Movies You Feel Bad About Not Liking?

Started by LostInTheMist, January 15, 2015, 06:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTheMist

Okay, not literally "feel bad", but more like, "don't understand why you don't like a given movie".

So, we have all had big build ups to occasional movies, which have then fallen far short of our expectations. Or there's a classic movie out there that we just don't like. We want to like the movie. We feel like we SHOULD like the movie, but we just don't.

For example, I am a Science Fiction nut. I love all things science fiction, from space opera, to science fantasy, to hard science fiction. Everything. Except "Blade Runner". I don't know why. I feel like I should like it. It's Science Fiction. It's Harrison Ford. It's got an interesting plot, some fun ideas, and it's an ABSOLUTE CLASSIC. And yet... I don't like it. I've watched it twice, and not enjoyed it either time. Tried again a few days ago, and turned it off halfway through. I don't know why I don't like it. Anyway, my Mom and Uncle are both Science Fiction nuts like myself (my Mom has published a trilogy of science fiction BOOKS) and they don't get it either.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Inkidu

Are you watching the Original Cut or the Director's cut that Ridley himself endorses. They're pretty radically different.

Still, go read the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick, it's what Blade Runner is based on.

EDIT: The Godfather.

Seriously, it's exactly like the Family Guy clip with me.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

GnothiSeauton

The Big Lebowski.

I didn't really find much of any amusement in it.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Zekromnomnom

I had one when I clicked on the thread and then I completely forgot what it is.

I'm kind of weird, though, and dislike a lot of things for very stupid reasons or for no reason at all. And you know I can think of at least three mainstream video games that fit that bill for me.

Oh, here's one. Almost every movie Tim Burton ever made.

Deamonbane

Silver Linings Playbook. Because I all but detest the two lead actors...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

LostInTheMist

Ah, I've never been a fan of Tim Burton either.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Zekromnomnom

I liked Nightmare Before Christmas for various reasons and the first Batman because I love Michael Keaton. But everything after, pretty much.

Beorning

I've been a Tim Burton fan... until I realized that he keeps repeating himself. That it was not a conscious choice from him to make his Batman movies gothic - that, instead, he makes *everything* gothic and he might have trouble moving out of that style.

I mean, he was supposed to make a Superman movie once... and his ideas included putting Superman into Edward Scissorhand-like costume. Because gothic Superman is *exactly* what the fans want to see...  ::)

ofDelusions

Quote from: Beorning on January 21, 2015, 04:59:33 PM
I've been a Tim Burton fan... until I realized that he keeps repeating himself. That it was not a conscious choice from him to make his Batman movies gothic - that, instead, he makes *everything* gothic and he might have trouble moving out of that style.

I mean, he was supposed to make a Superman movie once... and his ideas included putting Superman into Edward Scissorhand-like costume. Because gothic Superman is *exactly* what the fans want to see...  ::)

Heh maybe he is thinking "If they didn't want me to make it gothic why would they be hiring me?"  ;D

Nachtmahr

The biggest one for me that people tend to be upset about is probably 'Avatar'. Much like with that Family Guy clip above about the Godfather I just never cared about it. It feels like a weird, environmentalist 3D fad to me, and I find everything about it, including a large portion of it's fans, to be incredibly pretentious and preachy.

I've not even seen it, I've seen assortments, read reviews, had people insist on telling me why it's just not okay to not care about it, and yet I literally just don't give a damn. There's nothing about it that's new or original in my opinion, and it really just.. Oozes Disney.

I guess my point is that it feels more like a tech-demo than a movie to me.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Zekromnomnom

It's not just your opinion that there's nothing new about it. The plot is very similar to several other things, including a Smurfs episode and the movie Fern Gulley, which also had a similar plot, what with them shrinking the guy that was on the crew that was gonna bulldoze the forest so he could bomb around with the fairy and...see nature or whatever and come to learn its beauty.

Nachtmahr

Well, even the alien (or whatever) designs were just painfully Hollywood.. And by that I mean 'safe' and boring.

Inkidu

I've already vented my spleen about Avatar in the Bad & Ugly. The fact that it is the highest-grossing film currently causes me now small amount of irritation.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Nachtmahr on January 21, 2015, 05:30:05 PM
The biggest one for me that people tend to be upset about is probably 'Avatar'. Much like with that Family Guy clip above about the Godfather I just never cared about it. It feels like a weird, environmentalist 3D fad to me, and I find everything about it, including a large portion of it's fans, to be incredibly pretentious and preachy.

I've not even seen it, I've seen assortments, read reviews, had people insist on telling me why it's just not okay to not care about it, and yet I literally just don't give a damn. There's nothing about it that's new or original in my opinion, and it really just.. Oozes Disney.

Have you seen the image where someone describes the plot of Disney's Pocahontas and then substitutes a few words to end up with Avatar?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lux12

True Grit. There was all that fuss about it and when I finally saw it, I was underwhelmed. It seemed like they were driving at some larger theme but never got around to actually addressing it. I'm not saying they had to have a character preach about something, but it seemed like they were aiming at something thought provoking and failed to do it. I'm not complaining that it lacked depth but rather that it felt like they were aiming for depth but never got deeper than a foot so to speak. That and it felt like a shorter movie than it was and an anti-climax. I wanted to like it more than I did because the characters had a chance to be more compelling than they were but it seemed as if the creators couldn't bring themselves to add it. There weren't even any eye dazzling gun fights or interesting plot twists. It just seemed that the film was way overhyped. It wasn't bad, but it simply disappointed me.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Oniya on January 21, 2015, 06:50:08 PM
Have you seen the image where someone describes the plot of Disney's Pocahontas and then substitutes a few words to end up with Avatar?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I'd heard about people comparing the two, and then other other people getting unreasonably upset for no apparent reason about it. x3

SapphireStar

Amazing Spider-Man.

I tried to like it, but it felt it lacked something. Some of the actors looked as if they wanted to be anywhere else but in the movie. The plot was disconnected. I enjoyed Sam Raimi's Spider-man. It was a good attempt, and had that comic book feel to it when it came to the action sequences, plus Bruce Campbell  O:) and J.K. Simmons was awesome as J. Jonah Jameson.

CaptainNexus616

I think I would like Webb's Spidey films better too if it had J.K. Simmons in it as well :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhze-CEdcU&x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&feature=player_detailpage
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Inkidu

Quote from: Lux12 on January 22, 2015, 01:08:57 PM
True Grit. There was all that fuss about it and when I finally saw it, I was underwhelmed. It seemed like they were driving at some larger theme but never got around to actually addressing it. I'm not saying they had to have a character preach about something, but it seemed like they were aiming at something thought provoking and failed to do it. I'm not complaining that it lacked depth but rather that it felt like they were aiming for depth but never got deeper than a foot so to speak. That and it felt like a shorter movie than it was and an anti-climax. I wanted to like it more than I did because the characters had a chance to be more compelling than they were but it seemed as if the creators couldn't bring themselves to add it. There weren't even any eye dazzling gun fights or interesting plot twists. It just seemed that the film was way overhyped. It wasn't bad, but it simply disappointed me.
John Wayne version or Jeff Bridges version?

The Bridges version really plays up the naturalist movement the original story was written in, which leads itself to some really wrenching anti-climaxes.

Lux12

Quote from: Inkidu on January 25, 2015, 08:16:58 PM
John Wayne version or Jeff Bridges version?

The Bridges version really plays up the naturalist movement the original story was written in, which leads itself to some really wrenching anti-climaxes.
I saw the Bridges version.

BlueMaiden88

I can't stand the Rocky Horror Picture Show...or its following.  But apparently, it's one of those movies that Goths and/or 'progressives' love. 

Uebelator

For me its both Kill Bills and Inglorious Basterds.

To me Kill Bill felt like watching someone play Tekken for 2 hours. I just found it so terribly boring even though I probably should have liked it for all the quotes and blood.

And Inglorious Basterds... Well... Christoph Waltz was amazing in that one.
But I have a little problem with the movie and thats the propaganda-factor. Theres this movie in the movie, a black and white, german propaganda-flick, where a lonely german sharpshooter kills dozens of american soldiers. That movie has been labeled propaganda. Evil.
But wait... What is Inglorious Basterds about? A group of lonely american soldiers killing dozens of Nazis. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with Nazis being the villains like they were in the Indiana Jones-movies, but here I have the feeling, Tarantino expects me to jump from my seat shouting HELL YEAH!, when Brad Pitt gives his "Every one of you owes me 10 Nazi-Skulls"-speech or when the bear-jew bashes that Nazis head with his baseball bat.
And for me thats not any better than that Nazi-propaganda movie.

Inkidu

Quote from: Uebelator on February 04, 2015, 07:16:12 AM
For me its both Kill Bills and Inglorious Basterds.

To me Kill Bill felt like watching someone play Tekken for 2 hours. I just found it so terribly boring even though I probably should have liked it for all the quotes and blood.

And Inglorious Basterds... Well... Christoph Waltz was amazing in that one.
But I have a little problem with the movie and thats the propaganda-factor. Theres this movie in the movie, a black and white, german propaganda-flick, where a lonely german sharpshooter kills dozens of american soldiers. That movie has been labeled propaganda. Evil.
But wait... What is Inglorious Basterds about? A group of lonely american soldiers killing dozens of Nazis. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with Nazis being the villains like they were in the Indiana Jones-movies, but here I have the feeling, Tarantino expects me to jump from my seat shouting HELL YEAH!, when Brad Pitt gives his "Every one of you owes me 10 Nazi-Skulls"-speech or when the bear-jew bashes that Nazis head with his baseball bat.
And for me thats not any better than that Nazi-propaganda movie.
Nazis are evil though, so it's cool? :\

It's literally a movie where no one can complain about the Nazi killing though.

I see what you mean. :\

Beorning

For me, it's some of the horror classics.

For once, I've long heard how The Exorcist is one of the finest horror movies out there. Finally, I've watched it two years ago... and it really disappointed me. I actually found that movie boring...

Also, Suspiria. Again, a movie that often comes up when discussing good horror films. Some people consider it one of the scariest movies of all time. I've seen it and... I really didn't find it that scary. It's atmospheric, it has nice cinematography, but still... I really don't get why it's considered so good.

The latest example is the famous Black Sunday from 1960. Again, I've read that it's a fantastic movie etc. Recently, I had an opportunity to see it. And for me, it was a snorefest. I don't get the appeal at all...

Thesunmaid

Any of the new bat man movies. I love christian bale...but...he is just not bat man to me. Heath ledger at the joker was pretty amazing so that saved that one movie for me...but the rest of it...the plot seems like it took a half hour to write over chicken wings and a bong. Everyone goes on and on about it but to me...honestly I was like...uhh...yay...for batman..But yeah. Just could not get into it..Also...the voice...its like he gargled with thumbtacks and half the time you have to sort of concentrate to be able to make out what he said.

I told someone this and they sent me this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc

I was like yes! that's exactly what i am fucking well talking about...why does he sound like he is trying to cough something up when he talks? And also he crashes the bat bike...I mean...is this his first time driving one? Bale in that movie made bat man seem like he was just some guy cosplaying and had rich parents to buy him shit which he proceeded to crash. 

Some people get mad at me for it but he seemed inept and totally new to the whole being a super hero thing. Also...Anne Hathaway as catwoman...just...no...Eartha Kitt had that sort of natural purr to her voice....Michelle Pfeiffer pulled off the leather and the attitude...Hell even Haley Berry was kind of awesome if you completly ignored the comic books and just enjoyed Haley Berry in leather running around kicking ass...but I see Anne Hatheway and i think...shes the cute dork...not the bitchy dominant cat in leather...I don't hate her as an actress..Just not as cat woman.

Also pretty much any movie that thinks taking off a girls glasses makes her instantly hot. Like with the glasses there is no way a woman can be a sex kitten. Hello?! The sexy librarian...hell the baroness...she made glasses and leather look hot together. I would like to think I can pull off the hot bitch with or with out my glasses lol. But I have been told there is something about a woman looking at you with lust in her eyes staring at you over your glasses.(maybe this is just me?)
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking