Shattered Star [Pathfinder]

Started by BraveEarth, May 26, 2013, 12:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

Even beyond both being sorc, the linnorn and draconic are identical except for the L1 power and bloodline arcana. The chars won't be able to help but be similar since the PF bloodlines are extremely rigid
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Question Mark

Quote from: AndyZ on June 04, 2013, 12:55:15 PM
Even beyond both being sorc, the linnorn and draconic are identical except for the L1 power and bloodline arcana. The chars won't be able to help but be similar since the PF bloodlines are extremely rigid

Ah, I see.  I typed my earlier message on my iTouch, and the PFSRD is a nightmare on mobile, so I didn't look too much into it.  Now that I'm on a proper computer, I see what you mean.  Now, I personally don't care much about mechanics or party roles or other behind-the-scenes stuff, like worrying if two characters are functionally similar.  Story and flavor trump metagaming in my book, so I'd be fine if my character was mechanically analogous to another.  But then again, it's not my game, so that's your prerogative Brave.

Callie Del Noire

I like the take on my guy.. but trying to find a better 'short and sweet' name..

I'm open for suggestions.

Question Mark

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 04, 2013, 02:04:50 PM
I like the take on my guy.. but trying to find a better 'short and sweet' name..

I'm open for suggestions.

Can't get much shorter than Runt, although I'll admit it's not very "sweet."

Maybe something exotic yet non-nickname-ish, like Silas, Ervin, Iliad, Carn, Ral, or Z'weh?  Just some random names I thought of.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Question Mark on June 04, 2013, 02:22:19 PM
Can't get much shorter than Runt, although I'll admit it's not very "sweet."

Maybe something exotic yet non-nickname-ish, like Silas, Ervin, Iliad, Carn, Ral, or Z'weh?  Just some random names I thought of.

It's not supposed to be.. remember he never met another elf till he was in his 30s.. he's been a slave, serf, thief, and more in his century of life. Not many 'good things'. He's live hand to mouth for a long long time.

Question Mark

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 04, 2013, 02:25:49 PM
It's not supposed to be.. remember he never met another elf till he was in his 30s.. he's been a slave, serf, thief, and more in his century of life. Not many 'good things'. He's live hand to mouth for a long long time.

Well, I was referring to your "short and sweet" comment in the previous post; I suppose I took the second part too literally :P

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Question Mark on June 04, 2013, 02:37:46 PM
Well, I was referring to your "short and sweet" comment in the previous post; I suppose I took the second part too literally :P
No worries.. just trying to come up with something 'short/curt'. Runt sorta fits.. but still  looking.

He's is going to be my first chance to play up the 'forlorn' society of elves. I still don't have a good feel  for the Elven society in Society play..which is why I haven't played an elf in PAthfinder Society play yet.

Of course I'm really looking forward to play my halfling witch next.. a massive mean jinxer. :D

EroticFantasyAuthor

Sorry I seem to be taking so long on my character, I'm trying to get him built and compiled as soon as possible and will hopefully have him complete either tonight(Tuesday) or tomorrow(Wednesday).

BraveEarth

Quote from: Question Mark on June 04, 2013, 02:00:25 PM
Ah, I see.  I typed my earlier message on my iTouch, and the PFSRD is a nightmare on mobile, so I didn't look too much into it.  Now that I'm on a proper computer, I see what you mean.  Now, I personally don't care much about mechanics or party roles or other behind-the-scenes stuff, like worrying if two characters are functionally similar.  Story and flavor trump metagaming in my book, so I'd be fine if my character was mechanically analogous to another.  But then again, it's not my game, so that's your prerogative Brave.

Yeah two sorcerers I can handle but you're stepping on not only Andys toes but potentially Phantoms as well. I would consider having two sorcerers I would not consider two with identical bloodlines. Too much incentive towards certain modes of play.

Question Mark

Meh, oh well, didn't get the application in soon enough I suppose.

I'll get to work on a new character.

EDIT: I'm thinking of a fighter, some big beefy guy with hit points and STR to spare.  We have casters, ranged, and support, so I figure a melee dude will round out the party and avoid any unsuspecting toes.  Saying it now to tentatively "claim" the role.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Sarvin Maugrim (Sheet Completed aside from Deity)

Backstory: A human might say that he spent most of a lifetime growing up. Six decades before he reached adulthood. While his body may have formed and developed more slowly than that of his human counterparts, the end result was something superior. Not only did was his lifespan almost triple that of a human's, but his mixed outsider blood granted several other benefits as well. For him, it was tougher skin that more difficult to inflict injury upon, as well as being resistant to fire. His eyes could see perfectly in pitch black darkness, not to mention that he also had a long flexible tail that proved to be rather handy in retrieving items off his person.

With strengths, there is always weakness, always a con to a pro. That stronger skin took the form of scales that covered most of his body. And that long prehensile tail? Well it was obvious indeed. His eyes were red with black slitted pupils, like those of a pit viper. Then there was his sharp pointed teeth, and while the were not bigger than those of a human, each of them ended in a sharp point. All of these things made him different, betrayed the truth of his blood to those around him.

The adults tended to simply ignore him, or simply look the other way. While the children, the children delighted in taking ever opportunity to bully him. They were sure he understood that he was a taint upon the land that needed to be cleansed. It didn't take him long to figure out that going into town alone was usually a bad idea. So he would spend most of his time at home, or playing in the trees and rivers of the neighboring forest.

His family lived on the edge of a large farming community in a rather large house, just the three of them. His mother is a Half-Elven Dervish Dancer, while his father is a Tiefling Wizard. Both parents holding some renown as adventurers, this resulted in a bit of traveling in the first thirty years of his life, before his parents "retired" to the farming town he eventually grew to dislike. Those years of travel ignited the spark of adventure within him. That dormant spark being passed down by his parents, which they made sure to awaken as early as possible. Afterall adventuring was going to be the best future for a tiefling.

He was raised upon stories of his parents' past adventures, always eager to hear more. And while he assisted them as much as he could during their traveling adventures, they always made sure he was kept out of any real danger. Each of them passing down knowledge and training that would form a good foundation for his eventual future career. From the moment he could walk, his mother taught him to dance, the fluid dervish dance, how to lose yourself in the dance and forget your worries. The dancing was a way for mother and son to further bond, spending time together with a shared interest.

The innocence of the dancing was shattered after the events of a single day when he was 48(about 12 in human years). They had bee visiting the town mainstreet as they often did, and as he often did, he wandered away from his parents to explore while they concluded their business. It seemed to be just the opportunity an older boy of 15 tried to take advantage of. He was attacked, the bully rushing at him with a dagger. His quick reactions only partially protected him as the dagger found it's into his bicep. That was when several things happened at once, the area around him became darker as he pushed the boy away with a hard punch to his jaw. He then fled in the opposite direction. His parents were not far away, his mother immediately removed the dagger and healed the wound with her bardic magic. His father barely kept himself from finding the bully and seeking revenge for his son..

As soon as they were home, his mother began training him on how to defend himself. He was given the short sword she started her adventures with and taught in it's use. A short week later he was being shown how to blend the swordplay with the once innocent dance steps he knew so well. The dancing had only been the first part of a rather effective combination. It was revealed that the dervish dance was potent lethal technique that was intended more for combat, than entertainment. The perfect technique in which to defend himself with. She confessed that she feared that something would happen, so had started building the puzzle of his self defense early. She hoped he'd never need the final pieces, but after the dagger incident, it was time to complete the puzzle.

Growing up he spent just as much time by his father's side as he did his mother's. While he was not to bother his father during study time, his father always made time for him. Even at a young age, he had a passion for magic and was always eager for his father to show him something. The older he got, the more his father taught him, the more books he was allowed to read and study. One by one each cantrip was practiced with and perfected. Only taking a break after the dagger incident to focus on using his own natural ability for springing up a patch of darkness when needed. Once that too was perfected, did his cantrips training continue. His father also taught him how to hide the more obvious parts of his body that revealed his mixed blood. What clothing would best hide his scaly skin and that long tail, to always keep his mouth covered, and lastly, his father gave him a tinted pair of goggles for his eyes.

His home was a sanctuary in a town that feared and hated him for his mixed blood. He was eager to begin his adventuring career, and while he was sad to leave his home, he happily left the town. His parents discuss with him at length what his initial plans were, the advised visiting an old friend who lived in Absalom. So that is exactly what he did, he traveled to Absalom and got in touch with someone who had been like an uncle to him. An asimar magus was to be his tutor as he joined the Pathfinder Society, a good family friend and a former member of his parents' adventuring party. He reunited with his 'uncle,' spending the better part of three decades merging the arcane and martial foundations his parents had made sure to give him. While he spent most of his time studying under his uncle, the Society was open to him. When not at his uncle's side learning further techniques, he split his time between the vast library and the weapon training grounds.

Shortly before his training completely, he began experimenting on his own, discovering a technique to us his mixed blood to further fuel his arcane magic. Once his apprenticeship was completed, he was given his first mission. He was to be shipped off to Magnimar and told to help the Venture Captain with whatever she needed. His new assignment came complete with a letter from the Varisia Venture Captain herself.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Is it acceptable for a Tiefling to have a Half-Elven mother(Father is a Tiefling)?

While Tieflings normally come from humans, would a Half-elf be human enough for it to be possible?

BraveEarth

I will get back to you on that when I have access to my computer to see about any mechanical differences but consider it a weak sure. I thought I said it earlier but I did not so this is also to say, the last three spots will stay open until the end of the deadline just to give the rest of the people who may have characters to post a fair shot.

Question Mark

You did say it earlier, but when is the deadline?

BraveEarth

BraveEarth

Half Elf Tiefling should be fine as they are the exact same size so there is literally no change other than flavor.

Question Mark

Karl Stoneblooded (WIP)
Level 1 Dwarven Fighter, Sword'n'Board
Grizzled Explorer, Longtime Pathfinder, Intentional Outcast, Front-Line Fighter, Expert Defender

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: BraveEarth on June 05, 2013, 05:43:53 PM
Half Elf Tiefling should be fine as they are the exact same size so there is literally no change other than flavor.

Thank you, just wanted to check.

Makes background crafting alot easier due to a Tiefling's long life span. Hopefully have everything done sometime later tonight or at the very least tomorrow.

What is the exact date of Summer Solstice?

Question Mark

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 05, 2013, 07:41:41 PM
Thank you, just wanted to check.

Makes background crafting alot easier due to a Tiefling's long life span. Hopefully have everything done sometime later tonight or at the very least tomorrow.

What is the exact date of Summer Solstice?

A little over two weeks from now, the 21st of this month.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Alrighty, thank you.

Heh, I'll try not to feel rushed even though there is no rush.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Question Mark on June 05, 2013, 07:44:04 PM
A little over two weeks from now, the 21st of this month.

What you need from me still? I have TWO cons back to back in the next month.. nothing but fun for a Venture officer in the PFS.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Character sheet post updated.

Anything else needed?

BraveEarth

Callie Del Noire

EroticFantasyAuthor

I'm still here, believe the deadline was the 21st.