrashing Dragon.

I am not interested in "systemless" games. I am willing to play without dice (or dice-lite) if that is the consensus, but would prefer to use dice.

VonDoom

Still very interested as well. I'd prefer to use the actual KotE rules and system. My main focus in most RPs goes towards social scenes and challenges, though Spirit World and Dharma philosophy are also something I'd like to see very much.

For my character idea, I'm assuming we're in China since it was mentioned (wasn't Golden Courts Vietnam, though?). It could be easily adjusted for Korea or Japan as well.

Concept: Japanese military captain stationed in China during WWI, sympathized with the locals and began treating his soldiers with increasing cruelty and harsh punishments for their actions until his own men killed him.

Dharma: Howl of the Devil Tiger. Direction: North.

O&O

Mnemaxa

Quote from: VonDoom on September 26, 2015, 06:06:18 AM
Still very interested as well. I'd prefer to use the actual KotE rules and system. My main focus in most RPs goes towards social scenes and challenges, though Spirit World and Dharma philosophy are also something I'd like to see very much.

For my character idea, I'm assuming we're in China since it was mentioned (wasn't Golden Courts Vietnam, though?). It could be easily adjusted for Korea or Japan as well.

Concept: Japanese military captain stationed in China during WWI, sympathized with the locals and began treating his soldiers with increasing cruelty and harsh punishments for their action until his own men killed him.

Dharma: Howl of the Devil Tiger. Direction: North.

You are correct, golden courts is Vietnam.  It's been a while since I cracked the books.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Marie Reynolds

I am still interested  will be able to think of a concept later the time to get ready for work is soon approaching.

Marie Reynolds

Hmm i am thinking of a healer and guru concept  I am debating between thrashing dragon or Resplendent Crane. Though leaning to crane to avoid having two thrashing dragons . I would prefer a system game as well.